BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Barnsley v Rovers

I’m as gutted as anyone about our last two defeats but I have to say has any recent Rovers manager had a run of such bad luck with injuries as Tony Mowbray?

We had the dream midfield duo of Travis and Evans who played so well against Bristol now out probably for the rest of this campaign.

We have a 5th choice left back in Bennett who gets some pelters on here but is ready to perform when asked.

We have possibly our 4th choice centre back against Barnsley.

Bradley Dack has been a huge miss for us since the first Wigan game and Armstrong who was on fire before lockdown is struggling after his isolation. 

I know Mowbray deserves some criticism over the strikers department with a serious lack of form and confidence from Gallagher, Samuel and the misfiring Brereton.

It is very frustrating and I’ve resigned myself to more Championship football next season.

1 minute ago, tonygreenbank said:

We had the dream midfield duo of Travis and Evans who played so well against Bristol now out probably for the rest of this campaign.

Never did I think I would see the words dream midfield and Evans in the same sentence. Wow.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Can I just say I love rovers literally more than anything in life with exception of my one and only child. I would miss the champions league final if I was playing for rovers and they reached the final to be at the birth of my daughter. Lenihan has absolutely done the right thing

It's 2020 and there's cameras now. "Having to be there" just seems to be about ego really and patting themselves on the back. Far as I'm concerned parents should be judged on what their child turns out to be like (though in some extreme cases children will be a disappointment no matter what their parents do) not because they happened be in the immediate vicinity when the child was born.

Not sure what people expected from Lenihan though. He's not even a Rovers fan. His kid will be dressed up in a United shirt right now in all likelihood not a Rovers one.

Edited by Vinjay

14 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

It's 2020 and there's cameras now. "Having to be there" just seems to be about ego really and patting themselves on the back. Far as I'm concerned parents should be judged on what their child turns out to be like (though in some extreme cases children will be a disappointment no matter what their parents do) not because they happened be in the immediate vicinity when the child was born.

Not sure what people expected from Lenihan though. He's not even a Rovers fan. His kid will be dressed up in a United shirt right now in all likelihood not a Rovers one.

In fairness at least one parent should be there.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

I’m as gutted as anyone about our last two defeats but I have to say has any recent Rovers manager had a run of such bad luck with injuries as Tony Mowbray?

We have a 5th choice left back in Bennett who gets some pelters on here but is ready to perform when asked.

Bradley Dack has been a huge miss for us since the first Wigan game and Armstrong who was on fire before lockdown is struggling after his isolation. 

I know Mowbray deserves some criticism over the strikers department with a serious lack of form and confidence from Gallagher, Samuel and the misfiring Brereton.

It is very frustrating and I’ve resigned myself to more Championship football next season.

If only there was some way to recruit other, better players...!

Impossible to feel sorry for the guy when this situation is of his own making, Tony.

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

can believe Stuart is still saying Lenihan should have missed the birth of his first child for just one game of football. I'm sorry but family comes first every time and so it should. 

Can’t believe you still feel the need to respond and can’t grasp the context.

Funny thing is people look at the likes of Wigan and worry that it could be us when Venkys finally turn off the taps, yet also seem to think we have loads of time on our side.

We need promotion. It’s not about “one game of football”, it’s about the business end of what could have been a promotion season.

You just look at things through a simplistic lens. Of course family is important but he needs to provide for that child for the next 18 years, not for one day.

Was the baby even born yesterday?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The context is he and his wife planned it so that it didn’t interfere with his job. I would possibly agree that he should play if it was due during what would be the ‘normal’ dates of a football season (Exhibit A - the England cricket captain), but COVID changed things and I think he deserves a bit of slack here. 

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Funny thing is people look at the likes of Wigan and worry that it could be us when Venkys finally turn off the taps, yet also seem to think we have loads of time on our side.

We need promotion. It’s not about “one game of football”, it’s about the business end of what could have been a promotion season.

You just look at things through a simplistic lens. Of course family is important but he needs to provide for that child for the next 18 years, not for one day.

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but I've never got this new trend of the father being at the birth.

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

They could have considered inducing too. Can't be risky parents do it quite often so Father can flatter his ego being present at the birth.

If people believe Lenihan should have been present they could always keep that opinion to themselves. Rather than patting themselves on their back on how they have such high values. People don't realise that fans act as promotional vehicles for the club. 

1 minute ago, Vinjay said:

They could have considered inducing too. Can't be risky parents do it quite often so Father can flatter his ego being present at the birth.

If people believe Lenihan should have been present they could always keep that opinion to themselves. Rather than patting themselves on their back on how they have such high values. People don't realise that fans act as promotional vehicles for the club. 

I’m gonna assume you’re not a parent yourself Vinjay. It’s got nothing to do with ego.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but I've never got this new trend of the father being at the birth.

Me neither. It's a recent affectation like kids having proms at primary school etc. You took your wife into hospital and they showed you the door.  First I knew I was a father was my dad came knocking on the door at 6-00am to wake me up tell me. I went back to bed for a few hours and then I went into work at dinner time. Visiting time was at night. Wives were kept in for the best part of a week then. The was a bus from town up to the hospital at night - It was called the " Blunder Bus ". I wasn't there for the second son either. It wasn't the done thing in the 1970's.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

18 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Football is a job to Lenihan. 

No offence Stuart but Family is the number 1 priority before a simple game of football. He wanted to be side of his wife for the birth of 1st child. You will never get that experience again. 

We arent in Wigan situation at all. Venkys are paying the Bill's every single season so far. 

No idea when the baby was born and that should be no fans concerned at all. 

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Me neither. It's a recent affectation like kids having proms at primary school etc. You took your wife into hospital and they showed you the door.  First I knew I was a father was my dad came knocking on the door at 6-00am to wake me up tell me. I went back to bed for a few hours and then I went into work at dinner time. Visiting time was at night. Wives were kept in for the best part of a week then. The was a bus from town up to the hospital at night - It was called the " Blunder Bus ". I wasn't there for the second son either. It wasn't the done thing in the 1970's.

Or the1980’s

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Football is a job to Lenihan. 

No offence Stuart but Family is the number 1 priority before a simple game of football. He wanted to be side of his wife for the birth of 1st child. You will never get that experience again. 

We arent in Wigan situation at all. Venkys are paying the Bill's every single season so far. 

No idea when the baby was born and that should be no fans concerned at all. 

Reading that, you’ve totally ignored (or not grasped) my reply (or the gravitas of Rovers financial predicament). Do you trust Venkys to carry this club indefinitely?

Fans shouldn’t be concerned whether the sole reason that our captain missed a season ending defeat actually ended up being worthwhile? At least we’d be able to say it wasn’t a complete waste at the expense Rovers season.

Edit: She has had the baby according to his IG post. They all look very happy - good that all is well.

Edited by Stuart

2 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

I get what you are saying but in fairness I think some of it is poor planning from TM. 

In defence he knew Lenihen was injury prone early on (appreciate that's not why he was missing this time) and Mulgrews age wasn't a secret. To not get adequate cover for either of these is poor management. 

Midfield we have known for years Evans is more injured than fit. It's no surprise as it has been that way for years. Other than Travis the quality of our more defensive minded mids is poor. Had we better quality than Johnson or Smallwood again the miss would have been less. 

Dack is a blow, a big blow and is unlucky as is Travis so yeah he has had it hard done to. But with Dack he had 2 or 3 players who could fill that role so didn't need to change formation.

So he has been unlucky but his blunders have made the situation worse imo. 

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

The context is he and his wife planned it so that it didn’t interfere with his job. I would possibly agree that he should play if it was due during what would be the ‘normal’ dates of a football season (Exhibit A - the England cricket captain), but COVID changed things and I think he deserves a bit of slack here. 

That’s not a bad point actually. 

However, assuming Mowbray didn’t insist (“your head won’t be right, Darragh”), he still had a decision to make. As captain and lynchpin in defence, and crucially, combined with the fact that Mowbray has proven to be incapable of sorting out our defence, the decision he made ended our season.

Let’s all hope this season has been the only casualty.

16 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Think his point is that we might have something to celibate.

My point is getting away from the whole "family marketing" watered down Disney nonsense most clubs go for. I'm not sure what the legal position is on this but one of my moves would be to stop admitting anyone under 16. The problem is if you cater to an "edgier" crowd you might attract some real neanderthal types (hooligans, etc) but if you're zero tolerance on certain issues but relaxed on others (something which could attract players/employees who are tired of being corporate puppets) you could attract people from across society and create a very unique atmosphere around the place. The goal primarily is not to be boring and making an effort to be different which for some reason is seen as controversial and radical. OK you can do some publicity stunts and stir controversy but it does not have to be the entire basis of a marketing plan. 

Edited by Vinjay