BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, HowieFive0 said:

You played at professional level  then Tyrone ..?  ..intrigued ..

No but I was playing at a very good amateur level before a broken leg as a teenager put an end to any real ambitions I had. I reckoned I could strike a decent ball but not as cleanly or accurately as Raya was doing.

• Like 1

Just now, davulsukur said:

Tosin won't be getting in the city squad, will he? 

Chances of another loan late in the window. All parties might be up for that, as he got game time here.

Of course, we can't leave it late in the window to bring a CB in (which might not happen anyway) but it would be good if we could get him back.

They had a defensive crisis at CB and didn't even consider recalling him in January. I'd suggest he's not in their first team plans - which is a shame as his style of football actually suits City. 

Suspect his agent will be angling for a permanent move away after they sit down with Guardiola in the next few weeks. 

15 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Expensive loan signings like Tosin over a permanent signing like Bauer are only a master stroke if that bit of extra class gets you promoted.

Now we're stuck trying to play this passing game that Tony rambles on about - which he based on Tosin playing out through the press. Now we are without the only player who could make it work and no CB.

Not such a master stroke.

He knows that damn well it's the type of thing he'd argue himself if it was the other way around. A pedantic soul if ever there was one ?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I wasn't saying you want them to be Phil Jones standard but some people do. Why haven't mention Carter's performance vs Reading was he was very good. Yes he made mistakes but if we had a better number 1 behind him and left back, he wouldn't have made as many. The own goal he scored wouldn't have happened if we had Brad Friedel in goal. Walton's communication is woeful. We need experience keeper who can command the area and good communication skills aswell Shot stopper skills. 

On Bauer, he is mid table Championship centre defender. I would say Tosin is better all round game than Bauer who is old fashioned style defender

Hope Both are gone. 

I would like Wharton to be given his chance here. Judging by his comments online in the Lancashire Telegraph he wants to break into the first team here, 

Raya still made the same mistakes he had done during his time here. I think @Sparks Rover's comments on Raya all round game today is spot on. 

WE have been over and over the situation is that we have 2 keepers lined up and both fell through at the last hurdle sadly. I don't have names. We tried for Darlow last summer but his wages were outside our budget and couldn't afford him. We got a solid and reliable partner in Adarabioyo next to Lenihan. 

You mean Mercer does, a man who is a parody of himself with his daily administration predictions? Not "some people"

Carter was ok v Reading, no more. Wasnt directly responsible for any of the goals but defensively we were poor again. The own goal was poor on his behalf, no escaping that, and one of numerous signs of him struggling.

What you cant grasp with Raya is that it is almost as if for you, its mistakes or no mistakes, black or white. He has made far fewer errors which doesnt compute with you. Every goalkeeper makes them, hes made far less this year. Waltons problem is not that he made a mistake or 2, he made over 10. You wont acknowledge that even though hes still certainly not perfect, hes getting better and making fewer mistakes.

And again like with Paul Mani you are totally looking short term when judging signings that were short term and helped us finish mid table. Whilst also judging the manager not on who he did sign but who he didnt sign but tried to, even though you dont know who they are! Would you be happier now if we had Bauer and Raya? Of course you would, and we could have had both and not got Gallagher.

Guys, we can go round and round on this. Imo your point stands up with Raya and Walton as they are both very inconsistent.

BUT you will never convince me that signing a bog standard cb over Tosin just so we can call him ours is the way. I find this thought process really old fashioned.

its the clubs job to go and find another Tosin standard of player now. If they can’t then that’s on them but let’s not cry over Bauer. Just play Del and you’ve got the same end product. He’s ours btw...?

14 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Omg. You genuinely do wish we’d signed a sub standard defender just so we could call him our own! ?

Argh, embarrassing ??

Bauer was coveted by Mowbray for at least 12 months and became available on a free with us in pole position, and it fell through because Mowbray apparently told him he would have to earn his way past Williams. He has since gone on to be an ever present for another Championship club having made the step up from L1. Sub-standard he is not.

Even Adarabioyo had to wait for injuries to get into the team but he didn’t care because it was part of his apprenticeship for City. He may be a good player but ultimately it counts for nothing, and we are back to square one despite having allegedly thrown a fee at it - probably in desperation - and are no further forward. Bauer with 12 months in the team would have at least been a start, rather than renting a stopgap.

This old fashioned “when men were men” approach from Mowbray is why we are even having this debate. Mowbray would I’m sure insist he was right to test Bauer’s “character” even if it has ultimately cost us more money that we don’t have.

• Like 4

If anyone thinks Walton and Williams are as good as Raya and Bauer I want some of whatever they are having! 

Williams at centre back only looks decent in comparison to his shambles at left back. He is probable top league 1, bottom 6 championship standard at centre back. Whilst not doing any of the terrible stuff he does at lb he doesn't do much good. 

And as for Walton? More errors since lockdown than Raya in an entire season, and that's not counting any of the pre Christmas clangers. Nor does he produce worldie saves like Raya. No way is he remotely near Raya's class or ability. Which isn't bigging up Raya but saying how poor Walton is. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

If anyone thinks Walton and Williams are as good as Raya and Bauer I want some of whatever they are having! 

Williams at centre back only looks decent in comparison to his shambles at left back. He is probable top league 1, bottom 6 championship standard at centre back. Whilst not doing any of the terrible stuff he does at lb he doesn't do much good. 

And as for Walton? More errors since lockdown than Raya in an entire season, and that's not counting any of the pre Christmas clangers. Nor does he produce worldie saves like Raya. No way is he remotely near Raya's class or ability. Which isn't bigging up Raya but saying how poor Walton is. 

Which is why he's fine at the first CB off the bench for a cash strapped club. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You mean Mercer does, a man who is a parody of himself with his daily administration predictions? Not "some people"

Carter was ok v Reading, no more. Wasnt directly responsible for any of the goals but defensively we were poor again. The own goal was poor on his behalf, no escaping that, and one of numerous signs of him struggling.

What you cant grasp with Raya is that it is almost as if for you, its mistakes or no mistakes, black or white. He has made far fewer errors which doesnt compute with you. Every goalkeeper makes them, hes made far less this year. Waltons problem is not that he made a mistake or 2, he made over 10. You wont acknowledge that even though hes still certainly not perfect, hes getting better and making fewer mistakes.

And again like with Paul Mani you are totally looking short term when judging signings that were short term and helped us finish mid table. Whilst also judging the manager not on who he did sign but who he didnt sign but tried to, even though you dont know who they are! Would you be happier now if we had Bauer and Raya? Of course you would, and we could have had both and not got Gallagher.

I like Mercer but his expectations are too high of our youth players. 

Carter was more than ok. Played very well. That own goal was affordable if Walton had communicate to leave it like Friedel would have done. 

Raya has made number of mistakes like last week one which you admitted you didn't see. He push it right out to their forward. Poor keeping. He made very poor error against Hull. Plus his mistake he made against us by fouling Buckley. For me he hasn't improve enough but the main factor is Brentford captain Jansson being in charge of the defence. 

Haven't we all said Walton has been to error prone and since post lockdown he has been pathetic to be honest. So we can all agree Walton isn't good enough to be number 1 here. 

I wanted Raya out last summer and I going to open and honest on that as his mistakes in 18/19 season were too much. Still remember his mistake against Birmingham at home in that season. it was horrendous. What we didn't need was Walton but since he missed on his 2 top targets and Darlow was too expensive we got Walton. 

No I wouldn't with Bauer as Tosin is a better all round defender. 

Raya was a decent keeper for us with bags of potential. If you look throughout the championship at the standard of keeping Nearly all the keepers I’ve watched are equal to or no better than raya. Who are people expecting to come in and be a massive upgrade on raya for us. Very few players suggested are easily better and I’m yet to see a reliable link that makes me think selling him would be the right decision if we got him etc.  

• Like 2

It wouldn't surprise me if Tony pins his hopes on City loaning Tosin out again and us being in line for another season. 

Tony's address book isn't a long one and I see him as having a preference for turning to players he knows rather than those he doesn't. 

Happy days you might think until we get a Harrison Reed scenario where we wait all summer hoping for a cheap deal before he gets snatched away elsewhere at the 11th hour.

I'd also be looking at the Liverpool u23s - our willingness to go to Anfield for the warm up game a few weeks ago went down well with Klopp and will probably see us win favour on generous loans and future friendlies.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

There is no difference between a fully fit Derek Williams and Patrick Bauer. They’re both middle of the road Championship defenders.

As for stats, well our outgoing keeper just had the joint best ever record for clean sheets and is seemingly one of the worst keepers to grace Ewood park. ?

All about opinions of course but I watched  Bauer at the end of his time with Charlton and probably 5 or 6 times at PNE and he’s basically a 7/10 run of the mill cb. Anyone who says anything different (Including mr elite football lol) Is just trying to further their own agenda.

When has Williams ever been a middle of the road Championship defender? He isn't even a quarter of the way up the road. He shouldn't even be considered as an option at centre back the only position he has ever put in solid performances is at left back. If Williams is here next season then it should only be as 2nd choice left back, if he is an option at centre back next season then it will signal a very poor transfer window and a very long season ahead.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

All hypothetical of course but we might well have got Tosin even if he'd signed Bauer so the comparisons have been twisted a bit anyway. For me i think it's quite certain that at one point he dropped Bauer to put the money towards Downing if we look at the timings etc.

Both were earmarked as back up after all.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Heard on Talksport the other week of a young premiership squad player being shocked that he was only being offered wages of around £700/week to join a Championship club. 

Ahhh, so we ARE making offers ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Tony pins his hopes on City loaning Tosin out again and us being in line for another season. 

Tony's address book isn't a long one and I see him as having a preference for turning to players he knows rather than those he doesn't. 

Happy days you might think until we get a Harrison Reed scenario where we wait all summer hoping for a cheap deal before he gets snatched away elsewhere at the 11th hour.

I'd also be looking at the Liverpool u23s - our willingness to go to Anfield for the warm up game a few weeks ago went down well with Klopp and will probably see us win favour on generous loans and future friendlies.

I would expect Tosin to be either on City bench or on loan at Premier League team. 

On the Liverpool under 23's I would be surprise if we moved for Nathaniel Philips from Liverpool who has been on loan in Bundesliga 2 to Stuttgart. He played 19 times for them. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Tosin as a defender maybe slightly overrated, its his technical ability that makes him stand out.

Either way, the main difference is the fact that had we signed Bauer, we could have had a long term partnership at CB. In essence, Adarabioyo just helped us finish mid table. If we had Raya and Bauer now, this very difficult summer would be far less difficult than it is now.

Regarding Raya, thats 3 errors, if a goalkeeper makes 3 errors a season, youd take that. Its when it gets above 10 that you have a problem. Selling Raya for peanuts, loaning a crap temporary keeper and signing Gallagher with the Raya money was a dismal three pronged bit of business.

Just like Bauer has helped Preston finish mid table. 

One thing you failed to mention that Raya wanted out of Rovers as he thought it was time to move on. A point is regular miss here. Raya's comments " “I think it was the right time for me to move on to a new challenge in my career and my life and it was the decision I made." https://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/sport/18059649.david-raya-interview-opens-reasons-rovers-exit/

That's 3 mistakes/errors I've seen make this season. I'm surely they have been others. Might not cost goals but still mistakes. I don't watch Brentford every game do I. 

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I like Mercer but his expectations are too high of our youth players. 

Carter was more than ok. Played very well. 

If you think Carter played very well in either of his appearances then I'd suggest it is more that you have very low expectations of our academy players than anything else.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I would expect Tosin to be either on City bench or on loan at Premier League team. 

He's no way near Premier League standard. Hugely overrated by Rovers fans.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

If you think Carter played very well in either of his appearances then I'd suggest it is more that you have very low expectations of our academy players than anything else.

You could see the difference in class between himself and other centre backs in this division, his distribution was incredible and started so many moves by playing the ball in midfield, Something we will miss next season 

• Like 3

He won't be on City's bench for league games i don't think certainly not yet and Walton won't be Brightons no 1 maybe not even regular no 2.

Some need to get real i think one's looked decent on the ball at an average midtable championship side. The other has looked between competent and awful in various spells at the same side. 

Both have a lot to prove yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Glad I'm not the only one who thought he wasn't that good defensively......but after watching Williams then anybody looks great.

• Like 1