BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Athletic (A) - Saturday 27th June (3pm)

It’s a funny one with keepers, they always get a hard time as mistakes are highlighted and when they’re good they rarely get the spotlight. 
However, I’m racking my brain and struggling to remember when Walton has SAVED us points, had a blinder and meant we got 3 rather than 1 point. 

Could an academy keeper be any worse? At least he would be one of our own for the future.

Gallagher cannot start again given the other options we have. Tony is saving face for wasting money and a hell of a lot of wages.

Rothwell? Not a top half Championship player at the moment. For a flair/luxury player he doesn’t offer enough. 

It’s not season over yet (Swansea lost to bottom of the league today so everyone will drop points). We were underdogs today, but it’s the kind of game we need to be winning. It just means we’re going to have to come out of that 4 game horror run with more than 6 points which is very unlikely. 

• Like 4

You can't really get away from laying that at Walton's door. He drops an absolute nothing ball gifting them the opener and that is that.

I can't imagine how the rest of the players feel to see a game literally given away when being on top for the majority of it. 

If Roy Keane would be swinging punches at De Gea he'd have been on a murder charge with Walton.

Edited by LDRover
  • Like 4

All round average performance. Without travis we unravelled. Bennett is not a left back and was more of a liability than an asset but every man and his dog knew that accept our manager. Walton poor for their goal and in reality had nothing else to do. Rothwell little impact and Gallagher falls into the same category. 

Thought nyambe and lenihan had good games. Brereton appears much improved.

All in all a poor performance with some of the same mistakes in terms of team selection and tactics being repeated. It appears we’re going through a Bennett in at all costs phase.

I suppose the really difference is Rovers are now spoiling my summer

• Like 1

Absolute shite. Nowhere near good enough, never looked like scoring, not going to make the play offs, every opportunity spurned.

The expensively set of strikers continues to not contribute. Armstrong for some reason a sub again. Gallagher is absolutely shocking, really out on his own. Brereton was brighter and showed flickers out of position but he never looks like scoring. And if Samuel is worth a new deal then the aim isnt progression.

Bennett deserves a special mention. What on earth is Mowbray thinking putting him at left back? He needs to be moved on full stop. Foul after foul after foul, an absolute liability.

Walton added another howler to his season reel. Centre backs fairly untroubled in the main, not the issue. Nyambe not quite his usual self, Gallagher often stifled his space. 

Travis a shining light pre injury, Holtby should have stayed on. Rothwell did little but that 5th sub was bizarre. 

Tough team selection on Tuesday. Holtby and Armstrong need to be focal to our team. Downing to left back assuming neither Bell or Williams are fit enough. Nyambe, Adarabioyo, Lenihan givens. As is Walton despite 2 howlers in 2. Hope Travis and Evans are fit. 

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Maybe he's turned himself into an absolute worldie whilst in London, or (almost certainly) maybe he's playing with a better back 4.

I don't watch much football these days - all I can tell you is that whilst he was turning out for Blackburn Rovers, he always had a calamity in him. 

Aye and what Walton doesn't have a better back 4 infront of him than Raya had? All I can tell you is Raya always had a Worldie in him also. Id forgive an odd clanger if he is pulling out stops that would otherwise result in a goal against 9 times out of 10

• Like 4

Typical Rovers. Getting beat 2-0 by an awful Wigan team.

We were better before Holtby went off. Baffling sub. Bennett is now becoming Keith Andrews levels of bad. How Gallagher keeps getting picked I don’t know. Some nice football from Brereton but he still doesn’t look like a goal scorer, never mind an expensive striker. We are still paying the price for that luxury and Tony not strengthening were necessary. Bennett should have been replaced years ago.

I understand we are stuck with Bennett but how Gallagher gets a starting place I’ll never know. Same with buying him.

Buying Brereton & Gallagher and not replacing Bennett. Ultimately those decisions will likely cost us a play off place.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, superniko said:

Could an academy keeper be any worse? At least he would be one of our own for the future.

Remembering Jake Kean and Simon Eastwood the answer is yes, they coud. I would much rather we look for an experienced goalkeeper than try to promote one from the academy earlier than we should.

Walton is just an average Championship keeper - generally OK but prone to mistakes. If Brighton want him back it won't concern me, but I would be concerned if we ended up with an Academy keeper between the sticks next season.

Let’s face it.  We are just not quite good enough.  All down to recruitment, wrong positions not being covered.  Left back in particular.  You cannot keep playing mid fielders, predominantly right footed mid fielders at left back and keep getting away with it.

This situation needs to be addressed.

• Like 1

Looked like a nothing goalless draw until Walton's clanger.  Why he is trying to catch a ball like that instead of punching it clear is beyond me.  He's simply not good enough.  For all our possession the front three looked toothless in terms of scoring.  Rothwell, again, flatters to deceive whilst Gallagher looks a shadow of the player who was here a couple of years ago.  Brereton was better but, again, never looked like scoring.  Disappointing after last week but realistically we are a top ten team rather than top six at the moment.

• Like 4

Imagine that lot in the PL.

It would cost TM his job. Maybe not.

Gallagher was better in his first stint at Ewood. He has regressed and badly.

Bennett. SHIT player.

I expected the above but most disappointed with Rothwell who just flatters to deceive.

When my stream came back we were 1-0 down. Cook prowling his area, Mowbray and Venus sat down arms folded, Shameful disinterest.

• Like 2