BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Athletic (A) - Saturday 27th June (3pm)

6 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Tony needs to become ruthless and get rid of Bennett, Gallagher, Bell, Smallwood, Williams and Mulgrew, possibly some others and play the kids, they couldn't do any worse.

Maybe take himself with them I'm beginning to think.

I’d also add Johnson to that list. Then downing and graham got to be the wrong side of 35.

Huge job rebuilding this squad in the summer (mainly due to the neglect in the last 6 transfer windows) if there’s any money. If not might have to play the kids. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I’d also add Johnson to that list. Then downing and graham got to be the wrong side of 35.

Huge job rebuilding this squad in the summer (mainly due to the neglect in the last 6 transfer windows) if there’s any money. If not might have to play the kids. 

All those can go but Downing? No chance I'd be waving bye to him.

9 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

All those can go but Downing? No chance I'd be waving bye to him.

Agreed. Expressed myself poorly there I meant 2 players I’d defo keep but going forward not many miles left in the tank at their age and will need replacing soon. 

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No mention for Bennett? You accepted his place at left back pre game but he was absolutely shocking. Added to his usual flaws, diving in needlessly, playing the opposition in on goal etc, when the ball was played to him he had to check back inside which removed any outlet. 

Travis definitely the shining light. Brereton better but the fact that we are taking hope from flickers and hes got 1 goal in 2 years for a 7m striker maybe says a lot. Needs to score soon.

Think the balance of the team isnt right.

As we discussed Bennett was playing there as 4/5th option cos of 3 injures to players who would play there before him and I didn't want to move Downing from the deep playmaker role where he played so well against Bristol City. 

I didn't mention Bennett poor performance cos alot of posters had already posted comments. no point keep repeating the point. 

#I thoughtt Downing was poor in the deep playmaker role. 

Yes Travis was shining light and was he went off we miss him. Just like we missed Evans again. 

on Brereton, he is getting better and looking better. its small steps but before the lockdown he had zero confidence. 

It will be interesting to see his team on Tuesday night at Barnsley 

Walton was vastly improved pre lock down but has gone massively backwards. Bennett has never seen being a left back but you can't be too pissed off at him for it, he doesn't pick the team. It's a strange feeling hoping Bell will be fit again soon but that's where we're at right about now!

• Like 1

Did make me laugh when Walton cheerleaders were trying to make out that he was going to be first choice in the Premier League at Brighton next season, spouting ‘the data’ from some teenage statto’s Twitter account, and we were honoured to even have him. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, WacoRover said:

It’s ironic that the reason for veteran players, is because they ostensibly are tried & true, understand they game better, & make fewer mistakes. Yet, that’s apparently not the case with ours. At least, with Rovers’ Captain. Laughable. 
I would love to see Rovers commit to youth, with a number of seasoned veterans. if we’re going to have a team that contends for promotion, I believe we need to commit to the future with youth. I think we also need to ultimately find a younger manager, energetic, with fresh ideas, that isn’t tied to players he coached elsewhere, years ago. 

It should be obvious by now that Mowbray has an aversion to playing young players. They only get picked if he's absolutely desperate.

• Like 2

• Backroom

According to the telegraph Walton thinks he was fouled for the first goal, I suggest he takes up a new sport.

Sure the disallowed goal last week was weak but it has no bearing (and was more of a foul as Tosin shoves the defender towards the keeper) but the one yesterday could never be a foul, the fact the ref didn’t give a foul for the Marshall incident earlier nullifies any argument.

Shite decision making twice in the move from Walton and then shite goalkeeping to top it off, should have saved the second as well 

Just now, Ossydave said:

Its fair to say Wigan will have known all about Waltons weak points from when he played there. Yes I do realise someone is tempted to pipe up and ask what his strong points are 

The fact Wigan fans weren't bothered about him not returning should have been a warning sign. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

According to the telegraph Walton thinks he was fouled for the first goal, I suggest he takes up a new sport.

Sure the disallowed goal last week was weak but it has no bearing (and was more of a foul as Tosin shoves the defender towards the keeper) but the one yesterday could never be a foul, the fact the ref didn’t give a foul for the Marshall incident earlier nullifies any argument.

Shite decision making twice in the move from Walton and then shite goalkeeping to top it off, should have saved the second as well 

I've only seen it once but the defending as a whole for the first goal was school boy standard. Every time we could have got control of the ball we took the wrong decision. We were on the back foot and Wigan were on the front foot.

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Its fair to say Wigan will have known all about Waltons weak points from when he played there. Yes I do realise someone is tempted to pipe up and ask what his strong points are 

Ironically I’ve thought his strongest point this season has been claiming crosses, that went out of the window yesterday 

8 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

The fact Wigan fans weren't bothered about him not returning should have been a warning sign. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

To be quite honest most of the keepers in this league are average at best, you see constant howlers. At the end of the day they'd be playing at a higher level otherwise. Walton won't, and I doubt many others will unless they win promotion and their managers keep the faith.

Where’s Bell? After he didn’t play at Liverpool, Mowbray said he wasn’t risked as he had a ‘slight knock’. Nearly 3 weeks will have passed from then to Barnsley.

Don’t particularly rate the lad, but he’s still a better option than Bennett, as he actually resembles a left back (a third division standard left back is preferable  to whatever Bennett is masquerading as).

Edited by Mattyblue

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Hopefully Mowbray’s actually watched the first goal back now and given him a ‘man up’ chat. 

I do fear TM won’t have learned from yesterday and we’ll see Bennett at LB and Gallagher at RW once again come Tuesday night.

The guy has had an entire season to learn his lesson re: Bennett and Gallagher, so I can't imagine one game making any difference at this stage. His stubbornness is a huge problem.

Edited by DE.

I fear we are now embarking upon one of Mowbray's cycles. Impressive win against rivals puts us on the cusp of the playoffs. Poor defeat in a derby sets us back. I expect we will struggle against lowly Barnsley battling for their lives. Then we will play Leeds and probably play really well and get a good point or three.

Around it goes on and on. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DE. said:

The guy has had an entire season to learn his lesson re: Bennett and Gallagher, so I can't imagine one game making any difference at this stage. His stubbornness is a huge problem.

Oh I agree. He’s a stubborn old goat. I found this article online earlier: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18139032.mowbrays-message-advice-rovers-striker-gallagher/

Safe to say he and Gallagher have learned absolutely nothing between now and then about how Gally can score goals or his role in the team!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

55 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Hopefully Mowbray’s actually watched the first goal back now and given him a ‘man up’ chat. 

I do fear TM won’t have learned from yesterday and we’ll see Bennett at LB and Gallagher at RW once again come Tuesday night.

Mowbray questions Walton's decision making 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18546751.walton-claims-foul-rovers-boss-questions-decision-making/

1 hour ago, Tom said:

He deffo wasn't foul for first goal. He hit Tosin Adarabioyo..

After Bentleys poor showing in goal for Bristol City last week he has been axed for today's game. I know Leutwiler is not very good but with Walton in poor form it should be a strong consideration from Mowbray. However I would be stunned if he did drop him. But this is a problem entirely of Mowbrays making  by not bringing in a keeper who is at least good enough to challenge Walton.

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

After Bentleys poor showing in goal for Bristol City last week he has been axed for today's game. I know Leutwiler is not very good but with Walton in poor form it should be a strong consideration from Mowbray. However I would be stunned if he did drop him. But this is a problem entirely of Mowbrays making  by not bringing in a keeper who is at least good enough to challenge Walton.

And Sheff Wednesday have their 3rd choice keeper in goal today. Made a very good save from a header

We've been over this many times before. For some reason we don't invest in the keeper or defence. We haven't done since relegation despite going through 7 managers all with different styles. 

The result is that we can't turn to decent alternatives when struggling and players are as safe as houses even when they don't play well.

• Like 1

If Mowbray wants to send out a message he has to drop Walton, Bennett and Gallagher for the next game. I don't care if Leutwiler and the rest of the replacements are just as shite, you cannot play as those 3 did yesterday and get picked regardless.

• Like 7