BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Leeds at Home 4.7.20

Just now, cesus said:

It's all too nice for me, nobody falling out when things go wrong, no big bust ups. I very much see the running of the club from top to bottom as we will just keep riding this out for as long as we can and for as long as those idiots in India keep paying. It reminds me very much of the Sunderland documentary that no matter what happens on the pitch, in the transfer market, in the boardroom, it doesn't matter one jot as we will send a bill to India that gets paid (I'm not convinced it particularly gets paid more saddled with debt!) and they can all still enjoy the gravy train.

Nobody involved with Blackburn Rover's current set up feel ANY ill effect of what happens. Mowbray should really be looking down the barrel for the signings of Gallagher and Brereton before we even start on any list of playing deficiencies. Waggott should be looking down the barrel for the drop in season ticket holders and attendances, and general crowd unrest. These two people who are at the very top of the tree at Ewood are so comfortable, they don't have to worry what happens on or off the pitch and that really worries me.

Spot on cesus.

6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Truth be told, I think there's only Coyle who's managed to get a tune out of Gallagher in his misfiring career. 

i think in Gallaghers defence he's one of the players whose been Mowbrayed, played out of position to much so he doesn't score wrecks his confidence then when  like today he gets a chance he's got zero conviction and confidence to take it on. As for Brereton i just don't think he's very good he seems to be unable to do even the simplest of things like head a ball he's another one whose confidence is shot to bits

Edited by PeteJD13
  • Like 3

Just now, PeteJD13 said:

i think in Gallaghers defence he's one of the players whose been Mowbrayed, played out of position to much so he doesn't score wrecks his confidence then when  like today he gets a chance he's got zero conviction and confidence to take it on. As for Brereton i just don't think he's very good he seems to be unable to do even the simplest of things like head a ball he's another one whose confidence is shot to bits

Gallagher was bobbins at Birmingham last season too, he's just not up to standard, with or without Mowbray. Playing out of position can't have helped, I grant you.

BB  is one of the worst players ever to play in a Rovers Shirt ,hes had enough games now to show what he has or hasn’t in his case .... terrible awkward running style and no control just looks thick and lost... The manager is to blame as he sees something others don’t 

SG is Bang Average played in his Favoured position but absolutely atrocious out wide right 

Johnson is here for a last payday and Too slow for a top 6 team 

Walton is just a big lamp post ... 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Boroblue said:

Yet he plays Bennett in false positions he gets stick, Gallagher and Brereton not their natural positions. Holtby needed to learn the style how much experience does he have and he looks garbage.

Here is the problem in a nutshell.  Your paragraph mentions 4 players , none are ever going to play in the premier league,  they aren't good enough for the championship on a regular basis.   Thats 40% of your outfield below the required standard,  add to that over age downing, Johnson,  60%......only 30% of our outfield players are good enough on any given day.  Yes, it all comes together every now amd then against a shit team who just sacked their gaffer, but on the whole, this musn't carry on.

After years in charge.....Mowbray Go!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, unleaded said:

BB  is one of the worst players ever to play in a Rovers Shirt ,hes had enough games now to show what he has or hasn’t in his case .... terrible awkward running style and no control just looks thick and lost... The manager is to blame as he sees something others don’t 

SG is Bang Average played in his Favoured position but absolutely atrocious out wide right 

So true.

Think BB and SG make the much maligned John O'Mara (going back to the early 1970's) look like another Shearer!  At least 'BIg John' averaged a goal every three games for Rovers if my memory is correct.

22 minutes ago, unleaded said:

A lamp post with the electricity disconnected. Agree with your other comments.

BB and SG are in the wrong game, neither are footballers, Maybe more suited to Netball

Edited by AllRoverAsia

1 hour ago, cesus said:

It's all too nice for me, nobody falling out when things go wrong, no big bust ups. I very much see the running of the club from top to bottom as we will just keep riding this out for as long as we can and for as long as those idiots in India keep paying. It reminds me very much of the Sunderland documentary that no matter what happens on the pitch, in the transfer market, in the boardroom, it doesn't matter one jot as we will send a bill to India that gets paid (I'm not convinced it particularly gets paid more saddled with debt!) and they can all still enjoy the gravy train.

Nobody involved with Blackburn Rover's current set up feel ANY ill effect of what happens. Mowbray should really be looking down the barrel for the signings of Gallagher and Brereton before we even start on any list of playing deficiencies. Waggott should be looking down the barrel for the drop in season ticket holders and attendances, and general crowd unrest. These two people who are at the very top of the tree at Ewood are so comfortable, they don't have to worry what happens on or off the pitch and that really worries me.

The setup is designed to fail

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

At a guess, he‘s the right type of character in the dressing room.

I’m starting to think the ‘right type of character’ is one who hears the team sheet and cheers, even if it means they are playing in a position they’ve never even played in junior football.

Tony likes YesMen

I haven't seen the game but it says that Leeds has 60% possession. That suggests being technically outclassed. Leeds and WBA are technically superior to most from what I've seen of them. I'm sure I recall Rowett admitting as such when Millwall lost to both of them. People can accept honesty whereas consensus here seems to be Mowbray is talking rubbish. Rovers and Fulham had a technical gulf over rest of the division back in 2000/01.

Edited by Vinjay

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

So true.

Think BB and SG make the much maligned John O'Mara (going back to the early 1970's) look like another Shearer!  At least 'BIg John' averaged a goal every three games for Rovers if my memory is correct.

I think that would be a dream front 3:

Gallagher  O'Mara   Brereton

Plenty of laughs at least ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gav said:

I hear Leeds brought a few over today, loads of police outside the pubs on the barbary coast.

Blackburn isn't blessed with boozers these days, but you wouldn't want to spend an afternoon in those establishments, Covid19 would be the least of your worries. 

Is this true Gav ? 

Just now, Waggy76 said:

A bit harsh on Roberts but \Paul Mckinnon would be theere or thereabouts ..

With all the names of dubious strikers we have had, I think the fact we had solid defenders most of the time, shows the foundations for reasonable success.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cesus said:

Good post and that attitude permeates throughout the team. You know a winning team when you see one, they actually rush with their frees to try and win games. So often we stand around, tap to someone else, let them take it maybe, ah no back to you again. 3 minutes pass. Bunch of losers to be honest. 

12 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

And it's not just the defeats, it's the abject, shitshow manner of them.

I know it's disappointing and frustrating to lose three quick games on the bounce, but I do think that some of the reaction has been a bit OTT. Personally I think that we've been more unlucky than abject

The game at Wigan - wasn't a great performance by any stretch and tbh it didn't ever look like we were going to do enough to win, but at the same time, until Walton dropped a ricket, it didn't ever look to be a game that we were in danger of losing either.

The game at Barnsley - the result doesn't look great, but first half we had over 70% possession, were in complete control of the game and had two or three fairly clear cut chances to score. Had we taken one of those then I think we would have gone on to win fairly comfortably.
Having gone behind, Mowbray tried to change things up and within 7 minutes we had Brereton sent off - and whilst I can see why it was given as a red, it was a fairly soft one and 8 or 9 times out 10 that is a yellow at most - and the sending off then affects our ability to get back into the game, especially as it comes so soon after making 4 subs and changing the formation.

The game yesterday - lots of teams will lose to Leeds, and tbh I can't imagine many of us saw us getting 3 points here, but that said we did ok - especially in the first half. Again we created 2 or 3 clear cut chances, plus had a goal ruled out for less contact on their defender than there was on Travis for their first. Had we managed to get back to 1-1 or even to get our noses in front then the second half may have been a different game.

Like I say it's disappointing/annoying to have lost all 3 games, but I think we were unlucky to lose at least 2 of those and there's a danger of letting the results colour our view of the performances.

And on Mowbray generally - obviously he's made some mistakes. The signings of Gallagher and Brereton look worse by the week, and Walton - there's glimpses of a player in there - he had a decent spell of games from mid-Jan to the start of the lockdown, but his form at the beginning of the season and especially since the restart has been atrocious - so that has to be another black mark against the manager.
However, when you consider the run of injuries we've had this season, I think he's done a decent enough job to have us up with a chance of the playoffs for so long. For instance, against Barnsley we were missing 4 left backs, our main centre-half, 2 centre-mids, and our best/most creative/most prolific player - and like I said we still dominated the game, in the first half at least.
(To put that into perspective, if you took Liverpool - arguably the best team in the world atm - and this afternoon against Villa took away Robertson, Milner + the next two in line for LB, Van Dijk, Henderson & Fabinho plus one of either Mane or Salah - I would probably back them still to win, but it would be much more in the balance than with those players - many on here don't seem to be able accept that missing so many means that it's more likely that we will struggle against teams like Barnsley.)

And, I know that's just one game, but we've been missing Cunningham, Evans and Dack for a large chunk of the season. Dack in particular, at the time when he got injured, was such a blow. Our team was built around him, almost everything went through him and he got injured just at the start of a run of games in quick succession, which didn't give us chance to adjust properly and meant we had a poor run in those games around Christmas. When we finally did have time to adjust properly we got back to playing well and went on a good run, which got us within touching distance of the playoffs.
And again, for those who don't see the importance of losing just 1 or 2 key men from your team, I have a City supporting mate who is adamant that the reason the gap between them and Liverpool is so big this season is down to Laporte being injured for much of the season. If a team that has spent half a Billion £s on players can be so affected by the loss of just one player, then surely we can accept that losing our best player might just affect Rovers a little bit.

I realise that I'm shouting into the void somewhat on here - as many of you made up your minds on Mowbray a long time ago. But for me, I can see progression each season and so I think that he has earned next season to see if we can make a serious, sustained push for the playoffs. If not, then I may well come round to the group mentality on here and call for him to be replaced.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KS Cracovia said:

Is this true Gav ? 

Nothing to do with Leeds. Just speaking to a mate of mine who went for a few in town yesterday afternoon and it was just local idiots causing trouble.

1 hour ago, renrag said:

One of the most telling stats yesterday was 2 crosses in 90 minutes, none of them successful. Then you watch the nostalgia threads and see the supply coming from Sellars, Brotherston, Ripley and Wilcox etc. What a contrast!

You look at the highlights of most of the goals outside the very top level and see where the goals come from. Balls played into the penalty area from the flanks. Those who've played the game will know why that is so I'm not going to repeat myself over again. What we have is blokes who 1) can't cross a decent ball in the first place 2) are playing on their " wrong " wing were their natural instinct is to come inside the full back instead of getting around the back. You're a right footed player playing on the left wing, you come inside and normally you will attempt the cross with your right foot. The ball will curl towards the goal and the goalkeeper most of the time. That's not a good ball for strikers either as it's moving away from them also.

When I played full back the sole objective was to get the winger to come inside, that's what you worked on. Do not let him beat you on the outside. That was the golden rule.

Lets say you get a left footed left winger, like Scott Sellars or Jason Wilcox for instance. He beats the full back on the outside, he sprints towards the bye line and at the right moment he crosses the ball with his left foot. Initially the path of the ball will be towards a point where the goalkeeper thinks he's got a chance of dealing with it, so tentatively he begins to move out of his goal. Then the natural bend on the ball will start to move away from him out towards the spot that your striker has judged the ball will arrive at. Because Wilcox has got near to the bye line the defenders have been turned around to face the threat from the wing and are no longer fully aware of where the strikers are in relation to the ball.

What you now have is an ideal situation for any striker. Goalkeeper unsure of his position, defenders no longer in eye contact with whoever it is they are marking , strikers free to run into a goalscoring position.

It's all school boy stuff, I knew this when I was playing youth football aged 15.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Good post and that attitude permeates throughout the team. You know a winning team when you see one, they actually rush with their frees to try and win games. So often we stand around, tap to someone else, let them take it maybe, ah no back to you again. 3 minutes pass. Bunch of losers to be honest. 

To be honest when did we last look like we actually wanted to be out there ? When did we last look like a team that enjoys playing football ?

• Like 2