BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Samba behaved like an arse at the end but it's easy for us who have been brought up in the welfare state to criticise blokes who maybe grew up not knowing where their next meal was coming from. From a playing point of view on his day the guy was a one man defence, a colossus. I'd put him behind Mike England, who is in a league of his own,  but in front of Nelsen, Henchoz, Hendrey. etc Matt Woods was a real stalwart for Rovers back in the old days but you've got to be getting on a bit to have seen him play.

But now "Blackburn is home" ...(puke)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

IMO, Wharton is nowhere near good enough for the Championship.  Lenihan misses a lot of games with injury - we need two very capable centre back signings.

Think Mowbray being diplomatic - can you imagine the furore if Mowbray had come out and said we still didn't know what our budget is.  Nothing to stop Mowbray talking to players and finding out whether they might be interested in coming here - he might need a replacement if Travis is sold (a sobering and realistic thought)!

Not sure who would take him.  Not even impressed me at U23 level.

Lenihan played 37 games last season missing 6 games due to injury, 2 games due to suspension and 1 game due to his wife giving birth to his 1st child. So hardly alot of games is it? 

Mowbray didn't need to answer the question.

if Travis is sold? hinting at there Mercer? 

I think Davenport has been decent enough for the under 23's when I've watched. Not on the level of Travis who stood out in the games I've watched in the under 23's games in 17/18 season. Why he got his chance in first team before his sending off at Portsmouth. 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

we don't need a back up centre back at this stage if Wharton is staying with us but having a good 1st choice centre back to partner Lenihan at centre back

He said he hadn't have full clarity which is very different to no clarity. You would have hope that by now with us chasing players according to a couple of posters on here you would have to say he has been told his budget. 

I have no idea why you are wanting to loan Davenport when he is going to play a fair amount of game and time next season. Evans's injury problems are well know so we will be needing him

You need at least four centre backs that are all capable of holding down the position given we nearly always have two out on the pitch. Another reason is injuries and suspensions crop up regularly in those positions. Having a couple of kids waiting in the wings is always a plus as well. We have Lenihan for No1, we need a quality replacement for the lad we had from City for No2. Williams if he's staying could possibly be No3. If he's leaving we need another experienced player. Wharton could maybe be No4. We have several kids who could play the odd game in a pinch.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

His alleged misdemeanours have jack shit to do with his ratings as a player, sounds like you've an axe to grind. Does he owe you money ?

I never said they did. I never rated him before his misdemeanours. Berg was simply a better player. He has far more medals in his collection than Hendry. And by the way what has berg suing the club got to do with his achievements as a player. We clearly aren't going to agree, we are all entitled to our own opinions. And as someone has pointed out already this isn't the nostalgia thread so let's leave it there eh!! 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You need at least four centre backs that are all capable of holding down the position given we nearly always have two out on the pitch. Another reason is injuries and suspensions crop up regularly in those positions. Having a couple of kids waiting i the wings is always a plus as well. We have Lenihan for No1, we need a quality replacement for the lad we had from City for No2. Williams if he's staying could possibly be No3. If he's leaving we need another experienced player. Wharton could maybe be No4. We have several kids who could play the odd game in pinch.

Yes I agree we need 4 centre backs. I feel that we need an quality centre back in 1st next to Lenihan for the 1st team partnership before we start looking at back centre backs. Would you agree? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Samba behaved like an arse at the end but it's easy for us who have been brought up in the welfare state to criticise blokes who maybe grew up not knowing where their next meal was coming from. 

Samba was born and raised in Paris...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You need at least four centre backs that are all capable of holding down the position given we nearly always have two out on the pitch. Another reason is injuries and suspensions crop up regularly in those positions. Having a couple of kids waiting i the wings is always a plus as well. We have Lenihan for No1, we need a quality replacement for the lad we had from City for No2. Williams if he's staying could possibly be No3. If he's leaving we need another experienced player. Wharton could maybe be No4. We have several kids who could play the odd game in pinch.

You have to be realistic though when it comes to finances. We can't afford to have four Championship quality starting CBs on the books. Not without sacrificing squad depth elsewhere. 

I'd be happy with Lenihan, A.N. Other, Williams, Wharton and Carter as our CB 5. Carter being primed for a loan if the opportunity arises.

Backups on this team HAVE to come from the Academy. I think people both overestimate the quality of the Championship and underestimate the ability of our Academy graduates. 

The way a club like us gets out of this league is by having a quality first 11, on good wages, with MOST of the remaining 14 first team places taken up by cheap journeymen (as I don't trust our scouting network to find cheap prospects)  / Academy prospects.

Not to mention the metrics of Wharton having gone away, winning promotion from L2, playing nearly 90 professional games by 22, and being told "thanks, but no thanks" are terrible. Why would you send your kid to Rovers if that's how they treat their graduates? We're in an absolute cloggers league, not the Premier League. He deserves a chance to fail. 

• Like 3

I totally agree that we need to get into a position whereby our academy graduates are not only providing assets (Travis, Lenihan, Nyambe, Raya) but also padding out the squad to a degree too. I also agree that the league is

But I would actually say that people overcompensate for our academy graduates at times which I can totally appreciate.

Take Rankin Costello. He has been ok at left back, a role he admittedly is not used to. In terms of stand out qualities, I havent seen much. No crosses that I can remember bar mishit ones. Bit of naivety sliding around in the build up to one of Readings goals, but again, not a full back. But he seems to be right in strong contention for man of the match by many. Would that be the case if he wasnt an academy graduate breaking in? Not sure. Think hes one who can provide competition as you alude to, out wide as his natural position. We are still a little in the dark as to how much impact he can have there.

Also take Carter. If a senior player put in the performance he did, he would have been absolutely slated and rightly so. All over the shop. Im all for having more patience but for me it showed that hes not ready yet. Wharton hasnt proven that he is ready playing in League 2 but regularly excelling there, standing out, surely he is well above of Carter at the moment. Because he isnt on the inner circle on terms of having gone out on loan, he shouldnt be forgotten about. 

Buckley is maybe a little more complex, he seems to be like marmite, due to his lack of physicality. Hes victim of his position at the moment. That being said, understandably I think he would evoke more patience/praise than say a Holtby for a similar performance.

I suspect that it is unrealistic to expect a further sudden surge of academy graduates all breaking through next season. We are already very reliant on our academy in fairness.

Maybe sometimes we underappreciate our more experienced players at times. For example, Evans despite his good performances and relationship with Travis, has almost been written off. Davenport seems the flavour of the month. Downing again, written off.

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Talks happened, we have been family friends for many years...I've known Ben since he was 10 playing at Utd.  His mum told me about the meeting,  I'm trying to get some feedback on what happened. Will post if i get anything.

Fair enough. Like I said, once you mentioned it I took it completely on face value. Why would you lie.

Its interesting though. Says to me that there is money to spend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucimo said:

I never said they did. I never rated him before his misdemeanours. Berg was simply a better player. He has far more medals in his collection than Hendry.

This one really pisses me off when it pops up. Who gives a shit how many medals he has? I bet David May, in fact most of that United team of the 90s, have more medals than Shearer. But Fergie would have given his left bollock to have had Shearer.

How many keepers have more medals than Friedel but aren't half the goalie? Le Tissier doesn't have any. It's a bollocks way to measure individual players because it's a team game. You compare teams of a given era by their trophies, not players.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Fair enough. Like I said, once you mentioned it I took it completely on face value. Why would you lie.

Its interesting though. Says to me that there is money to spend.

I think if you add all the wages up of the players who just left it should leave headroom for a couple of shrewd signings sub 10k per week.

I'm not sure he's getting much up front money off Venkys this time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I totally agree that we need to get into a position whereby our academy graduates are not only providing assets (Travis, Lenihan, Nyambe, Raya) but also padding out the squad to a degree too. I also agree that the league is

But I would actually say that people overcompensate for our academy graduates at times which I can totally appreciate.

Take Rankin Costello. He has been ok at left back, a role he admittedly is not used to. In terms of stand out qualities, I havent seen much. No crosses that I can remember bar mishit ones. Bit of naivety sliding around in the build up to one of Readings goals, but again, not a full back. But he seems to be right in strong contention for man of the match by many. Would that be the case if he wasnt an academy graduate breaking in? Not sure. Think hes one who can provide competition as you alude to, out wide as his natural position. We are still a little in the dark as to how much impact he can have there.

Also take Carter. If a senior player put in the performance he did, he would have been absolutely slated and rightly so. All over the shop. Im all for having more patience but for me it showed that hes not ready yet. Wharton hasnt proven that he is ready playing in League 2 but regularly excelling there, standing out, surely he is well above of Carter at the moment. Because he isnt on the inner circle on terms of having gone out on loan, he shouldnt be forgotten about. 

Buckley is maybe a little more complex, he seems to be like marmite, due to his lack of physicality. Hes victim of his position at the moment. That being said, understandably I think he would evoke more patience/praise than say a Holtby for a similar performance.

I suspect that it is unrealistic to expect a further sudden surge of academy graduates all breaking through next season. We are already very reliant on our academy in fairness.

Maybe sometimes we underappreciate our more experienced players at times. For example, Evans despite his good performances and relationship with Travis, has almost been written off. Davenport seems the flavour of the month. Downing again, written off.

Rankin-Costello has looked OK playing out of position because our manager hasn't managed his squad / finances correctly and he's been asked to do a job there. I've seen enough of his passing and vision in the final third to suggest there's a player there. He's also one of those squad players I've alluded to - you can't pencil him in to the starting XI, but he's one of those cheap 14 players you have who come into the team during a two-game week or a cup run (or of course injuries). 

Carter should absolutely go out on loan to get senior games under his belt, but he didn't look as poor as some on here have suggested. We conceded 6 goals in 2 games with him playing at CB, but that was without the aid of a proper LB and an actual GK behind him. He's a big, strong, athletic player - we can't afford to throw those away because they're not the final product at 21.

Buckley isn't athletic enough to make it in this league as a CM - not with his current level of skill. He's going to get bullied every week. I don't think he's fast enough to play AML or AMR, so that leaves him fighting for Dack's role. He's worth keeping around to see if he develops as a cheap option. I'd argue Holtby is allowed to drift through games because of his 'pedigree' (3 caps for Germany, don't you know!).

Evans is an expensive squad player. Only consistently performs when it's contract re-negotiation time and isn't really anything more than a water carrier when he is on form. 

Downing isn't a CM - he doesn't have the vision or range of passing to pull the strings there, nor the tackling or positioning to break up attacks. I was fine with him as an option on the left hand side (AML or emergency LB), but I'd let him walk if the plan is to play him at CM. Especially considering he won't be cheap. 

We are reliant on our Academy, which is great - it's one of the few things that keeps me interested in this Rovers team. Where we need to make the jump is by a) settling on a formation and b) bringing in some proper senior pros for the starting XI at GK, LB, CB and CM (transfers or loans, I'm not fussed). We'd see a marked difference in the standard of play / results with those two things happening. 

According to someone I was speaking to this morning we're after Chris Brunt. Not for me personally as he's 36 in December but the source thought this was an indication we had no money.

Also if the source is correct Downing has been on very healthy money here indeed so I'd have thought he'd need to agree a massive cut to be here next season.

I'd steer clear of both personally.

Regarding Wharton, he’s now played over 100 games in the Football League, largely for promotion chasing teams in L2. When Coyle threw him into the side he was raw and if I remember correctly debuted against Burton in a 2-2 (Sam Gallagher getting his first goal for us in that match). He wasn’t ready then, but there have been many other lower league defenders who have stepped up to the Championship and excelled. Maybe time for Wharton to get his chance 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

According to someone I was speaking to this morning we're after Chris Brunt. Not for me personally as he's 36 in December but the source thought this was an indication we had no money.

Also if the source is correct Downing has been on very healthy money here indeed so I'd have thought he'd need to agree a massive cut to be here next season.

I'd steer clear of both personally.

He hasn't just read this masterpiece of an article ?

https://the72.co.uk/182030/five-players-tony-mowbray-could-target-for-blackburn-rovers/

One of the players suggest there is Chris Brunt. (and Jason Steele ?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucimo said:

I never said they did. I never rated him before his misdemeanours. Berg was simply a better player. He has far more medals in his collection than Hendry. And by the way what has berg suing the club got to do with his achievements as a player. We clearly aren't going to agree, we are all entitled to our own opinions. And as someone has pointed out already this isn't the nostalgia thread so let's leave it there eh!! 

You were the one dragging Henry's private matters into it because of your notion that he was overrated which is ridiculous. You were also the one who decided to compare him to Berg when they were different types of players you'd never get Berg playing as a striker for a start.  

Big Col also got the treble in his top level swansong at Rangers which isn't bad. Just comes across as sour grapes from you towards him for some reason and a bit more than just a player opinion.

So yeah leave it there now the records straight... EH !!!

Edited by tomphil

4 hours ago, Swanson said:

https://the72.co.uk/182030/five-players-tony-mowbray-could-target-for-blackburn-rovers/

Awful names on that list. Steele..

Murphy would be good option from that list but doubt we could afford his wages. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Lol.

No, I don't think he had seen it. I certainly hadn't.

My ears are ringing from the deafening sound of an extremely deep barrel being scraped. It would be the ultimate piss take if having replaced Steele because he wasn't good enough we ended up with him again three years later. 

• Like 3

If they resigned Steele that would be an Owen Coyle level piss take although i think we could very well end up with someone not even as good as Walton.

Another completely ridiculous situation to be in under this present set up.

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If they resigned Steele that would be an Owen Coyle level piss take although i think we could very well end up with someone not even as good as Walton.

Another completely ridiculous situation to be in under this present set up.

I’d even take Walton over Steele and I think he’s bloody useless!

• Like 2