BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

50 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Even though I strongly believe that it is time for TM go, I also know that the chances of that actually happening are very slim, which leaves this summer as a crucial window in his reign. The noises that seem to be coming from the club point to a low budget with a reliance on academy players for next season. Due to the youthful nature of our squad already I don’t believe that is the end of the world for us, and with one or two tweaks, taking TM out of the equation, we could have a squad capable of challenging the top end of the table.

With Dack coming back I feel as if we will revert back to our 4231 formation in order to get the best out of him. It is obvious that we need a new centre back, left back, keeper and at least one wide player. If we want to challenge next season these acquisitions need to be first team quality and players who can come straight into the team. Assuming that they are, we would be left with a very capable squad.

GK: New, Fisher

RB: Nyambe, Bennett 

CB: Lenihan, New, Williams, Carter, Grayson 

LB: New, Bell

CM: Travis, Evans, Davenport, Buckley, Holtby, Johnson 

RM: Rothwell, JRC

LM: New, Chapman 

CAM: Dack: Holtby, Buckley 

Striker: Arma, Gally, BB

Anyone not on that list has to be let go of imo. On paper that looks quite strong to me, but is heavily reliant on us making the right signings in the right areas, something which I don’t really have faith in TM doing. But there is certainly potential there for a decent season. 

What we cannot afford to do this summer is buy squad players, especially in this economic climate. We already have the current players, aswell as upcoming youngsters to bulk up the squad, what we really need is first team quality and I hope that is where we focus our finically resources, if any, on this summer.

You've lined those players up in their rightful positions, I only wish Tony would!

22 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Wouldn't be surprising to see Prem interest in any or all three of Lenihan, AA and Travis this summer.  I'd imagine Mowbray is banking on a big sale if he wants any money to spend. 

Sharpe saying Tosin and Samuel have likely played their last games for the club. 

Lenihan isn't good enough for the Prem. Travis isn't ready. Armstrong is the one who will leave. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, alcd said:

If Sheff Utd wanted him why didn't they get him. Suspect that was agents and journos waffle. Anyway they can aim higher now. 

As you say they'll be fishing in a bigger pool now. Lenihan's too rough around the edges to make it at top level at the moment.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I think it's pretty rare that championship players are bought by premier League clubs. How many were last summer? Anyone know? My impression is you would need to be really pulling up trees to go the Prem but I don't think any of ours are quite in that category yet.

Probably the bigger danger is the club's coming down trying to take them off us.

I think we've got a decent chance of holding onto all of them.

Lenihan is not premier quality yet the same is said of old big head at Norwich! Travis has shown he isn’t ready, too lacsidasical with the ball.

good to see Carter will play on Wednesday also great to hear Samuel won’t feature. Not good enough. Time to streamline the squad and if it takes another season of getting these youngsters ready then so be it. They may be helped with no crowds until October! 

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I think it's pretty rare that championship players are bought by premier League clubs. How many were last summer? Anyone know? My impression is you would need to be really pulling up trees to go the Prem but I don't think any of ours are quite in that category yet.

Probably the bigger danger is the club's coming down trying to take them off us.

I think we've got a decent chance of holding onto all of them.

Sheff 's Utd's team still consists of a few that were in L1 with them. They signed that McBurnie last season from the Championship.. plus Ben Osborn, Luke Freeman, Jack Robinson and Callum Robinson.  

I think Lenihan would fit the profile that Wilder looks for. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Lenihan is not premier quality yet the same is said of old big head at Norwich!

Tbf Grant and Norwich aren't PL quality which is why they're coming straight back down.

• Like 2

I'm not worried about any of our lads being looked at by Prem clubs for next season (maybe Trav at a push). 

I am worried about wealthy Championship clubs with money burning holes in their pockets looking at a few of them though,

If there's interest in Armstrong, I hope we're brave enough to recognise his value. Young English forward who scores bags of goals, sets a few up and scares teams to death with his pace. Needs to be 8 figures to start the conversation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

As you say they'll be fishing in a bigger pool now. Lenihan's too rough around the edges to make it at top level at the moment.

At 26 not sure he'll improve enough for PL.

IMO, decent Championship player - full stop.

Travis has a season to prove he COULD make the step up - though surprising how younger players 'level out'.

Armstrong, IMO, technically not good enough for PL.  Will be a very good Championship player.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Mercer said:

At 26 not sure he'll improve enough for PL.

IMO, decent Championship player - full stop.

Travis has a season to prove he COULD make the step up - though surprising how younger players 'level out'.

Armstrong, IMO, technically not good enough for PL.  Will be a very good Championship player.

You could be right about that, but I'm really surprised how his all round game has come on this year.

12 months ago I was worrying whether he was a luxury at this level, pace and a good finish but not much else. Now he's just an excellent all round attacker, capable of running at players, scoring from both feet from anywhere, setting goals up. Might need to keep up the progress to get to the top flight as a starter, but I wouldn't write him off at his age. 

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

You could be right about that, but I'm really surprised how his all round game has come on this year.

12 months ago I was worrying whether he was a luxury at this level, pace and a good finish but not much else. Now he's just an excellent all round attacker, capable of running at players, scoring from both feet from anywhere, setting goals up. Might need to keep up the progress to get to the top flight as a starter, but I wouldn't write him off at his age. 

Has improved and needed to as, IMO, looked a League One player out of his depth.

Huge step up to PL for an attacking player.  Compare him to most of the PL attacking players and, IMO, he's still miles off the mark.  IMO, not an intelligent footballer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I agree with that but the Prem is another level up. Defenders at that level have pace also.

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Has improved and needed to as, IMO, looked a League One player out of his depth.

Huge step up to PL for an attacking player.  Compare him to most of the PL attacking players and, IMO, he's still miles off the mark.  IMO, not an intelligent footballer.

I was thinking similar at times early last season to be honest. Looked at his goals record for Bolton and Barnsley and heard some of their fans talk about how he might as well not be on the pitch when they played him out wide. Suspected that he might never have the intelligence, all round game (or in our case, service!) to make the most of his goal-scoring talents. Perhaps wouldn't go as far to say that he looked like a L1 player, but certainly one dimensional in a way that is chalk and cheese to his contributions of late. 

Take the point about the massive step up, but equally there are plenty of examples of forwards taking to the step up like a duck to water. I suppose a common theme is that they often have physicality which Arma doesn't, but this isn't always the case. Another year of improvement at the rate of the last 12 months, we might be having a different conversation. 

Arms has a bit of pace about him and a decent shot. Some attributes there that would help in the Prem, something to be worked on

Agree though with those who've said we've several on the books who'd interest ambitious championship clubs.

Of which we are 'supposed' to be one !

16 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I was thinking similar at times early last season to be honest. Looked at his goals record for Bolton and Barnsley and heard some of their fans talk about how he might as well not be on the pitch when they played him out wide. Suspected that he might never have the intelligence, all round game (or in our case, service!) to make the most of his goal-scoring talents. Perhaps wouldn't go as far to say that he looked like a L1 player, but certainly one dimensional in a way that is chalk and cheese to his contributions of late. 

Take the point about the massive step up, but equally there are plenty of examples of forwards taking to the step up like a duck to water. I suppose a common theme is that they often have physicality which Arma doesn't, but this isn't always the case. Another year of improvement at the rate of the last 12 months, we might be having a different conversation. 

Jamie Vardy came up that way also but I suspect he's got more desire and pure will to win than Armstrong, There's no lost causes with Vardy.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Jamie Vardy came up that way also but I suspect he's got more desire and pure will to win than Amstrong, There's no lost causes with Vardy.

A rare player and character is Vardy. He doesn't have the same backstory but you could put Ings in a similar bracket, albeit not quite as good.

I don't expect that Amra will ever get the top flight career that those have had (or certainly that Ings would have had bar injuries) but equally I don't think he's too far away from being able to score a decent number of goals at that level, albeit in the right set-up.