BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City (H) - Saturday 20th June - 3pm KO

Will be interesting to see how we get on in empty grounds. We seem to have precious little lambs playing for us who think they should be excused from any criticism. So could work in our favour plus it’s not exactly like we’re roared on at home or put massive pressure on the refs.

I reckon a good feature on that ifollow would be in the last 5 minutes a vote on what noise to play at full time. From full hearted ovation, apathetic applause, murmurings of discontent to hostile booing. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Interesting to hear Colin Murray and Dean Ashton waxing lyrical on Quest about our strength in depth...

I would agree everywhere except upfront, where I feel we have mediocrity in depth. Gallagher, Samuel and Brereton are not promotion material. 

As for promotion, stranger things have happened (on Fantasy Island)    Da plane, Da plane" Tattoo, Fantasy Island ~D~ (With images ...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Which is baffling to me as SG really is terrible at winning the ball in that way.....in any way really come to think of it

You have to treat him like he's a 5'10" striker. He WILL win some headers, but it's not a focal point of his game.

4 hours ago, neophox said:

Joe had a good game at left back. I wonder if Bell will get in the side for the last eight games. 

I think he will. If there is one feature of Mowbray’s tenure it’s that he would rather rotate and keep everyone happy than stick with a form player. Even at the expense of results.

Think Joe (who I like the look of) benefited in the second half from the dominant team display. They couldn't get Eliasson running at him nearly as much which was a worry in the first 45.

The lad deserves a pat on the back and to stay in the managers thoughts, but I'd be happier going into the Wigan game with a recognised left back, not overly bothered if it's Bell or Williams. 

• Like 1

Just thinking back to the first match of the season and a home defeat to Charlton. All seemed doom and gloom.

Considering we haven't really set the world alight this season we are in an amazingly good position after the first match of the restarted campaign. Genuine hope building up some confidence for the final push.

I presume most people watched on Ifollow. I used the traditional method and listened to Radio Lancs. Andy Bayes mentioned that Brereton looked to have beefed up a bit and looked stronger for it.

Kevin Gallacher replied with a comment I am still trying to unravel. He said "name me nobody who has not gained weight during the lockdown". Class commentary.

• Like 4

I think Rovers should just go game to game and not set targets. Treat each game as a one off. Huddersfield were rank bad poor according to their fans and were not complimenting Wigan as being good. A win there will start to raise eyebrows

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Just thinking back to the first match of the season and a home defeat to Charlton. All seemed doom and gloom.

Considering we haven't really set the world alight this season we are in an amazingly good position after the first match of the restarted campaign. Genuine hope building up some confidence for the final push.

I presume most people watched on Ifollow. I used the traditional method and listened to Radio Lancs. Andy Bayes mentioned that Brereton looked to have beefed up a bit and looked stronger for it.

Kevin Gallacher replied with a comment I am still trying to unravel. He said "name me nobody who has not gained weight during the lockdown". Class commentary.

One of my favourite things about football is the platform it gives uneducated people to show off their grammar, or lack thereof. Some of these ex pro commentators are genuinely thick. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeH said:

I don't recall saying Samuel should go, maybe I did but I don't recall. Maybe I was talking about his departure as something I assumed would happen. But I think there's a player there and he's better than half of the strikers we have at the club.

I don't understand the mentality of comparing him against other players that you dont think are up to it though. It seems illogical to use the benchmark of a player you dont rate.

He was ok yesterday and did well when he played the correct ball on the counter attack, but essentially that is all he did, hardly the protagonist for discussions over a new deal.

He is a 26 year old striker with around 20 career goals, 1 of which has come since November 2017. He got a few goals early on in the season in League 1 and played his part before being phased out for a much more effective striker in Graham.

You mentioned his work rate and he did seem up for it yesterday and in games prior to lockdown but I have seen him quite a few times look disinterested and even petulant.

The thing with him, Gallagher and Brereton is that they all have attributes, they are all athletic players but they differ from Armstrong in that even though Armstrongs final decision lacks composure, he regularly ends up in shooting positions and offers a goal threat.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Interested to know what they thought they fell victim too?

Also their gaffer looked like a baseball coach on the sideline.

I have never cared about Wigan before, but the way their fans treated Dack when he got hurt, I hope we tear them apart. 

My boozing is carrying on well into the night tonight! 

Plus the fact the wigan player gave him a nudge which I think helped toward Dack getting injured.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't understand the mentality of comparing him against other players that you dont think are up to it though. It seems illogical to use the benchmark of a player you dont rate.

He was ok yesterday and did well when he played the correct ball on the counter attack, but essentially that is all he did, hardly the protagonist for discussions over a new deal.

He is a 26 year old striker with around 20 career goals, 1 of which has come since November 2017. He got a few goals early on in the season in League 1 and played his part before being phased out for a much more effective striker in Graham.

You mentioned his work rate and he did seem up for it yesterday and in games prior to lockdown but I have seen him quite a few times look disinterested and even petulant.

The thing with him, Gallagher and Brereton is that they all have attributes, they are all athletic players but they differ from Armstrong in that even though Armstrongs final decision lacks composure, he regularly ends up in shooting positions and offers a goal threat.

I think we're pretty down on our own players to be honest. Armstrong has been absolutely phenomenal in 2020, Travis and Lenihan are as good as anyone in their positions in the league. Downing, Evans, Tosin, Nyambe, Holtby all look the part for a top six side. Fair enough Brereton and Gallagher have been very poor, but largely the team's done well this season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I would agree everywhere except upfront, where I feel we have mediocrity in depth. Gallagher, Samuel and Brereton are not promotion material. 

As for promotion, stranger things have happened (on Fantasy Island)    Da plane, Da plane" Tattoo, Fantasy Island ~D~ (With images ...

The goalkeeping department  is a lot more worrying ....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think we're pretty down on our own players to be honest. Armstrong has been absolutely phenomenal in 2020, Travis and Lenihan are as good as anyone in their positions in the league. Downing, Evans, Tosin, Nyambe, Holtby all look the part for a top six side. Fair enough Brereton and Gallagher have been very poor, but largely the team's done well this season.

I dont really understand that as a reply to my point which was about Samuel and also mentioned Brereton and Gallagher who Samuel is competing against but have differing lengths of comtracts.

The point about Armstrong was that he offers a goal threat that the others dont. 

I would say that Lenihan, Travis, Holtby, Nyambe, Downing, Armstrong etc are all universally rated by our fans so not sure how we are down on our players but again it has no relevance to my post about Samuel.

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Yes, I think Walton has made a few memorable mistakes-probably not as many as Gallagher, although obviously more costly. As for Brereton, most of us are so des[perate that we alight on any small crumb of hope. Yesterday's slip was so cruel in the circumstances.

The slip by Brereton was so cruel on him given his history here to date. 

If he'd been the only player to slip yesterday maybe you could say it was typical of his time here but so many players were slipping in the second half I think you can put it down to rank bad luck.

I don't know why we water and water the pitch when it doesn't really need it. We water it heavily at HT in winter when its chucking it down with rain as well.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The slip by Brereton was so cruel on him given his history here to date. 

If he'd been the only player to slip yesterday maybe you could say it was typical of his time here but so many players were slipping in the second half I think you can put it down to rank bad luck.

I don't know why we water and water the pitch when it doesn't really need it. We water it heavily at HT in winter when its chucking it down with rain as well.

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wonder if that keeper from Sunderland is available now? 

Has to be an improvement on Walton even if he's only average.

I think with Breretons slip, he did touch it round the keeper quite clumsily which then left the ball slightly behind him as he rounded the keeper which didnt help with his balance, although it may have been the only way to round him. You are right though about the pitch being over watered.

McLaughlin has been offered a new contract at Sunderland, Mowbray basically said that any new signings are on hold last week. The standard of goalkeeping at this level is shocking, I would say that Walton has had an ok loan spell here but equally he has made I would suggest close to double figures in terms of mistakes leading to goals.

4 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

Division was there for the taking this season.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont really understand that as a reply to my point which was about Samuel and also mentioned Brereton and Gallagher who Samuel is competing against but have differing lengths of comtracts.

The point about Armstrong was that he offers a goal threat that the others dont. 

I would say that Lenihan, Travis, Holtby, Nyambe, Downing, Armstrong etc are all universally rated by our fans so not sure how we are down on our players but again it has no relevance to my post about Samuel.

Not picking on you specifically, just I guess I feel there's endless stick on here (including from me) about Brereton and Gallagher but not much praise about Armstrong, Lenihan, Travis etc whose had a phenomenal seasons.

We've got four players now who are really top class in this division  - Lenihan, Travis, Dack, Armstrong. If we can get a good keeper and hold onto them thats a really excellent back bone to the team. Most promising squad we've had since Cairney left imo.

21 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Real race to the bottom this!

The fact Gallagher’s not much cop either doesn’t mean DS is good enough for a play off chasing team. Difference is one is under contract, one isn’t,

With the scarcity of  finances and the re-opening of the Season in doubt(for spectators) we have to get rid of everyone who's contract is running out;Exception is Stuart Downing; Mulgrew is on 99 appearances for some time now(so we will not see him again); Bell should have not got an automatic extension -get Wharton at left back and strengthen the defensive aspects. Youth Team on 2k per week is better than chasing 'mercenaries' on £10k+ per week. And we have to start breeding some Centre-Forwards -unless we convert one of our many centre halves a la Fred Pickering.

By doing this we get ahead of the curve.

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Not picking on you specifically, just I guess I feel there's endless stick on here (including from me) about Brereton and Gallagher but not much praise about Armstrong, Lenihan, Travis etc whose had a phenomenal seasons.

We've got four players now who are really top class in this division  - Lenihan, Travis, Dack, Armstrong. If we can get a good keeper and hold onto them thats a really excellent back bone to the team. Most promising squad we've had since Cairney left imo.

I think to be fair if you was to look back after each game, when those players play well they will receive the praise they deserve.

The issue with Brereton and Gallagher is that because they warrant more criticism, it sparks more conversation because there are people who defend the signings so it naturally provokes debate whereas with players like Travis etc there are very few alternative opinions aside from positive ones. Also Gallagher and Brereton represent the majority of our recent budget and of course then provide a further conversation and how much further on we could have been had we spent that money elsewhere.

Since that last team was broken up which was 8th/9th this is undoubtedly the best weve seen since, as shown by the league table. To be fair, that as a title does the side a little bit of disservice I would say due to the teams we have had in that period. Comparing this current team/squad to the team Bowyer had I think would show that the likes of Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney and Conway were as good as youd find in the division so were a step up from our squad now, but equally we had some players featuring regularly like Lowe, Henley, Williamson, Chris Taylor etc who were well below the standard required.

8 minutes ago, mhead said:

With the scarcity of  finances and the re-opening of the Season in doubt(for spectators) we have to get rid of everyone who's contract is running out;Exception is Stuart Downing; Mulgrew is on 99 appearances for some time now(so we will not see him again); Bell should have not got an automatic extension -get Wharton at left back and strengthen the defensive aspects. Youth Team on 2k per week is better than chasing 'mercenaries' on £10k+ per week. And we have to start breeding some Centre-Forwards -unless we convert one of our many centre halves a la Fred Pickering.

By doing this we get ahead of the curve.

Terry Eccles was a centre half we converted to centre forward. He wasn't bad.