BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

999 Challenge! - LFRS Cadets

Hello One & All,

I hope everyone is keeping safe & well.

My daughter Keira who will be 15 next week, and a fellow Rovers BBE ST Holder,  :rover:,  is a Fire Cadet with the Lancashire Fire & Rescue Service based at Preston. Every year, Firefighters & Cadets across the country take part in numerous Community events to raise money for The Fire Fighter’s Charity.

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 outbreak, events such as Car Washes, Family Fun Days etc, which raise funds vitally important to provide physical, mental & social to support to both serving & former fire fighters, have had to be cancelled.

In order to attempt to raise funds for the Fire Fighter’s Charity, Fire Cadets from across the country have been taking part in a “999 Challenge” (further details are given in the links below). The Cadets at LFRS have undertaken a challenge where 9 cadets complete 9 Fire Hose Runs over 9 days (999 ?). This isn’t as easy as it looks – believe me, I tried!

There are videos of each Cadet completing their challenge being released one a day, from Saturday 6th June. The videos, which can be viewed in the YouTube link below, contain a short piece from each Cadet regarding various aspects of Fire Safety – these also have subtitles and are signed for those who are hard of hearing.

Keira is featured in the “Day 2 – 999 Challenge” video which took place during lockdown at a play area close to our home, around lunchtime on an extremely hot day a couple of weeks ago. This was made doubly difficult as, for some reason, she chose to complete the challenge on a hill! This will explain her very red face upon completing the challenge!

Ironically, Keira’s spoken piece, before her challenge, is regarding Wild Fires and unfortunately within a day or two of recording this article, LFRS were called to two wild fires on the moors around Darwen and at Longridge Fell.  As most of you will be aware, these fires burned for days, destroying many acres of moorland in the process.

The Fire & Rescue Service are very often forgotten about, particularly in the current climate where much of the focus is, quite rightly, on the NHS. However I’m sure everyone would agree that their role in society as a frontline Emergency Service is no less important.

I would be grateful if anyone here would be able to share the links below featuring the videos which contain a number of important Fire Safety messages. There is also a link to the Fire & Rescue Service Just Giving Page  for anyone who is able to & would like to donate (for anyone who is able to donate and a UK tax payer, please tick the Gift Aid Box). Each unit has a target of, yes you guessed it £999!

Whilst I would obviously like everyone to donate to the Lancs Fire Cadets where Keira is based, I appreciate that the forum has members from all over the country so people may wish donate to their local Cadet unit, if featured. Monies raised all go to the central charity fund and so there is only Regional Pride at stake! Come On Lancs!!

Many thanks in advance, and I hope you find the videos informative.

The bottom link is directly to Keira's video - the YouTube link just below will take you to the LFRS YouTube page where all the other Cadet's videos can be viewed!

https://www.youtube.com/user/LancashireFire

https://www.justgiving.com/team/ukfirecadets

https://www.firefighterscharity.org.uk/

Edited by windymiller7
Spelling
  • Like 2