BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Athletic (A) - Saturday 27th June (3pm)

Tony has run his course for me. To much passing back and sideways. To many players playing out of position week in week out. Often has his best players on the bench. Then over thinks the games, and sets us out like we are playing Brazil every week. He has bored me to death this season...

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Just read TM comments

"....when the ball flashes across the box, Gallagher at the back post with a header, they have to go in. If they do then you could win 1 0....".

I realise its been a long season but how many times has Gallagher scored! He (TM) plays him expecting to do something unusual like score a winner then puts out a statement that clears himself from blame. ?  

He sounds surprised that Gallagher didn’t score. I’d be astounded if he found the back of the net.

As an aside, apparently he hasn’t seen the first goal back, but Walton told him he was fouled. Watch it back please Tony and put a huge rocket up his arse, preferably aimed for Brighton.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Evans has fractured his toe. Awful skull fracture aside, it’s a case of rinse and repeat with him in a Rovers shirt isn’t it?

Jesus, not his fault but what are the man's bones made of?

If you pay big money for strikers with no real scoring pedigree then you can't express any surprise whatsoever when they don't take chances.

You spend a few hundred grand if you want to gamble on those types, like he did with Samuel. Then when they don't offer anything you cut them loose with no big regrets, like he doesn't do with Samuel.

If you want goal scorers you really need to find one's that know where the net is regularly whatever level they are at.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 9

bazza/benhben

Agreed. Any sane Rovers fan knows we have long-standing off field ‘issues’, are not the richest ( but really don’t think we can complain at this level) and so on. But all known excuses aside, I fail to accept that Mowbray has done anything other than underachieve - certainly in the Chumpionship. Cook, with our players, would not have lost that game. Mind you, he would not have squandered £12? mill on two strikers who don’t score.

Incidentally, I’m sure I saw on TV, in the last 10 mins I think, Mowbray in a shot in the background on the bench with  hands on head, rather like one of those chimps in the old tea advert as they move the piano (tea Mr Shifter?)

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, aletheia said:

...........Incidentally, I’m sure I saw on TV, in the last 10 mins I think, Mowbray in a shot in the background on the bench with  hands on head, rather like one of those chimps in the old tea advert as they move the piano (tea Mr Shifter?)

Great motivation for the team then with ten minutes to go!

34 minutes ago, JoeH said:

The 'youngsters' should've played today. Armstrong should've started, as should left-back Lewis Thompson, who yet again can't even get a spot on the bench whilst a below average winger/below average right-back/not even a pro footballing quality left-back plays ahead of him. 

They can't rate Thompson if at nearly 21 he can't get into the squad when Williams, Bell and JRC are injured. You have to wonder why they gave him a new contract. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fraserkirky said:

Everyone was doing well enough before any subs, bar Gallagher and Bennett who were horrific. Folk on here pelting Rothwell and Holtby, I thought they were decent, and controlled the middle of the pitch. 

Bring on the youngsters on Tuesday and let’s see what we’ve got.

Agree that Holtby did fine, but Rothwell control the middle of the pitch? He wasn't even controlling himself. Needs to learn when to make his runs and when he's just running into a brick wall. Then he could be a hell of a player.

9 minutes ago, aletheia said:

bazza/benhben

Agreed. Any sane Rovers fan knows we have long-standing off field ‘issues’, are not the richest ( but really don’t think we can complain at this level) and so on. But all known excuses aside, I fail to accept that Mowbray has done anything other than underachieve - certainly in the Chumpionship. Cook, with our players, would not have lost that game. Mind you, he would not have squandered £12? mill on two strikers who don’t score.

Incidentally, I’m sure I saw on TV, in the last 10 mins I think, Mowbray in a shot in the background on the bench with  hands on head, rather like one of those chimps in the old tea advert as they move the piano (tea Mr Shifter?)

I think it was Venus on the bench late on who looked so disinterested.

2 hours ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

Surely there were better options than Bennett starting at LB

As long as he is fit Mowbray will start Bennett.

Right now it’s probably worth putting him in goal.

A word on Rothwell. When I first saw him, thought class was clear - first touch, quick, keen to go forward, ok without the ball at closing  down. Thought some initial comments on here a while ago seemed harsh . Then he had that outstandIng game at home (standing ovation, mom) and I thought we were in business. With regret, I have joined the ‘flatter to deceive’ brigade. Still think that a good manager could get inside his head but who knows. Shame. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, aletheia said:

Mark Venus was sat face down staring at the floor twiddling his thumbs with 10 minutes to go. Not what I want to see.

22 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Agree that Holtby did fine, but Rothwell control the middle of the pitch? He wasn't even controlling himself. Needs to learn when to make his runs and when he's just running into a brick wall. Then he could be a hell of a player.

He had plenty of clever touches, linked well with Holtby, had a cracking ball to Nyambe early doors. Rothwell is about the only player we have that can actually carry the ball.
Hardly up too match fitness, just wouldn’t get after him too much, we all know there is a player in there. Free kick was bloody close too.

Not sure why he is being lumped into the imposter category. After that the imposter club contains:

Elliot Bennett- The President

Sam Gallagher - Chris Brown was better 

Bradley Johnson - Pub Player

Christian Walton - Absolute Dope

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

The 'youngsters' should've played today. Armstrong should've started, as should left-back Lewis Thompson, who yet again can't even get a spot on the bench whilst a below average winger/below average right-back/not even a pro footballing quality left-back plays ahead of him. 

And that is why we will go nowhere with this manager.

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

As an aside, apparently he hasn’t seen the first goal back, but Walton told him he was fouled. Watch it back please Tony and put a huge rocket up his arse, preferably aimed for Brighton.

Walton collided with Adarabioyo. He was "fouled" by his colleague. That's why the ref didn't give us a free kick.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Again though, he did more in a 10 minute stint than Gallagher managed ALL GAME. I agree that we have a collection of non-scoring strikers but he isn't the worst of them, and he gets the least game time out of most of them - so shouldn't really be the focus of frustration.

He has had enough game time for me to know that he isn't the answer to whatever question is being asked. 

The problem with Samuel and Gallagher is I wouldn't trust them to score in a variety of scenarios, one on one with the keeper, a free header, tap in. If you could stop time and allow me to make a bet, I wouldn't back them to put the ball in the net. Would you? 

I'm happy when I see Graham come on, because I think "if the ball drops to him, he will know what to do" I feel the opposite with Gallagher and Samuel. I wouldn't trust either with the simplest of chances. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I don't know but if he is and Rovers want to avoid paying him why is he on the bench? When I heard Gallacher mention this I thought for sure that Mowbray would be questioned about it on Radio Lancashire but no mention of it.

Mowbray must have the easiest ride from local press than any other manager in the country.

He does, but that's because, unfortunately, Rovers are disliked by the local press. Radio Lancs loves Preston and is reveling in 'little old Burnley' defying the odds in the Premier League.

As we were the only successful club in the area for 20 years, the resentment runs deep in the local media. Especially as I suspect we were quite arrogant about it.

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, bazza said:

Walton collided with Adarabioyo. He was "fouled" by his colleague. That's why the ref didn't give us a free kick.

To be fair Bristol got a free kick last week for the same thing when JRC scored...

Kidding aside though, was a huge cock up from Walton, but despite a bit of decent possession we didn't look like scoring apart from a couple of Downing free kicks.

Edited by MarkBRFC

Tony must be the only person on the planet to think that Sam Gallagher is a wide right forward. And we’ve been saying this since September. I personally don’t rate him. He’s about as threatening as a kitten but even that donut Coyle realised you need to play him in a two through the middle to get anything out of him. But we’ve never played two up top with Tony. So why oh why would you spend all that money and put him out wide? Why wouldn’t you spend the money on an actual wide forward. Someone like Jamal Lowe who is a top player. 
Wigan were the better side. Stronger, fitter, more organised and won comfortably. They were better than us in league one and they are still better than us now. 
Thought Brereton was the most threatening which says it all. Holtby was tidy but too lightweight. Travis our best player. Easily player of the season and when he went off it was game over. 
And I’d be ordering a one way taxi ride to Brighton for Walton this minute.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He does, but that's because, unfortunately, Rovers are disliked by the local press. Radio Lancs loves Preston and is reveling in 'little old Burnley' defying the odds in the Premier League.

As we were the only successful club in the area for 20 years, the resentment runs deep in the local media. Especially as I suspect we were quite arrogant about it.

Andy Bayes is a Rovers fan. As is Graham Liver, both on Radio Lancs. The reason they never ask Mowbray any questions that could even remotely be considered critical is, just like the LET, they’re worried their access would be limited as a result. They’re happy to criticise and interrogate MPs, councillors etc but never ever ever criticise the Rovers manager, or at least question his decisions.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Tony must be the only person on the planet to think that Sam Gallagher is a wide right forward. And we’ve been saying this since September. I personally don’t rate him. He’s about as threatening as a kitten but even that donut Coyle realised you need to play him in a two through the middle to get anything out of him. But we’ve never played two up top with Tony. So why oh why would you spend all that money and put him out wide? Why wouldn’t you spend the money on an actual wide forward. Someone like Jamal Lowe who is a top player. 
Wigan were the better side. Stronger, fitter, more organised and won comfortably. They were better than us in league one and they are still better than us now. 
Thought Brereton was the most threatening which says it all. Holtby was tidy but too lightweight. Travis our best player. Easily player of the season and when he went off it was game over. 
And I’d be ordering a one way taxi ride to Brighton for Walton this minute.

Wigan are a bogey team for us,but the league table tells the story that we are better overall.