BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Barnsley v Rovers

Here's another INSANE idea, how's about Jacob Davenport, who until aged 19/20 years old, played left-back for Manchester City's youth academy, is given a game at left-back? No, let's play Bennett there instead.

***He also played plenty of games at left-back for Burton Albion too***

Edited by JoeH

44 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Here's another INSANE idea, how's about Jacob Davenport, who until aged 19/20 years old, played left-back for Manchester City's youth academy, is given a game at left-back? No, let's play Bennett there instead.

cracking idea,just one big problem,our manager,he won`t trust davenport to play left back,if he has a good game then it means shifting bennett to somewhere else and there is`nt anywhere else to put him now nyambe is playing well and fit,he can put him on the flank but he`s horrendous there as well,be mowbrays worst nightmare if davenport excels,it means a flighty youngster in the team instead of one who tows the mowbray line,i honestly think thats how he operates

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

now is the time to try and find an internal answer to our left back problem. It would be nice if Davenport was the answer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

Maybe that where Davenport will play tomorrow but we sound short in centre midfield aswell. 

Travis and Evans are big missing for our team. 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe that where Davenport will play tomorrow but we sound short in centre midfield aswell. 

Travis and Evans are big missing for our team. 

If Davenport is played at fullback, the central midfield two should be picked from, Downing, Johnson, Smallwood. Personally I would pick Downing and Johnson with Smallwood on the bench.

9 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Walton

Nyambe   Lenihan  Tosin   Downing

Travis   Davenport   Holtby

Brereton     Graham    Armstrong 

I like this. Solid defensively, with good creativity in midfield. I might be tempted to swap Travis & Davenport, and if Travis is unfit then it was have to be Johnson. Brereton has looked good & can surely play that role better than Gallagher (in the absence of a proper wide right player), possibly even having licence to come inside and play in between the lines, and Graham & Armstrong can work well and a big man / small man combo.

In the starting lineup, there must be no room for Bennett, Gallagher or Rothwell I'm afraid.

The Bristol game had players on form - particularly Evans, the worst gaffe came from Walton which he repeated against Wigan.  The Wigan game had most of the team out of sorts, a fair bit of that was to Wigan's credit but if Barnsley watched the videos (which they will have) they will want to harry the Rovers to put them off their game.  Johnson should (in theory) be a logical choice but he looks unable to perform.  Downing may be the best choice at LB with Davenport in midfield or vice versa.  I'd stick with Walton and pray he sorts his game out.

Up front Brereton and Armstrong definitely need to start with Holtby as the creative 10.

The centre-backs pick themselves as does Nyambe. If Rankin-Costello is fit I would play him in midfield with Travis (who is hopefully fit).

If Bennett plays it should be as right midfield.  Poor sod deserves a run in a more natural position if he is picked.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Rothwell was poor at weekend but may as well give him another go, some players need a run of games, he hasn’t shone this season but it’s been stop start for him 

I think given the lack of output from other areas and the fact we can use 5 subs it’s certainly worth having Chapman on the bench 

As pessimistic as we are tuned to be surely we have to expect a win here 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roversider said:

The Bristol game had players on form - particularly Evans, the worst gaffe came from Walton which he repeated against Wigan.  The Wigan game had most of the team out of sorts, a fair bit of that was to Wigan's credit but if Barnsley watched the videos (which they will have) they will want to harry the Rovers to put them off their game.  Johnson should (in theory) be a logical choice but he looks unable to perform.  Downing may be the best choice at LB with Davenport in midfield or vice versa.  I'd stick with Walton and pray he sorts his game out.

Up front Brereton and Armstrong definitely need to start with Holtby as the creative 10.

The centre-backs pick themselves as does Nyambe. If Rankin-Costello is fit I would play him in midfield with Travis (who is hopefully fit).

If Bennett plays it should be as right midfield.  Poor sod deserves a run in a more natural position if he is picked.

" Harrying players to put them off their game " should be a given in any football team. Why don't we do it ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We do from time to time, and often look pretty effective at it. Yet, it’s never sustained week to week - not fit enough?

Story of the last decade.

We can have an absolutely superb, dominating match. Fast forward a week and our players either look like they can't be arsed being footballers any more or their bodies can't keep up.

Edited by CD_93

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

" Harrying players to put them off their game " should be a given in any football team. Why don't we do it ?

This is precisely what Graham and his strike partners used to do in our promotion season, and it was a joy to watch as it brought us much success. I guess TM has a short memory for things that actually work reliably on the pitch..

Anyway, this evening, I expect an early goal (either way) to be cancelled out by an equaliser just after half time and the rest of the season to fizzle into an acrimonious and underwhelming sequence of dreary dead rubbers.

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

This is precisely what Graham and his strike partners used to do in our promotion season, and it was a joy to watch as it brought us much success. I guess TM has a short memory for things that actually work reliably on the pitch..

Anyway, this evening, I expect an early goal (either way) to be cancelled out by an equaliser just after half time and the rest of the season to fizzle into an acrimonious and underwhelming sequence of dreary dead rubbers.

I always thought that was the easy part of the game. You don't even have to be particularly skillful, you just need a good level of fitness and the determination to win the ball back at all times. Most defenders aren't great on the ball, that's why they're playing at the back. Take advantage of that and win the ball back in the opposition half. How hard is it ?

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We do from time to time, and often look pretty effective at it. Yet, it’s never sustained week to week - not fit enough?

It makes you think. Since we restarted how many players have been unavailable through injury ? it feels like half the team are missing for tonight's game.