BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Lucimo said:

Hendry had far more mistakes in him, in my opinion. Nelsen was excellent I'll give you that and Samba very good. Berg is the only player to have won both the Premier league and league Cup with us. I know people say his managerial spell has tarnished his reputation. My response would be he wasn't given a transfer window to mould his own team. He was only able to bring in a loan player, Josh King, by all accounts many on here rated him highly. If he had been given the opportunity to bring in players of a similar calibre who knows what he could have done. Alas, he was caught in a war between directors/advisors who appeared to dislike each others choice of manager and pulled the trigger at a moments notice. 

He sued the club which means his 2.5 million pay off is part of our overall debt. Guy I liked as a player but in the same catergory as Samba for me

Just now, Scotland1 said:

He sued the club which means his 2.5 million pay off is part of our overall debt. Guy I liked as a player but in the same catergory as Samba for me

The state of our club at the time and the way he was treated you can hardly blame him. I'd be more concerned about the love in for Hendry with his alleged misdemeanours. 

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Haha and THIS is why I’m so confused with the Whiteman link.

No reason to disbelieve @Sparks Rover. Would be really weird to imagine he’d made the relationship with Whiteman up AND the rumour. So I’m taking it pretty much as fact that those talks happened yesterday which basically confirms we have cash and are looking to buy a CM. This is big and confusing news for any Rovers fan ?

Im always skeptical of transfer rumours because 99% of the time they are false and Sparks Rovers even said that it might just be a meeting (ie not post budget agreement) because Mowbray said the night before that he has no clarity on the budget. Also Mowbray said hes not looking for a CM so must have been a change of mind in that regard. If you or anyone chooses to believe that there is a strong interest or that he likes the player I can understand, to then assume a decent transfer kitty seems a massive stretch to me. 

Regarding our need for a central midfielder, I dont discount that one might be useful, but certainly not a priority until defence and goalkeepers are sorted, plus a winger or 2, if there is any room left after that. Certainly no considerable fees there. I suspect it will be loans and frees considering the economic climate.

Just now, islander200 said:

Evans and Travis are a good partnership but can Evans really be relied on?

He spends a lot of time injured and only seems to go into full gear when a new contract is needed.

Doesn't seem like Mowbray rates Davenport either and with Johnson being poor since signing, I feel we do look weak in that area.

Agree that defence and goalkeeper should be the priority but wouldn't surprise me if Mowbray does want another midfielder

Evans injury problems are a concern although his last 2 have been unfortunate, fractured skull and broken toe. There is also Downing who is certainly no longer a wide man.

Agreed on priorities, I would be amazed and concerned if Mowbrays first signing was a central midfielder for a decent fee.

11 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Evans and Travis are a good partnership but can Evans really be relied on?

He spends a lot of time injured and only seems to go into full gear when a new contract is needed.

Doesn't seem like Mowbray rates Davenport either and with Johnson being poor since signing, I feel we do look weak in that area.

Agree that defence and goalkeeper should be the priority but wouldn't surprise me if Mowbray does want another midfielder

That's the problem, how many games could we realistically expect Evans to play? He always seems to get injured at crucial times when himself and the team are getting going. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's the problem, how many games could we realistically expect Evans to play? He always seems to get injured at crucial times when himself and the team are getting going. 

And he's a player whose performance really dips if he isn't fully fit in my view. To be fair to him he's won me over to a certain extent - a couple of years ago I'd have let his contract run out - but I think getting the best out of him means not trying to get him starting 3 games a week.

17 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

He won the case - and deserved to because the club had blatantly reneged on a contractual obligation.

He took charge of his first game without a contract, seemingly wasn’t bothered beforehand. He was another shyster making money from us and a crap manager to boot who’s gone on to achieve zilch.

18 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

The state of our club at the time and the way he was treated you can hardly blame him. I'd be more concerned about the love in for Hendry with his alleged misdemeanours. 

His alleged misdemeanours have jack shit to do with his ratings as a player, sounds like you've an axe to grind. Does he owe you money ?

13 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

And he's a player whose performance really dips if he isn't fully fit in my view. To be fair to him he's won me over to a certain extent - a couple of years ago I'd have let his contract run out - but I think getting the best out of him means not trying to get him starting 3 games a week.

He would be perfectly fine if there was literally any chance of him playing most of the games, like say Travis. Never happens though. 

36 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

And only Travis is really up to standard for a side with top 6 aspirations. Evans you cannot rely upon although he might be useful at the start of this season because he is in need of a new contract. Johnson has the ability but his commitment has to be questioned, he has had a lot of poor performances and hasn't looked in shape all season. Davenport has been here two years and still not started a game, so that tells you what the manager thinks about him. Buckley is miles away from being ready for a side with top 6 Championship ambition. The best thing for him would be to go out on loan and get experience regularly playing men's football because at the moment he looks like a boy in a mans game. Rothwell I would much rather see in a more advanced role, for me his best position is coming in of the left hand side. As for Downing I wouldn't be giving him an extension, he was average a best this season and if we want to push on for the top 6 we would be better of spending the money spent on his wages elsewhere. If we are serious about making top 6 next season then central midfield is one of the positions that needs strengthening. 

The way teams run through us when Travis isn't playing is staggering. 

We need a complete CM to partner with him, if we plan to push on from here.

I think Rothwell's best position is actually as a box-to-box CM. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

His alleged misdemeanours have jack shit to do with his ratings as a player, sounds like you've an axe to grind. Does he owe you money ?

His misdemeanours were more than "alleged" - he pleaded guilty to a charge of harassment of an ex-girlfriend. I would agree with you that that should not count against him in assessing his contribution as a player - which was outstanding.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Haha and THIS is why I’m so confused with the Whiteman link.

No reason to disbelieve @Sparks Rover. Would be really weird to imagine he’d made the relationship with Whiteman up AND the rumour. So I’m taking it pretty much as fact that those talks happened yesterday which basically confirms we have cash and are looking to buy a CM. This is big and confusing news for any Rovers fan ?

Talks happened, we have been family friends for many years...I've known Ben since he was 10 playing at Utd.  His mum told me about the meeting,  I'm trying to get some feedback on what happened. Will post if i get anything.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Bailey Wright that ex Bristol and PNE man set to sign for a Chinese club this week.

Between him and Balogun I doubt we’d get a better back up centre back at this level especially for free.

we don't need a back up centre back at this stage if Wharton is staying with us but having a good 1st choice centre back to partner Lenihan at centre back

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbray said the night before that he has no clarity on the budget. 

He said he hadn't have full clarity which is very different to no clarity. You would have hope that by now with us chasing players according to a couple of posters on here you would have to say he has been told his budget. 

10 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'd like to see us loan Davenport out though.

I have no idea why you are wanting to loan Davenport when he is going to play a fair amount of game and time next season. Evans's injury problems are well know so we will be needing him

2 hours ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

When you mention Parkes, which club do you think of. That for me is one of our legends too.

So true.

Passed Tony in the car a couple of times recently whilst he's been out walking - now walking with the aid of a stick and a carer (I assume).  It's so very sad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

we don't need a back up centre back at this stage if Wharton is staying with us but having a good 1st choice centre back to partner Lenihan at centre back

He said he hadn't have full clarity which is very different to no clarity. You would have hope that by now with us chasing players according to a couple of posters on here you would have to say he has been told his budget. 

I have no idea why you are wanting to loan Davenport when he is going to play a fair amount of game and time next season. Evans's injury problems are well know so we will be needing him

As I said, I think you are trying to read between the lines to see what you want to see. I read the quotes at face value, plus obviously we know what our disinterested and backwards owners are like.

Links and rumours are one thing but pretty meaningless at this stage. Some get excited about the merest whiff of a rumour which is fair enough. Even if there is truth in any of them, having no budget doesnt mean that Mowbray isnt interested in players anyway. Just that he is stuck in limbo.

One thing I am sure of is that central midfield is well, well down the list of priorities.

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Then it would seem to be a very small one!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wharton isn’t the level we should be looking at if we want top six.

Hes been in L2 man! I know you always like your say chaddy but come on be realistic the lad needs a L1 move to see if he can hack there.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

As I said, I think you are trying to read between the lines to see what you want to see. I read the quotes at face value, plus obviously we know what our disinterested and backwards owners are like.

Links and rumours are one thing but pretty meaningless at this stage. Some get excited about the merest whiff of a rumour which is fair enough. Even if there is truth in any of them, having no budget doesnt mean that Mowbray isnt interested in players anyway. Just that he is stuck in limbo.

NO that was his direct quote that "he hasn't had full clarity on it" that he told the LT. So not reading between the lines at all but clearly conservations have happened between the owners and Mowbray on the budget. 

If Mowbray had no budget but lining players up he would look stupid lining players up to signings. 

I doubt anyone is getting excited at all cos of couple of players been mention on here

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Wharton isn’t the level we should be looking at if we want top six.

Hes been in L2 man! I know you always like your say chaddy but come on be realistic the lad needs a L1 move to see if he can hack there.

In an ideal world perhaps, but due to the negligence around the defence, we only have one competent centre back. Undoubtedly need a partner of quality, difficult to find on minimal budget but without that we could struggle so I am sure it is a priority.

If we want to keep a young defender around the first team, it has to be Wharton. Not to start. Carter looked well off it in his dress rehearsal. No matter what Wharton did in League 2, as you suggest there is always a limit to what you can read from that, but a third promotion, individual awards, plenty of praise and a desire to keep him in League 1 suggests that he does have something.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we don't need a back up centre back at this stage if Wharton is staying with us but having a good 1st choice centre back to partner Lenihan at centre back  IMO, Wharton is nowhere near good enough for the Championship.  Lenihan misses a lot of games with injury - we need two very capable centre back signings.

He said he hadn't have full clarity which is very different to no clarity. You would have hope that by now with us chasing players according to a couple of posters on here you would have to say he has been told his budget.  Think Mowbray being diplomatic - can you imagine the furore if Mowbray had come out and said we still didn't know what our budget is.  Nothing to stop Mowbray talking to players and finding out whether they might be interested in coming here - he might need a replacement if Travis is sold (a sobering and realistic thought)!

I have no idea why you are wanting to loan Davenport when he is going to play a fair amount of game and time next season. Evans's injury problems are well know so we will be needing him.  Not sure who would take him.  Not even impressed me at U23 level.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Samba behaved like an arse at the end but it's easy for us who have been brought up in the welfare state to criticise blokes who maybe grew up not knowing where their next meal was coming from. From a playing point of view on his day the guy was a one man defence, a colossus. I'd put him behind Mike England, who is in a league of his own,  but in front of Nelsen, Henchoz, Hendrey etc.  Matt Woods was a real stalwart for Rovers back in the old days but you've got to be getting on a bit to have seen him play.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2