BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

For me, Dack has to adapt to playing with Armstrong. We aren't going to playing long balls into a target man now according to Mowbray, we are look to more possession base team. 

Putting Armstrong wide shouldn't be happening. 

On Moore? not sure we should be looking at him. We need 1st choice keeper, centre back and left back. Plus 2nd choice keeper and centre back. 

mowbray should be looking to mix the play up,he`s speaking like he`s managing barcelona with this posession football obsession,not sure armstrong and dack can play together for me it`s one or the other,we don`t need moore either,we`ve already got a target man in gallagher,just stop putting him out wide,give him proper coaching on holding the ball up and getting in defenders faces,he`s big enough to be a right nuisance on set pieces as well,i agree we have other priorities to fill

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

How so? Surely goes like this...Ok guys we are looking for two keepers a cb, a lb and a Cm. The total budget is x and the allocated budget for each position is roughly a, b and c. Here’s a list of players we’ve scouted in each position with choices 1-?.

Then it’s a case of who comes available first with the ultimate goal to cover all the positions. ??‍♂️

Yet the past few summers budgets which could and should have gone someway to covering those areas, directing it into a bit of quality for the 'slow' build, have been spewed on fanciful signings like Brereton, Gallagher and to a lesser extent Downing.

Now we are back to probably trying to stretch a couple of million around 5 different positions. 

You are confusing how it should be done with how it is actually done here.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not yet. 

Agree a fee with QPR. I believe Other Championship teams are after him. 

Wigan need money. End of

I think we do as well!  End of.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You wouldn't want to sell Travis at all, but think most of us knew we would have to sell one of our 4 best players(Armstrong, Dack, Travis, Lenihan) this summer. 

Wonder if we already have an offer in from PL club for Travis? 

Travis is in Spain on holiday according to his Instagram. 

Is Whiteman a similar type of player to Travis? 

I would be looking at Josh Cullen from West Ham who was on loan at Charlton to replace Travis if he goes. 

I'm surprised by that Chaddy. Wouldn't you think the club would be saying to all the staff " No foreign holidays until further notice lads ? " Let's hope he's not coming back in the nexr two weeks. I'm supposed to be out there now but staying local seemed to be the wisest move.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yet the past few summers budgets which could and should have gone someway to covering those areas, directing it into a bit of quality for the 'slow' build, have been spewed on fanciful signings like Brereton, Gallagher and to a lesser extent Downing.

Now we are back to probably trying to stretch a couple of million around 5 different positions. 

You are confusing how it should be done with how it is actually done here.

Rightly or wrongly they’ve chosen to spend that money on the strikers but that still has little relevance to the actual point. Players aren’t signed in order of importance, they’re signed as they become available. Ergo speaking to Whiteman isn’t a sign that they want a CM more than a CB just that they had a chance to speak with him and took it. 

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm surprised by that Chaddy. Wouldn't you think the club would be saying to all the staff " No foreign holidays until further notice lads ? " Let's hope he's not coming back in the nexr two weeks. I'm supposed to be out there now but staying local seemed to be the wisest move.

Hmm ..down to the individual regarding holidays abroad .Unprecedented times were rules/regulations will change in an instance. I mean even Celtic have jetted off to France for pre season friendlies .. quarantine rules coming back from there could quite easily change overnight...but air bridges have been opened so ..

Personally id have refrained from opening such air bridges for at least a couple of months but who am i .. 

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think if we do sign him one or both of Evans and Travis will be going. How else does it make any sense ?

Not necessarily. As other posters have mentioned, we do have some players for that position but only one who is a mainstay. IF we genuinely have ambitions of going up AND we have the funds then adding Whiteman to that group to form a partnership with Trav and the others fighting to dislodge them is a bold move.

I just don’t see how we plug the gaps AND buy Whiteman without selling someone.

Ideally, Raya gets promotion and King goes for £20m which prob generates £5m for us? So we can keep our Crown Jewels and spend a million or so. 

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Armstrong’s out in Ibiza too

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Not necessarily. As other posters have mentioned, we do have some players for that position but only one who is a mainstay. IF we genuinely have ambitions of going up AND we have the funds then adding Whiteman to that group to form a partnership with Trav and the others fighting to dislodge them is a bold move.

Then I'd much rather just plug the gaps.

Had a thought about Raya's sell on. It could be true that we have no sell on clause, but still benefit from him moving again.

You get a development fee for all future cash transfers a player has throughout the rest of his career if you had him through a certain age range. You get more based on how many years you had him. We had Raya since he was 17 right? So there's definitely a fee for us every time he moves now.

Still hoping we have had the sense to insist on a sell on though, we were already selling too cheaply. If you have a sell on, you still get the development fee too.

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Ideally, Raya gets promotion and King goes for £20m which prob generates £5m for us? So we can keep our Crown Jewels and spend a million or so. 

This is where a good manager comes in - there's so much fat to trim from this squad:

• Mulgrew
  • Johnson
  • Evans
  • Bennett
  • Downing
  • Holtby

If we have aspirations of pushing for the PL, we can't lose players like Armstrong, Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis or Dack unless we're blown out of the water by the money on offer.

I'd add Gallagher and Brereton to the list of players to move on, but we'd get peanuts for them at this point. 

• Like 3

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

This is where a good manager comes in - there's so much fat to trim from this squad:

• Mulgrew
  • Johnson
  • Evans
  • Bennett
  • Downing
  • Holtby

If we have aspirations of pushing for the PL, we can't lose players like Armstrong, Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis or Dack unless we're blown out of the water by the money on offer.

I'd add Gallagher and Brereton to the list of players to move on, but we'd get peanuts for them at this point. 

Evans is worth keeping and Downing isn't under contract. Harsh on Holtby too. He hasn't had a proper pre season with us yet. 

• Like 2

Just now, bluebruce said:

Had a thought about Raya's sell on. It could be true that we have no sell on clause, but still benefit from him moving again.

You get a development fee for all future cash transfers a player has throughout the rest of his career if you had him through a certain age range. You get more based on how many years you had him. We had Raya since he was 17 right? So there's definitely a fee for us every time he moves now.

Still hoping we have had the sense to insist on a sell on though, we were already selling too cheaply. If you have a sell on, you still get the development fee too.

3 million beginning to look like what we should have asked to loan him off us. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Evans is worth keeping and Downing isn't under contract. Harsh on Holtby too. He hasn't had a proper pre season with us yet. 

You know he's going to offer Downing a new deal. 

Holtby doesn't bring enough to the table - I'd rather run with Dack / Buckley / Rothwell in that #10 role than pay him a sizeable wage for his 10 minutes per game (when he's fit). 

Evans I don't mind, but if the option is Evans or Whiteman, I'd be happy to sell Evans. 

• Like 3

I think we have some great youngsters coming through who deserve a chance, personally think Wharton Magluire and the guy who played there the other week are good enough to support the experienced man in Lenihan, we also have Wiliams if Lenihan is injured. Although I've never been a huge fan of Williams he has improved with time and as a CB they are often at their best between 28-33.

Think we still need a LB, obviously a keeper and then if we have no money, we are fairly well stacked up in midfield (especially as Tomo doesn't like the winter type) with the guys that are coming through.. 

If we could just get a championship quality striker I would be over the moon but seems unlikely.

15 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Rightly or wrongly they’ve chosen to spend that money on the strikers but that still has little relevance to the actual point. Players aren’t signed in order of importance, they’re signed as they become available. Ergo speaking to Whiteman isn’t a sign that they want a CM more than a CB just that they had a chance to speak with him and took it. 

The point is it is the wrong way to go about it sadly, now i can understand it when Bowyer was throwing together a side under embargo.  I'll understand it to a degree in the present climate although pandemic aside we should have left ourselves a bit better equipped in certain areas.

However possibly pulling out of offering Bauer anything because after a 12 month plus courting and jumping for Downing. Then splashing the money that came available late from Raya straight into the direction of Gallagher because you've fancied him a while but didn't have the doh isn't any kind of real plan. It's also played a part in where we might be now.

Ok if you've been guaranteed 5 mill every summer for say 5 seasons along side a healthy wage budget then maybe you can get away with doing it back to front.  Hoping it'll all come together in the end but i doubt that was the case it's still more scattergun make it up as you go along so in actual fact that is the point. 

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

The point is it is the wrong way to go about it sadly, now i can understand it when Bowyer was throwing together a side under embargo.  I'll understand it to a degree in the present climate although pandemic aside we should have left ourselves a bit better equipped in certain areas.

However possibly pulling out of offering Bauer anything because after a 12 month plus courting and jumping for Downing. Then splashing the money that came available late from Raya straight into the direction of Gallagher because you've fancied him a while but didn't have the doh isn't any kind of real plan. It's also played a part in where we might be now.

Ok if you've been guaranteed 5 mill every summer for say 5 seasons along side a healthy wage budget then maybe you can get away with doing it back to front.  Hoping it'll all come together in the end but i doubt that was the case it's still more scattergun make it up as you go along so in actual fact that is the point. 

I appreciate what your saying but I don’t really get the difference. What you’re saying only becomes an issue if in fact it is scattergun. But if the plan was to bring in Tosin on loan and spend the money on Downing over Bauer then I’m happy. I don’t think Bauer’s any better than Williams.