BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Administration

6 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Apparently their claim is based on "force majeure" - broadly some set of events so extraordinary that no-one could have anticipated. Problem is Covid 19 has not brought anybody else down.

If that claim is successful then just about every other club with financial issues this summer would have the green light to go into admin, clear their debts and not be punished. It would actually be daft not to go into administration.

It would open the floodgates to carnage in the divisions. Can't be allowed.

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

But surely if they win an appeal. Then the teams relegated could also appeal against the outcome of the original appeal

Don't think so - quite simply, without the points deduction (which would be deemed unfair if the appeal is successful) they would have been relegated anyhow.

Just now, JHRover said:

If that claim is successful then just about every other club with financial issues this summer would have the green light to go into admin, clear their debts and not be punished. It would actually be daft not to go into administration.

Exactly.

Just now, JHRover said:

Not really.

All this seems down to the new owner who, arguably, should not have completed the acquisition.  This is not the fault of Wigan FC.

I think it's 75/25 in favour of Wigan being successful in any appeal. 

46 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Not really.

All this seems down to the new owner who, arguably, should not have completed the acquisition.  This is not the fault of Wigan FC.

Thats irrelevant,  if this deduction doesn't get applied holy hell will break loose going forward 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

For all the 'he's a great bloke' stuff he's actually used clubs to his own advantage with regularity and shown very little loyalty. I suppose some call it ambition and knowing when the time is right but if you look at his decisions - walked out on Stanley, walked out on Chesterfield, walked out on Portsmouth - I'd be amazed if he wasn't testing the water to see if he can jump to a richer Championship club. He doesn't strike me as the sort who will want relegation on his CV nor want a rebuild in League One. He will want to enhance his reputation.

Ken Furphy, Jim Smith, Gordon Lee, Howard Kendall, None of those hung around at Ewood once they'd gained a good reputation. It's a job just like any other job to most managers. Not many sportsmen have a loyalty to the team they play for once they get a family and a mortage. 

I live around the corner from a one time Great Britain rugby league international. I was watching replays of old Challenge Cup Finals and in one I saw he'd won the Lance Todd trophy, that's for the man of the match in the Wembley final.

The next time I saw him walking his dog I said " I didn't know you'd won the Lance Todd trophy, what is it you got ? "

I've never seen the trophy and I was meaning is it a cup or a shield or a statuette ?

He replied " Well in my day it was £150."

If Wigan get relegated Cook will be able to say but for the deduction I'd have had them mid table. He might be a cnut but he's far from being on his own in football, it's full of them.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Right, so what grounds have Wigan got to appeal then?

Maybe they think the EFL have changed so many rules this season one more won’t matter?!

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

If they win at appeal they open the door for a new tactic for all!

Exactly. It’s a formality.

A local away day with Barnsley friends for me at Oakwell, strengthen the standing of the rugby league side of a rugby league town, during the sport’s darkest hour; and a big fuck you to that pathetic Paul Cunt and all of his tinpot “fans” that cheered Dacky’s career threatening injury whilst trying to build up some kind of pathetic rivalry that none of us gives a flying crap about.

As you can tell, I’m pretty gutted for them.

I’ll extend more than the sympathy that they did for us when we were relegated against them under Kean and our own ownership nightmare, by just simply saying - 

I couldn’t give a shiny shite. 

See you around.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Mercer said:

Not really.

Not too sure I agree Mercer. The Purchase ofWigan was done correctly and they passed the tests for ownership! It was only later the new owner decided not to fund the club and pulled the plug. I am not too sure this is sufficient to avoid the points penalty. At best the odds are 50-50; even the most ardent of pie eaters have accepted they are down, the team will be raped and pillaged for less than market value due to the need for cash. Also, if they can’t satisfy creditors then just like little old wanderers they face a further 15 point deficit next season!

11 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Not too sure I agree Mercer. The Purchase ofWigan was done correctly and they passed the tests for ownership! It was only later the new owner decided not to fund the club and pulled the plug. I am not too sure this is sufficient to avoid the points penalty. At best the odds are 50-50; even the most ardent of pie eaters have accepted they are down, the team will be raped and pillaged for less than market value due to the need for cash. Also, if they can’t satisfy creditors then just like little old wanderers they face a further 15 point deficit next season!

It's disgraceful that this can happen to a football club. Do the football authorities accept no responsibility at all for this situation ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

The preferred bidder has pulled out 

Was dependant on staying up and they slashed the wages to a more suitable level which leads me to think he was probably a skint tyre kicker from the very start.

Krasner reckons another 4 bidders but if he was the best or preferred one it don’t look too good.

The 12 point administration rule was brought in to stop teams overspending beyond their means and then just clearing the debts with administration.

I don't know the ins and outs but not sure that's what has happened in this case.

Just now, Hasta said:

The 12 point administration rule was brought in to stop teams overspending beyond their means and then just clearing the debts with administration.

I don't know the ins and outs but not sure that's what has happened in this case.

Could Wigan pay off their debts? If not then they have overspent. The reason why they cannot repay is irrelevant 

• Like 2