BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Athletic (A) - Saturday 27th June (3pm)

8 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Ad Bradley Johnson to the imposter list, that was a pathetic half an hour.

Johnson is always like that when he comes on. He's a better starter and he should have been today up against Morsy. Rothwell can leave as far as I am concerned. Pointless player with no end product at all. 

• Like 1

TMs fault we lost. 

For all his good work, his stubbornness continues to cost us. Rovers had periods where we dominated, and almost scored, and I can't help wondering that had we not carried two outfield players (Gally and Bennett) whether it would have been enough to get us over the line. Bennett is ridiculously weak at left back. With someone a bit better there, would they have been on top at times as much? I don't think so. Likewise, someone with a bit more predatory instinct then Gally, with a marginal amount of talent, and we probably would have converted at least one of our chances/made something of our possession. If this was a one off that would be fair enough but everyone on this board knew they would be the weak links, and they have repeatedly shown that that's the case. In light of this there is no reason or excuse for TM to be starting them. It's his stubborn nature and favouritism that is costing us. 

As for Walton, two weeks, and at fault for two goals. He simply isn't good enough. We've had a crap sandwich from him: terrible till December, good till the break, and then appalling since we have come back. Overall that suggests a poor keeper. Also the frequency of individual errors seems to be much more regular than Raya. Don't get me wrong, Raya had them in him, but Walton seems to produce them more regularly than Raya did with us. Another downgrade. Him not being on a permanent contract, may be a blessing after all. No team can carry 3 substandard players. 

Johnson always blows hot and cold. He's either very good or very poor. In some respects what should we expect for an aging journeyman defensive mid, but I suspect he was brought with a more central role in mind, and that his wages don't match the reality of what he actually is. 

Controversial after another solid showing from Bereton, who isn't the liability he has been previously, but even with his improved performances I'm not sure he is at the appropriate level required, or perhaps I should say needed, for Rovers. Ditto Samuel since his return from injury. Better, but not good enough. 

Overall, it's no overreaction or doom mongering to say the season is probably over. Yes, we should keep going in case the unlikely happens, but the reality is now we need a number of teams to slip up for us to get back into serious contention for the playoffs. It also requires us to do the business as well, which on this showing isn't that likely. 

• Like 4

I thought we were poor attacking. no Creativity. Downing and Rothwell poor which was a shame as I feel it was a perfect chance for Rothwell. I am a fan of him but he just lacks belief himself this season. Its annoying. 

Gallagher poor, had a good chance with a header and put it over, Samuel and Armstrong had 1 chance but thats was it. Expected alot better from us after last week. 

Brereton and Travis shining light. 

Davenport did more in his cameo this Johnson did in 28 mins. 

Walton wasnt fouled in their 1st goal as he was claiming but hit his own man of Adarabioyo. 

Wigan were nothing special just a very basic standard team and players. Should have been beating this lot. going to know 15 points in next 7 games to have any chance of playoffs. Hoping for a much better performance on Tuesday at Barnsley at 6pm kick off. 

Just now, Gordon Gekko said:

The worst £10 I’ve ever spent! so annoyed right now, that game was there for the taking. What’s with leaving Armstrong on the bench? Is he carrying a knock?

ToMo is the one carrying the knock ( to his head ).

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

Remembering Jake Kean and Simon Eastwood the answer is yes, they coud. I would much rather we look for an experienced goalkeeper than try to promote one from the academy earlier than we should.

Walton is just an average Championship keeper - generally OK but prone to mistakes. If Brighton want him back it won't concern me, but I would be concerned if we ended up with an Academy keeper between the sticks next season.

I mean for the remainder of this season.

You’ve conveniently named 2 academy keepers who didn’t make it at this level so I’ll raise you Raya and Fielding who both have in the Championship. 

That defeat ultimately rests on Mowbray. By championship standards hes had plenty to spend over the last 3 years and used it very poorly. Armstrong and Dack aside i cant recall any good signings. £10m plus of strikers starting today and 4 goals between them. Our best players are academy. 

Never mind the loyalty he shows to absolute dog awful players. 

We need to move him on over the summer (autumn) break. Will be stagnant for years under him. 

• Like 9

• Backroom
Just now, superniko said:

I mean for the remainder of this season.

You’ve conveniently named 2 academy keepers who didn’t make it at this level so I’ll raise you Raya and Fielding who both have in the Championship. 

I believe Kean and Eastwood both came in during the season (when Robinson was injured, maybe?) so it's a somewhat fair comparison. I don't think Raya or Fielding are significantly better than Walton so I'd still like us to do better than that. I'm not confident of Tony being able to do so, though.

This manager has his favourites and the thing is they are totally crap . how Bennett is captain is outrages & TM is a very defensive minded old school manager.

He Lined Up for a 0-0 V Wigan ... 

...Venkys backed him for our forward positions and he wasted 10 million plus on 2 duds and now he keeps playing them ......

Hes going to milk this club as long as he can cause the people around him are all asleep and worship him ...

• Like 6

As ever....Tony has us scratching our heads.

Does he not know his best 11 ? 
Does he select his match day squad on sympathy ? Surely , it’s getting to the point where even he has to accept that Bennett and Gallagher aren’t footballers . What does he see in Rothwell ? Why does he play Holtby as a false 9 ? 
As for the keepers he signs....no words. 

We will get NOWHERE with Mowbray ....nice man...but that’s where it ends. We have the nucleus of a very good squad with a few acquisitions...but with Tony at the helm ...it will never happen and these lads will be off . 

• Like 3

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

with the attitude and demenour of our players,they will no doubt be thinking that the play offs are out of reach and we can soon go on holiday,ide bang every single on of them on the list apart from lenihan,travis and nyambe

Bit hard on a few players.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Every time there's a prospect of getting into the top 6.......Tony knocks us right back down again.

Anyone woulds think it was deliberate

Maybe he’s got the none promotion bonus in his contract that Steve Kean had? 

Walton - 4                    Weak keeping cost us.

Nyambe - 8                 Drove down the wing and did his job.

Tosin/Lenihan - 6.5     Looked like a comfortable afternoon. When you win, they get 7. Lose and out come 6s

Bennett - 3                  No left foot so had to turn infield every time. Gave the ball away many times. Passed back repeatedly rather than cross with his left. Truly awful.

Travis - 8                    My god he is vital to us. Without him, there was absolutely nothing in midfield in possession or out. MOTM.

Downing - 7               Sprayed the ball around and decent set pieces but didn't get a free ride without two defensive partners.

Rothwell - 5               Tried but failed.

Holtby - 5                   Tried but failed.

Brereton - 5               Tried but failed.

Gallagher - 4             Failed.

Armstrong/Samuel/Graham - 5 Too little time.

Mowbray - 4             When your team bosses the midfield but can't come close to creating a chance and you have 5 subs to play with, don't wait until the hour mark to change things.

• Like 6

Just now, Dolly blue said:

As ever....Tony has us scratching our heads.

Does he not know his best 11 ? 
Does he select his match day squad on sympathy ? Surely , it’s getting to the point where even he has to accept that Bennett and Gallagher aren’t footballers . What does he see in Rothwell ? Why does he play Holtby as a false 9 ? 
As for the keepers he signs....no words. 

We will get NOWHERE with Mowbray ....nice man...but that’s where it ends. We have the nucleus of a very good squad with a few acquisitions...but with Tony at the helm ...it will never happen and these lads will be off . 

The fact he's playing Holtby as a False 9 in a cloggers league with two 6'+ strikers flanking him says it all about Mowbray. 

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

I believe Kean and Eastwood both came in during the season (when Robinson was injured, maybe?) so it's a somewhat fair comparison. I don't think Raya or Fielding are significantly better than Walton so I'd still like us to do better than that. I'm not confident of Tony being able to do so, though.

Yes, I agree, we can certainly do better. The fact Leutwiler is the number 1 keeper on our books speaks volumes.
This alongside having to play Bennett at left back makes you scratch your head given we had 5 strikers in the match day squad today. 

My review of the game.

Walton another absolute clanger

Nyambe fantastic but we didn't utilise him enough, have Gallagher as a winger is pointless. Either play him in his correct position or not at all.

Lenihan and Tosin looked okay, dealt with Moore well.

Bennett - useless but we all expected that he is not a LEFT BACK! 

Downing - ineffectual I feel like he completely slows down play and made a lot of mistakes.

Travis - solid he's probably our most important player.

Rothwell - pretty useless didn't run at players enough and no end product.

Holtby - a few nice touches and bounce passes, other than that absolutely wasted in that false 9 position and looked out of his depth. 

Gallagher - pointless absolutely pointless playing him on the RW. On another note, he doesn't win many headers. He's much better in the ST role but we have zero creativity. 

Brereton - looked really good but again no creativity and waste on the wing.

OVERALL - Tony stop playing Wide Strikers it does not work it's absolutely pointless. The way you play our players and where you play them hamstrings our team. Where is an out and out winger such as Chapman? Why waste money on a player you won't play? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Riverside under the drip said:

Walton - 4                    Weak keeping cost us.

Nyambe - 8                 Drove down the wing and did his job.

Tosin/Lenihan - 6.5     Looked like a comfortable afternoon. When you win, they get 7. Lose and out come 6s

Bennett - 3                  No left foot so had to turn infield every time. Gave the ball away many times. Passed back repeatedly rather than cross with his left. Truly awful.

Travis - 8                    My god he is vital to us. Without him, there was absolutely nothing in midfield in possession or out. MOTM.

Downing - 7               Sprayed the ball around and decent set pieces but didn't get a free ride without two defensive partners.

Rothwell - 5               Tried but failed.

Holtby - 5                   Tried but failed.

Brereton - 5               Tried but failed.

Gallagher - 4             Failed.

Armstrong/Samuel/Graham - 5 Too little time.

Mowbray - 4             When your team bosses the midfield but can't come close to creating a chance and you have 5 subs to play with, don't wait until the hour mark to change things.

Downing a 7?!? He did absolutely nothing slows down the tempo completely. He also was at fault for the final goal.