BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I’ve been told they want a German left back called Harthez and Conor Ripley (son of Stuart) from PNE. May or may not be true. 

Well this has garnered surprisingly little attention compared to DG being misallocated the term 'legend'.

The profile you linked for Harthez shortly after doesn't look massively promising, but not a player I know. 'Aerial duels' and 'tackling' listed as his weaknesses. Well those are two of the main things I want from a LB. I don't care how good he is on the overlap if we remain porous at the back. It does say he is also a LW though. Plying his trade in the second tier in Germany at 27 isn't super promising either, but doesn't mean he isnt currently good enough.

Ripley seems an upgrade on Leuts and that'll do for now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Well this has garnered surprisingly little attention compared to DG being misallocated the term 'legend'.

The profile you linked for Harthez shortly after doesn't look massively promising, but not a player I know. 'Aerial duels' and 'tackling' listed as his weaknesses. Well those are two of the main things I want from a LB. I don't care how good he is on the overlap if we remain porous at the back. It does say he is also a LW though. Plying his trade in the second tier in Germany at 27 isn't super promising either, but doesn't mean he isnt currently good enough.

Likely to be the result of the 'famed European scouting structure' @Chaddyrovers keeps banging the drum about.

Might as well sack the lot and sit in an office at Ewood thumbing through the Argos catalogue of European footballers who are cheap and cheerful! 

Just now, bluebruce said:

Devils advocate on the German lad, it might just be a style of play thing, without necessarily meaning he's weak defensively. You could look at a player like Leighton Baines and arguably describe him in a pretty similar way, but you wouldn't say that he was overly suspect defensively either. 

Equally, he might just be no good.

Sorry to see Danny Graham go but it's the right decision. He's been really good for us and his contribution should never be underestimated. He seems like a great professional and a decent bloke. A nice interview here.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2020/july/danny-grahams-fond-farewell/

I'm not sorry to see the others go. Smallwood (in league one) aside they have contributed very little and had a few years of earning good money. I wouldn't keep Downing neither. His post lockdown from has been distinctly average and his wages could be put to better use.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Devils advocate on the German lad, it might just be a style of play thing, without necessarily meaning he's weak defensively. You could look at a player like Leighton Baines and arguably describe him in a pretty similar way, but you wouldn't say that he was overly suspect defensively either. 

Equally, he might just be no good.

After Ashley Cole, Leighton Baines has been England’s best left back in my era

23 minutes ago, Theaxe15 said:

So whoscored.com is being taken as gospel on all players now then? Maybe let's just wait and see if we are even in for this guy before we start DM'ing him on Twitter for the below par performances he hasn't made yet 

Jesus christ, no it's not 'being used as gospel', it's just all I had to go on for now. I'm aware of the limitations of that site. What's with the dramatic judgements on this board all the time? Can't have a discussion without it being assumed you've made your mind up and will hound a new player mercilessly for it.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Feel like it’s the right call for Graham to leave now. A good servant who linked up well with Dack and I’ll always have fond memories of.

’Legend’ is perhaps a stretch, but I’ve enjoyed having him wear our colours!

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Likely to be the result of the 'famed European scouting structure' @Chaddyrovers keeps banging the drum about.

Might as well sack the lot and sit in an office at Ewood thumbing through the Argos catalogue of European footballers who are cheap and cheerful! 

lol, I had to laugh when I read this. An American coach I admire said “nice guys finish last.” Not always true, but give me somebody who plays with passion & fire, and doesn’t apologize when he runs over you.

I would love to see a couple of backs come in who have bad attitudes and poor personal hygiene, and play junkyard dog mean. That’s what I’m talking about.

Edited by WacoRover

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Why, is Rudd not very good?

I suppose its all about levels.  If he was a upper championship goalie, that's where he would be.  At the moment he's in the same position as Jayson or young Easty.  I'd try Easty as a reserve and get a proper number 1 like Begovic

5 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I suppose its all about levels.  If he was a upper championship goalie, that's where he would be.  At the moment he's in the same position as Jayson or young Easty.  I'd try Easty as a reserve and get a proper number 1 like Begovic

Are you forgetting Hilton and Fischer? 

25 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

After Ashley Cole, Leighton Baines has been England’s best left back in my era

Leighton Baines is I player that I'd be having a chat with if I was Mowbray. He's out of contract at Everton and still hasn't signed a new one and one can only assume that is because he wants first team football which we can offer him and he is less likely to get that from a Premiership club. He'd be ideal for us not only is he a left back left back but he would bring some experience which the back line is crying out for.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Leighton Baines is I player that I'd be having a chat with if I was Mowbray. He's out of contract at Everton and still hasn't signed a new one and one can only assume that is because he wants first team football which we can offer him and he is less likely to get that from a Premiership club. He'd be ideal for us not only is he a left back left back but he would bring some experience which the back line is crying out for.

35 years old, played 13 games in two seasons. Great player in his prime but he’s way past that and he was never the quickest when he was a youngster, anyone with half a yard of pace would have a field day against him these days no matter what league it’s in. 

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

The club tweeted #rovers legend. Not too sure about that.

Words get devalued these days.

E.g. Channel 4's - and not just them, obvs. - definitely of 'Celebrity'. We haven't had a "Rovers' legend", since the 1990s, imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Butty said:

35 years old, played 13 games in two seasons. Great player in his prime but he’s way past that and he was never the quickest when he was a youngster, anyone with half a yard of pace would have a field day against him these days no matter what league it’s in. 

How old was Salgado when he signed? He did alright for us, other than against Gareth Bale, but you could say that about pretty much any right back in the World at that point.