BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Administration

8 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

And the premier League is interesting? Watching a bunch of clubs owned by money launderers, slave owners and crooks from god knows where jizzing away billions for players from across the world whilst the only people able to afford a decent ticket is some South Korean tourist with cash to burn and a desire to do something novel on their holiday. Was it ever really exciting when Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea were winning almost every FA cup and Premier League going for about 15 years whilst Jeff Stelling and co. we're having a big circle jerk about Abrahmovich and the UAE guys who had just bought Man City from a dodgy Thai bloke?

There is no point in watching Premier League football as a neutral as it's just as fake, alien and ruthlessly commercial as WWE or the NFL. Chelsea or Liverpool could play games in Sydney or Lagos and it would be no different. Sure the few fans from London and Liverpool will be angry, and they will miss out but outside those people no-one would care. They don't count, and the TV hype machine would describe the match as historic, as a great opportunity like the NFL games in London.

The clubs are now brands, nothing more, steadily cutting the roots and their heritage from their identities as they chase money from any kid who wants to look cool and back a winner. 

Hats off to you my friend.

I used to deal with a sales representative who was a huge Man United fan. He had been going for years to league games, European games and stuck with them when they got relegated. I hadn't seen him for a while but in our next meeting the topic turned to football and I asked him about United. He said he had stopped going and only had a casual interest in them now. I was stunned and asked him why. His words stuck with me. He simply said "I love Man United but hate what it's become".

That summed it up.

• Like 3

The 50%+1 model is probably not perfect and has drawbacks, but some sort of link to the city and the fan base is needed. Otherwise you may as well be honest and change all the names and have a franchise system like US sport. Man Utd can become the Manchester Red Devils, until an unscrupulous and grandstanding local mayor bungs them a massive wedge of cash towards a new stadium and they become the Hartlepool Red Devils.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2020 at 20:00, 1864roverite said:

Wigan have no money in their accounts and no income. They don’t even have money to transport the team to away venues and will be relying on players to help them out. They don’t have money to pay wages and it is the ground staff who will be the only ones paid due to the rugby side of things which is in slightly better shape than the football side. Their biggest worry is that the Rugby side collapses as well which will cause serious issues for both clubs. Wigan RL were looking to relocate next season away from DW and now my neighbours think they have to move to survive. Dave Whelan on the fence about finance according to Wigan news

Rugby side moving ? Where too and why? 

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Hats off to you my friend.

I used to deal with a sales representative who was a huge Man United fan. He had been going for years to league games, European games and stuck with them when they got relegated. I hadn't seen him for a while but in our next meeting the topic turned to football and I asked him about United. He said he had stopped going and only had a casual interest in them now. I was stunned and asked him why. His words stuck with me. He simply said "I love Man United but hate what it's become".

That summed it up.

I've got a pal who was equally red eyed. He's involved with FC United now for the same reasons.

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've got a pal who was equally red eyed. He's involved with FC United now for the same reasons.

Similarly have a couple of pals who were season ticket holders at man u but now watch Chorley

2 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

And the premier League is interesting? Watching a bunch of clubs owned by money launderers, slave owners and crooks from god knows where jizzing away billions for players from across the world whilst the only people able to afford a decent ticket is some South Korean tourist with cash to burn and a desire to do something novel on their holiday. Was it ever really exciting when Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea were winning almost every FA cup and Premier League going for about 15 years whilst Jeff Stelling and co. we're having a big circle jerk about Abrahmovich and the UAE guys who had just bought Man City from a dodgy Thai bloke?

There is no point in watching Premier League football as a neutral as it's just as fake, alien and ruthlessly commercial as WWE or the NFL. Chelsea or Liverpool could play games in Sydney or Lagos and it would be no different. Sure the few fans from London and Liverpool will be angry, and they will miss out but outside those people no-one would care. They don't count, and the TV hype machine would describe the match as historic, as a great opportunity like the NFL games in London.

The clubs are now brands, nothing more, steadily cutting the roots and their heritage from their identities as they chase money from any kid who wants to look cool and back a winner

Brilliant post and the bottom line is perfectly put.

Take a look at stadium expansions that happen in England, or new build stadiums. Almost always there is a disproportionate amount of seating allocated to "hospitality" than there is standard admission. Take a look at the bloody Europa Leage final last season! My tin foil hat may well and truly be on but this is a conspiracy against the working-class fan.

Working class people are being priced out, we are being literally pushed out of Premier League clubs especially with spacing and to top it off they are even talking about the potential of moving us out with, maybe, games happening abroad to allow our 'global audience' chance to see it. 

And whilst all of that is going on we are supposed to accept and be grateful for the huge sums of money these distant, and often shady, owners are putting in and keeping "the sport going". Bullshit. It was here before them and it will be here after them. I'm not in the slightest bit grateful to any of these rich benefactors for what they have done to my sport.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

The clubs are now brands, nothing more, steadily cutting the roots and their heritage from their identities as they chase money from any kid who wants to look cool and back a winner. 

Bang on 

• Like 1

On 01/07/2020 at 20:00, 1864roverite said:

Their biggest worry is that the Rugby side collapses as well which will cause serious issues for both clubs. Wigan RL were looking to relocate next season away from DW and now my neighbours think they have to move to survive. 

As far as I am aware, the Warriors’ finances are in reasonable shape and with Ian Lenagan as chairman, they will continue to be. There is no danger at all of the rugby club collapsing.

Regarding the Warriors relocating, this is the first I have heard of it. Over the last two or three years, Warriors have moved their offices and administrative setup to the Robin Park Arena, which is next door to the DW and which we lease off the local council. It’s a multi functional facility with an athletics running track and pitch for rugby training. There have been hopeful rumours of Ian Lenagan funding the development of Robin Park to become our own rugby stadium but this, I think, is wishful thinking more than anything. It would take millions to do it and doesn’t really make sense with the football/rugby sharing the DW.

Let me know, 1864, if there is anything more to it than that, as I would love to know! The guys I sit with at the DW may well know but I obviously haven’t been able to see them because of the virus.

On 08/07/2020 at 13:47, Admiral Nelsen said:

Slightly off-topic for a Rovers forum, but moving away from Central Park to an identikit ground miles away from the town was an absolute sin.

The DW is one mile away from Wigan Wallgate and marginally nearer the town centre than Ewood Park is to Blackburn town centre.

I think the DW was modelled slightly on Ewood. There is a lot of brickwork and the stands feel solid, unlike many of the new soulless bowls such as at Leicester, Stoke and Southampton etc. Because of the stupidity of the Taylor Report, the DW had to be built as an all seater. Were it not for that, it could have been modelled on a design like St Helens’ stadium, which is spot on. Seating down the sides and terracing for standing behind the sticks. Everyone happy and great for atmosphere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Rugby side moving ? Where too and why? 

The rumours were that the rugby were moving their side over to Orrell due to the issues with the pitch and the separate administration of both clubs as they are owned by different entities.

18 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

As far as I am aware, the Warriors’ finances are in reasonable shape and with Ian Lenagan as chairman, they will continue to be. There is no danger at all of the rugby club collapsing.

Regarding the Warriors relocating, this is the first I have heard of it. Over the last two or three years, Warriors have moved their offices and administrative setup to the Robin Park Arena, which is next door to the DW and which we lease off the local council. It’s a multi functional facility with an athletics running track and pitch for rugby training. There have been hopeful rumours of Ian Lenagan funding the development of Robin Park to become our own rugby stadium but this, I think, is wishful thinking more than anything. It would take millions to do it and doesn’t really make sense with the football/rugby sharing the DW.

Let me know, 1864, if there is anything more to it than that, as I would love to know! The guys I sit with at the DW may well know but I obviously haven’t been able to see them because of the virus.

I go to Wigan rugby a few times a year. The talk was they were hoping to move to Orrell and take over their ground not build a new one. The administration of both teams are different and the football side didn’t want the rugby side on or in their ground. That’s about the tall and short of it. The last time out after the local derby with saints this was all the talk around the hindley pubs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Best post i have read in months

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

The DW is one mile away from Wigan Wallgate and marginally nearer the town centre than Ewood Park is to Blackburn town centre.

I think the DW was modelled slightly on Ewood. There is a lot of brickwork and the stands feel solid, unlike many of the new soulless bowls such as at Leicester, Stoke and Southampton etc. Because of the stupidity of the Taylor Report, the DW had to be built as an all seater. Were it not for that, it could have been modelled on a design like St Helens’ stadium, which is spot on. Seating down the sides and terracing for standing behind the sticks. Everyone happy and great for atmosphere.

To be fair, miles out of town is exaggerating. You're right that it's not that bad to get to from the trains, but moving it to a retail park was a retrograde step for me. There's just something a bit more soulless about having a ground in between a gym and a cinema when the alternative was a stadium with a century's worth of history, right in the community and surrounded by heaving pubs on match day.

Time plays tricks, but I believe there were plans drawn up to do up Central Park and turn it into something more befitting a modern stadium, before the land was eventually sold to Tesco. Not sure if that would have been viable if the football team would've shared the ground, but I find it really hard not to look at that decision without thinking what it could've been like. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Time plays tricks, but I believe there were plans drawn up to do up Central Park and turn it into something more befitting a modern stadium, before the land was eventually sold to Tesco.

That’s interesting and would have been preferable to moving to the DW because of proximity to the town centre, railway stations, bus station and more importantly, pubs.

I did see just the one game at Central Park but the end of that era was just before I started to watch the Warriors regularly. I think the club were so much in debt that they simply had to sell to Tesco to avoid going under.

• Like 1

I think Dave Whelan's original plan after taking over Wigan Athletic was to buy Central Park from the Rugby club and refurbish/rebuild it into a modern ground for both football and rugby. He entered into discussions with the rugby club owner but in the end he accepted a higher offer from Tesco, so Whelan went off and built the JJB on spare land instead.

When you are outside the main stand at Wigan that is obviously modelled on the Jack Walker stand with the glass and brick. As are the Centennial stand at Anfield and Park end at Goodison which were both built in the 90s. 

The rest of the DW/JJB is basic and functional. Better than many new grounds as it has 4 separate single tiered stands which are quite steep and close together which helps the atmosphere. Also still reasonably located in reach of the town centre rather than miles away.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

That’s interesting and would have been preferable to moving to the DW because of proximity to the town centre, railway stations, bus station and more importantly, pubs.

I did see just the one game at Central Park but the end of that era was just before I started to watch the Warriors regularly. I think the club were so much in debt that they simply had to sell to Tesco to avoid going under.

I don't know wether this true but a Wiganer I worked with swore it was. At the old Central Park the players came out of the stand behind the sticks through a tunnel. When they re developed that stand the builders forgot to replace the tunnel. Nobody had realised whilst it was being built that there was no way for the players to get onto the pitch.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2020 at 12:48, oldjamfan1 said:

Paul Cook reckons this has been the worst, toughest week of his career by far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53339102

You know things are bad when it is worse than Easter Sunday 2001.

"Cooke has cut a dignified figure.." lol

Edited by Leonard Venkhater