BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

There you go. In bold. 

"I'VE Been CATEGORICALLY told". Not 'I AM CATEGORICALLY saying'. I don't know these things, someone else says they do. They said something, I relayed it. 

Stuck the whole thing in bold for you.

32 minutes ago, JoeH said:

There's a promotion clause... but no sell on fee. Promotion clauses could reach £2m, but been categorically told that there's no sell on or percentage of profit sell on etc...

This seems like such a long time ago now ? It's gone from a fact to someone getting very defensive on t'interwebs. Won't question you or your sources again m'lud!

Just now, Tugay-is-God said:

It's funny, I know that a lot of us were saying that when he was here but he's gotten a lot of plaudits from Brentford fans this year for his distribution. 

Anybody else see that video were he was side volleying a ball from one corner of the gym to a trainer stood in the other corner ? He was hitting the guy in the chest every time. I couldn't have done that as consistently when I was playing.

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

This seems like such a long time ago now ? It's gone from a fact to someone getting very defensive on t'interwebs. Won't question you or your sources again m'lud!

Really nice dodge of the fact you said "Nobody claimed you knew more than Sharpe, READ my posts before you reply. Duh.." But it was very clear you HAD said I claimed to know more than Sharpe. Honestly, I don't think anybody noticed!

Just now, JoeH said:

Really nice dodge of the fact you said "Nobody claimed you knew more than Sharpe, READ my posts before you reply. Duh.." But it was very clear you HAD said I claimed to know more than Sharpe. Honestly, I don't think anybody noticed!

If you're reduced to semantics I actually said 'had more info', not that you knew more. Obviously I hadn't reckoned with the bastion of Rovers exclusives and knowledge that is Lancs Live. At least we now know there categorically isn't a sell-on clause ?

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Anybody else see that video were he was side volleying a ball from one corner of the gym to a trainer stood in the other corner ? He was hitting the guy in the chest every time. I couldn't have done that as consistently when I was playing.

You played at professional level  then Tyrone ..?  ..intrigued ..

20 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am bias in my opinion after watching them from under 18's into under 23's then first team, so I far less critical of their performance as I am not expecting them to be Phil Jones or David Dunn quality. I will admit that to you. 

I certainly did not even hint that I expect academy players to be of that standard. For example my analysis of Carter was from a Championship game v Luton in which his game was riddled with errors, not because he didnt play like Phil Jones. I havent written him off, I just dont think he is ready at this time.

37 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I appreciate what your saying but I don’t really get the difference. What you’re saying only becomes an issue if in fact it is scattergun. But if the plan was to bring in Tosin on loan and spend the money on Downing over Bauer then I’m happy. I don’t think Bauer’s any better than Williams. 

Surely Bauer should have been prioritised based on the fact that he would have been a longer term solution?

From what I have seen, he is a very capable Championship CB, I think he won the most aeriel duels in the League this season, Preston conceded 9 less goals than us this season. To compare him to Williams seems a little strange.

• Like 1

Will Derrick and Charlie still be here in september?

I really hope we give Scott Wharton a run out in pre season. Promoted with northampton and probably their best player. Thats good experience for a young lad coming in to a rovers team.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Looks like the 'abilities' of Del Williams are being overlooked, priming him as Lenihan's partner for the season with Carter and Wharton in reserve. 

You just know it's gonna happen.

I don't think he's half bad as a CB. He's a poor LB though.

I'd look to bring in a loanee to play alongside Lenihan, with Williams being the first CB off the bench - but realistically the issue at LB and CM (the lack of defensive cover) is the biggest problem we have defensively. Well that and the GK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

I think we have some great youngsters coming through who deserve a chance, personally think Wharton Magluire and the guy who played there the other week are good enough to support the experienced man in Lenihan, we also have Wiliams if Lenihan is injured. Although I've never been a huge fan of Williams he has improved with time and as a CB they are often at their best between 28-33.

Think we still need a LB, obviously a keeper and then if we have no money, we are fairly well stacked up in midfield (especially as Tomo doesn't like the winter type) with the guys that are coming through.. 

If we could just get a championship quality striker I would be over the moon but seems unlikely.

Gallagher scored two old fashioned centre forward goals post-lockdown. Who knows, maybe the light has finally come on for him. ?

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, neophox said:

I really hope we give Scott Wharton a run out in pre season. Promoted with northampton and probably their best player. Thats good experience for a young lad coming in to a rovers team.

If he didn't belong here and Rovers had gone and signed him now for modest money and wages as back up i think most would be fairly accepting of that.  

I'd still prefer to see the back of Mulgrew on loan then bring a good CH in and have Wharton and Del fight it out for 3rd choice.

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

If I was betting: “because it was the right thing to do”.

Knowing you will be treated well by “the club” may go some way when dealing with player personal terms. Players talk to each other and a quiet word of “don’t worry he’ll look after you” won’t hurt if the wage is a low ball.

While I think that Rovers should have been more on the side of fans (stop the guilt trips about a few refunds “harming the club”) instead of rewarding non-contributing players, which must have hurt the club financially, at least we aren’t giving out paydays to the likes of Murphy and Etuhu.

So we are by some accounts absolutely skint, to the point we are sending Tosin back early to avoid paying him and, again according to some also have to make cutbacks for FFP compliance which may result in us having to sell at least one of our prized assets, possibly putting us in serious relegation danger next year, yet we can find the money to make expensive gestures such as these in the hope we manage to get a reputation as a nice club that will 'look after' players.

Madness.

Hope that reputation helps when we are fighting relegation and attendances have continued to plummet after refusing to refund fans out of pocket.

Hart, Smallwood, are these not the very definition of non contributing players having barely appeared for the last 12 months and have been very well paid in the meantime?

57 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Reporter at the other paper. Idk what Sharpe is on about. Only relaying what I've been told. Promotion clause of up to two million but nothing known about sell on clauses exitsing. 

Already said it but will say it again. Even if theres no sell on clause, we are due a development fee on every cash transfer he has in future. That's the rules of the game now, we don't need to write it into a deal. So that would explain us being due a slice even if we didn't negotiate one through our usual sheer fucking incompetence.

2 hours ago, CambridgeRover said:

If we need to save money why did we spend 12 million on two donkey strikers?

Absolutely, but you could argue those deals were done pre-pandemic under very different circumstances.

Deciding to splash another months wages out on those players happened in the middle of the pandemic, after Mowbray had told us all how tough it was for Venkys and how Waggott had told us all to forget about any sort of refund on tickets.

So it doesn't stack up. No money one minute but enough to look after a few nice lads for a few weeks more the next.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, neophox said:

Selling Raya was a big mistake. All here knew it.

Certainly for the money - I liked Raya and £3 million wouldn't have been enough to tempt me to sell him. Having said that I think it's possible to over-egg how much he has progressed this season. I) He is playing in a better team who control games and have a defender in Jansson who'll head anything and help Raya out with crosses. II) He's still made a few howlers this year, even if they've come with plenty of clear sheets and the customary lightning reflex saves that he produced here. 

If the rumours are true that we get another couple of million if they go up, then that's not looking a million miles away from reasonable value in my opinion. It remains to be seen if he'll progress enough to be the prem-standard keeper who could expect to command much more than that. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I certainly did not even hint that I expect academy players to be of that standard. For example my analysis of Carter was from a Championship game v Luton in which his game was riddled with errors, not because he didnt play like Phil Jones. I havent written him off, I just dont think he is ready at this time.

Surely Bauer should have been prioritised based on the fact that he would have been a longer term solution?

From what I have seen, he is a very capable Championship CB, I think he won the most aeriel duels in the League this season, Preston conceded 9 less goals than us this season. To compare him to Williams seems a little strange.

Oh no. Bauer is BANG average and I’d have taken Tosin all day over.

There is no difference between a fully fit Derek Williams and Patrick Bauer. They’re both middle of the road Championship defenders.

As for stats, well our outgoing keeper just had the joint best ever record for clean sheets and is seemingly one of the worst keepers to grace Ewood park. ?

All about opinions of course but I watched  Bauer at the end of his time with Charlton and probably 5 or 6 times at PNE and he’s basically a 7/10 run of the mill cb. Anyone who says anything different (Including mr elite football lol) Is just trying to further their own agenda.

We dodged a bullet last season and got a FAR better cb. Get Del fully fit and a good lb in and we’re in no worse situation than had Bauer signed. 

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Here's a thought Tony... let's not sell off our "star" younger players for peanuts again this summer, instead let's not keep giving long term contracts and extentions to L1 and past it players. 

Smallwood, Hart, Leutwiler and Samuel combined probably cost £1-1.5m in wages this past season... basically half of what we sold Raya for went to pay them 4 last year. Let that sink in.

Mulgrew and his £20k a week will cost that much next season on his own, Evans, Johnson, Bennett and Downing* will cost around £3-4m next year in wages.

But instead, lets sell Nyambe or Travis to cover those 5 players wages for a year. 

That's exactly how this lot operate in a nutshell. They've done this since the day they arrived.

1 minute ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Certainly for the money - I liked Raya and £3 million wouldn't have been enough to tempt me to sell him. Having said that I think it's possible to over-egg how much he has progressed this season. I) He is playing in a better team who control games and have a defender in Jansson who'll head anything and help Raya out with crosses. II) He's still made a few howlers this year, even if they've come with plenty of clear sheets and the customary lightning reflex saves that he produced here. 

If the rumours are true that we get another couple of million if they go up, then that's not looking a million miles away from reasonable value in my opinion. It remains to be seen if he'll progress enough to be the prem-standard keeper who could expect to command much more than that. 

The only money we’re getting from Raya is if they go up. Have you actually watched him play this season? Same shit...sublime to the ridiculous.

Will prob get him a lovely raise though. Beautifully timed with his award too ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, neophox said:

We've given him a 'run out' in the last 3-4 pre seasons. Then when the real games start he doesn't feature. There can't be much more Mowbray has to learn from watching him. Either he thinks he is ready now, or he doesn't. If it is the latter he probably needs a permanent move somewhere at his age.