BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

22 minutes ago, Mercer said:

IMO, looking at cheaper replacements for players to be sold!

Think there's a good chance Travis is off if we are looking at Whiteman - would net Rovers a couple of £million or so.

So whiteman talks have come from a good source? With the fee mentioned I agree with what your saying, only Travis would command that fee, It contradicts Mowbrays comments on not needing another midfielder, maybe we do

17 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'm not a big one for decrying injustices, but that Tugay was not included in the BBCs "best Premier League players to never play for the big six" (Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, Man Utd) is up there with best of them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52440999

Bizarrely David Batty was in there. And ludicrously Shearer wasn't - and he was on the panel! I suppose they thought it would be uncomfortable to have a Shearer love in with him in the room.

I wouldn't have swapped Tugay for any of those in there. Though choosing between him and Le Tissier would have been a tough one.

Also while being bitchy how can Spurs be in the "big six" when they've not actually won the Prem or FA cup in the whole Premier League era?

The Spanish love Le Tis, most of them say he’s the best English player ever. One club does a kind of presentation every year which he attends, because he was a one club man and a great player, and xavi and iniesta both said he was their favourite player growing up.

As for Tuggers, ferguson said he’s the best he’d ever seen outside the so called top clubs and would have signed him if he’d noticed him in his earlier years, says it all about tuggers. Mark noble also once said tuggers was the best midfielder he’s ever played against. 

Edited by AAK
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I liked David Batty a lot, I thought he was a better player than Sherwood and he had to play second fiddle to him most of the time. Batty and Tugay in central midfield ? That really would have been something to behold.

Battys lad is at hull played allot of games this year and looks a handy lad. Signed a one year extension but I’d keep an eye on him.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Why the supposed interest in Whiteman then when we have other huge priorities like 2 goalies and 2 centre backs !?!?

It's a fair point why there is interest in him. Don't know if he a similar player to Travis..

I agree the priority should be 2 keepers with 1st choice centre back and a first choice left back. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

IMO, looking at cheaper replacements for players to be sold!

Think there's a good chance Travis is off if we are looking at Whiteman - would net Rovers a couple of £million or so.

I'd hunt Mowbray down and hit him with Waggott's decapitated head if they sold Travis for a couple of million.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'd hunt Mowbray down and hit him with Waggott's decapitated head if they sold Travis for a couple of million.

I said a net £2million or so, for example Travis sold for say £3.5million, Whiteman bought for say £1.5million.

Illustrative numbers only.

Edited by Mercer

Just now, Mercer said:

I said a net £2million or so for example Travis sold for say £3.5million, Whiteman bought for say £1.5million.

Ah that's different. Then I would only slap him with Waggott's severed hand.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I liked David Batty a lot, I thought he was a better player than Sherwood and he had to play second fiddle to him most of the time. Batty and Tugay in central midfield ? That really would have been something to behold.

Watched all of the Rovers Rewind events during lockdown. Nice to see stuff with fresh eyes.

Every game Batty was on the pitch he absolutely bossed it. Quality footballer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I said a net £2million or so, for example Travis sold for say £3.5million, Whiteman bought for say £1.5million.

Illustrative numbers only.

If we have any aspirations of getting promoted, selling Travis for such a paltry amount can't be the plan. 

He needs a midfield partner.

I'd much rather see the back of Evans, Downing and Johnson.

• Like 2

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

If we have any aspirations of getting promoted, selling Travis for such a paltry amount can't be the plan. 

If Evans has any residual value at all then we need to recoup and invest that (and his considerable wages) into someone that can play more than 20 games a season.

He’s looked good at times next to Travis, and as an international with good pedigree he’d be easy to move on. 

But we never get five games in a row out of him.

Lad’s got a glass back.

• Like 2

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

So would I!

The point I'm making is that, IMO, it makes little sense to buy Whiteman, given obvious other priorities, unless Mowbray knows Travis has to be sold.  If this is the case, and given we would need to pay a fee for Whiteman (between £1million and £1.5million muted), it would suggest Mowbray would be allowed to utilise part of any transfer fees received.

If Mowbray does have a budget and he doesn't need to sell, I'm buggered if I know why he wants another midfielder!

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Christ I just thought about how much money that would save us. Probably 50-60k a week*. Up to 3 million a year. Enough to pay Whiteman's fee and wages just in the first year with money to spare.

And Johnson is a liability (cracking maybe 20 percent of the time, useless or worse the other 80). Downing has started to fade and may get worse over the next year. Evans has done well when played this season but has shown inconsistency in the past and injury-proneness in the always.

If Whiteman is as good as Sparks says, or we got another player who is, I wouldn't say we would really miss them. We also still have a whole batch of others who can or do play there, in reserve.

* Unless SD's new deal is on far far less than the last one

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Bloody hell, we just shouldn't be looking at centre mids at all. It's so depressing we are.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Could do worse than Leighton Baines if Cunningham isn't coming back for some reason.  Im sure stopping in the north west would help.

North west or no, some lower prem/parachute team will still be willing to throw the best part of 40k a week at Leighton Baines.

Wont happen.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We only have one consistently good one. Of course we should be looking at CMs. 

We have way too much of our squad concentrated there. We have no defence to speak of. We have no goalies at all. We have nobody who can actually play this wide striker thing TM insists on well (or if we do, putting him there leaves us with zero consistently good strikers). We have no real budget.

We shouldn't be looking at CMs unless we can clear some out. Which we should try to do if at all possible. Even if we shifted Johnson I'd still see CM as the last position for us to look to.

One consistently good CM is more than most areas of the pitch have.

• Like 1