I’ve no genuine sympathy for them on account of how their fans have been with us in the past, but they’ve every right to feel aggrieved with their deduction applying this season and Sheffield Wednesday’s being applied next....

Posted (edited)

From an article online in the Sun website 

The administrators have also been frustrated by two more preferred bidders failing to sign up in the last few days.

The asking price of the club is dropping and that may bring Wigan Warriors RL chief Ian Lenagan back into play.

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Nixon says they lost and are relegated 

Looks like my scoop beat every hack going😂😂

7 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Looks like my scoop beat every hack going😂😂

Is that a poop scoop

Whilst I will say I wanted them relegated due to the way some of their fans acted it’s now looking bleak for Wigan 

Down to 12 players currently, they need an owner in quickly 

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

Whilst I will say I wanted them relegated due to the way some of their fans acted it’s now looking bleak for Wigan 

The asking price for the club must be surely reducing after his assets is sold. They need a new manager plus loads of players. 

Must be really possibility they not starting the season. 

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Article in their local rag makes it sound as if 12 will end up being the high point. Echoes of Bolton...

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-back-training-who-will-stay-and-go-2939624

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2020/august/Update-Statement-from-the-Joint-Administrators/

I would be worried reading this if I was a Wigan fan.

Effectively 4 interested parties, but only just over 2 weeks to sign up and buy otherwise they won't be able to start the season.

Not much time. I'd still expect someone to step in at the last minute but doesn't need much to go wrong.

I wonder how Dave Whelan is feeling about all this. After all he was the one who invested in a little non-league club existing in the heavy shade of a gigantic Rugby League club.

Whelan must be stuck between a rock and a hard place. No doubt tough watching them face oblivion and he has the means to bail them out.

But he's also in his 80s, a businessman who took years to offload them in the first place. Is he really daft enough to plough his families inheritance into keeping a League One club afloat? 

Quite possibly, my point was more they could start the season with a squad akin to the one Bolton were repeatedly getting smashed 5-0 with this time last year... though I suppose Wigan will be just happy to KO the season at this stage....

Edited by Mattyblue

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2020/august/Update-Statement-from-the-Joint-Administrators/

Effectively 4 interested parties, but only just over 2 weeks to sign up and buy otherwise they won't be able to start the season.

Not much time. I'd still expect someone to step in at the last minute but doesn't need much to go wrong.

What happens if they don't start the season? Out of the football league and starting life again in non league?

Just now, davulsukur said:

What happens if they don't start the season? Out of the football league and starting life again in non league?

Another Bury. I think the Football League will demand guarantees from them before allowing them to kick off the season. If they can't they'll boot them out and they'll either disappear or apply to join non league.

Doubt it will happen to Wigan or Charlton though. Too high profile.

Just now, JHRover said:

Another Bury. I think the Football League will demand guarantees from them before allowing them to kick off the season. If they can't they'll boot them out and they'll either disappear or apply to join non league.

Doubt it will happen to Wigan or Charlton though. Too high profile.

Its mad. Wigan in non league would be crazy.

I've not quite grasped Bolton in league 2 yet.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Not much of playing squad left there, so any new owner will need to invest in the squad and bring in a new manager. 

I thought Wigan entered exclusive deal with one interested party

20 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Its mad. Wigan in non league would be crazy.

I've not quite grasped Bolton in league 2 yet.

I remember when it was crazy to think of Wigan as a league club.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread I still haven’t forgiven Wigan for “pinching” Southport’s league position in 1978, the last team to leave the Football League by the re-election process.

What is happening to Wigan, nearly happened to Bolton and happened to Bury is exactly why we need to keep the Rovers Trust going.

The big fear is of course elimination from the EFL but the bigger fear is not even being able to start again in non-league.

Thanks again Venkys.