BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Athletic (A) - Saturday 27th June (3pm)

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

As long as he is fit Mowbray will start Bennett.

Right now it’s probably worth putting him in goal.

To be fair, it was a tendency Mowbray had finally eased on this season prior to lockdown, Bennett had started to start less yet post lockdown hes played in both full back positions prior to lockdown and the "pick 10 and put Bennett in the remaining place" policy seems to have returned with a vengeance.

We arent flush with available options at left back I admit, but Downing has always looked very competent whenever he has played there. He reads the game well, Bennett doesn't. He anticipates danger, Bennett doesn't. He is left footed so adds that balance on that side. And he doesn't feel the need to try and win every ball straight away, Bennett's rashness gives away foul after foul and constantly hands the initiative to the opposition.

Indeed Gallagher took over the mantle as Mowbrays pet and that tendency doesnt seem to be going away.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, it was a tendency Mowbray had finally eased on this season prior to lockdown, Bennett had started to start less yet post lockdown hes played in both full back positions prior to lockdown and the "pick 10 and put Bennett in the remaining place" policy seems to have returned with a vengeance.

We arent flush with available options at left back I admit, but Downing has always looked very competent whenever he has played there. He reads the game well, Bennett doesn't. He anticipates danger, Bennett doesn't. He is left footed so adds that balance on that side. And he doesn't feel the need to try and win every ball straight away, Bennett's rashness gives away foul after foul and constantly hands the initiative to the opposition.

Indeed Gallagher took over the mantle as Mowbrays pet and that tendency doesnt seem to be going away.

Bennett has been on the bench four times this season and has started every other game.

He is captain (shouldn’t be) and he plays even when he plays out of position at full back. He’s Mr Versatile and Tony’s man.

I used to think he was a real asset to the team but that was in the middle or at a pinch on the right side of midfield. At this point, he’s Jason Lowe with a fist pump. Mowbray values players’ contribution to dressing room chat more than their contribution on the pitch.

• Like 7

I can't get my head around how we get the result we did last week - with a decent all round performance by all accounts - and then go and perform like we did today. It's beyond simply not having good enough players, it feels like something deeper than that. 

Is it a lack of backbone in the squad that comes from a manager that doesn't instill enough fear if you don't perform? Is it the fact the squad simply isn't good enough to finish in the top six and we're actually finishing around where we should given our budget?

Regardless, we should never forget why we are where we are; a decade of disgusting indifference and mismanagement from a bunch of spoilt, naieve and incompetent chicken farmers. You couldn't make it up. 

9 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Bennett has been on the bench four times this season and has started every other game.

He is captain (shouldn’t be) and he plays even when he plays out of position at full back. He’s Mr Versatile and Tony’s man.

I used to think he was a real asset to the team but that was in the middle or at a pinch on the right side of midfield. At this point, he’s Jason Lowe with a fist pump. Mowbray values players’ contribution to dressing room chat more than their contribution on the pitch.

Mr versatile actually in this case means played in numerous positions regardless of being unable to play said positions.

Needs to be moved on in the summer.

If Rovers are to improve in the offseason, it’s not just ditching Bennett & Gallagher. We have about 5 other guys that are age liabilities (DG, Johnson, Mulgrew, Smallwood & yes, even Downing). Recovering from knocks/niggles takes longer. Speed is reduced, & a host of other things. 
Going forward next season, NONE of these guys should have key roles. Most of ‘em should not even be on the roster.
It’s about finding that elusive left back; a decent ‘keeper; someone creative in MF; and somebody that can finish. If Rovers are to make a serious push for promotion, there’s no room for pets or projects anymore. 

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Andy Bayes is a Rovers fan. As is Graham Liver, both on Radio Lancs. The reason they never ask Mowbray any questions that could even remotely be considered critical is, just like the LET, they’re worried their access would be limited as a result. They’re happy to criticise and interrogate MPs, councillors etc but never ever ever criticise the Rovers manager, or at least question his decisions.

Bayes is a nob ender. He hides it well but scratch beneath the surface and it's there.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wigan are a bogey team for us,but the league table tells the story that we are better overall. 

Gap now 9 points. I wouldn't bet much on that lasting the season on form and today's performance.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Exactly, he's been happy to allow one to be paid thousands per week for no other reason for the past 12 months plus.

Even to the point he might keep him around when there's a chance to get rid. Jobs for the boys is on another level down there.

3 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Sorry, are you suggesting Bennett isn’t slow and has positional sense?

No, you'll notice I never mentioned Bennett. I'm saying we have other players who can play there more effectively than Bennett or Mulgrew. Even amongst the ones who are actually fit at the moment, I'd have Downing or even try Lewis Thompson before either Mulgrew or Bennett played LB.

• Like 1

There is no way on earth that Downing would have been as bad as Bennett was at Left Back. Wigan knew how shite he is and tried to trap him multiple times. Davenport looked tidy when he came on, he could have played in Centre mid and downing at left back, would have faired much better.

Is that Buckley ostracized now because he showed a bit too much desire against Derby?  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

There is no way on earth that Downing would have been as bad as Bennett was at Left Back. Wigan knew how shite he is and tried to trap him multiple times. Davenport looked tidy when he came on, he could have played in Centre mid and downing at left back, would have faired much better.

Is that Buckley ostracized now because he showed a bit too much desire against Derby?  

Buckley is suspended, last game v Barnsley.

In two games against them this season we've barely had a sniff, when on both occasions a win would have put us in the top 6 (or very close to it, without checking).

Bitterly disappointing but that's the story of the last two seasons. Sooner or later if we are to kick on as a club we have to learn and change. Unless we are happy to be mid table for ever more in which case the cycle can just continue.

The managers who resort to the darker arts like Neil and Cook have been able to have the better of Mowbray. Mowbray won't change because he has principles which is all lovely when we play nice stuff and win but we need that extra string to our bow to get out of this league.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

Tony needs to become ruthless and get rid of Bennett, Gallagher, Bell, Smallwood, Williams and Mulgrew, possibly some others and play the kids, they couldn't do any worse.

Maybe take himself with them I'm beginning to think.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Tony needs to become ruthless and get rid of Bennett, Gallagher, Bell, Smallwood, Williams and Mulgrew, possibly some others and play the kids, they couldn't do any worse.

Maybe take himself with them I'm beginning to think.

One thing he definitely lacks is a ruthless attitude. He seems to make decisions partially out of over loyalty and partly out of fear of not being able to replace a player even if they arent up to it or arent needed.

We saw last season, he gave an extension to Leutwiler even though he was awful in the games he played. He also offered contracts to Conway and I think a couple of others. Now Bells contract has been extended even though contracts and transfers are supposed to be on hold. 

Smallwood didnt need a new contract upon promotion but luckily that ends soon, and neither did Williams, Bennett or Mulgrew who now take up precious wages when none are up to it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Andy Bayes is a Rovers fan. As is Graham Liver, both on Radio Lancs. The reason they never ask Mowbray any questions that could even remotely be considered critical is, just like the LET, they’re worried their access would be limited as a result. They’re happy to criticise and interrogate MPs, councillors etc but never ever ever criticise the Rovers manager, or at least question his decisions.

Guess they haven't realised how much of a soft touch TM is. If he deals with reporters the way he deals with players, you could totally embarrass him and be first pick for asking questions next week.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

Radio Lancs confirmed Armstrong did have Covid and had to isolate despite having no symptoms. I think it was before Bennett confirmed he had it.

So he had it longer ago than Bennett, and yet Bennett has subsequently put in two full 90 minute appearances whilst Arma has only come off the bench twice?

It’s ironic that the reason for veteran players, is because they ostensibly are tried & true, understand they game better, & make fewer mistakes. Yet, that’s apparently not the case with ours. At least, with Rovers’ Captain. Laughable. 
I would love to see Rovers commit to youth, with a number of seasoned veterans. if we’re going to have a team that contends for promotion, I believe we need to commit to the future with youth. I think we also need to ultimately find a younger manager, energetic, with fresh ideas, that isn’t tied to players he coached elsewhere, years ago.