BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Administration

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Why couldn't he?

This is a model that works in Germany and in the modern era hold the Bundesliga up as a model to follow. Terrific atmospheres, some fantastic players being generated from them clubs, low ticket prices etc etc.

Being a follower of a German football club seems to be a much happier place than an English counterpart from the outside looking in of course. 

With the same club champions every single year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

With the same club champions every single year.

That's a problem when you have a club as huge as Bayern Munich in the league though. Besides, we have gone through two periods of club dominance (Liverpool, Man United) and in all the time the Premier League has been in existence only us and Leicester have ever broke the trend of league winners, save Liverpool this year. Are we really much different anyway?

Italy - one club wins every year.

Scotland - one club wins every year.

Spain - 2 clubs, usually take it in turns.

Big leagues are dominated by big clubs, fan ownership as part of their model or not. What we are focusing on is stopping the small clubs being hacked apart by con men and shady investment. 

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Fan ownership would make that outcome more likely.

Nonsense.

Lord knows why a football fan would have a problem with a 50%+1 model for clubs is beyond me, even more so a supporter of Rovers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I have been watching the Warriors for over twenty years now and had a lesser interest for a few years prior to that, taking in my first game at Central Park in 1994.

Since taking over from Dave Whelan in 2007, Ian Lenagan has proved himself to be a man of the upmost integrity, as well as being a highly successful chairman of the rugby club. I can assure you that, assuming he gets a consortium together, he will have the best interests of both the football and rugby clubs at heart. 

You weren't at the World Club Championship game, Wigan V Manley then ?  That showed how much of a Rugby League town Wigan is. The ground was packed to the rafters with over 35,000 on and there were hundreds watching outside Central Park just to get a glimpse of the game through a gap between the stands.

I agree with you regarding Ian Lenagan, he's nobodies fool. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

That's a problem when you have a club as huge as Bayern Munich in the league though. Besides, we have gone through two periods of club dominance (Liverpool, Man United) and in all the time the Premier League has been in existence only us and Leicester have ever broke the trend of league winners, save Liverpool this year. Are we really much different anyway?

Italy - one club wins every year.

Scotland - one club wins every year.

Spain - 2 clubs, usually take it in turns.

Big leagues are dominated by big clubs, fan ownership as part of their model or not. What we are focusing on is stopping the small clubs being hacked apart by con men and shady investment. 

Nonsense.

Lord knows why a football fan would have a problem with a 50%+1 model for clubs is beyond me, even more so a supporter of Rovers.

Where does the money come from to finance the "investment" - in reality excess of expenditure over income - that fans demand for their club under your proposal ?

27 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I live here. I know three people who attend Latics matches, I know 20+ who attend Warriors games. This is a rugby town and it always has been. Every town has United/Liverpool supporters, Wigan none more so or less so than any other, but this town is a rugby town and it will always be that way. Their attendances show that, and they're only getting worse. 

They'd be much better off lower down the pyramid, operating under more realistic budgets with a local businessman who has at least some care for the club at the forefront of his decision making.

I can second that. I lived in Wigan from the estly 90s and the town centre on a sunny day was a sea of cherry and white hoops.....very seldom you saw a football top. Whelan changed that.

Where does the money come from to finance the "investment" - in reality excess of expenditure over income - that fans demand for their club under your proposal ?

The exact same place it does now. You are acting like this isn't a model already being used with a great degree of success.

Owners claim they aren't here to make huge profits, they invest because they want to invest in their supported club. If that is the case then there should be no problem in continuing to do so.

Besides, if it meant that the hugely inflated market has to deflate to normal levels then so be it. If you also think the money generated currently in the Championship + Premier League would seize to flow then you are also sorely mistaken. People would not stop sponsoring, or watching on television.

Besides, we are supporters of Blackburn Rovers, and we do not have the financial backing of Qatar. It would benefit us greatly if a 50%+1 model was brought in, which again begs the question why you are so against it? 

You seem to value the "Premier League" brand much more than you seem to value the sport.

• Like 1

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

The exact same place it does now. You are acting like this isn't a model already being used with a great degree of success.

Owners claim they aren't here to make huge profits, they invest because they want to invest in their supported club. If that is the case then there should be no problem in continuing to do so.

Besides, if it meant that the hugely inflated market has to deflate to normal levels then so be it. If you also think the money generated currently in the Championship + Premier League would seize to flow then you are also sorely mistaken. People would not stop sponsoring, or watching on television.

Besides, we are supporters of Blackburn Rovers, and we do not have the financial backing of Qatar. It would benefit us greatly if a 50%+1 model was brought in, which again begs the question why you are so against it? 

You seem to value the "Premier League" brand much more than you seem to value the sport.

Who would fund our losses ? You ?

Owners will only put money in if they decide how it is spent .

• Like 1

Who would fund our losses ? You ?

Owners will only put money in if they decide how it is spent .

Our losses are happening because the model of English football is built in a way that teams are that desperate to reach the Premier League they are willing to sacrifice huge losses in order to get there. The proposal of having fan representation isn't including that and sticking with the status quo.

Just look into what goes on in German football and how the small clubs are better protected against dodgy ownership (see 1860 Munich for example; see Hoffenheim for how they decided who was the right man). You have half an argument for the decrease of quality that may come from it; you have no point in defending the state of modern english football.

You are seemingly more interested in protecting the integrity of modern football than you are in ensuring the true shareholders of the clubs (fans) are given representation and voting rights of the club they financially support for the entirety of their lives.

It's a strange stance for a football fan to take. If we had fan ownership in this country Bury would still be operating, Wigan wouldn't be into administration and we'd have never had the early Venky-years. What we would have had though is the Jack Walker years because ultimately could you see a fan of the club saying no to that model?

Owners will still have rights to say how their money is spent. Again though, you are a Rovers fan, and such a rule protects the club from external investors, so what is your beef with it? ?

• Like 4

Bury went under due to overspending, their supporters didn't try to stop it.

Here the whole time we see Rovers supporters shouting for millions to be spent on new signings, getting rid of TM, hiring some glossy successor . The source of the money to do this under your scheme ? Nowhere to be seen. Only possible for rich owners; rich people like to control - no different in 1991 to 2000.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You weren't at the World Club Championship game, Wigan V Manley then ?  That showed how much of a Rugby League town Wigan is. The ground was packed to the rafters with over 35,000 on and there were hundreds watching outside Central Park just to get a glimpse of the game through a gap between the stands.

I agree with you regarding Ian Lenagan, he's nobodies fool. 

I wasn’t at the Manley game, Tyrone, a few years before I got the bug. I do have the dvd of the game. Superb showing and a real arm wrestle. 

• Moderation Lead
5 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

Have to wonder if Whelan's done this on purpose. Hypocritical git loves FUP perhaps this is all part of a grand scheme to get more clubs on board in future.

I’ll be honest, I think that’s a massive stretch.

21 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Bury went under due to overspending, their supporters didn't try to stop it.

Here the whole time we see Rovers supporters shouting for millions to be spent on new signings, getting rid of TM, hiring some glossy successor . The source of the money to do this under your scheme ? Nowhere to be seen. Only possible for rich owners; rich people like to control - no different in 1991 to 2000.

No point even trying with you. If some people on here said the sky was blue you'd say it was yellow.

You've clearly spent no time at all looking into what you are arguing against based on your points, or refuse to see that a change like the 50%+1 model means continuing with how football in England currently is.

Managers in Germany get sacked, transfers get made, hiring of new managers still happens you know. Again, actually look into it before coming up with a firm opinion. The only point you had which had any relevance is the better players may leave to another league which allows rich owners to act like they do here - with impunity. Good riddance. Football was here before them, it will continue to be there after them. But they probably wouldn't leave, the Premier League is now the most successful brand in football, and having fan ownership wouldn't change that, it would improve it.

Edited by Dreams of 1995

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Speaking of Neil Yardley, was I the only one that thought his commentary last night was much better without his sidekick?

Agreed