BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Barnsley v Rovers

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Rothwell is shite and for some reason gets a very easy ride here. No idea what that's about. 

iv`e never figured out where his rightful position is tbh,on the whole i don`t think he fits in anywhere,not quick enough brain wise to play in midfield and when out wide continually comes back inside to pass square,the only use for him imo,is in away games where you sit a bit deeper and you could utilise him on the counter if you keep him up the pitch and play a long ball over the top,undoubedly he`s on the quick side of rapid,other than that,i really don`t see any use for him,of course he might be better if unburdened with mowbray orders,but that could apply to all the side

7 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

iv`e never figured out where his rightful position is tbh,on the whole i don`t think he fits in anywhere,not quick enough brain wise to play in midfield and when out wide continually comes back inside to pass square,the only use for him imo,is in away games where you sit a bit deeper and you could utilise him on the counter if you keep him up the pitch and play a long ball over the top,undoubedly he`s on the quick side of rapid,other than that,i really don`t see any use for him,of course he might be better if unburdened with mowbray orders,but that could apply to all the side

Maybe off the striker. It's not CM or the wing anyway, that's for sure. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I read that Lenihan missed the game to go to the birth of his first child. I thought he was injured. Not sure every player would make the same decision with us so close to the play offs. 

To be fair mate when him and his missus planned this (assuming it was planned of course....) they would have factored into their plans that late June/early July would be free of football commitments so in that sense normal thinking re play-offs goes out of the window.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I read that Lenihan missed the game to go to the birth of his first child. I thought he was injured. Not sure every player would make the same decision with us so close to the play offs. 

Bloody hell... I’d hope they would!

Expecting anyone to miss the birth of their child for their work is bonkers.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

To be fair mate when him and his missus planned this (assuming it was planned of course....) they would have factored into their plans that late June/early July would be free of football commitments so in that sense normal thinking re play-offs goes out of the window.  

17 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Bloody hell... I’d hope they would!

Expecting anyone to miss the birth of their child for their work is bonkers.

Ya,maybe I am being a bit harsh. I just don't think ,say Roy Keane would have done it. 

I was at the birth of mine, so I do get it. I just wonder would a player miss say an FA cup final or play off final in the same situation. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya,maybe I am being a bit harsh. I just don't think ,say Roy Keane would have done it. 

I was at the birth of mine, so I do get it. I just wonder would a player miss say an FA cup final or play off final in the same situation. 

The actual play off final might be a more difficult decision. Last night's game, a no-brainer for me and no doubt for Lenihan too.

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

The actual play off final might be a more difficult decision. Last night's game, a no-brainer for me and no doubt for Lenihan too.

Ya, but if the play off final would be different, I do struggle a bit to see why a game that can potentially get us there, isn't also one that can't be missed. 

I think this is a recent thing, im not sure players did this in the 80s or even 90s,but I could be wrong. Society in general was different when it came to what men did in these situations. 

He missed it anyway and we lost, so it's all the one now. 

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Of course he wouldn't but we don't have any characters with his winning attitude and tough mentality. I always remember when Roy was ROI assistant and Robbie Keane's wife had just given birth and they asked Roy if he was available and his response was Why wouldn’t he be? He didn’t have the baby. Unless he’s breastfeeding he should be all right.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, but if the play off final would be different, I do struggle a bit to see why a game that can potentially get us there, isn't also one that can't be missed. 

I think this is a recent thing, im not sure players did this in the 80s or even 90s,but I could be wrong. Society in general was different when it came to what men did in these situations. 

He missed it anyway and we lost, so it's all the one now. 

A 'potentially' important game at Barnsley is just not worth the grief of yer missus, to be totally blunt about it. A big game at Wembley might be.

I suppose it depends on a) How understanding his wife is, and b) How important it is for him to be at the birth of his child. Probably in that order as well ???

Edited by oldjamfan1

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

A 'potentially' important game at Barnsley is just not worth the grief of yer missus, to be totally blunt about it. A big game at Wembley might be.

I suppose it depends on a) How understanding his wife is, and b) How important it is for him to be at the birth of his child. Probably in that order as well ???

I hear ya ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

Did say recently that if the club focused on signing edgier, cooler personalities (the type who aren't interested in having a wife and bunch of kids) this type of issue wouldn't be a problem. 

What the f**k have I just read? That’s strange even for you Vinjay! ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Maybe he had a more realistic view of our proximity to the play-offs than you or I ?

• Like 1

We would have lost if Lenihan was playing anyway. First child, come on...who doesnt want to be there? Do you think he would be totally focused on the game anyway? First kid is a big deal. As someone mentioned above, it almost seems like they planned for this baby so that it would not interrupt his football but along came a pandemic - so cannot hold anything against him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

I think ideally you'd give him a run of games as the advanced man in a midfield three (or the tip of a diamond I guess).

He never really gets enough games to settle - and he's not quite quick enough to be played out wide. He has enough skill to beat players, but not enough pace to pull away from them once he's beaten them, which means a lot of his passes / crosses are done so under pressure. 

For his sake I think he needs to move on. Mowbray has sent him backwards as a player. 

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

I think ideally you'd give him a run of games as the advanced man in a midfield three (or the tip of a diamond I guess).

He never really gets enough games to settle - and he's not quite quick enough to be played out wide. He has enough skill to beat players, but not enough pace to pull away from them once he's beaten them, which means a lot of his passes / crosses are done so under pressure. 

For his sake I think he needs to move on. Mowbray has sent him backwards as a player. 

This is it for me - yes he has been pretty awful this season tbh. but he starts, then is dropped and not seen for a few matches, then picked again in another position. his best form came from consistent selection and he loooked great.

Give him a run till the end of the season and then make a decision. He does flatter to deceive but there is a player there. 

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

This is double standards.

The Barnsley game was important. Instead, our season is now all but over having lost the game.

If he would have missed it for a play-off final or even FA Cup then the whole “family is more important than football” argument goes out of the window.

It’s symptomatic though of the lack of ‘winners’ Mowbray has assembled. He even drilled this lack of winning mentality into the club ethos by not trying to win the League One title - instead rotating his team, just for the sake of it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stuart said:

This is double standards.

The Barnsley game was important. Instead, our season is now all but over having lost the game.

If he would have missed it for a play-off final or even FA Cup then the whole “family is more important than football” argument goes out of the window.

It’s symptomatic though of the lack of ‘winners’ Mowbray has assembled. He even drilled this lack of winning mentality into the club ethos by not trying to win the League One title - instead rotating his team, just for the sake of it. 

It was a joke Stuart.....

But just to be clear, there is not one iota of criticism from me towards the lad for skipping the game. Nor would there have been had it been the playoff final at Wembley he missed. It’s not like Joe Root planning the birth of his child in the middle of the cricket season and missing captaining England for it, Lenihan planned for this to be off-season it would appear, so nothing to do with his commitment to Rovers. You don’t get a second chance to be present at the birth of your first child, it’s only football for goodness sake. 

• Like 9

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Vinjay said:

Did say recently that if the club focused on signing edgier, cooler personalities (the type who aren't interested in having a wife and bunch of kids) this type of issue wouldn't be a problem. 

Yeah but, you know, nobody listens to your mad ramblings at the best of times Vinners

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1