BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Athletic (A) - Saturday 27th June (3pm)

3 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That's interesting. Maybe someone else is injured then because I couldn't imagine Downing, Evans or Travis being left out if fit.

It could well be wrong Andy but the bloke who told me read it out from his phone. I may have misheard but I couldn't recall Evans' name being read out.

Just now, arbitro said:

It could well be wrong Andy but the bloke who told me read it out from his phone. I may have misheard but I couldn't recall Evans' name being read out.

He must be injured then Tony. He was awesome last week.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Walton

Tosin Lenihan Mulgrew

Nyambe Travis Evans Downing

Holtby

Arma  Brereton

Gallagher will be shoe horned in somewhere, god only knows why.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I don't quite agree that it's a no-brainer, mainly because I don't think that Bennett at left back is a disaster when we don't have a fit first team left back (accept that I'm probably in the minority on that one) and even though I think Downing is more than capable of doing a good job back there's still an element of risk moving him there.

That said, on balance I agree that it's probably the best move - it's the one I'd make anyway. 

If Bennett plays left back, we concede penalties.

• Like 2

A big concern for me is that this busy fixture spell is going to see Mowbray go bananas with his chopping and changing. Fair enough it is going to be tough with so many games in quick succession but I can see Mowbray confusing himself with too many changes in an effort to keep everyone on their toes and fresh and happy.

It's a fine balancing act but we've seen too many unenforced changes over the years.

I suspect Evans will be wrapped up in cotton wool despite his excellent performance last week. Barnsley will be in Mowbray's mind and he'll probably have Evans down for a start there and not want to risk him twice in 4 days. 

Thing is with Evans despite his horrible injury and long absence he himself talked about how he managed to maintain fitness quite well as it didn't prevent him working in the gym and running. Problem was always going to be contact stuff and he coped well last week.

Lack of actual competitive football just stopping dead mid season will no doubt throw up all sorts of niggles now.

They can run and cycle and kick a ball around in their gardens all they want but you can't replace competitive training ground action. Not like a normal summer off then ease back in so I understand there'll be a need to rotate a few.

• Like 2

Rarely do this but I will stick up for Bennett. He had a pretty good winger/full back combination to deal with and he hardly gave away a foul or put a foot wrong all game.

Also ZERO misplaced passes.

Please keep it up because he does bring an in your face and energy quality to the team.

Yes, I expect Tony Tombola but for a Championship side, there are a lot of goodiies and not too much sawdust in the lucky dip.

Getting way ahead of myself but if we go up through the play-offs, we have close to zero Premier League quality and likely the shortest pre-season in history.

Talking of history, our play-off hopes will be history if we don't get at least a point today- realistically we need all 3. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, philipl said:

Rarely do this but I will stick up for Bennett. He had a pretty good winger/full back combination to deal with and he hardly gave away a foul or put a foot wrong all game.

Also ZERO misplaced passes.

Please keep it up because he does bring an in your face and energy quality to the team.

Yes, I expect Tony Tombola but for a Championship side, there are a lot of goodiies and not too much sawdust in the lucky dip.

Getting way ahead of myself but if we go up through the play-offs, we have close to zero Premier League quality and likely the shortest pre-season in history.

Talking of history, our play-off hopes will be history if we don't get at least a point today- realistically we need all 3. 

Mathematically, at this time, the  only game we cannot afford to lose, is the play-off final. Obviously it will be easier if we win them all . And the situation changes with every result.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

We could possibly start this game 11th in the table if Swansea beat Luton at home, Derby beat Reading at home and Millwall beat Barnsley away. I reckon at least 2 of those will happen, possibly all 3.

Taking that into account, as much as I hate the term, this is a 'must win' folks.....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

We could possibly start this game 11th in the table if Swansea beat Luton at home, Derby beat Reading at home and Millwall beat Barnsley away. I reckon at least 2 of those will happen, possibly all 3.

Taking that into account, as much as I hate the term, this is a 'must win' folks.....

The only “ Must Win” game at the moment is the play-off final.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rigger said:

The only “ Must Win” game at the moment is the play-off final.

True, but this game when taking a look at our remaining fixtures is probably must-win if we want to be in with a chance of getting into the playoffs.