BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Athletic (A) - Saturday 27th June (3pm)

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn't consider signing Dack until I'd seen him play again multiple times if I was signing players for West Brom. Even then it would depend on what division they were in. If they get promoted I don't think Dack will be on their radar any longer.

I think he'd do well at Norwich next. Good move for him.

9 hours ago, RagarF said:

Fisher is actually 189 cm just short of 6' 3"

I don't know where that's come from but he definitely isn't 6ft 3". I've met him, I'm 6ft and he wasn't 3" taller than me I can assure you.

21 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think there's a holiday camp feel around the Club and has been for many years.The feeling is never stronger than at transfer window time when the manager clearly has no particular inclination to try and improve the starting eleven or dislodge any of his favourites.

I don't think anything will change until a manager comes in who expects and demands success and this is combined with workable support from the owners which to be fair Mowbray has had but largely squandered.

Very true Rev. I was thinking the other day when we had slipped into the old Division Three for the first ever time. Money was tighter then than at any time in our long history. In came Ken Furphy on a mission, wholesale changes and a plan. The club started to gain momentum, unfortunately Sheffield United then nicked KF but he was replaced by Gordon Lee and the plan continued with the club making its way back to the Second Division. Not long after that, we almost made it back to the top flight. The Chairman and Board of Directors were local men in those days. Their stake wasn’t particularly high but they had a pride in the place. Both Ken Furphy and Gordon Lee had a presence and wouldn’t it be nice (understatement) to have someone of their calibrate at the helm now.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Very true Rev. I was thinking the other day when we had slipped into the old Division Three for the first ever time. Money was tighter then than at any time in our long history. In came Ken Furphy on a mission, wholesale changes and a plan. The club started to gain momentum, unfortunately Sheffield United then nicked KF but he was replaced by Gordon Lee and the plan continued with the club making its way back to the Second Division. Not long after that, we almost made it back to the top flight. The Chairman and Board of Directors were local men in those days. Their stake wasn’t particularly high but they had a pride in the place. Both Ken Furphy and Gordon Lee had a presence and wouldn’t it be nice (understatement) to have someone of their calibrate at the helm now.

Spot on. 

Mowbray doesn't know he's born when you consider the sort of wheeling and dealing Ken Furphy had to do to turn us round.

The difference between the likes of Lee and Furphy and Mowbray though is that they recognised what needed to be done in terms of changing personnel to try and make us successful. There'd be no standing on ceremony being loyal to players who might have been good servants in the past or dishing out new contracts like sweeties to players who'd not really done anything to warrant it in the first place. Said players  were packed off and replaced by someone Furphy or Lee thought could do a better job.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Spot on. 

Mowbray doesn't know he's born when you consider the sort of wheeling and dealing Ken Furphy had to do to turn us round.

The difference between the likes of Lee and Furphy and Mowbray though is that they recognised what needed to be done in terms of changing personnel to try and make us successful. There'd be no standing on ceremony being loyal to players who might have been good servants in the past or dishing out new contracts like sweeties to players who'd not really done anything to warrant it in the first place. Said players  were packed off and replaced by someone Furphy or Lee thought could do a better job.

They had a plan and they brought in players to suit that plan. They weren't necessarily top players but they fitted into the plan. Plus, I include Howard Kendall here,  they all brought a winning mentality.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I was slightly surprised how close they are, but I would certainly take a bet that we will finish ahead of Wigan. 

As disappointing as Saturday was, I'm not as despondent as most. At the end of the day, the bare facts were that Wigan were flying on form and confidence, inc having recently beaten Leeds & W Brom and having kept 5 clean sheets in a row.

Ignoring local rivalry, previous results between us & a healthy dislike of Paul Cook, a draw was what I realistically hoped for in that context, and would've been what we'd got but for Walton clashing with Tosin. 

That said, it was a chalk & cheese performance when compared to Bristol City (esp 2and half) and we must do much better in possession tomorrow to stay in touch with top 6, and cut out individual errors.

On 27/06/2020 at 11:13, AllRoverAsia said:

Imagine that lot in the PL.

It would cost TM his job. Maybe not.

Gallagher was better in his first stint at Ewood. He has regressed and badly.

Bennett. SHIT player.

I expected the above but most disappointed with Rothwell who just flatters to deceive.

When my stream came back we were 1-0 down. Cook prowling his area, Mowbray and Venus sat down arms folded, Shameful disinterest.

And HE knows it that us why we do what we di when we get to touching distance.  Been ssyin it for some time, Bowyer was the same.

On 27/06/2020 at 11:50, davulsukur said:

4 point gap now.

Barnsley, Leeds, Cardiff up next and you'd say we have to win all 3 to keep any aspirations alive.

Needless to say, it's not happening

Be just kike us to lose to Barnsley, beat Leeds and Cardiff.

On 27/06/2020 at 13:47, aletheia said:

A word on Rothwell. When I first saw him, thought class was clear - first touch, quick, keen to go forward, ok without the ball at closing  down. Thought some initial comments on here a while ago seemed harsh . Then he had that outstandIng game at home (standing ovation, mom) and I thought we were in business. With regret, I have joined the ‘flatter to deceive’ brigade. Still think that a good manager could get inside his head but who knows. Shame. 

I have little doubt it's Mowbary that has stopped that.  Why oh why did he pull Travis?  He has become the heartbeat of this team.

On 28/06/2020 at 03:03, chaddyrovers said:

As we discussed Bennett was playing there as 4/5th option cos of 3 injures to players who would play there before him and I didn't want to move Downing from the deep playmaker role where he played so well against Bristol City. 

I didn't mention Bennett poor performance cos alot of posters had already posted comments. no point keep repeating the point. 

#I thoughtt Downing was poor in the deep playmaker role. 

Yes Travis was shining light and was he went off we miss him. Just like we missed Evans again. 

on Brereton, he is getting better and looking better. its small steps but before the lockdown he had zero confidence. 

It will be interesting to see his team on Tuesday night at Barnsley 

Watch Mowbary drop Brereton now and keep Gally on.

10 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I have little doubt it's Mowbary that has stopped that.  Why oh why did he pull Travis?  He has become the heartbeat of this team.

Travis was injured.

Rather why oh why did he play Bennett at LEFT back?

27 minutes ago, bazza said:

Travis was injured.

Rather why oh why did he play Bennett at LEFT back?

I wish he had used someone else but I really think he believed that Bennett can play anywhere.  Then again so can I, I'm equally crap whichever shirt number I put on.  Bennett was willing but he should tell TM that he's an ok right back but awful left back.

16 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

As disappointing as Saturday was, I'm not as despondent as most. At the end of the day, the bare facts were that Wigan were flying on form and confidence, inc having recently beaten Leeds & W Brom and having kept 5 clean sheets in a row.

Ignoring local rivalry, previous results between us & a healthy dislike of Paul Cook, a draw was what I realistically hoped for in that context, and would've been what we'd got but for Walton clashing with Tosin. 

That said, it was a chalk & cheese performance when compared to Bristol City (esp 2and half) and we must do much better in possession tomorrow to stay in touch with top 6, and cut out individual errors.

It was a horrible game that whilst we can't really have complaints about, we probably didn't deserve to lose.

I try not to be too despondent as well, but we are at the stage now where we can't really afford anymore slip ups.