BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

But then they are diminishing the club by calling a solid pro, who’s done a good job in the lower leagues for us (been a favourite of mine since day 1), but still a fairly insignificant figure in the grand scheme of things a ‘club legend’ we are Blackburn Rovers, not Reading. 

That’s poor PR for me, but WTF do I know ?‍♂️

Yeah, fair point. I don't want people to link Danny Graham to Rovers legendary status I won't lie. There are a lot of worse things that could happen to us though.

I think he scored 50 goals, which isn't case for legendary status at any club, let alone a club steeped in history and success like Rovers. There's far more players above him in the pecking order like Jansen, Kevin Gallagher, Sutton and that's not even considering the actual players we'd consider legends.

Legend is becoming a too commonly used phrase to describe footballers relationships with clubs. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

But then they are diminishing the club by calling a solid pro, who’s done a good job in the lower leagues for us (been a favourite of mine since day 1), but still a fairly insignificant figure in the grand scheme of things a ‘club legend’ we are Blackburn Rovers, not Reading. 

That’s poor PR for me, but WTF do I know ?‍♂️

Agree, in my opinion he's been a lazy sod for the last 18 months, barely breaking into a sprint and not showing any real commitment,  apart frol a few tap ins.  Club legend my arse.

I think we should sign downing for another year under the assumption we change the way we use him. I feel he’d be a great bench option, good ball retention if we’re leading a game also option to bring on for good set piece deliveries and crosses if we need a plan b.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Agreed on Downing. He has undoubted quality but on the rare occasions we look decent is when we move the ball quickly through midfield and Downing always seems to take that extra touch.

100% and yes he keeps possession, but he has slowed down so many attacks by slowing the tempo down to league 2 level.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yeah, fair point. I don't want people to link Danny Graham to Rovers legendary status I won't lie. There are a lot of worse things that could happen to us though.

I think he scored 50 goals, which isn't case for legendary status at any club, let alone a club steeped in history and success like Rovers. There's far more players above him in the pecking order like Jansen, Kevin Gallagher, Sutton and that's not even considering the actual players we'd consider legends.

Legend is becoming a too commonly used phrase to describe footballers relationships with clubs. 

Then I suppose when you have the turn over of staff that we have, it’s probably not a surprise.

Warren Lucy, as an example, I assume runs the social media accounts and he’s a southern hired hand, who will see DG as part of the furniture, he’ll have no connection to our heritage or real awareness of who WE see as legends.

Agree with the decisions on contracts, Downing has a role albeit probably a more reduced one youd like to think. But has been a very good signing. The others, sadly for Graham who has been a good servant, need to be moved on. Gallagher and Brereton now need to push Armstrong, all 3 central strikers.

Just a shame that Bennett, Mulgrew and Johnson remain and are unshiftable.

My mate who is a Preston fan doesnt rate Ripley at all. Happy to see him go. Would be an easy link especially considering his dad and presumably coming in as number 2.

Then Warren Lucy is just another bloke at Rovers who is bad at his job. He probably doesn't have a clue about football though, and done a social media influencer course at an old polytech university. Now he is earning mid 20k a year to post absolute tripe on our social media page and has never bothered to look up our history. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a program in place which tells him about key dates and when to post what "throwback".

I won't get too angry at him for calling DG a club legend because it is Danny Graham but it isn't true. We name stands after legends, build statues for them and still sing their names even to this day - Danny Graham won't have a song for him even next season.

• Like 3

Then Warren Lucy is just another bloke at Rovers who is bad at his job. He probably doesn't have a clue about football though, and done a social media influencer course at an old polytech university. Now he is earning mid 20k a year to post absolute tripe on our social media page and has never bothered to look up our history. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a program in place which tells him about key dates and when to post what "throwback".

I won't get too angry at him for calling DG a club legend because it is Danny Graham but it isn't true. We name stands after legends, build statues for them and still sing their names even to this day - Danny Graham won't have a song for him even next season.

It’s astonishing how much of a reaction this has brought. Slagging off the media comms guy for a hashtag? No one is comparing him to Shearer. It’s just a tweet, pull yourself together.

DG has been a decent servant for the club and that says a lot when you consider some of the failures we’ve had through the door. Good luck to him.

• Like 4

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

It’s astonishing how much of a reaction this has brought. Slagging off the media comms guy for a hashtag? No one is comparing him to Shearer. It’s just a tweet, pull yourself together.

DG has been a decent servant for the club and that says a lot when you consider some of the failures we’ve had through the door. Good luck to him.

#decentservant, I like it!

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

My reaction has been contained to the BRFCS messageboard, of which I'm certain Danny Graham doesn't read or at least won't do from today.

If Warren Lucy is reading then he has had his first history lesson into Blackburn Rovers and with any luck won't be calling Elliott Bennett a club legend when he leaves on a free in 12 months time.

It wasn't at all meant in any seriousness by myself, and I'm sure Matty isn't going to go and picket the social media suite either, but more a discussion of how the phrase legend is too commonly banded about nowadays.

I'll pull myself together don't you worry 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya that would make sense except for the fact Mowbray first signed him on loan and then permanently. How you explain that bit to correlate with your theory? It doesn't really add up.  In the same way Mowbray signed Gallagher and sticks him on the wing, in the same way that Mowbray pays a relative fortune for Brereton and rarely plays him because, IMO, he's not good enough.  God knows what goes on in Mowbray's head!  

I bet if you asked the other players, they would also point to his attitude.  Chapman is like any other working individual, if you think you are being sh@t upon at work, you will feel a bit p1ssed off. 

I agree he is a talent, but that's half his problem. He doesn't think he has to do the hard work. This is where real man management comes in - understanding what makes an individual tick and we are all different; sadly, IMO, Mowbray has an absurd 'one size fits all' mantra.  Take the last couple of matches.  Lad comes on for a cameo against Reading.  Next match, Mowbray keeps him marooned on the bench.  IMO, shocking man management - it stinks.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, TheWeasel said:

I think we should sign downing for another year under the assumption we change the way we use him. I feel he’d be a great bench option, good ball retention if we’re leading a game also option to bring on for good set piece deliveries and crosses if we need a plan b.

His set pieces have been poor, Mulgrews were much better.

• Like 4

My reaction has been contained to the BRFCS messageboard, of which I'm certain Danny Graham doesn't read or at least won't do from today.

If Warren Lucy is reading then he has had his first history lesson into Blackburn Rovers and with any luck won't be calling Elliott Bennett a club legend when he leaves on a free in 12 months time.

It wasn't at all meant in any seriousness by myself, and I'm sure Matty isn't going to go and picket the social media suite either, but more a discussion of how the phrase legend is too commonly banded about nowadays.

I'll pull myself together don't you worry 

I wouldn’t worry. He pops up now and again does morten, usually to tell us how small a club we are, so similar approach today...

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

What?! Vale is nothing like head and shoulders above Butterworth ? Do you watch the Under 23’s? One is the youth team captain, playing across multiple seasons in multiple positions, scoring goals and creating things.

The other is a promising younger talent who’s scored less goals, created less chances and isn’t a leader on the pitch. 

There’s just zero evidence for the claim that Vale is ahead of Butterworth. None whatsoever. 

We all see things differently.

To me, Vale has that spark and in two years time will be at least two leagues higher than Butterworth.