BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

• Moderation Lead
55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I keep saying we don't play with natural wingers and we haven't since Mowbray got appointed. He never has so why he is going to change. You can banging on about playing with natural wingers as much as you want. But that's isn't the way of our current manager. 

You provide the width last night? answer is the full back. That's how the 4-2-2-2 formation works. Here is the way 4-2-2-2 formation works at Southampton and he played the same way at RB Leipzig did Ralph Hasenhutti

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/strengths-weaknesses-hasenhuttl-system-southampton-4203343

Yes we need our full backs to defend first but they must good at going forward which Nyambe isn't good enough at the minute. He has a lot of work to do with his attacking and forward attributes. 

Just because Mowbray plays a certain way, doesn’t mean it has to be that way. Things can always improve and fans should hope that he is capable of such improvement as well, otherwise, what’s the point?

Your last two points contradict each other.

• Like 2

Regarding Wharton, I thought he would be the next defender to have a good chance at holding down a place. The last defender I said that about was o Connell and wasn’t surprised to see him do well elsewhere, obviously I didn’t expect him to be as good as he is but new we had a player and lost out. Scott gave me the same feeling watching him. He got injured and then had been loaned around with the odd decent performance in our cup games. Scores the odd goal aswell. I haven’t seen anything of him for a couple of years but would include him pre season to have a good look. Sadly where he’s been playing and from the lack of noise around him can’t be tearing up trees and doesn’t bode well for a championship defence desperate for some quality and organisation

Edited by Oldgregg86

32 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Not that he’s pulled up any trees but I wouldn’t be too confident of Holtby being here next season either. Judging by his Instagram, his missus lives in Germany and he’s delighted to be back there following the end of the season. Seems a bit Bradley Johnson to me - one foot in, hotel job, not overly committed.

I would give the guy some credit, we could see the best of him after coming back to England and bedding in, Had a bad injury and paid top money to get himself back as soon as he could, after an injury like that he didn't look too bad, Hopefully Dack does the same

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Regarding Wharton, I thought he would be the next defender to have a good chance at holding down a place. The last defender I said that about was o Connell and wasn’t surprised to see him do well elsewhere, obviously I didn’t expect him to be as good as he is but new we had a player and lost out. Scott gave me the same feeling watching him. He got injured and then had been loaned around with the odd decent performance in our cup games. Scores the odd goal aswell. I haven’t seen anything of him for a couple of years but would include him pre season to have a good look. Sadly where he’s been playing and from the lack of noise around him can’t be tearing up trees and doesn’t bode well for a championship defence desperate for some quality and organisation

Next to goalkeepers centre halves " mature " latest. I wouldn't write Wharton off without seeing him play. Get him up against Brereton in training, he'll look like Mike England.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Next to goalkeepers centre halves " mature " latest. I wouldn't write Wharton off without seeing him play. Get him up against Brereton in training, he'll look like Mike England.

Im certainly not writing him off. I believed he should have had first team experience with us in the same way a few of the young lads got game time this year. I’d take a good look at him pre season but without seeing him play and the only evidence In front of me is where he has played and not been given a chance with us when we are lacking in those areas then the chances are he has stagnated or reached his natural peak. He needs a pre season with us and then to be a serious contender for a shirt or let go. He’s not a kid anymore and has plenty of league experience albeit at a lower level. Sink or swim time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tugayislegend said:

If we could only sign 3 players what positions would other fans like?

Personally I think GK and central defender is a must. Last one would be an out and out winger or LB like greg Cunningham who would come straight into first team.

Dont think we will see many signings due to financial restrictions. Whoever we sign must be good enough to go straight into first team, none of this needs to get used to our teams style of play etc as mowbray has previously indicated.

GK, CB , LB

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Not that he’s pulled up any trees but I wouldn’t be too confident of Holtby being here next season either. Judging by his Instagram, his missus lives in Germany and he’s delighted to be back there following the end of the season. Seems a bit Bradley Johnson to me - one foot in, hotel job, not overly committed.

Holtby has shown some real glimpses of quality, not on enough occasions arguably but I think he’s shown enough to be worth keeping for his last year before his contract runs out in 2021. Johnson is frustrating, he’s had some excellent games this season but he’s also had his fair share of stinkers. Saying that, there hasn’t been many of our players who have been consistent in their performances ?

10 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

GK, CB , LB

Exactly, we need to come up with a method of keeping clean sheets first and foremost. A good solid back five is the answer to that. I'll bet my boots Hughton will be doing that at Bristol. I can't see the point of bringing another central midfield player unless either of Travis or Evans is off. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Exactly, we need to come up with a method of keeping clean sheets first and foremost. A good solid back five is the answer to that. I'll bet my boots Hughton will be doing that at Bristol. I can't see the point of bringing another central midfield player unless either of Travis or Evans is off. 

We couldn't be that lucky that we'd finally see the back of Evan's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Is mad that we desperately need two keepers, a cb and a lb and we’re having talks with a Cm tmrw! ?

Couldnt write it

It's an excuse to give Richie a new 12 month deal so he can stay on and teach this bloke how to play like him and Corry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I keep saying we don't play with natural wingers and we haven't since Mowbray got appointed. He never has so why he is going to change. You can banging on about playing with natural wingers as much as you want. But that's isn't the way of our current manager. 

You provide the width last night? answer is the full back. That's how the 4-2-2-2 formation works. 

Every time we try the 4-2-2-2 it doesn't work. The two wide 10s come inside to the extent that we dont look to cut through anyone. He has tried it before this season and it looks rubbish. It also opens you up on the counter. Why Mowbray had cycled back to it from the 4-3-3 that looked positive against reading is strange it's almost as if he still doesn't know what he is trying to do. 

I know it doesn't sound much but that one change to the formation between reading and Luton has worried me massively. He doesn't have a clue of how he is going to build a system that can get us to the playoffs. 

I used to feel like the 4-2-3-1 with one striker out wide and one defensive winger really straitjacketed us but at least there was some consistency to it and the players understood their jobs. 

He wants a new passing style but hasn't committed to a system to achieve it. This season weve played 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-4-2 diamond, 4-2-3-1, 3-4-2-1. I understand a little experimentation post dacks injury but it just highlights 1) mowbrays inability to coach players to fit a plan 2) mowbrays lack of direction. Oh he is flexible I hear you say, well how he uses and pidgeonholes his players shows his stubbornness.

I suppose he hasnt done a bad job on the whole. He just frustrates me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Chaddy we don't have any full back on the books who are good at attacking and that has been the case for Mowbray 3 years at the club. How many assists do our full back have in the last two season? I'd be stunned if it was as many as 5.

Bennett when he has played right back for the club in 2 seasons has 4 assists. Nyambe has none as his assist came against Swansea when he played at Centre back this season. Bell has 3 assists with all 18/19 season. Williams has 2 assists with all in 18/19 season. Cunningham has 1 assist this season.  So that's is 10 assists within the 2 seasons. Stats are from Transfermarkt. 

Just highlights that Nyambe's game going forward isn't good enough

53 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Just because Mowbray plays a certain way, doesn’t mean it has to be that way. Things can always improve and fans should hope that he is capable of such improvement as well, otherwise, what’s the point?

Fair enough. You keep highlighting it about wide players but my overall point that after 3.5 years here at the club we know for facts that Mowbray doesn't play with natural wingers. 

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Every time we try the 4-2-2-2 it doesn't work. The two wide 10s come inside to the extent that we dont look to cut through anyone. He has tried it before this season and it looks rubbish. It also opens you up on the counter. Why Mowbray had cycled back to it from the 4-3-3 that looked positive against reading is strange it's almost as if he still doesn't know what he is trying to do. 

I felt we played more of 4-2-3-1 against Reading back listening to the Rovers commentator last night it was 4-2-2-2 formation against them/. So it worked against them and the 1st 25 minutes of their 1st half. 

2 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I used to feel like the 4-2-3-1 with one striker out wide and one defensive winger really straitjacketed us but at least there was some consistency to it and the players understood their jobs. 

I would especially with Dack back I think Mowbray will returned to 4-2-3-1 but keep the same style. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bennett when he has played right back for the club in 2 seasons has 4 assists. Nyambe has none as his assist came against Swansea when he played at Centre back this season. Bell has 3 assists with all 18/19 season. Williams has 2 assists with all in 18/19 season. Cunningham has 1 assist this season.  So that's is 10 assists within the 2 seasons. Stats are from Transfermarkt. 

Do you have a link, please? I'd be interested to see those stats.

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just highlights that Nyambe's game going forward isn't good enough

Fair enough. You keep highlighting it about wide players but my overall point that after 3.5 years here at the club we know for facts that Mowbray doesn't play with natural wingers. 

Would you play with wingers? 

chaddy you're spouting pure rubbish concerning Nyambe's ability to push forward...seen countless tines he skinned the opposing LB only to see his crosses go wanting cause we have no forwards in the middle...seems you playing the mowbray game of downgrading the lad cause you know he's off...

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I felt we played more of 4-2-3-1 against Reading back listening to the Rovers commentator last night it was 4-2-2-2 formation against them/. So it worked against them and the 1st 25 minutes of their 1st half. 

I would especially with Dack back I think Mowbray will returned to 4-2-3-1 but keep the same style. 

I feel pretty sure we played 4-3-3 vs reading. 

Travis  johnson  Rothwell

Brereton   Holtby   Armstrong 

With Holtby dropping into the hole In possession.

• Like 1

We definitely need at least one new centre back but I can only see an inferior replacement at best coming in probably on loan (or maybe a free) for Adarabioyo so there is a big worry that we will be defensively worse next season.

In terms of having a bit of competition, as far as I am concerned, Carter has proved that at this moment in time, he is well, well below what you need to play in the Championship. I have always got the impression that Mowbray is quite dismissive of Wharton, and if I had to guess, Carter will be here next season and Wharton wont. But I think you look at Wharton and he could only do what he has, stood out in a promotion team, got a player of the month award and seemingly has really made an impression there with his consistency:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/view-press-box-alternative-cobblers-awards-201920-season-2906657%3famp

"Not many loan signings prove as successful as Scott Wharton. Excellent and so consistent on the left side of Town's back three. A real classy prospect and one to keep an eye on for the future. Can Cobblers get him back next year?"

I think id much rather have him as 3rd choice certainly over Carter and indeed we know how bog standard Williams is.

Might even give Mowbray the chance to try another formation he loves, Wharton as the left of a three and Rankin Costello at right wing back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

He's another who's mostly been on a very good number here so he'd not leave that lightly.

I believe Mowbray likes 352 but he's not had the players for it. With Wharton coming back and the addition of a quality central midfielder and another footballing centre back, I think we can play Bell as a wing back (a bit less defensive responsibility), Travis, Whiteman Rothwell in the 3 with JR more attack minded...I'd like HC to play right wing back with Dack/ AA and Brereton up front.

Evans is a squad player, but can play in a 3

Edited by Sparks Rover

27 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I believe Mowbray likes 352 but he's not had the players for it. With Wharton coming back and the addition of a quality central midfielder and another footballing centre back, I think we can play Bell as a wing back (a bit less defensive responsibility), Travis, Whiteman Rothwell in the 3 with JR more attack minded...I'd like HC to play right wing back with Dack/ AA and Brereton up front.

Evans is a squad player, but can play in a 3

HC as in Harry Chapman, at right wing back?

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think its a myth that Bell is an effective attacking full/wing back. Nyambe is better going forward and its a weakness for him, Bell is the king of dithering.

Bell looks good going forward----quick and good control but there is rarely any end product. Surely that could be coached?

• Like 1