BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

38 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

The first players through the door should be a first team keeper and a CB considering we lost Walton and Tosin.

Agreed but we do need a tough bastard in the middle of the park, to replace the waste of a wage that is B.Johnson.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Different style of player entirely. Regarding Okocha and Le Tissier a pal of mine had been a top youth player and later a scout for City. He had a saying - " A team of Bobby Charlton's wouldn't win anything because they'd never have the ball ". Teams needed ball winners just as much as they need flair players.

As was proved by the documentary about the 1966 World Cup winners, repeated on BBC2 last night.

It also had a lovely little - non-footballing - story about John Connelly on that Saturday evening in 1966!? 

4 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Agreed but we do need a tough bastard in the middle of the park, to replace the waste of a wage that is B.Johnson.

Travis does this already. I think we need more ability in CM to play next to him. 

• Like 1

If they are targeting CM yet again then it's a scary insight into the managers muddled thinking. "I know what's wrong"   well that ain't it my old son.

I don't think anyone would argue if they brought a good one in and maybe got rid of Johnson and possibly even Holtby. If any signings are made there though it's likely to be just another body and yet another option to rotate around. Groundhog day in other words.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

I'm still waiting for someone to tell us how we cover the several million pound hole through loss of income from this season ?

Many clubs will have to calculate this and why transfer fees this close season will be nowhere near what some people on here are estimating.

There is no way our players will fetch what some on here are dreaming off. Getting the high earners off the wage bill will be a priority just to limit this blackhole.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Summer 2019 - Sold Raya, no replacement comes in.

Summer 2020 - Hopes Raya gets promoted or sold (again), so we can get a replacement in. The world of Blackburn Rovers ladies and gents.

Something i touched on before this kind of thing could become the norm here now. Sell academy graduate's for a couple of million after they've established themselves in the first team because you need that regular cash injection. Then hope to benefit down the line from another transfer after another club has paid them better wages for more games at a better standard.

Crafty way of dealing with a conveyor belt of young talent whilst you prop your own squad up with cheapo's and freebies. And of course in the middle are the % men.

Edited by tomphil

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Something i touched on before this kind of thing could become the norm here now. Sell academy graduate's for a couple of million after they've established themselves in the first team because you need that regular cash injection. Then hope to benefit down the line from another transfer after another club has paid them better wages for more games at a better standard.

Crafty way of dealing with a conveyor belt of young talent whilst you prop your own squad up with cheapo's and freebies. And of course in the middle are the % men.

A work colleague of mine supports Barnsley and this is what they do.

He states that no one will pay mega bucks for a Barnsley player, so they sell with add ons.

John Stones went to Everton for £3 million then was sold to Man City, the add on payments to Barnsley were over double what they sold him for.

Edited by Dave S
  • Like 3

Just now, Dave S said:

He states that no one will pay mega bucks for a Barnsley player, so they sell with add ons.

John Stones went to Everton for £3 million then was sold to Man City, the add on payment to Barnsley was over double what they sold him for.

Not a bad system if you can churn out enough talent but it's not good if it comes at the price of hindering the first team.  The whole idea should be to build a side for promotion but i fear water treading and that kind of system suits some people better.

I'd much prefer to harness the talent as long as possible to try and push us forwards then try and keep the sales to one big one every 2 or 3 years. As you say though with Barnsley i think we will be similar now more of a feeder club.

Not sure if they are backed by billionaires though ?

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

If they are targeting CM yet again then it's a scary insight into the managers muddled thinking. "I know what's wrong"   well that ain't it my old son.

I don't think anyone would argue if they brought a good one in and maybe got rid of Johnson and possibly even Holtby. If any signings are made there though it's likely to be just another body and yet another option to rotate around. Groundhog day in other words.

Not really mate. Players are signed as and when they become available not in order of importance. We’re not playing Fifa.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Probably rollocks, but Tony’s dropped a big one either way: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12222563/arsenal-city-summer-transfer-brentford-raya/

If that is true, I am not the type of guy to say I told you so but I TOLD YOU SO. Not you specifically but the likes of Sparks that has never rated Raya. 

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Not a bad system if you can churn out enough talent but it's not good if it comes at the price of hindering the first team.  The whole idea should be to build a side for promotion but i fear water treading and that kind of system suits some people better.

I'd much prefer to harness the talent as long as possible to try and push us forwards then try and keep the sales to one big one every 2 or 3 years. As you say though with Barnsley i think we will be similar now more of a feeder club.

Not sure if they are backed by billionaires though ?

With Barnsley they don't have much debt but the owners won't spend. 

Last season they sold both centre backs and were nearly relegated.

Liam Lindsey to Stoke for £2 miilion plus and Ethan Pinnock to Brentford who cost £500k for £3 million.

Similar in a way to when Rovers sold Duffy and Hanley in the same closed season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave S said:

John Stones went to Everton for £3 million then was sold to Man City, the add on payments to Barnsley were over double what they sold him for.

That’s exactly where we are as a club now. Unless we can get right into that top 4 teams when PL teams will begin looking....as they have with Brentford.

Raya is going to benefit from this. Not because he’s any better than he was when he left but because his profile is raised. Imo the link to Arsenal is likely from his agent to get him an improved deal.

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Not really mate. Players are signed as and when they become available not in order of importance. We’re not playing Fifa.

Which is flawed in itself even you can see that but that's the world we live in.

Just now, JacknOry said:

If that is true, I am not the type of guy to say I told you so but I TOLD YOU SO. Not you specifically but the likes of Sparks that has never rated Raya. 

Yes what a brilliant piece of work that was. Undermines Tony it it happens (fingers crossed).

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

But if we NEED a keeper and only have enough money for one player then the keeper becomes essential while an additional midfielder becomes a luxury. Same rule if playing FIFA or in real life.

It can be arugued that Smallwood out creates a space in midfield but only if the player is better than the already bulging midfield dept. More need clearing unless this has been budgeted for well before this pandemic.

• Like 4

Just now, Dave S said:

With Barnsley they don't have much debt but the owners won't spend. 

Last season they sold both centre backs and were nearly relegated.

Liam Lindsey to Stoke for £2 miilion plus and Ethan Pinnock to Brentford who cost £500k for £3 million.

Similar in a way to when Rovers sold Duffy and Hanley in the same closed season.

Except we added to our debt by getting in a manager and several players who were almost guaranteed to rubber stamp relegation.

Doubt Barnsley would have gone anywhere near Wes Brown let alone given him 10 grand per week.

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Could do worse than Leighton Baines if Cunningham isn't coming back for some reason.  Im sure stopping in the north west would help.

I think the second choice Douglas at Leeds may be a better option. May be able to get him on a season loan like Cunningham was this year too. 

4 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

So we do have a sell on fee?

No. There's a promotion clause but absolutely no sell on fee. Asked a few reporters and many have confirmed this. Shocking transfer business from the club.

Just now, tomphil said:

Which is flawed in itself even you can see that but that's the world we live in.

How so? Surely goes like this...Ok guys we are looking for two keepers a cb, a lb and a Cm. The total budget is x and the allocated budget for each position is roughly a, b and c. Here’s a list of players we’ve scouted in each position with choices 1-?.

Then it’s a case of who comes available first with the ultimate goal to cover all the positions. ??‍♂️

• Like 1