BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Barnsley v Rovers

4 hours ago, Miller11 said:

This thread has become fucking ridiculous 

Beat me to it due to time zone difference :rover:

I've spent years panning the Vs and now the M-W scam artists so I'll give the Lenihan bashing wagon a miss.

Personally I would have played. I missed playing as CF in a Cup Semi-Final to get married and regret that decision to this day. We lost 1-0. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Beat me to it due to time zone difference :rover:

I've spent years panning the Vs and now the M-W scam artists so I'll give the Lenihan bashing wagon a miss.

Personally I would have played. I missed playing as CF in a Cup Semi-Final to get married and regret that decision to this day. We lost 1-0. :)

As Bill Shankly once said “Who gets married during the football season?” ??

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stuart said:

That’s not a bad point actually. 

However, assuming Mowbray didn’t insist (“your head won’t be right, Darragh”), he still had a decision to make. As captain and lynchpin in defence, and crucially, combined with the fact that Mowbray has proven to be incapable of sorting out our defence, the decision he made ended our season.

Let’s all hope this season has been the only casualty.

Indeed. 

It was a really important game. As pointed out if it was the FA cup or play off final ,you would expect him not to miss it. In my opinion this game was so big, perhaps a different decision needed to be made. We have been in the championship over a decade and this was arguably our best shot at promotion. 

We conceding either of those goals with Darragh playing? Not sure. I just wonder did he make the decision ,or did Mowbray. Would Neil Warnock have made the same one in our position? Maybe he has ,I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. I mean I'm sure the club could have made some arrangements where his time away from the maternity could have been absolutely minimised. 

Without getting too deep on it or pointing a finger at one of our best players, promotion would mean a lot financially and in other ways to staff at the club and the town in general. Football isn't like other jobs, sometimes you only get one chance. Plus footballers are very well paid to do their job, they aren't on ye minimum wage. If you're paid 20,000 plus per week, perhaps there is a bigger obligation to carry out your role. 

Anyway, it's done now. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

12 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but I've never got this new trend of the father being at the birth.

I was at mine and I'm delighted I was there to support my partner. Only one person is allowed on and I'm glad it was me. 

I just ,maybe unfairly, put football in a different category. You are paid vast sums of money to carry out a specific role that nobody else can do as well(on the basis that Lenihan is a starter and captain). Getting promoted would be life changing for fans, the town and the rest of the squad. It just strikes me as a Mowbray "softly , softly" decision and I'm not sure every manager would be the same. 

It's not an easy one to be fair, as a player could easily get in a huff if they don't get their way. I mean of doing this instils more loyalty in Lenihan to the point where he commits to stay here ,great, but imagine he leaves during the summer?  

30 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

As Bill Shankly once said “Who gets married during the football season?” ??

I once had to miss the game in which my team won the league. We were playing the second in the league, so whoever won would be champions. They won 4-1. I was an usher at my cousins wedding in Blackpool. For the locals his family lived on Carr Street in Blackburn.  At least I got to ride in a " Rolls-Royce ", but it wasn't much compensation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I was at mine and I'm delighted I was there to support my partner. Only one person is allowed on and I'm glad it was me. 

I just ,maybe unfairly, put football in a different category. You are paid vast sums of money to carry out a specific role that nobody else can do as well(on the basis that Lenihan is a starter and captain). Getting promoted would be life changing for fans, the town and the rest of the squad. It just strikes me as a Mowbray "softly , softly" decision and I'm not sure every manager would be the same. 

It's not an easy one to be fair, as a player could easily get in a huff if they don't get their way. I mean of doing this instils more loyalty in Lenihan to the point where he commits to stay here ,great, but imagine he leaves during the summer?  

I would have thought that will be a distinct possibility.

12 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but I've never got this new trend of the father being at the birth.

It's been around for decades.

I was at the birth of my 4th child

Only as I was at home at the time, my wife gave birth like shelling peas and we just got to Hospital, a one hour drive away, with minutes to spare. I was in a gown not by choice.

Usually I was abroad working to put food on the family's table, like a footballer is doing on a match day. I was away working at the birth of 2 of my 4 kids.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Never did I think I would see the words dream midfield and Evans in the same sentence. Wow.

I see where you’re coming from! Not sure why I used the word “dream!” I was referring to the fact that they are our best current partnership out of the options we have. 

My last word on this Lenihan discussion, because its clear that folk are fairly entrenched in their views either way on this, though I'm not sure this situation is a 'normal' case of a professional footballer opting not to play in a game. Look at it from his point of view (I am making some assumptions obviously but none of them are as far-fetched as "We would have beaten Barnsley if he had not been a selfish bastard and played"):

He's a young married man and him and his wife discuss starting a family. They agree that he wishes to be present at the birth (which, regardless of whether men did that kind of thing 50 years ago, it is the year 2020 and they do that nowadays) and decide upon the best time to have the baby for him to be able to attend the birth without having to miss a match. "It'll need to be off-season love, we have a window of about 6 weeks, from the beginning of June to the middle of July, although the gaffer would probably be okay if I missed a day of pre season training to attend the birth, so even if it stretched to the end of July I should be okay". So that is when they plan their happy event for, with the comfort that it won't interfere with the dad-to-be's professional commitments. 

They weren't to know that - for the first time ever - circumstances would cause the football league season to be extended into June and July. Presumably the couple discusses things again. Mrs Lenihan asks "I assume you'll still be attending the birth Daz?". 

"Oh, I'm not sure" he replies, "I really want to and I know we agreed that it is the only chance I'll ever get to be there when my first child is born, but we have a really important couple of games around about your due date, because mathematically we can still get into those play-offs"

"Who are they against?"

"Oh, Wigan and Barnsley" .

"Wigan and Barnsley? They don't sound particularly important to me. And is there nobody else that can play in your place?"

"Well not really, Oh, apart from the club captain and Scottish international Charlie Mulgrew."

"Can't Elliot Bennett play centre half too if required?"

"Yeah, actually, he probably could"

A bit tongue in cheek but I don't blame the lad at all.    

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Vinjay said:

My point is getting away from the whole "family marketing" watered down Disney nonsense most clubs go for. I'm not sure what the legal position is on this but one of my moves would be to stop admitting anyone under 16. The problem is if you cater to an "edgier" crowd you might attract some real neanderthal types (hooligans, etc) but if you're zero tolerance on certain issues but relaxed on others (something which could attract players/employees who are tired of being corporate puppets) you could attract people from across society and create a very unique atmosphere around the place. The goal primarily is not to be boring and making an effort to be different which for some reason is seen as controversial and radical. OK you can do some publicity stunts and stir controversy but it does not have to be the entire basis of a marketing plan. 

Just to clarify, do you mean stop anyone attending a matchday at Ewood who is under 16 years of age?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Traviscon said:

Just to clarify, do you mean stop anyone attending a matchday at Ewood who is under 16 years of age?

Vinjay .You can see why,so many clubs have tried that in the past. ?

Edited by rigger

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

My last word on this Lenihan discussion, because its clear that folk are fairly entrenched in their views either way on this, though I'm not sure this situation is a 'normal' case of a professional footballer opting not to play in a game. Look at it from his point of view (I am making some assumptions obviously but none of them are as far-fetched as "We would have beaten Barnsley if he had not been a selfish bastard and played"):

He's a young married man and him and his wife discuss starting a family. They agree that he wishes to be present at the birth (which, regardless of whether men did that kind of thing 50 years ago, it is the year 2020 and they do that nowadays) and decide upon the best time to have the baby for him to be able to attend the birth without having to miss a match. "It'll need to be off-season love, we have a window of about 6 weeks, from the beginning of June to the middle of July, although the gaffer would probably be okay if I missed a day of pre season training to attend the birth, so even if it stretched to the end of July I should be okay". So that is when they plan their happy event for, with the comfort that it won't interfere with the dad-to-be's professional commitments. 

They weren't to know that - for the first time ever - circumstances would cause the football league season to be extended into June and July. Presumably the couple discusses things again. Mrs Lenihan asks "I assume you'll still be attending the birth Daz?". 

"Oh, I'm not sure" he replies, "I really want to and I know we agreed that it is the only chance I'll ever get to be there when my first child is born, but we have a really important couple of games around about your due date, because mathematically we can still get into those play-offs"

"Who are they against?"

"Oh, Wigan and Barnsley" .

"Wigan and Barnsley? They don't sound particularly important to me. And is there nobody else that can play in your place?"

"Well not really, Oh, apart from the club captain and Scottish international Charlie Mulgrew."

"Can't Elliot Bennett play centre half too if required?"

"Yeah, actually, he probably could"

A bit tongue in cheek but I don't blame the lad at all.    

Ah, I know it's far from an easy one. I can certainly see both sides of it. 

• Like 1

Some shockers of posts here.

Fair play to the bloke for being there and standing by his word to his Mrs. A real man. I'm sure his child will be over the moon they were worthy of such a "sacrifice" (but I bet Darragh didn't see it as a sacrifice at all).

Some of you should give your head a wobble. Usual lot though, nevermind. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Traviscon said:

Yes. Whether they are with an adult or not. Coach tickets for children already have to be purchased by adults. Does anyone know the percentage of away tickets allocated for juniors compared to adults? Obviously it must be lower but by how much? 90%?

8 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

Yes. Whether they are with an adult or not. Coach tickets for children already have to be purchased by adults. Does anyone know the percentage of away tickets allocated for juniors compared to adults? Obviously it must be lower but by how much? 90%?

I think you might find that a touch illegal , and a great deal stupid, because you will be alienating an entire generation. As people die you will lose supporters with no one to replace them, eventually the club dies. Good plan?

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

How do you think you’ll attract the next generation of support? Or stop the entire child population of England supporting a glory club (even Man Utd, gasp!) without letting children into grounds?

‘Earth to planet Vinners!’

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

I find that notion incredible. The vast majority of Rovers fans I know and associate with first went as youngsters and got the bug. Not every kid will grow into an regular attendee but some will. And some adults only go to take their children or grandchildren, to spend some time with them and hopefully celebrate a win together. I got my granddaughter a season ticket for the current season and she really enjoys the whole experience of going to Ewood on the bus, having some chips and watching the game. If there is some kind of scam (which you seem to be alluding to) with junior tickets then the club needs to sort it, not some hare brained idea of banning all kids like yours is.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

How do you think you’ll attract the next generation of support? Or stop the entire child population of England supporting a glory club (even Man Utd, gasp!) without letting children into grounds?

‘Earth to planet Vinners!’

Because if you build the perception of being edgy, cool and rather controversial they will be attracted to a different kind of atmosphere. Kids like what's forbidden to them and young adults aren't too far removed from that. There's no such thing as a "family club" and while football may be sanitised look at all the swearing, vulgar chants, etc. You take away the pressure of having footballers act like role models (and give them certain boundaries that aren't allowed at other clubs) and having kids brainwashed by players who don't really give a toss about them. At least if you get older and you are attracted to a different marketing approach you can make that decision for yourselves. Of course if you're more careful about the type of players you bring in (and lengthier contracts designed to stop them leaving or academy players who just leech off the club) they would be attracted to that as well. People say it would "hold the club back". Well so be it if you can't find 16 players across Europe (and beyond) who might be Championship calibre (who should sign for extra freedoms but certain contractual conditions) then you're obviously not looking hard enough. People say "oh you're holding the club back" by narrowing the talent pool.that's all people on here do anyway. Hardly anyone hates FUP and even the most basic or slightly radical ideas are ignored never mind stuff like this. Only signing basque players hasn't hurt Athletic Bilbao that much. OK it's possible they could have won more with different signing policy but they have never been relegated.

A lot of adults don't want to babysit their kids during a football match. Why is the atmosphere considered to be better at away games? One of the reasons is there's less kids there. 

Edited by Vinjay

No married men either, though, I remember you saying?

They lose their edge too!  (Can anybody in parochial towns be edgy, anyway? ?).

‘Roll up, roll up! Birth and marriage certificates in hand please or no entry!’ :D

Edited by Mattyblue

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

No married men either, though, I remember you saying?

They lose their edge too!  (Can anybody in parochial towns be edgy, anyway? ?).

‘Roll up, roll up! Birth and marriage certificates in hand please or no entry!’ :D

When I first got married within 6 months I'd put half a stone on and lost a yard of pace.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

Because if you build the perception of being edgy, cool and rather controversial they will be attracted to a different kind of atmosphere. Kids like what's forbidden to them and young adults aren't too far removed from that. There's no such thing as a "family club" and while football may be sanitised look at all the swearing, vulgar chants, etc. You take away the pressure of having footballers act like role models (and give them certain boundaries that aren't allowed at other clubs) and having kids brainwashed by players who don't really give a toss about them. At least if you get older and you are attracted to a different marketing approach you can make that decision for yourselves. Of course if you're more careful about the type of players you bring in (and lengthier contracts designed to stop them leaving or academy players who just leech off the club) they would be attracted to that as well. People say it would "hold the club back". Well so be it if you can't find 16 players across Europe (and beyond) who might be Championship calibre (who should sign for extra freedoms but certain contractual conditions) then you're obviously not looking hard enough. People say "oh you're holding the club back" by narrowing the talent pool.that's all people on here do anyway. Even the most basic or slightly radical ideas are ignored never mind stuff like this. Only signing basque players hasn't hurt Athletic Bilbao that much. OK it's possible they could have won more with different signing policy but they have never been relegated.

A lot of adults don't want to babysit their kids during a football match. Why is the atmosphere considered to be better at away games? One of the reasons is there's less kids there. 

Many clubs in the 70s went down the edgy fan route