BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Administration

21 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

Force majeure won’t work at all. I’ve had to deal with a few claims for this in contracts over the last two months along with extension of times etc and it’s quite clearly an opaque term. Usually we’d schedule out what would constitute a FM event like terror attack, tornado weather, etc. Very few will have Illness. 

Technically Covid isn’t an act of god either, The arbitration panels have ruled Covid isn’t FM but it’s down to the way a contract is specifically interpreted. 

https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/guides/covid-19-force-majeure-clause

We have had a different approach in the Midlands area, from my experience. Most of the Main Contractors sent recommencing of work letters which basically said by accepting this instruction you forego any right to claim a loss / expense as a result of Covid 19 etc etc. They were quite spiky and vague, giving off the impression it was open to interpretation as to what a claim relating to Covid-19 could be (ie: temporary work required for ped walkways, cabin set ups etc). 

We only ran into problems when we sent it back saying it worked both ways and if my subbie ran over the allocated programme time we can't be expected to be hit with charges as a result. For some reason (?) us telling Main Contractor they couldn't claim from us in the future was met with a bit of resistance.

But yeah, from a contractual p.o.v, everyones first port of call seemed to be the force majeure clause, but that has been either been accepted or rejected on a job by job basis or. On the large though businesses seem to be quite flexible and are not looking at shafting each other. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Think it was the same sort of story as Eddie Davies at Bolton. Getting on in life, glory days behind him, looking to a future beyond death where his family would need to be provided for and probably they weren't interested in bankrolling Wigan forever. Probably also know that the costs of funding football clubs getting very high even for people like Whelan and Davies who aren't billionaires.

Can't imagine he really wants to get involved with it all again at his age. Suspect he might bail them out if they need it but won't want to own and fund them moving forward 

Yes i can see all that playing a part but given what he said about the Rovers takeover ( he was right ).  Then how he said he'd never put Wigan in a similar situation something must've given in the end. Either that or he or more to the point whoever he left in charge have been right royally turned over. 

At the heart of it though as usual is the farcical EFL and their show us the money Fit & Proper tick box.

• Backroom

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/nov/10/blackburn-venkys-dave-whelan-wigan

Those who don't learn from history...

"I understand, because I do not want my own family to be responsible for Wigan Athletic after me, but I will look to pass the club on for £50 to the right person, as Jack Hayward did when he gave Wolves to Steve Morgan.

"The Blackburn deal doesn't sound right, and it doesn't look right," said Whelan, who discussed the takeover with the Rovers directors on Saturday, when the clubs met at Ewood Park. "It is an absolute shame. The trustees want the club to be safe but it doesn't seem to be safe."

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

I suspect Dave Whelan came under intense pressure from his Family to bail out of Wigan to protect what was left of their inheritance.

After the sale his Son his certainly was happy to be shut of it.

I hope Dave isn't persuaded back in after this mugging and lesson on how to run a Chinese Laundry.

What a corrupt shambles our Football 'authorities' are. Hateful self-interested no goods.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Wow, even if half of that is true, that is rotten. Until the likes of the FA, EFL and so on are targeted with either legal proceedings, legislation stripping them of authority or even some massive case of hacking this will continue. The people who let this happen need to lose their jobs, money and homes as they are part of the gravy train.

4 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Wow, even if half of that is true, that is rotten. Until the likes of the FA, EFL and so on are targeted with either legal proceedings, legislation stripping them of authority or even some massive case of hacking this will continue. The people who let this happen need to lose their jobs, money and homes as they are part of the gravy train.

I doubt the Philippines bet, better odds in India

26 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

This is nonsense. How do people running soccer be expected to look in to the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I suspect Dave Whelan came under intense pressure from his Family to bail out of Wigan to protect what was left of their inheritance.

What was "left" of inheritance must be substantial. Should be grateful for that. Whelan's family probably wouldn't exert sole corrupt influence over a trust fund though. You would really have to be the lowest from of grasping scum to do that.

Considering Whelan made the disgusting comment that Jack had "saddled his family" with Rovers presumably he does not want to "saddle" his own.

Edited by Vinjay

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Aren't the administrators going to investigate why the club were put into admin so quickly after a change of ownership

Have a read of the thread below the tweet I posted. It goes into detail that I suspect The Guardian cannot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Have a read of the thread below the tweet I posted. It goes into detail that I suspect The Guardian cannot.

Yes and I hope the person who posted on twitter hasn't done anything illegal and will get himself in bother firstly

I watched that video yesterday and wasn't surprise. 

Need investigating but doubt they will get far with the people based in the Far East

Edited by chaddyrovers

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes and I hope the person who posted on twitter hasn't done anything illegal and will get himself in bother firstly

I watched that video yesterday and wasn't surprise. 

Need investigating but doubt they will get far with the people based in the Far East

Quite interesting that Rovers have been relegated twice. Once because of a guy on the inside and once because of a decision by another team to make 10 player changes. Food for thought.

And every manager is a cloak and dagger off shore 35-1 shot appointment.

After a host of other names have allegedly been in the frame.

The they go for there is no need whatsoever for the secrecy. Other than maybe keeping the odds long .....

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Quite interesting that Rovers have been relegated twice. Once because of a guy on the inside and once because of a decision by another team to make 10 player changes. Food for thought.

The first relegation was very very iffy the spurs game away comes to mind the 2nd the coyle appointment and Mowbrays negativity not blaming another club for resting players

Sounds like there's a chance that the Hong Kong bloke who recently passed the EFL fit and proper test to take over Wigan might not even exist!

Would really hammer home just what a disgrace the EFL are if they have allowed a takeover by a fictitious person. 

• Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

Sounds like there's a chance that the Hong Kong bloke who recently passed the EFL fit and proper test to take over Wigan might not even exist!

Would really hammer home just what a disgrace the EFL are if they have allowed a takeover by a fictitious person. 

Well at least it wasn't something with mega wealth and a lot of ambition. ?

• Like 1

• Backroom

Some very dark stuff clearly going on here. For Wigan's current "owners", whoever they may be, to put the club into admin and bring all of this inevitable attention to the situation is telling. If the alleged bet on Wigan's relegation is legitimate then I imagine there are severe consequences involved for certain people should Wigan avoid relegation.

• Moderation Lead

It’s difficult for me- my mum is from Wigan and their fans are gigantic whoppers that revelled in Dack’s injury and celebrated our downfall...

In spite of the above, I don’t like to see the fans of any club suffer, never mind a north west club. Particularly not in the alleged circumstances. 
Feck the EFL.

10 hours ago, Stuart said:

A bet on relegation... hmmm ? 

Back in the day, I posted something not dissimilar about people surrounding Rovers and our relegation from the Premier League.

Brentford v Wigan - what a game today. The skills and abilities of management and players of both in a raw test. 

Edited by philipl

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Aren't the administrators going to investigate why the club were put into admin so quickly after a change of ownership

They will not - who's paying for it?

Their first task will be to ensure that there is enough money to pay their own exorbitant fees

• Like 5

What this whole sorry episode needs is not some wishy washy investigation by the toothless football authorities but a criminal investigation by the fraud squad and expose the whole 'fit and proper' sham and illegal operations for what it really is. Football really needs a new brush to sweep away the ineptitude and corruption that runs through it likes stick of rock. Unfortunately the likes of Wigan (and even ultimately us) could be collateral damage in the process.

• Like 8