BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Liverpool Friendly

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Any other clubs available to hand us a thrashing? It’s great for development!

4AFC0C5F-84CC-4D0A-A9CE-78ED6891911D.png

That type of comment worries me. We aren't the fittest team mid season when everyone should be peaking.

We have a chance and with the injured players fit, we should be right at it from the off....something tells me they'd all be happier in this division,  especially after midweek. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas....

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

I’ve seen the goals which highlighted some terrible defending

Yep. I don't think you could even call it "defending" - they were quite literally walking it in. Johnson/Tosin et al. all just standing still and doing some good old Keith Andrews pointing. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over getting a drubbing in a practice match against the best team in England by a country mile (and probably the best team in Europe too), but it does make you wonder whether they were the right sort of opponent at this stage. We shall see.

Its nice just to have some football to discuss, albeit of a slightly 'false' variety.

Don't worry if we start shipping goals when it starts again the non contact social distance training will be to blame. The boys have forgotten how to get close to people or are even a bit afraid too.

Chasing the best current team in the land around though is a good workout to be fair, better than strolling past a non league side at walking pace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Any other clubs available to hand us a thrashing? It’s great for development!

4AFC0C5F-84CC-4D0A-A9CE-78ED6891911D.png

Haha, I'd almost forgotten how ridiculous his senile ramblings were. Getting embarrased 6-0 and run ragged by a much better side is just what I wanted. 

21 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Don't worry if we start shipping goals when it starts again the non contact social distance training will be to blame. The boys have forgotten how to get close to people or are even a bit afraid too.

Chasing the best current team in the land around though is a good workout to be fair, better than strolling past a non league side at walking pace.

I still think a proper training session would have been more sensible. 

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over getting a drubbing in a practice match against the best team in England by a country mile (and probably the best team in Europe too), but it does make you wonder whether they were the right sort of opponent at this stage. We shall see.

Its nice just to have some football to discuss, albeit of a slightly 'false' variety.

It was a game to beef up fitness. IT's nto worth getting worked up over.

The Rovers players certainty got their exercise in being run all over the place by Liverpool. I reckon that Mowbray is pretty happy with it all.

It was a friendly, he won't care that it was 6-0. 

4 hours ago, rigger said:

I still think a proper training session would have been more sensible. 

They'll probably have another more even friendly before it gets going again. Even if you are competitive and ship a few less against a side like Liverpool you're still never going to be able to play your own brand of football. 

All about getting some mins in the lets again i think.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It was a game to beef up fitness. IT's nto worth getting worked up over.

The Rovers players certainty got their exercise in being run all over the place by Liverpool. I reckon that Mowbray is pretty happy with it all.

It was a friendly, he won't care that it was 6-0. 

Agreed that in the grand scheme of things it was probably worthwhile. It does underline the massive gulf that exists now between where we are and where we would like to be (or would we??). Any thoughts around promotion to the Prem at this point are probably delusional, and best kept under wraps, as we would be exposed mercilessly week in, week out, regardless of our proud history or fire in our bellies.

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Agreed that in the grand scheme of things it was probably worthwhile. It does underline the massive gulf that exists now between where we are and where we would like to be (or would we??). Any thoughts around promotion to the Prem at this point are probably delusional, and best kept under wraps, as we would be exposed mercilessly week in, week out, regardless of our proud history or fire in our bellies.

giphy.gif

I'm a bit concerned about what the drubbing, regardless of the unquestioned quality of the opposition, will do to our confidence in the lead up to returning. As you say, it underlines the current gulf in standards, so is hardly going to encourage the lads that they're good enough to step up and play those kinds of teams regularly. At the same time, I don't personally buy this notion I keep seeing that the club shouldn't go up yet because the current crop aren't good enough to play there. Whilst I can see that it undermines the current players' confidence about stepping up, that's basically irrelevant if we did manage to get promoted. With a Premiership place comes Premiership riches, and considerable scope to recruit better players, such as we can only dream of until we get there.

The break and a buildup friendly was a great chance to restore some confidence for a team that was out of form before it. For me, we've completely spunked that away by deciding to play arguably the best team in the world in this fixture, and now might as well not have had the break (other than giving Holtby time to recover). Another Championship side would have presented the best balance between challenge and potential restoration of confidence. I don't know if we still plan to play one though.

Edited by bluebruce

4 hours ago, Prelude said:

Oddly, I enjoyed those.

I said it at the time he signed but if published figures are true Minamino cost not much more that Brereton. I know who I'd rather have.

What's the point of playing possibly one of the 5 or so best sides in the world at this stage of the season? Perhaps if we were fighting relegation and needed to put the defense through the wringer, but we're looking to push on towards top 6! Has to have been some sort of economic incentive. 

5 hours ago, Mr. E said:

Like why does Mowbray have to make such comments? Is he afraid for his job and is desperately trying to spin things for Venkys? I doubt it. Or is a 6-0 tonking really "just what he wanted" ? 

I think after this series of games , many more people will be after Mowbray , I cannot see us being up for it ..

Let's not read into this too much though. The game was reffed and linesmanned by Liverpool staff. Mane's goal (the 1st goal) was a mile offside and 5-0 away at the best team in the world really isn't that awful. We beat Sheffield Wednesday 5-0 a few months back and if we played them tomorrow there's still a decent chance we'd lose.