BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

21 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Is mad that we desperately need two keepers, a cb and a lb and we’re having talks with a Cm tmrw! ?

Couldnt write it

It is a bit mad but from Sparks Rovers posts it sounds like we have been tracking this guy for a while, perhaps we are actually trying to steal a march on other clubs for a change. 

Trav is the only decent CM we have, admittedly we have much more pressing concerns, so as long as he doesn't blow all our budget on this one guy then hopefully he has something lined up for GK, CB & LB

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Just doesnt make any sense to me, considering that the manager said less than 24 hours ago that he isnt even in a position to offer a contract to Downing such is the lack of clarity from the owners. And even then, even for him it would be careless to spend on a midfielder considering what we need the most.

The rumour has been around for a year or so now. Maybe there is a meeting, just seems a bit pointless to me and a bit illogical to have one when there is a big chance that we cant afford him and even if we can, we have no defence or goalkeepers.

If it does end up happening, fair play. Will hold my hands up.

Then it just wont make sense considering his position, or maybe it will with Mowbray signing a cheap loanee in net last minute!

We put a bid in January apparently. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Just doesnt make any sense to me, considering that the manager said less than 24 hours ago that he isnt even in a position to offer a contract to Downing such is the lack of clarity from the owners. And even then, even for him it would be careless to spend on a midfielder considering what we need the most.

The rumour has been around for a year or so now. Maybe there is a meeting, just seems a bit pointless to me and a bit illogical to have one when there is a big chance that we cant afford him and even if we can, we have no defence or goalkeepers.

If it does end up happening, fair play. Will hold my hands up.

Then it just wont make sense considering his position, or maybe it will with Mowbray signing a cheap loanee in net last minute!

The old two budgets! Investments and General 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If that was a senior player, you would be very critical. I understand that he is a young player, I just think that he is nowhere near ready to be playing Championship football based on what he has shown. If I had written him off totally you might have a point. I just think that it makes sense to loan him out, because he shouldnt be featuring for a Championship side supposedly with promotion in its sights. I dont expect the finished article but equally I am not going to tell you that he looks up to it when I certainly dont think he does.

As a player with a reputation of having a good delivery, I have been disappointed in the crosses from Rankin Costello, albeit he is on his weak side. He put at least two in yesterday straight high into the stand.

Why are converted winger full backs a thing? We only have 2 competent players in the defence/goalkeeping areas, and you are suggesting dropping one for a winger. We have 2 big gaps out wide, if Rankin Costello wants to get into the side, it makes sense to give him a chance there. I am skeptical at the moment as to whether he has the tools but i would like to see him in his natural position. He hasnt let us down or looked out of his depth at all (like Carter) but equally he hasnt really done anything to make me think, wow lets get him in more.

Superfan as in using the "cant wait until next season" line whenever anyone suggests anything other than an optimistic outlook going forward under Mowbray, and a total blanket ban on criticism of young players performances regardless of competence.

Like I said, if you or anyone wants to believe that we have got a plan and that Venkys have suddenly become proactive and interested owners who have been in regular contact regarding a budget, then that is up to you. They never have before, even last year summoning Mowbray to India at the end of a season which was all but over 6 weeks before it actually ended. Throw a pandemic and restrictions of travel into the mix, have they suddenly grasped video calling? I suspect not. Baring in mind that Mowbray also said last night that he is not in as position yet to offer a contract to Downing etc, I think you are looking too much into his quotes.

I suspect that even if there have been chats with Whiteman, it wont come to anything unless he is a replacement for an outgoing Lewis Travis. Spending over a million (which will be more than we spend over the whole summer I suspect) on a central midfielder when we have no contracted goalkeepers and barely any defenders would seem negligent but I suppose unsurprising.

You I would be critical not over critical!

Rankin Costello has step up to playing at left back and I think he done a fairly good job in a position he never played in before. I think he will a regular first team by the end of next season. 

I have watched Rankin Costello played the right wing back role for the under 23's for nearly 2 years. So he can play that role in my opinion, Yes Nyambe is good at defending but awful going forward and not enough to suit the attacking full back role. 

You keep banging on about wingers? We don't play with Winger under Mowbray and we never have. He wants his full back to provide the width Whether we play 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2 formation going forward into next season and beyond. 

You used the term Super fan to get a rise from me. Yes I can't wait to get back into Ewood Park watching live games and hopefully the under 23's and 18's games next season. Watching Rovers games on TV isn't the same for me and miss being there. Aren't you missing attending games or not? If you are can you next wait until next season then?

Well the season starts in roughly 7 weeks time and with the pandemic and Restrictions on travel means Mowbray and co don't have to go to India. Which might work in our favour. Who said they have only just grasped Video Calling considering they have businesses interests in Switzerland aswell. They like meeting their managers face to face. Whether its Kean or Bowyer or Mowbray. You might say why don't they come over here or even meet in Switzerland but that's sadly isn't their way. We might run the club different. 

Yes I seen the comments on Downing and others from Mowbray. You look at that and say considering their wages Downing and Graham are on currently he wants to wait until his budget is finalise to offer them contracts for next season. I wouldn't offer Graham and Downing new contracts on the same wages at all. 

Who knows, We could have offers in for a keeper or 2 and defenders but nothing leak yet which is bonus in my opinion.  On Whiteman, clearly we have had a bid accept in so we have funds available otherwise he wouldn't be in for talks tomorrow. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Rankin Costello has step up to playing at left back and I think he done a fairly good job in a position he never played in before. I think he will a regular first team by the end of next season. 

I have watched Rankin Costello played the right wing back role for the under 23's for nearly 2 years. So he can play that role in my opinion, Yes Nyambe is good at defending but awful going forward and not enough to suit the attacking full back role. 

You keep banging on about wingers? We don't play with Winger under Mowbray and we never have. He wants his full back to provide the width Whether we play 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2 formation going forward into next season and beyond. 

You used the term Super fan to get a rise from me. Yes I can't wait to get back into Ewood Park watching live games and hopefully the under 23's and 18's games next season. Watching Rovers games on TV isn't the same for me and miss being there. Aren't you missing attending games or not? If you are can you next wait until next season then?

Well the season starts in roughly 7 weeks time and with the pandemic and Restrictions on travel means Mowbray and co don't have to go to India. Which might work in our favour. Who said they have only just grasped Video Calling considering they have businesses interests in Switzerland aswell. They like meeting their managers face to face. Whether its Kean or Bowyer or Mowbray. You might say why don't they come over here or even meet in Switzerland but that's sadly isn't their way. We might run the club different. 

Yes I seen the comments on Downing and others from Mowbray. You look at that and say considering their wages Downing and Graham are on currently he wants to wait until his budget is finalise to offer them contracts for next season. I wouldn't offer Graham and Downing new contracts on the same wages at all. 

Who knows, We could have offers in for a keeper or 2 and defenders but nothing leak yet which is bonus in my opinion.  On Whiteman, clearly we have had a bid accept in so we have funds available otherwise he wouldn't be in for talks tomorrow. 

Next season when I’m in the NW. il buy you a pint at one of these games Chaddy

• Like 1

But we've never played with full backs who like to get forward and get the ball into the box either. 4-2-3-1 is our best system because it gets our most dangerous goal threat in his best and most effective position.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Next season when I’m in the NW. il buy you a pint at one of these games Chaddy

Fair enough. 

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

But we've never played with full backs who like to get forward and get the ball into the box either. 4-2-3-1 is our best system because it gets our most dangerous goal threat in his best and most effective position.

Rankin Costello has been getting forward all the time even from the left back role. He was in the box on several occasions even last night. 

The thing is, you keep speaking as if Mowbray's usage of players in wide areas has been successful and shouldnt be contested. Brereton, Samuel and Gallagher especially are repeatedly played there and it doesnt work. Rothwell sometimes plays there and achieves diddly squat. Holtby and Buckley are sometimes played there and stunted because it isnt natural for them. I want players that are actually comfortable there, heaven forbid. As @ewoodace says how do you know that we want our full backs to provide the width anyway as they havent to date.

We need our defenders to bloody defend first and foremost. Nyambe albeit not perfectly is one of only 2 players we have back there who can do this. I am sure the defence will be neglected again and we will concede too many goals if Mowbray stays in charge. Especially if we start converting wingers (who from the sound of it has played as a wing back, not a full back, with the kids) into a back 4 and drop an actual competent albeit imperfect full back in Nyambe.

I cant say I am counting down the days until the new season no, with limited attendances, probably a key player or 2 sold, little money and in my opinion becoming stagnant on the pitch, I'm not. I am sure I will go but thats not the point. You bring it up when it is not relevant and you have nothing constructive to say when people doubt our current direction under the manager, its a case of, I dont have an answer to this, I'd better reiterate how excited I am to go again.

As I say, you can make your excuses for them or you can believe that everything is completely in hand, plans are being made, we are making bids, we have players coming in for meetings, Venkys are regularly in touch and keenly interested, and that theyve grasped online calls, thats your decision. Based on Mowbrays quotes last night and more pertinently the history of Venkys, I think deluded wouldnt be a strong word for such beliefs. 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rankin Costello has been getting forward all the time even from the left back role. He was in the box on several occasions even last night. 

But Rankin-Costello is only playing a full back because of injuries and Mowbray himself has said that he sees him playing further forward. Of our actual full back's none of them do what you described.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

We urgently need a top class proven keeper. I get frustrated with TM saying he is waiting for Venky's to give him a budget. If it was me I'd be on the phone constantly stressing this is holding the transfer system up and causing a massive problem as we move more quickly into the new season.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

We urgently need a top class proven keeper. I get frustrated with TM saying he is waiting for Venky's to give him a budget. If it was me I'd be on the phone constantly stressing this is holding the transfer system up and causing a massive problem as we move more quickly into the new season.

I know the guy is frustrating as anything we've known,  but I hardly think he's sat there twiddling his thumbs, looking at the phone wondering when it's going to ring. It'll be issues on their end rather than him not trying to find out I'm sure. Won't be as simple as you put it

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing is, you keep speaking as if Mowbray's usage of players in wide areas has been successful and shouldn't be contested. Brereton, Samuel and Gallagher especially are repeatedly played there and it doesn't work. Rothwell sometimes plays there and achieves diddly squat. Holtby and Buckley are sometimes played there and stunted because it isnt natural for them. I want players that are actually comfortable there, heaven forbid. As @ewoodace says how do you know that we want our full backs to provide the width anyway as they haven't to date.

Like I keep saying we don't play with natural wingers and we haven't since Mowbray got appointed. He never has so why he is going to change. You can banging on about playing with natural wingers as much as you want. But that's isn't the way of our current manager. 

You provide the width last night? answer is the full back. That's how the 4-2-2-2 formation works. Here is the way 4-2-2-2 formation works at Southampton and he played the same way at RB Leipzig did Ralph Hasenhutti

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/strengths-weaknesses-hasenhuttl-system-southampton-4203343

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We need our defenders to bloody defend first and foremost. Nyambe albeit not perfectly is one of only 2 players we have back there who can do this. I am sure the defence will be neglected again and we will concede too many goals if Mowbray stays in charge. Especially if we start converting wingers (who from the sound of it has played as a wing back, not a full back, with the kids) into a back 4 and drop an actual competent albeit imperfect full back in Nyambe.

Yes we need our full backs to defend first but they must good at going forward which Nyambe isn't good enough at the minute. He has a lot of work to do with his attacking and forward attributes. 

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I cant say I am counting down the days until the new season no, with limited attendances, probably a key player or 2 sold, little money and in my opinion becoming stagnant on the pitch, I'm not. I am sure I will go but that's not the point. You bring it up when it is not relevant and you have nothing constructive to say when people doubt our current direction under the manager, its a case of, I don't have an answer to this, I'd better reiterate how excited I am to go again.

I will posted whatever I think is relevant at the time. All because you don't agree with what I posted doesn't mean it isn't right to post it

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As I say, you can make your excuses for them or you can believe that everything is completely in hand, plans are being made, we are making bids, we have players coming in for meetings, Venkys are regularly in touch and keenly interested, and that they've grasped online calls, that's your decision. Based on Mowbray's quotes last night and more pertinently the history of Venkys, I think deluded wouldn't be a strong word for such beliefs. 

They aren't excuses. Pandemic and restrictions om Air travel are fact! If the weren't interested in the club why would keep owning the club. 

Who knows what going on at Brockhall in terms of bringing players, talking to agents, etc. We don't know. 

I am pleased people like Sparks have posted his info today

53 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

But Rankin-Costello is only playing a full back because of injuries and Mowbray himself has said that he sees him playing further forward. Of our actual full back's none of them do what you described.

I am fully aware of Mowbray's comments about Rankin Costello long term position for Rovers. 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

We put a bid in January apparently. 

So its seems like he has been long term target for is. 

Could this be one of the players Mowbray said the supporters consultation meeting he had players line up I wonder? 

Didn't Waggott said we have 1.4 million pound budget in January? 

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I have to say @Sparks Rover I really hope you’re bang on the money with this. I’ve been really worried that we wouldn’t have any cash to spend this summer.

Assuming Whiteman’s in for talks tomorrow that means, A - we do have budget and B - we’ve got a plan.

Delighted if so.

And C - that our plan is to throw the budget at the wrong area of the pitch as usual.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I keep saying we don't play with natural wingers and we haven't since Mowbray got appointed. He never has so why he is going to change. You can banging on about playing with natural wingers as much as you want. But that's isn't the way of our current manager. 

You provide the width last night? answer is the full back. That's how the 4-2-2-2 formation works. Here is the way 4-2-2-2 formation works at Southampton and he played the same way at RB Leipzig did Ralph Hasenhutti

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/strengths-weaknesses-hasenhuttl-system-southampton-4203343

How many different teams has Mowbray tried to emulate over the last 2 years, of the top of my head there is Spain, Barcelona, Brentford, Southampton & Sheffield United. Is he so void of ideas that he cannot think of his own style for his own team.

It's no wonder we never look effective trying any of them as the player know within a few weeks the manager will have moved on to the new flavour of the month. Let's be honest he tries all these clever tactics trying to replicate other sides but the only time we really look effective is playing a long balls into Graham and Dack.

If we could only sign 3 players what positions would other fans like?

Personally I think GK and central defender is a must. Last one would be an out and out winger or LB like greg Cunningham who would come straight into first team.

Dont think we will see many signings due to financial restrictions. Whoever we sign must be good enough to go straight into first team, none of this needs to get used to our teams style of play etc as mowbray has previously indicated.

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes we need our full backs to defend first but they must good at going forward which Nyambe isn't good enough at the minute. He has a lot of work to do with his attacking and forward attributes. 

Chaddy we don't have any full back on the books who are good at attacking and that has been the case for Mowbray 3 years at the club. How many assists do our full back have in the last two season? I'd be stunned if it was as many as 5.

Not that he’s pulled up any trees but I wouldn’t be too confident of Holtby being here next season either. Judging by his Instagram, his missus lives in Germany and he’s delighted to be back there following the end of the season. Seems a bit Bradley Johnson to me - one foot in, hotel job, not overly committed.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

If we could only sign 3 players what positions would other fans like?

Personally I think GK and central defender is a must. Last one would be an out and out winger or LB like greg Cunningham who would come straight into first team.

Dont think we will see many signings due to financial restrictions. Whoever we sign must be good enough to go straight into first team, none of this needs to get used to our teams style of play etc as mowbray has previously indicated.

If we can only sign 3 we are in trouble. Need keeper x 2, cb x2 and lb as a minimum. 

24 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Chaddy we don't have any full back on the books who are good at attacking and that has been the case for Mowbray 3 years at the club. How many assists do our full back have in the last two season? I'd be stunned if it was as many as 5.

Nyambe had one assist this season. I don't think we had any from left back? Bennett ,meanwhile, had 4 assists. Downing had the most with 8. 

4 hours ago, superniko said:

He’s pretty highly regarded at Donny and I think has a few years left on his contract so would take a few million to get him. 
Hopefully that’s not our budget for defenders if it goes through!! Would be a good partner for Travis (again hopefully not a replacement)

Edit: My Donny supporting friend tells me he has a £1.5m release clause. Apparently the Peterborough chairman announced that on twitter over Xmas 

Chris brown was the last highly rated player to come from donny. Might be a good player I’ve never seen him play but isn’t he a centre mid. Definitely don’t need to prioritise that position. Have you seen him play. What’s your opinion on him if you have ?

• Like 1