BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Administration

23 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Speaking of Neil Yardley, was I the only one that thought his commentary last night was much better without his sidekick?

I agree it was slightly better, but I think it would improve even more he just commentated rather than push his opinion or hopes 

22 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I can second that. I lived in Wigan from the estly 90s and the town centre on a sunny day was a sea of cherry and white hoops.....very seldom you saw a football top. Whelan changed that.

To a point, although I think there have always been as many match-attending football fans than rugby fans, it's just that they were all at Old Trafford, Maine Road, Anfield, Goodison or a few (like me) at Ewood instead of at Springfield Park or the god-awful place they play at now. 

You're right that it's much closer now, all because of the investment of a wealthy Blackburn Rovers fan! 

Slightly off-topic for a Rovers forum, but moving away from Central Park to an identikit ground miles away from the town was an absolute sin.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Speaking of Neil Yardley, was I the only one that thought his commentary last night was much better without his sidekick?

Nonsense. It was an away win so we were robbed of Warren's Chinese order.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Just remember how they laughed at us. That is all I am saying.

This is further proof - if we as fans ever needed it - that the EFL are not fit to run the English game. Off shore bets, dodgy international mystery men - all sounds very very similar doesn't it? Unfortunately for Wigan they were a less sophisticated scam than ourselves but make no mistake about it Rovers suffered similar fates, and probably would have been wound up in a similar circumstance hadn't so much of a fuss been kicked up.

We had a very, very dodgy relegation under Coyle not so long back. Mass sales, no investment, a last-minute u-turn from a promotion chasing manager to a shyster. Do you not think there was sums of money in the middle / far East put on that outcome?

I think in our early days a lot of people made a lot of money out of us. I think they still do, with the signing on fees and agent involvement in almost every facet of the club.

This is further proof that fans should have a 51% stake in the club at all times. If benevolent super-rich elites really want to blow their money on the 'pride' of the towns and cities they claim to represent then they would still do so if only running on 49%, surely? The truth is that most clubs these days are loss making enterprises for a reason - no rich person ever got rich by throwing millions down the drain every single year. 

Rick Parry(now of EFL) has just given a completely toothless response to fairly soft questioning from Jim White on TalkSport.

Basically he says "the Clubs wont agree to tighten up the rules, because it will reduce the number of potential Investors"

Put simply in the Wigan situation this is first of all a "Fraud Squad/ Interpol" investigation and secondly a Government issue -the DCMS has skirted round this too many times over 20 years.

1 minute ago, mhead said:

Rick Parry(now of EFL) has just given a completely toothless response to fairly soft questioning from Jim White on TalkSport.

Basically he says "the Clubs wont agree to tighten up the rules, because it will reduce the number of potential Investors"

Put simply in the Wigan situation this is first of all a "Fraud Squad/ Interpol" investigation and secondly a Government issue -the DCMS has skirted round this too many times over 20 years.

How would the government stop something like this ?

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

How would the government stop something like this ?

By introducing more rigorous rules on Take-overs and Club Sales, including a Business Plan and a one year review.

Clubs should have a minimum standard of governance, including Board Meetings and appointment of a Non-Exec Director from Fan Base.

Agents fees; Spending in line with Income; Salary Cap proposals;rules on Key Assets.

Our Football is just as important as Tate Modern,the Royal Albert Hall, Royal Opera House etc etc

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

To a point, although I think there have always been as many match-attending football fans than rugby fans, it's just that they were all at Old Trafford, Maine Road, Anfield, Goodison or a few (like me) at Ewood instead of at Springfield Park or the god-awful place they play at now. 

You're right that it's much closer now, all because of the investment of a wealthy Blackburn Rovers fan! 

Slightly off-topic for a Rovers forum, but moving away from Central Park to an identikit ground miles away from the town was an absolute sin.

Aye, lot of scousers in Wigan.

1 hour ago, mhead said:

By introducing more rigorous rules on Take-overs and Club Sales, including a Business Plan and a one year review.

Clubs should have a minimum standard of governance, including Board Meetings and appointment of a Non-Exec Director from Fan Base.

Agents fees; Spending in line with Income; Salary Cap proposals;rules on Key Assets.

Our Football is just as important as Tate Modern,the Royal Albert Hall, Royal Opera House etc etc

"Spending in line with income" - do you ever see the comments on here which overwhelmingly consist of supporters urging the opposite - "roll the dice" etc

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Sounds like a yarkshire version of Neil Yardley.

It's Mick Morgan who was an ex-player doing the commentary.  I don't think he was too impressed with Ronnie Campbell who was refereeing.  Skerritt was a bit of an animal but in the next game between the two teams Dean Sampson of Cas broke Skerritt's jaw with a similar high " tackle ". He came off spitting blood and teeth. Sampson must have been very brave.

18 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Completely off topic but I thought it might amuse some of you . When commentary was poetry

Haha, even as a Wigan fan I find that very funny. It’s done the rounds on RL forums for years. The teams played again, three months after that game and Cas player Dean Sampson got revenge by breaking Kelvin Skerrett’s jaw. You didn’t mess with Kelvin Skerrett, he could take it as well as give it. Some tough lads in RL ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Haha, even as a Wigan fan I find that very funny. It’s done the rounds on RL forums for years. The teams played again, three months after that game and Cas player Dean Sampson got revenge by breaking Kelvin Skerrett’s jaw. You didn’t mess with Kelvin Skerrett, he could take it as well as give it. Some tough lads in RL ?

They are all tough lads in Rugby League. You wouldn't get me crossing over the white line to play Rugby League. I can't think of many footballers that would either. Maybe the likes of Kevin Moran and David Speedie, I can't think of many more.

2 hours ago, mhead said:

"Fairly soft questions from Jim White" Lol

..."Owen's a good guy...Venky's we're coming after you."

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

"Spending in line with income" - do you ever see the comments on here which overwhelmingly consist of supporters urging the opposite - "roll the dice" etc

When the owners decide they want to do that they do so regardless. Therefore perfectly understandable fans might urge the same sometimes.

You reap what you sow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I don't mind their little duo, Warren gets a bit more critical of the team at times which is needed. Even if they both have to toe the party line to some extent.

I still miss Wendy though, so who knows. I think I remember that being a bit of a controversial opinion back in the day.

Edited by Tugay-is-God

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

When the owners decide they want to do that they do so regardless. Therefore perfectly understandable fans might urge the same sometimes.

You reap what you sow.

For ourselves a rule like that would be pretty harsh and rule out a lot of owner investment in sides and players.

If you think at present  we have a £10m turnover, so to run the club properly and on a sustainable footing, we would be looking at the following:

1. Total Wages For all Employees (Players, Staff, Directors, Groundsmen, security) including Pensions, NI contributions - £5m

2. Youth Setup - £1.5m

3. Transfer Budget - £1m

4. Operating Costs, Police, Ground Maintenance - £2m

5. Contingency - £0.5m

Total - £10m

1 hour ago, phili said:

For ourselves a rule like that would be pretty harsh and rule out a lot of owner investment in sides and players.

If you think at present  we have a £10m turnover, so to run the club properly and on a sustainable footing, we would be looking at the following:

1. Total Wages For all Employees (Players, Staff, Directors, Groundsmen, security) including Pensions, NI contributions - £5m

2. Youth Setup - £1.5m

3. Transfer Budget - £1m

4. Operating Costs, Police, Ground Maintenance - £2m

5. Contingency - £0.5m

Total - £10m

Spot on.

This is why supporter ownership models don't work.

• Moderation Lead
46 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Spot on.

This is why supporter ownership models don't work.

Apart from in Germany, where they work for every team....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's Mick Morgan who was an ex-player doing the commentary.  I don't think he was too impressed with Ronnie Campbell who was refereeing.  Skerritt was a bit of an animal but in the next game between the two teams Dean Sampson of Cas broke Skerritt's jaw with a similar high " tackle ". He came off spitting blood and teeth. Sampson must have been very brave.

I was joking of course. Neil is far more partisan!!

But in fairness, I found myself wondering if it was just some regular punter shouting from the side lines: “dick ‘ed” :lol: They don’t train ‘em like they used to!

• Moderation Lead
26 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

With only one club ever winning the title - so boring nobody outside Germany is interested in their football.

5 different champions in the last 20 years says otherwise....

Bayern’s dominance is nothing to do with fan ownership, German football has always had a version of fan management.

Bayern are dominating this past few years because of CL money and the globalisation of the game promoting big brands  - like Juventus and Real Madrid/Barca

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Bayern’s dominance is nothing to do with fan ownership, German football has always had a version of fan management.

Bayern are dominating this past few years because of CL money and the globalisation of the game promoting big brands  - like Juventus and Real Madrid/Barca

Which supporter owned clubs cannot challenge.

• Like 1