BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Where have you heard Palace are interest in Gallagher?.

Think Roy's signed some donkeys in his time but very much doubt he's even heard of Gallagher.

Think you've been well and truly reeled in there.......................

• Like 2

Just now, Mercer said:

Think Roy's signed some donkeys in his time but very much doubt he's even heard of Gallagher.

Think you've been well and truly reeled in there.......................

Hodgson is only head coach there. Imagine its Freedman and Parish who decide who they sign

• Like 1

I can see him being some kind of statistical anomaly that makes him attractive to scouts.

Huge, covers loads of ground, never injured, doesn’t lose many “aerial battles” because he rarely jumps etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

I can see him being some kind of statistical anomaly that makes him attractive to scouts.

Huge, covers loads of ground, never injured, doesn’t lose many “aerial battles” because he rarely jumps etc.

You are probably right there. Plus £5m is peanuts to a PL club.

Also: agents.

11 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I’ll put any wager, with anyone, that Palace won’t be in for Sam Gallagher.

We’ll struggle to get him off the books given his decent wage here. Who would want him too? 

I would think  Big Sam  would ..

• Like 1

Could Gallagher be a cheap improvement on Benteke at Palace? Quite possibly!

I'm pretty sure it's not gonna happen though.

I think, whether fans like it or not, it's pretty clear that Mowbray is staying. So his priorities for me are:

Keep at all costs Lenihan, Travis, Dack, Arma, JRC, Davenport, & Nyambe (preferably on a new contract).

Keep - Downing, Tosin (unlikely I know), Graham, Rothwell, Holtby, Bell, Davenport, Wharton,

Release - Samuel (a little regrettably), Chapman, Smallwood

Listen to offers for (a little optimistically perhaps) - BB, Gally, Williams, Johnson & / or Evans, Bennett 

Loan out - Buckley, Butterworth, Hilton / Fisher 

2 new keepers - a solid permanent (Darlow, Rudd?) & a loan understudy, with the other of Hilton or Fisher being brought through. I'd not be averse to having Walton back as perm, if price is right, but seems unlikely so wouldn't shed a tear.

1 perm LB - Cunningham looked v competent in all aspects of the position. If he can prove hit fitness, he'd be great to have back.

CB - 1 perm & 1 loan. Would love Tosin back but unlikely; he'll move permanently to a promoted or lower Prem club, possibly with a buyback clause in City's favour as he could be THAT good. We also need to fully integrate an U23 into the 1st team squad. I'd hazard Wharton as most likely to compete with a loanee given his experience. 

In CM and attack, we're well stocked and I don't see there's major surgery needed there that could be done within budget, without a big sale. I would focus instead on improving output from those already here - esp Brereton, Gallagher, Rothwell & Buckley, plus improve Nyambe's final ball & play JRC further forward. I'd only have incomings in these areas to replace any big departures.

There appear to be another half dozen returning loanees or U23s who might be considered promising & on the fringes of the 1st team squad in all positions, besides those mentioned above (e.g. Carter, Magloire, Thompson, Grayson, Lyons, Vale). I don't know any well enough as I only see highlights, but I'd be surprised if a couple of them weren't more fixtures in the squad in 12 months time.

There's work to do to improve without losing top players. GK, CB and LB are my priorities. It's doable in my opinion, especially with improvement on the training ground based on achieving consistency, breaking down stubborn defences & not throwing away leads so often through silly individual errors. 

We need natural width, there might be isolated examples where playing wide forwards has got us a goal, for example Samuel midweek, but it doesnt work.

I also think the time has come for Graham to be let go. Samuel certainly should be let go no questions asked. A ruthless approach needed with the out of contracters, even Downing has been less effective post lockdown but he is worth another year.

I dont see how we will be able to do anything but add a few frees and loans to plug major positions and we of course will always allow our rivals to steal a march.

The main thing we need to do with a consistent way of working. Mowbray suggested that he likes to chop and change dependant on opposition, for me that isnt condusive to consistency. Look at Leeds and West Brom, you know what you are getting from those sides, they are perfecting their styles, and it means that every time a player comes out, one comes in and it doesnt derail them, they slot in seamlessly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

We need natural width, there might be isolated examples where playing wide forwards has got us a goal, for example Samuel midweek, but it doesnt work.

I also think the time has come for Graham to be let go. Samuel certainly should be let go no questions asked. A ruthless approach needed with the out of contracters, even Downing has been less effective post lockdown but he is worth another year.

I dont see how we will be able to do anything but add a few frees and loans to plug major positions and we of course will always allow our rivals to steal a march.

The main thing we need to do with a consistent way of working. Mowbray suggested that he likes to chop and change dependant on opposition, for me that isnt condusive to consistency. Look at Leeds and West Brom, you know what you are getting from those sides, they are perfecting their styles, and it means that every time a player comes out, one comes in and it doesnt derail them, they slot in seamlessly.

The thing with these suggestions of letting both Graham and Samuel go is that I don't see how we get two new forwards who are any improvement on paper, on top of the entire defence plus gks we need, with the paltry budget we will probably have.

Maybe we can afford to let one go without replacing but not both. With Dack back I'll be fine to proceed with our attacking options as long as we fix the defence big time, so I'd rather all the money went there. It's a more cost effective area to improve, because it's cheaper and weaker. I'd like to improve the strikers, dont get me wrong, and if we had a good budget, enough to fix everything under this lot, I'd agree with you.

As it is I'd probably give Samuel a one year deal on lower wages. He isn't starting to lose it physically, could still have potential to improve a bit (maybe), and is far cheaper. He has attributes that can make him useful as a sub to unsettle a defence late, and at a bit less than we are probably paying him, I'd take that.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The Dingles have played the same system all the time Dyche has been there. If they can they play 4-4-2 almost irrespective of the opposition. They had two up front yesterday against Liverpool away. He also knows his best 11 and when guys have to be brought in as replacements they know what the system is. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Whilst I agree with this, Mowbray's sides haven't played with natural width for the 3.5 years he's been here, I don't see that changing now.

• Like 3

That's what we have had with Walton though, and before that Raya, and it's hardly been to universal acclaim in either case. Both have been pilloried on here (sometime overly so IMO) after those changers. Hart would be totally crucified if he did the same.

I'm sure there are better, more consistent & less showboaty keepers out there than Hart, whether from lower leagues, Prem reserves or Europe.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

That's what we have had with Walton though, and before that Raya, and it's hardly been to universal acclaim in either case. Both have been pilloried on here (sometime overly so IMO) after those changers. Hart would be totally crucified if he did the same.

I'm sure there are better, more consistent & less showboaty keepers out there than Hart, whether from lower leagues, Prem reserves or Europe.

As someone on here said a couple of weeks back....Hart is Buffon compared to Raya and Walton.

Won the premier league,  Fa cup, league cup, englands number one for years not too long ago....Pep drops him because he can't play outfield, and spends 70m replacing him.....

The guy is primed to settle down at a club like ours and be a success for 10 years.

• Like 3

I don't share your obvious confidence I'm afraid, I rather think that with the pressure on him to succeed - and there will be, for all the reasons you mention - he will be an accident waiting to happen.

He'll be a target for every opposing manager, telling their players to get at him, get under his skin, put high balls on, force an error. He'll be baited at every ground we visit & by every away fan that comes to Ewood (as & when that's allowed again).

I really don't think we need to be inviting that sort of pressure on the rest of the team. IMO we're better off with a solid, consistent, under-the-radar type keeper who can just get on with his job.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Think we should just sign hart and be done with it. He will have a few clangers but would be a decent champ keeper 

I always thought Hart was the worst keeper on the planet.

Granted Mowbray has surpassed even that with this dolloper from Brighton but even so there's no way whatsoever we should be touching Hart with a barge pole on large wages imo.

• Like 1