BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Administration

52 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

Lots of hand wringing on the wigan forums, they are hoping Dave whelan will bale them out as he has already said he will try to help but needs to know the extent of debt, rumored to be 24million, so could be a non starter, also fans are asking why 3 weeks ago players contracts were sorted and apparently a new training facility for all this to collapse today, the new owner took over 4 weeks ago, may be something to do with Chinas new legislation they put through last week or was it this week regarding Hong Kong.

Also some are having a go at Bradley Dack for some tweet he did which he has said is nothing to do with Wigan as he dosent care what goes on thier, and a few fans are actually defending him due to the dispicable way thier fans taunted him with his injury. Still it all looks dodgy ownership, as some say it could be us but so far Venkys stay loyal.

Dont get this Frog and Coffee tweet that i am hearing about. What are they taking from it?

Showing my age I guess. From a google:-

What does a frog and coffee emoji mean?
Frog emoji + coffee cup emoji: Based off a popular meme of Kermit the Frog drinking a cup of tea, teens use this emoji combo to sarcastically imply 'but that's none of my business' or 'I'm just saying'.Jan 26, 2016
Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldgregg86 said:

What about a cheeky bid for their left back that nearly ended up in Italy in January. Great player and venkys will always sign a cheque 

I think he will have better offers than us sadly. He looks an excellent player comfortably the best player on the pitch both times we have played them this season.

• Like 3

Wigan have no money in their accounts and no income. They don’t even have money to transport the team to away venues and will be relying on players to help them out. They don’t have money to pay wages and it is the ground staff who will be the only ones paid due to the rugby side of things which is in slightly better shape than the football side. Their biggest worry is that the Rugby side collapses as well which will cause serious issues for both clubs. Wigan RL were looking to relocate next season away from DW and now my neighbours think they have to move to survive. Dave Whelan on the fence about finance according to Wigan news

1 hour ago, EgyptianPete said:

Lots of hand wringing on the wigan forums, they are hoping Dave whelan will bale them out as he has already said he will try to help but needs to know the extent of debt, rumored to be 24million, so could be a non starter, also fans are asking why 3 weeks ago players contracts were sorted and apparently a new training facility for all this to collapse today, the new owner took over 4 weeks ago, may be something to do with Chinas new legislation they put through last week or was it this week regarding Hong Kong.

This was always likely to happen to Wigan once Whelan left. Pre Whelan they were at their best a mid table 3rd tier side in a rugby town. Thanks to his money they punched above their weight admirably for years but you couldn't help but feel something like this would always happen to them once Whelan went. 

39 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Their keeper is better than ours too - not saying much i know. 

He's been strongly linked with Celtic.

Edited by Ewood Ace

1 hour ago, Lucimo said:

No you are right I don't care either. But I'd rather not laugh(publicly) for fear it will bite us on the arse at a later stage 

Should people never celebrate anything on the basis Venkys might pull out? I don't care about Wigan as such but you could say Whelan is Wigan. The club might as well be renamed Whelan Athletic. They never amounted to anything until the day he took over. FUP loving hypocrite who hopefully will now get his long deserved comeuppance. 

2 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

Should people never celebrate anything on the basis Venkys might pull out? I don't care about Wigan as such but you could say Whelan is Wigan. The club might as well be renamed Whelan Athletic. They never amounted to anything until the day he took over. FUP loving hypocrite who hopefully will now get his long deserved comeuppance. 

What's to celebrate?

2 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

I don’t see how he will get his comeuppance he doesn’t own Wigan anymore 

Fair to say they've gotten on our nerves the last few years but that's the six fingered influence stoked it up on their side. Sad to see them in the mire though and it's a strange situation but just shows how finely balanced some smaller clubs finances are.

Both them and Bolton were in good ownership for years until not very long ago. You just cannot help but think one day in the not too distant it'll be our turn. That's why we desperately need a trip to the land of milk and honey no matter how brief and painful it may be.

And that's why the likes of 'i haven't got the balls to go for it' Mowbray boil my piss.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 9

Is it a coincidence that most of the clubs in the orbit of the Manchester two are really struggling/already gone - Bolton, Bury, Oldham and Wigan?

Big towns, but unfortunately teaming with glory fans (plus RL in Wigan, of course).

• Like 1

I hope Wigan survives but it will be a very difficult time to find a buyer. 

Wasn't Joe Royle and his son in charge of the club. 

I think Whelan will buy the club but he wont finances it like last time and massive cut backs will have to happen

12 minutes ago, Alex Rover said:

For a layman (me) is there any reason (financially?) that someone would take over a business with the intention to immediately declare administration?

Looks to me like it might have been along the lines of Holdsworth and co getting hold of Bolton.

Probably plans to punt it on again quickly whilst charging all-sorts of consultancy fees and trying to put a few clauses in for future benefit.

Like that one its not worked out so its gone tits up. Somebody will have made a few quid out of it though. That's football.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

New owners have to prove they have the funds in place to run the club for the next 12 months before the League approves any takeover. 

I'm not sure how the coronavirus excuse washes when the takeover was done in May well into the crisis so surely they knew what was coming.

Can only assume therefore that the League haven't requested proof of funds or alternatively they have proved the funds are there but subsequently pulled the plug. 

Either way something doesn't smell right and it once again shows up the League as not being fit for purpose.

Reading between the lines something very dodgy going on here and I suspect coronavirus is a convenient cover story.

I think you are correct that something isn't right about this deal with this new owner

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Is it a coincidence that most of the clubs in the orbit of the Manchester two are really struggling/already gone - Bolton, Bury, Oldham and Wigan?

Big towns, but unfortunately teaming with glory fans (plus RL in Wigan, of course).

Think there's something in this. Add Stockport into the mix too. It seems to have followed the direction that those towns have followed. Once proud, independent Lancashire towns in many ways consumed and virtually reduced to suburbs of Manchester over the last 20-30 years. 

With behemoths of United and City hoovering up all the talent and young fans subsidising tickets and a few tram stops away who grows up supporting Oldham or Bury now? 

100 years ago it was a no brainer. Support your town team. Now not so. Jump on the bus to the Etihad and watch Champions League football for similar to League Two.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I think it's more to do with the same thing most of us suffer from. The stupid wages at most levels of football and the snouts in the troughs behind the scenes.

How many clubs in the champ / LGE 1 & 2  can cover their wage bills from their own gate/commercial and media income ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Well yes, but structural problems are amplified in that area, for me the only reason clubs like Bury, with a great history going back to the dawn of the game, 130 years of league football, a big town, could only muster crowds of 2,000 is purely due to a fan drain down the road.

Edited by Mattyblue

This could really shake up the pyramid.

Maybe its just natural progression despite the history of all these town clubs from nostalgic days long past. ?

If you look at the reality of the modern game, Rovers are arguably in the 3rd division.

We have a top half PL which is like D1 (PL1). Big money city teams.

Then the bottom half PL sides and top of champ like D2 (PL2).

Then rest of Champ plus a few big clubs lower down (D3).

Some Champ clubs plus most below simply not viable as pro clubs. ?

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the staff if their jobs are inevitably at risk.

Couldn't care less about anything else in relation to Wigan.

They installed us as rivals years ago and have acted like tossers towards us ever since. I don't just forget about how they acted when they sent us down or the abuse they dished out to Dack after ending his (and effectively our) season.

• Like 4