BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Barnsley v Rovers

Dont know if this is the best place to put it.

But I really think at the moment we are at a crossroads in terms of naming our best side. I sort of understand the thinking behind this new elaborate formation to an extent but it needs to be binned, Holtby like Dacks influence is massively compromised when you ask him to essentially lead the line. Of course we have to try and get that unlikely 6th spot as long as we mathematically can but perhaps we also need to be trying to finally come up with a successful way long term to bring together an imbalanced squad.

What formation do we play? We HAVE to play a number 10 because our best player is a 10 so theres little point planning a formation without him, plus Holtby is best as a 10, and even Buckley has had his only good game at Charlton as a 10. That sends you towards 4231 again but the problem is we have absolutely no competent players to play wide roles, and that leads to this wide strikers bollocks. 

This is where our previously imbalanced recruitment hits us hard. We already need a GK, CB and LB minimum defensively. We also need a real revamp in wide areas. Sadly with the current situation any hope of adequately fixing all of this is unrealistic. We need to come up with a way whereby we can use our technical players to dominate games, but still have that attacking threat.

Looking ahead to Tuesday night, I think the most obvious change to make first is Downing to left back. Not ideal but in the absence of our 2 LBs hes the only option and a competent option at that. Id pick Davenport over Johnson (who again looks a busted flush) in CM, and Armstrong up top is an obvious one. Always reluctant to move Holtby but again when Dack is back he may need to go somewhere else anyway, maybe have Rothwell (so lucky to have another chance) coming in from the left, Holtby from the right giving us technical players at LB, Adarabioyo at CB, then the 2 CMs and ahead Rothwell and Holtby cutting inside to hopefully get us plenty of possession. Nyambe and Downing overlapping, and Brereton as a 10 off Armstrong?

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Adarabioyo Downing

Travis Davenport

Holtby Brereton Rothwell

Armstrong

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Walton

Travis Davenport

Holtby Brereton Rothwell

Armstrong

Bang on this. Was saying to a friend today that if Brereton keeps running at his man like that (like Rothwell should be and like Armstrong does sometimes), he'd be our best option in behind the striker. I think Holtby is better cutting in ala Tom Cairney's old role, and I liked the look of Davenport when he came on.

Just now, JoeH said:

Bang on this. Was saying to a friend today that if Brereton keeps running at his man like that (like Rothwell should be and like Armstrong does sometimes), he'd be our best option in behind the striker. I think Holtby is better cutting in ala Tom Cairney's old role, and I liked the look of Davenport when he came on.

I'm not a Brererton fan by a long chalk but from what I've seen his main ( only ? ) skill set is running from deeper positions with the ball. I think playing him up the front has been proven not to work, maybe playing a bit deeper may work.

Regarding the game - as on most occasions it'll be the team that wants it the most that will come out on top. That'll be Barnsley then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I am unconvinced by my own line up, especially because I prefer Holtby to be as a 10. Rothwell would also be lucky to start again. I just think it gives us the balance of Downing at left back, we now have a threat with Armstrong, Brereton can hopefully run at people and link with Armstrong, and the 2 wide men would naturally come in and be overlapped.

Its also a quite attacking and technical side and we are playing bottom of the league so we should be looking to dominate.

I also think Chapman surely has to be one of 9 subs.

I suspect Samuel will be shoehorned in out wide, Bennett will remain at left back, maybe Johnson in CM and probably a surprise somewhere else as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Walton

Travis Davenport

Holtby Brereton Rothwell

Armstrong

agree on that team. 

my only questions are is Travis going to be fit and is Armstrong fit enough to start considering he had the Virus?

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

agree on that team. 

my only questions are is Travis going to be fit and is Armstrong fit enough to start considering he had the Virus?

That is why you train. To test fitness. The reason someone is on the bench and not starting should be for ability or tactical reasons, never fitness.

• Like 1

Play the best 11 available. IMO, this means no Bennett, or Gallagher. That’s right, sit the Cap’n on the bench. Play Armstrong & Holtby, for sure. Downing at left back. Williams, if he’s fit. Brereton showed a lot of interest & hustle. I would bring Samuel off the bench before SG, probably before DG, as well.

At DF-  Nyambe, Lenihan, Tosin, Williams (if fit), or Downing. No need to play Bell, even if he’s fit.  

Gotta put our best on the pitch this week, and hereafter. However, I believe the playoff dream is over, it’s certainly done if we can’t get all 3 pts at Barnsley. 

Are we anywhere nearer knowing what 'slight knock' Williams has that ruled him out of the Liverpool game and still rules him out several weeks later? Bell? I personally think Williams and Bell are lower league nobodies but I'm desperate to have ANYONE other than Bennett start as LB. Resigned to him starting with Gallagher. Brereton looked slightly more lively so will make way for Samuel rather than Armstrong. Seriously considering taking the dog a longer than usual walk after tea rather than watching on Tuesday...

Win or bust this one,win and we go back to thinking we have a chance to get into the top 6 and lose and the seasons over and we're back to looking at another mid table season in the Championship with an uninspiring manager and no money to spend on improvements.

• Like 2

Tony will talk like we are playing Brazil, baffle us all with his team selection. Then set us up so we dont look like scoring...Best players and leading goalscorers on the bench. Then finally after thirty passes round our own 18 yard box we give the ball away and it's in our net...How many times have we seen that this season...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Massive fan of Davenport thought he looked tidy and should be starting in a midfield 3. 

Shocked we signed Chapman and never play him.

We CANNOT play wide Strikers and we also CANNOT play Bennett LB.

Chapman has roughly a year left on the contract he signed. He’s played 17 times, scoring once.

tony, why not give him another go? 

• K-Hod pinned this topic
  • Moderation Lead
10 hours ago, WacoRover said:

Chapman has roughly a year left on the contract he signed. He’s played 17 times, scoring once.

tony, why not give him another go? 

Because playing a tall striker on the wing instead, with barely any of the attributes to play there obviously makes more sense.....

• Like 2

Like Wigan, Barnsley on a fantastic run of results. Unlike Wigan now, still scrapping to escape the bottom 3.

Barnsley much more of a footballing side which has been their undoing in the Championship.

If we are to end our pursuit of top 6, I'd rather it happen at Oakwell freeing us up to be a pain in the arse team for the rest of the season. 

I'm not Chapman's biggest fan in the world, but against a former side of his in Barnsley, who are low down in the table, I wouldn't be against playing him.

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Downing

Travis Davenport

Chapman Brereton Armstrong

Graham

After Fulham Barnsley were the best team I have seen at Ewood this season. They completely out footballed us and we crabbed a lucky win but that was the game when the crowd turned and Mowbray was a bit spikey in the post match interviews. I think he needs to forget his sexy formations and flood midfield to stop them playing. Given their league position they have to come at us so we should hit them on the break. In which case Armstrong has to start.