BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Selling Travis would be a travis-ty.

All jokes aside, it actually would. He has been our best player this season and has shown a willingness in midfield we haven't seen in a while. I remember a while ago somebody posted the estimated contracted salaries for each player and Travis was rock bottom, way behind the likes of Evans and Johnson. If the business decision made is to sell him and keep them two then Mowbray needs to have his head checked.

Get rid of Johnson, use the wages saved from the rest to bring in Whiteman, have 3 good central midfielders and then look at bolstering the positions we need (GK, CB, LB).

It makes no financial sense to sell Lewis Travis, when you can no doubt bring a bigger fee for Armstrong or Dack if that is what is required, and we would save more on wages.

True, but you can only sell who you have had offers for.

• Like 3

Just now, rigger said:

True, but you can only sell who you have had offers for.

Not this lot, rigger. You can be sure that every name worth a quid has been hawked around. You'd be right if we were a normal club, who wanted to keep their players and build, but unfortunately we know we are always one summer away from an absolute mad one where we see key players leave and replaced with pennies and buttons players who are either 3 years past their retirement date or eager to catch a last pay day. I can't ever get that idea out of my head during the transfer window.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You wouldn't want to sell Travis at all, but think most of us knew we would have to sell one of our 4 best players(Armstrong, Dack, Travis, Lenihan) this summer. 

Wonder if we already have an offer in from PL club for Travis? 

Travis is in Spain on holiday according to his Instagram. 

Is Whiteman a similar type of player to Travis? 

I would be looking at Josh Cullen from West Ham who was on loan at Charlton to replace Travis if he goes. 

How do we know that when we don't know what the budget is?

Setting out on the summer with the intention of selling your best players when you're already short of a keeper and defence and have just released 5 players.

It really does make me wonder sometimes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Anyone get the feeling that we’re speaking Whiteman in case we sell Travis?

I think any finances for purchases will have to come from somewhere. The players released have freed some wages but I suspect this will be absorbed by free transfers and loan signings. So I will be amazed that any signings for cash won't result in transfers out. Looking at our squad, with Dack still injured, I can only see Lenihan, Travis and Armstrong as assets that will bring money in. Even then I still cant see any of them bringing in £5 million at this present time. In past seasons maybe the sale of one would be enough but I fear all 3 maybe sold just to balance the books.

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

How do we know that when we don't know what the budget is?

Setting out on the summer with the intention of selling your best players when you're already short of a keeper and defence and have just released 5 players.

It really does make me wonder sometimes.

All we don't know what his budget is don't mean Mowbray has been told it by now. Mowbray quotes from his post Luton game interview where he said he hasn't had full clarity on it. So discussions have taken place with the owners on the budget. 

If we have to sell one player to reuse the money to improve the squad. 

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

That’s exactly where we are as a club now. Unless we can get right into that top 4 teams when PL teams will begin looking....as they have with Brentford.

Raya is going to benefit from this. Not because he’s any better than he was when he left but because his profile is raised. Imo the link to Arsenal is likely from his agent to get him an improved deal.

I think he has improved - from what I've seen, a more mature, rounded and confident performer.  Surprising what good coaching and management does for you! 

Think the Arsenal link is because of the goalie coach who went from Brentford to Arsenal.

5 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I think any finances for purchases will have to come from somewhere. The players released have freed some wages but I suspect this will be absorbed by free transfers and loan signings. So I will be amazed that any signings for cash won't result in transfers out. Looking at our squad, with Dack still injured, I can only see Lenihan, Travis and Armstrong as assets that will bring money in. Even then I still cant see any of them bringing in £5 million at this present time. In past seasons maybe the sale of one would be enough but I fear all 3 maybe sold just to balance the books.

Think we would still get more than 5 million for Armstrong personally,be looking closer to ten.

I get your point about covid changing the football landscape but every transfer story I read average players are still getting linked with moves for silly prices,that Grant at Huddersfield being linked with a 15 million move being one of them.

Armstrong is on the back of a cracking season,is young and English which adds to his transfer value.

King will move on from Bournemouth this summer so we should get a bit of money from that deal and hopefully get something for Raya either by them getting promoted or him being sold, should give us a little bit of money to spend

Just now, islander200 said:

Think we would still get more than 5 million for Armstrong personally,be looking closer to ten.

I get your point about covid changing the football landscape but every transfer story I read average players are still getting linked with moves for silly prices,that Grant at Huddersfield being linked with a 15 million move being one of them.

Armstrong is on the back of a cracking season,is young and English which adds to his transfer value.

King will move on from Bournemouth this summer so we should get a bit of money from that deal and hopefully get something for Raya either by them getting promoted or him being sold, should give us a little bit of money to spend

Armstrong is the one player I would want to Keep. He is the best striker at the club and his best seasons in terms of goals have come under Mowbray, so If I was Mowbray I would be given Armstrong a new long term contract as a major priority. 

Some crazy figure being branding about for average players 

Edited by chaddyrovers

50 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Been posting that for the last few days - the only thing that makes sense to me.

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You wouldn't want to sell Travis at all, but think most of us knew we would have to sell one of our 4 best players(Armstrong, Dack, Travis, Lenihan) this summer. 

Wonder if we already have an offer in from PL club for Travis? 

Travis is in Spain on holiday according to his Instagram. 

Is Whiteman a similar type of player to Travis? 

I would be looking at Josh Cullen from West Ham who was on loan at Charlton to replace Travis if he goes. 

IMO, should read at least one....................!

If there are sell ons for likes of Raya and King, I think there's a very good chance that money would be winging its way back to Pune to offset what's been, IMO, spunked up the wall on Brereton and Gallagher.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong is the one player I would want to Keep. He is the best striker at the club and his best seasons in terms of goals have come under Mowbray, so If I was Mowbray I would be given Armstrong a new long term contract as a major priority. 

Some crazy figure being branding about for average players 

Yeah I'd like to keep Armstrong aswell but if money is needed this summer then I think he would be the one we would get the most money for

I also have reservations about Armstrong playing the lone front man role as when Dack is back I don't know if they will work too well together if we revert back to playinh 4-2-3-1.Imo to get the best out of Dack he needs be playing behind someone who can hold the ball up and bring others into play Armstrong isn't strong at either of those things.

Moore from Wigan I'd be looking to bring inIV been critical  of him in the past but last couple of seasons he has really improved and looks a bargain at the 2 million being mentioned.

In an ideal world I'd be signing a target man and putting Armstrong back as one of the wide forwards if Dack is to come back as the main man 

58 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Did he not try to bring in Reed last summer's deadline day and we were linked with a midfielder from the states too if I remember correctly?Looks like a midfielder been on his list for a bit

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

All we don't know what his budget is don't mean Mowbray has been told it by now. Mowbray quotes from his post Luton game interview where he said he hasn't had full clarity on it. So discussions have taken place with the owners on the budget. 

We've heard all this before. 

We know from experience that money generated from sales will not be fully reinvested into the squad. Even if it is Mowbray's record spending money is terrible.

We also know from the Raya fiasco that we are likely to source inferior replacements, possibly on temporary terms until next summer, causing a problem to unfold as we have now.

No club with serious ambitions should base its transfer 'policy' on first selling prized assets. We aren't very good at it so the policy should be to do everything to keep the quality we have and then if we have no money then put this famous scouting system to some use at last.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Perhaps Tony doesn't understand the simple statement that may well be 'you have no money to spend - we need savings of at least £15million through fees in and wage savings'.

21 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I think any finances for purchases will have to come from somewhere. The players released have freed some wages but I suspect this will be absorbed by free transfers and loan signings. So I will be amazed that any signings for cash won't result in transfers out. Looking at our squad, with Dack still injured, I can only see Lenihan, Travis and Armstrong as assets that will bring money in. Even then I still can't see any of them bringing in £5 million at this present time. Even then I still cant see any of them bringing in £5 million at this present time. In past seasons maybe the sale of one would be enough but I fear all 3 maybe sold just to balance the books.

Apologies if I've missed it higher up the thread, but does anybody know for certain whether the Mags put a 'sell-on' clause in the deal when we bought Armstrong?

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If we need to save money why did Mowbray allow tens of thousands out on temporary contract extensions for Samuel, Smallwood, Graham and Hart?

If I was betting: “because it was the right thing to do”.

Knowing you will be treated well by “the club” may go some way when dealing with player personal terms. Players talk to each other and a quiet word of “don’t worry he’ll look after you” won’t hurt if the wage is a low ball.

While I think that Rovers should have been more on the side of fans (stop the guilt trips about a few refunds “harming the club”) instead of rewarding non-contributing players, which must have hurt the club financially, at least we aren’t giving out paydays to the likes of Murphy and Etuhu.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Armstrong has had a good season but still didn't get near the magic 20 for the season so lets not get too carried away but being English will add value. He was the one player I did consider as 5 mill + but I don't think by much.

Silly prices quoted don't necessarily mean cash up front. The majority will be a lot lower initial down payment with add-ons..

55 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah I'd like to keep Armstrong aswell but if money is needed this summer then I think he would be the one we would get the most money for

I also have reservations about Armstrong playing the lone front man role as when Dack is back I don't know if they will work too well together if we revert back to playinh 4-2-3-1.Imo to get the best out of Dack he needs be playing behind someone who can hold the ball up and bring others into play Armstrong isn't strong at either of those things.

Moore from Wigan I'd be looking to bring inIV been critical  of him in the past but last couple of seasons he has really improved and looks a bargain at the 2 million being mentioned.

In an ideal world I'd be signing a target man and putting Armstrong back as one of the wide forwards if Dack is to come back as the main man 

For me, Dack has to adapt to playing with Armstrong. We aren't going to playing long balls into a target man now according to Mowbray, we are look to more possession base team. 

Putting Armstrong wide shouldn't be happening. 

On Moore? not sure we should be looking at him. We need 1st choice keeper, centre back and left back. Plus 2nd choice keeper and centre back. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Perhaps Tony doesn't understand the simple statement that may well be 'you have no money to spend - we need savings of at least £15million through fees in and wage savings'.

Tbh if that's the FUP situation, then as long as the owners are willing and able to back us I say fuck it, go for broke on going up this season and buy proven quality.

We aren't raising and saving that amount of money in this climate without risking relegation again anyway.

• Like 1