BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

3 hours ago, Roverinbelfast said:

I'd have hendry in the legendary bracket. I absolutely loved watching him in a rovers shirt 

Not many players abused their body for a club like Hendry did for us, top of the pile. Blood sweat and tears. Absolute warrior

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

right decision by the club and Mowbray to not renew Graham or Samuel contracts. Aswell for Luetwiler, Hart and Smallwood. 

unsure on whether Downing should get a contract or not. 

Ha, not sure on Downing? Think we all know that you will agree with the clubs decision either way. Thats how you're programmed.

Go on, form an opinion of your own, it can be quite enlightening. Would you renew SD for another year?

• Like 4

Downing was my player of the season up to Christmas and was still in my top three up until the break for COVid. He’d have got another year no problems for me in the mindset that we’re going to focus on keepers and defenders...but the rumours about Whiteman have got me confused as to where on Earth we’re going to play all these midfielders.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JoeH said:

Could be deemed harsh on David Dunn, maybe even harsh on Tugay. But yes, the word legend is banded around too easily. My definition of legend is more related to how remembered somebody will be in let’s say 20 years time. For me, the likes of Tugay and Dunn (post 90’s) will be remembered. 

Obviously the likes of Danny Graham will not be discussed in 20 years time. 

I’m still discussing Oumar Konde so that logic doesn’t work ha ha 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Downing was my player of the season up to Christmas and was still in my top three up until the break for COVid. He’d have got another year no problems for me in the mindset that we’re going to focus on keepers and defenders...but the rumours about Whiteman have got me confused as to where on Earth we’re going to play all these midfielders.

Whiteman won't happen.

On Downing, like you say up until lockdown he was definitely worth another deal, looks to have been off the pace a bit since then though. It can easily happen to players of that age where there legs just seem to go overnight.

• Like 1

Good decisions on the released players, especially as I suspect that has reduced a big chunk of the wage bill.

Downing, I imagine it has come down to money. Presumably we have offered a reduced deal, or pay as you play but allowed him time to see if he can get a better deal?

Will be interesting what money is released back into new signings? With the fall out of Covid-19 and uncertain economy there will be an impact on season ticket sales and general attendances.

Id imagine we will have a slightly smaller squad (more academy players) and wait a little longer for any additions as players demands drop?

Edited by JPTSwindon

11 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Whiteman won't happen.

On Downing, like you say up until lockdown he was definitely worth another deal, looks to have been off the pace a bit since then though. It can easily happen to players of that age where there legs just seem to go overnight.

I don’t think his legs have gone. He’s not really that type of player. Doesn’t rely on his legs as such. I based all of these players coming to the end of their contract (Other than Leutwiler) on “Do they have a chance of playing in our first choice 11?” Downing is the only one who does. Graham a close second but the manager obv needs his £14m quartet to start firing.

Whether or not we sign Whiteman is irrelevant. The fact that we’re looking to sign a CM confuses me when you look at how many players we have AND that we’re still negotiating with Downing.

Trav, Evans, Johnson. Rothwell, Downing, Buckley, Davenport. That’s 6 players for 2 or 3 positions max. Something / someone has to give. I’m hoping it’s Evans or Johnson who make way.

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

Could be deemed harsh on David Dunn, maybe even harsh on Tugay. But yes, the word legend is banded around too easily. My definition of legend is more related to how remembered somebody will be in let’s say 20 years time. For me, the likes of Tugay and Dunn (post 90’s) will be remembered. 

Obviously the likes of Danny Graham will not be discussed in 20 years time. 

That's pretty much nailed it.

10 hours ago, Lucimo said:

I'll be hated for this but I think hendry was massively overrated. Sure he stuck his head in where it hurts but only to rectify his own mistakes a lot of the time. Now Berg, he was a legend!!!

Hendry was colossus don't talk crap he wasn't a ball playing center half and didn't pretend to be nor was he the quickest. Most of his stout robust defending was down to the fact he was first in because he had no pace. You're a bad judge of a 90's defender if you think he was overated.

Berg, ice cool loved the guy a class player but caught out himself plenty times anybody who keeps getting out jumped by Michael Owen needs to work on his timing.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

When you mention Parkes, which club do you think of. That for me is one of our legends too.

Parkes is just an outright club legend the type you name stands after and not just as a token gesture because of his recent situation either.

I never say him play but there's never been any doubt about his standing as Mr Blackburn, even though he's from Sheffield or somewhere ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Ha, not sure on Downing? Think we all know that you will agree with the clubs decision either way. Thats how you're programmed.

Go on, form an opinion of your own, it can be quite enlightening. Would you renew SD for another year?

Already explain the reasons why I unsure on him having a contract next season. 

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Was it? It has always seemed the same to me but then again, im not one for the over the top social media, the new player videos, the emojis, maybe I am old beyond my time though.

I am just wondering what sort of things people want/expect/enjoy on social media. Main reason I look at it is when teams are announced to be honest. I always found it odd when people gave so much praise to the twitter guy during the promotion season.

These days everything the club pumps out is very mundane. To some people this will sound like nothing but we’ve been using the blimin font for half a decade. We produce and publish the same thing on a weekly basis - almost like hitting a reset button, changing out the oppositions badge and going again.

A few years back things were a little different. More video content, different ideas tried. Take the carpool karaoke with Dack and Samuel way back when, that was a really good insight into those two and a proper good laugh around Christmas time. 

When it comes to the question of “what do you expect when it comes to the clubs media output?”. For me it comes down to a number of factors:

- Covering the first team in a fair and non-biased way. If we were crap, let’s not avoid that and beat around the bush. If we played well, go mental, show highlights and behind the scenes stuff etc..

- Producing content that’s different to the week before. The lack of creativity is astounding sometimes, and it really helps speed up the time until the next game if there’s some unique and non-repetitive content to consume.

- and finally Interaction. Currently the Rovers social media handle does absolutely bot all to try and interact with fans. Information isn’t related quickly enough, website links that get posted NEVER work, people who ask questions are ignored. It’s frustrating and should be addressed.

2 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

He was that wanker that saved a penalty against Antonsson, and started laughing at us. 

No thank you!!

Let you in on a secret. We want these cocky sods on our side.

No love lost between our fans and Dean Henderson in League One. Wouldn't be turning him down, would we?

Edited by CD_93
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Rumours being the operative word at this stage. Do you really see it as realistic that we spend a fairly considerable fee at all during this window? If we had one to spend and it was spent in central midfielder, to be fair the manager has history for defensive negligence but even so it would be surprising. 

Travis and Evans has to be our first choice partnership in midfield. We know that works well. Unsure why Evans would be one of your first to go.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-davenport-midfielder-progress-18590307.amp

Whilst I am yet to be convinced by Davenport. Mowbray said the other week that "We're not out there searching and scouring for another midfield player because we've already got the one that we need in the club." Maybe that Whiteman rumour is put to bed for now?

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Trav, Evans, Johnson. Rothwell, Downing, Buckley, Davenport. That’s 6 players for 2 or 3 positions max. Something / someone has to give. I’m hoping it’s Evans or Johnson who make way.

And only Travis is really up to standard for a side with top 6 aspirations. Evans you cannot rely upon although he might be useful at the start of this season because he is in need of a new contract. Johnson has the ability but his commitment has to be questioned, he has had a lot of poor performances and hasn't looked in shape all season. Davenport has been here two years and still not started a game, so that tells you what the manager thinks about him. Buckley is miles away from being ready for a side with top 6 Championship ambition. The best thing for him would be to go out on loan and get experience regularly playing men's football because at the moment he looks like a boy in a mans game. Rothwell I would much rather see in a more advanced role, for me his best position is coming in of the left hand side. As for Downing I wouldn't be giving him an extension, he was average a best this season and if we want to push on for the top 6 we would be better of spending the money spent on his wages elsewhere. If we are serious about making top 6 next season then central midfield is one of the positions that needs strengthening. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Rumours being the operative word at this stage. Do you really see it as realistic that we spend a fairly considerable fee at all during this window? If we had one to spend and it was spent in central midfielder, to be fair the manager has history for defensive negligence but even so it would be surprising. 

Travis and Evans has to be our first choice partnership in midfield. We know that works well. Unsure why Evans would be one of your first to go.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-davenport-midfielder-progress-18590307.amp

Whilst I am yet to be convinced by Davenport. Mowbray said the other week that "We're not out there searching and scouring for another midfield player because we've already got the one that we need in the club." Maybe that Whiteman rumour is put to bed for now?

Haha and THIS is why I’m so confused with the Whiteman link.

No reason to disbelieve @Sparks Rover. Would be really weird to imagine he’d made the relationship with Whiteman up AND the rumour. So I’m taking it pretty much as fact that those talks happened yesterday which basically confirms we have cash and are looking to buy a CM. This is big and confusing news for any Rovers fan ?

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Evans and Travis are a good partnership but can Evans really be relied on?

He spends a lot of time injured and only seems to go into full gear when a new contract is needed.

Doesn't seem like Mowbray rates Davenport either and with Johnson being poor since signing, I feel we do look weak in that area.

Agree that defence and goalkeeper should be the priority but wouldn't surprise me if Mowbray does want another midfielder

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roverinbelfast said:

That's your opinion. But I think it's way off the mark. Lol berg was good. Took him a while to settle if I remember correctly, but he always had a mistake in him. Personally I'd have Nelson and samba before berg

Hendry had far more mistakes in him, in my opinion. Nelsen was excellent I'll give you that and Samba very good. Berg is the only player to have won both the Premier league and league Cup with us. I know people say his managerial spell has tarnished his reputation. My response would be he wasn't given a transfer window to mould his own team. He was only able to bring in a loan player, Josh King, by all accounts many on here rated him highly. If he had been given the opportunity to bring in players of a similar calibre who knows what he could have done. Alas, he was caught in a war between directors/advisors who appeared to dislike each others choice of manager and pulled the trigger at a moments notice. 

• Like 1