BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City (H) - Saturday 20th June - 3pm KO

My last memory of Rovers was sitting in a car park for an hour after watching a hopeless performance against Derby. I just had a read of Bristol fans on twitter, know how they feel.

So tonight, I’m thoroughly gonna enjoy this win with multiple beers.

• Like 4

Buzzing to win today, even better with Luton nicking a point off PNE. How many times have we won games this season and not seemed to move up the table?! 1 point off the playoffs now, despite every media outlet seemingly writing us off. Let’s hope we can keep building momentum, if we win at Wigan I’ll start dreaming. It would be typical Rovers if we were to get to Wembley and none of us could bloody go ? COYB, hope you’re all keeping well people ??

• Like 8

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Samuel was decent, don't think we should keep him around though

Really harsh in my opinion. He did everything right today. Scored within 10 minutes of his re-debut against Hull after a long injury, played well away at Charlton when he got a start, and provided some real threat and pressure going forward off the bench today. Samuel showed more than Gallagher in his sub appearance today. Great pass through to Armstrong who missed his chance, but just very calm and composed to find that ball and not be greedy. I was thoroughly impressed with him and to be honest I don't know that there's much more he can do to earn a contract other than play with the same effort and intensity he did today.

The fact Samuel’s been generally bang average throughout his time here would be a good enough reason for me.

Give him another month, obviously, then both sides move on if we actually have aspirations to keep improving the side.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

My favourite thing was actually that we brought on 2 strikers immediately after we went up 2-1. Not sure if that was planned or not, but that gave us extra momentum and 100% carried us to victory. There is so much fear from managers to do that, yet more often than not it brings results.

• Like 2

It was a discussion on the academy thread, but it's more relevant here now. Comments were made regarding Joe Rankin-Costello by many posters, some differing opinions, as I'm sure there will be of his performance today.

But i just want to say really quickly that Eliasson (one of the better wingers in this division) didn't make a mockery of him today. He beat him once after about 10 minutes and I thought, oh dear here we go. Outside of that however, JRC was capable. He played some great balls down the line for Brereton first half, and despite being a mainly attacking based player, who isn't left-footed, he looked more comfortable and relaxed at left-back than Amari'i Bell has since he joined in January 2018.

Such a shame his goal didn't stand because I think it would've been a great booster for him. I just hope people can look at his body language, the composure and the mental side of his game today and say yeah, fair enough, this kids got a hell of a lot of potential.

Outside of that, upon reflection and without the "WHAT A WIN" tinted glasses that linger in the immediate aftermath of a game ending - my ratings for today:

Walton - 5

Bennett - 7
Lenihan - 7
Tosin - 9
Rankin-Costello - 7

Travis - 8
Evans - 9.5 (MOTM)
Downing - 7

Gallagher - 6
Holtby - 6
Brereton - 7

SUBS:
Armstrong - 7
Johnson - 5
Graham - 6
Samuel - 7
Davenport - 6

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The fact Samuel’s been generally bang average throughout his time here would be a good enough reason for me.

Give him another month, obviously, then both sides move on if we actually have aspirations to keep improving the side.

Better than Gallagher, by a LONG shot. 

1 minute ago, Mr. E said:

My favourite thing was actually that we brought on 2 strikers immediately after we went up 2-1. Not sure if that was planned or not, but that gave us extra momentum and 100% carried us to victory. There is so much fear from managers to do that, yet more often than not it brings results.

TM had no fans to barrack him, perhaps it made him more adventurous?

Just now, Mr. E said:

Not just the result, when we brought on strikers we kept the pressure on them. It made for a relaxed watch the last 10 minutes.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Real race to the bottom this!

The fact Gallagher’s not much cop either doesn’t mean DS is good enough for a play off chasing team. Difference is one is under contract, one isn’t,

It's not a race to the bottom. I think DS shows a lot of promise. He scored straight away after returning from injury and every game he's played in since he's been good. He has a better passing range than every other striker we have, work ethic, clearly can score, is better than at least one, if not two, of our other striking options at the club in general anyway! It baffles me as to why we'd let him go when he's showing all the signs of maturing into a very capable substitute striker? 

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Real race to the bottom this!

The fact Gallagher’s not much cop either doesn’t mean DS is good enough for a play off chasing team. Difference is one is under contract, one isn’t,

Have you had a good night tonight?

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It's not a race to the bottom. I think DS shows a lot of promise. He scored straight away after returning from injury and every game he's played in since he's been good. He has a better passing range than every other striker we have, work ethic, clearly can score, is better than at least one, if not two, of our other striking options at the club in general anyway! It baffles me as to why we'd let him go when he's showing all the signs of maturing into a very capable substitute striker? 

Showing a bit of form when chasing a new deal after offering very little throughout your time at a club is something you see time and again with footballers. A reversion to the mean next season is to be expected. 

But this is a pointless discussion anyway as I imagine he will get a new deal as he’ll be cheap and we won’t be seeing DG again after July.

Edited by Mattyblue

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I thiught you were saying he should go the other day.....

Personally i think there's a player in there and i think Tony likes him.

18 hours ago, JoeH said:

Really harsh in my opinion. He did everything right today. Scored within 10 minutes of his re-debut against Hull after a long injury, played well away at Charlton when he got a start, and provided some real threat and pressure going forward off the bench today. Samuel showed more than Gallagher in his sub appearance today. Great pass through to Armstrong who missed his chance, but just very calm and composed to find that ball and not be greedy. I was thoroughly impressed with him and to be honest I don't know that there's much more he can do to earn a contract other than play with the same effort and intensity he did today.

Hes scored about 20 goals in his career at the age of 26. The goal v Hull was his first in something like 2 years. He was decent at Charlton but a goal and a decent performance isnt enough to give him a new contract at a supposedly Premier League chasing side.

Gallagher isnt good enough either so isnt a good benchmark but is contracted unfortunately for a few more years. Samuel was ok when he came on today but hardly remarkable enough to merit a new deal.

Edited by roversfan99

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I thiught you were saying he should go the other day.....

Personally i think there's a player in there and i think Tony likes him.

Agreed, Samuel has shown he’s no worse then Gallagher since his injury, if anything more useful.

• Like 1