BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Athletic (A) - Saturday 27th June (3pm)

54 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

True, but this game when taking a look at our remaining fixtures is probably must-win if we want to be in with a chance of getting into the playoffs.

A win will make promotion easier, but will not guarantee it. The same as not winning will mean we can’t be promoted.

I would think the game against Cardiff would have more bearing.

Edited by rigger

8 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Really hoping we can win this, "winnable" games often seem to be our downfall.

Gallagher

Arma

Tony will play Gallagher on the wing. He just can’t see it’s a waste of a place and doesn’t work. He baffles me at times Tombola Tony. 

14 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Really hoping we can win this, "winnable" games often seem to be our downfall.

Gallagher

Arma

All games are winnable but this one is a lot tougher than the table is telling us. Have you not seen their form? 4 wins and a draw in the last 5, with 5 straight clean sheets! 21 points from the last 30.

I'd say that, and our poor record at the DW, and the way last time we beat Bristol then played Wigan saw our form collapse, the way we could get into the playoffs for the first time today...does make this a very important game, but certainly not easy. Minor derby element too.

Just for some perspective on this “winnable” game...the bookmakers had us more likely to beat Bristol City than today against Wigan. 

A draw would put some pressure on needing a win on Tuesday. 2 wins from those and we’re favourites for 6th (or 5th) spot. 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

All games are winnable but this one is a lot tougher than the table is telling us. Have you not seen their form? 4 wins and a draw in the last 5, with 5 straight clean sheets! 21 points from the last 30.

I'd say that, and our poor record at the DW, and the way last time we beat Bristol then played Wigan saw our form collapse, the way we could get into the playoffs for the first time today...does make this a very important game, but certainly not easy. Minor derby element too.

Hmm ..not sure the form guide really anything to go off with these remaining fixtures. All on the day for me .. results  could go anyway and Home advantage seems a thing of the past .Only us won last Saturday at Home ! Maybe  "Something to play for" mentality more important....?

10 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Hmm ..not sure the form guide really anything to go off with these remaining fixtures. All on the day for me .. results  could go anyway and Home advantage seems a thing of the past .Only us won last Saturday at Home ! Maybe  "Something to play for" mentality more important....?

Results can always go any way, at all times. I wasn't saying it can't be won, I'm saying it's not in the 'really should be winning' category, which the term winnable implies. All games are technically winnable.

The form guide was messed with by the break, for sure. And if Wigan had lost their last outing I wouldn't be putting much store in their previous form. But they won with a clean sheet again, and I suspect this restores their state of mind to being in that run of form. Wigan were also unlucky in a lot of games when their form was poorer. It's unlikely to be a walk in the park today.

51 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Aye it won't be easy which is why I put "winnable" (in ") but Wigan have been around the bottom of the table for most of the season.

I'll be honest, didn't realise their form was that good.

Edited by davulsukur

If the table was ordered by GD alone, we are top 6 by a few goals. Really think Brentford could make the top two, they have the best GD in the league +34 (8 and 10 more than WBA and Leeds respectively). Pretty impressive.

Edited by JacknOry

Just now, JacknOry said:

If the table was ordered by GD alone, we are top 6 by a few goals. Really think Brentford could make the top two, they have the best GD in the league +34 (8 and 10 more than WBA and Leeds respectively). Pretty impressive.

That's what happens when a manager decides to really strengthen the defence, previously conceding too many goals was their Achilles Heel.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

That's what happens when a manager decides to really strengthen the defence, previously conceding too many goals was their Achilles Heel.

Yup, Pontus Jansson seems to have shored up their defense no end (with a little help from a certain GK). 

i`ll start to get really excited if we beat the pie eaters today,wigan are just the type of team we usually capitulate to,big,strong and direct,the fact they beat huddersfield last week is also of concern,huddersfield brushed us aside at home and away,we were lucky at home and completely bullied at their place,cmon the blues get stuck in and don`t take a backward step,it`s a game that mowbray as player relished,he should have us spitting fire when we get out of the tunnel

One thing is for sure, due to the fixture list there will be surprises, not all will be welcome ones. But this time last week there was some dismay on here at the team, but that panned out well so let's be positive about what is announced in 10 mins and try to see the bigger picture.

I'd play Downing at LB, and bring in either Johnson or Rothwell depending on how TM wants to approach the game. I'd also swap Gally for Arma too. BB stays.