BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Jlee1984 said:

You could see the difference in class between himself and other centre backs in this division, his distribution was incredible and started so many moves by playing the ball in midfield, Something we will miss next season 

He was very good on the ball although a bit too casual sometimes. But defensively he was average at best. 

• Like 1

I dont't think Tosin is going to be anywhere near the 1st team at City,other than Phil Foden Pep has hardly given a chance to their youth team players to become regulars in the 1st team,until the the owner changes his mind City will be using his oil money to get new defenders in the club.

20 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

If you think Carter played very well in either of his appearances then I'd suggest it is more that you have very low expectations of our academy players than anything else.

He's no way near Premier League standard. Hugely overrated by Rovers fans.

Yes I do think Carter played well against Reading. other fans said so on social media and on this site. Plus Sharpe and Crooke who the 2 local journalists who cover Rovers for the jobs. 

I think he will be at Premier League club next season on loan IMO

21 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I dont't think Tosin is going to be anywhere near the 1st team at City,other than Phil Foden Pep has hardly given a chance to their youth team players to become regulars in the 1st team,until the the owner changes his mind City will be using his oil money to get new defenders in the club.

Eric Garcia has played quite a lot recently in the first team and he has given run outs to quite a few kids in the early rounds of the cups. Considering the quality and depth they have I don’t think it’s fair to Be overly critIcal.

bellis harwood, Angelino,  Brahmin Diaz, Celina  are players off the top of my head I’ve seen Given opportunities plus foden, Garcia and Iheanacho used regular. 

Edited by Oldgregg86

2 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Eric Garcia has played quite a lot recently in the first team and he has given run outs to quite a few kids in the early rounds of the cups. Considering the quality and depth they have I don’t think it’s fair to Be overly critIcal.

bellis harwood, Angelino,  Brahmin Diaz, Celina  are players off the top of my head I’ve seen Given opportunities plus foden, Garcia and Iheanacho used regular. 

Bellis-harwood,angelino,Diaz,Celina have/had 6 premier league appearances between them,hardly given a chance imo Foden is a regular,Garcia has played a few games recently but i'd harldy call him a regular so far and Inehacho was offloaded as soon as Leicester made a bid for him.

I can understand Pep using big money players when hes got an owner willing to pay for them,all i'm saying is if Tosin wants a premier league career it wont be with City.

Just now, Darrenbot said:

Bellis-harwood,angelino,Diaz,Celina have/had 6 premier league appearances between them,hardly given a chance imo Foden is a regular,Garcia has played a few games recently but i'd harldy call him a regular so far and Inehacho was offloaded as soon as Leicester made a bid for him.

I can understand Pep using big money players when hes got an owner willing to pay for them,all i'm saying is if Tosin wants a premier league career it wont be with City.

I mean Leicester bid £25m for a bloke that's scored 9 goals in 3 years. If they didn't have incredibly rich owners, that'd be a crippling mistake. 

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

I mean Leicester bid £25m for a bloke that's scored 9 goals in 3 years. If they didn't have incredibly rich owners, that'd be a crippling mistake. 

thats quite cheap,Newcastle paid 40 for that useless JoelLinton bloke 

3 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

That’s a fair comment tbf. They did play cup games aswell and a few champions league  but I suppose im looking at it a different way but agreeing with your point. To give any of those guys game time when you have the players and depth they have is commendable but if the likes of sancho can’t get a game then tosin will struggle . 

I think it’s important TM gets his defensive options in early in the window. But just as importantly he needs the existing defenders out on the training pitch working together! Our defence has been poor now for a few seasons and often looks unorganised.

You’d expect TM to demand better being an ex old school centre half.

• Like 4

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

That’s a fair comment tbf. They did play cup games aswell and a few champions league  but I suppose im looking at it a different way but agreeing with your point. To give any of those guys game time when you have the players and depth they have is commendable but if the likes of sancho can’t get a game then tosin will struggle . 

I agree plus with the pressure Pep must be under with the owners wanting trophies after all the money they've shelled out hes gonna have to be pretty sure a young  player is ready to give him regular playing time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pick32 said:

Raya is a class above every keeper we have had since robbo first came. He will go on to prove it just like Nzonzi did when some fans didn’t rate him and he was clearly head and a shoulders above all our midfield! 

I certainly dont thnk that Nzonzi's performances were a "class above" but the reason that he had his doubters was because of his application, he had a tendency to strop and to down tools.

Raya did make plenty of mistakes here to be fair which we shouldnt forget but he obviously was talented. The whole way that it was handled, fee, replacement (both quality and the fact it was a loan) and how the money was spent, the whole package was dismal from Mowbray.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

I think it’s important TM gets his defensive options in early in the window. But just as importantly he needs the existing defenders out on the training pitch working together! Our defence has been poor now for a few seasons and often looks unorganised.

You’d expect TM to demand better being an ex old school centre half.

It's never been a settled unit it's never been built that way either. And at times it's often resembled the one that got relegated from this lge several years ago.

It's quite bonkers it was never brought up to scratch a while ago really.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I agree plus with the pressure Pep must be under with the owners wanting trophies after all the money they've shelled out hes gonna have to be pretty sure a young  player is ready to give him regular playing time.

You also have to factor in the players being left out and the pressure they will put on pep aswell as the owners . They really do have to be top draw. Although if it was a choice between sancho and mahrez then I’d go sancho so doesn’t always pay off.  It can be just as difficult trying to manage clubs with huge budgets and quality players for different reasons that’s why I won’t have people down play the work peps done or mourinho or our own kenny. 

11 hours ago, pick32 said:

Raya is a class above every keeper we have had since robbo first came. He will go on to prove it just like Nzonzi did when some fans didn’t rate him and he was clearly head and a shoulders above all our midfield! 

He still had an error in him and was very shaky under corners in particular. Says more about the standard of player we've come to expect under Venkys reign more than anything. 

The thing Mowbray really got wrong for me was not getting in his first or even second choice replacement. He'd been here long enough to understand our budget/wage structure so to miss out on two European keepers and get that clown Walton in was unforgiveable. He also, incorrectly, believed that getting in a taller keeper would solve our problems at the back. 

If we had some money and the club finally decided to invest a bit of cash in the defence, I would be looking to sign Taylor Moore from Bristol City. Is in the last year of his contract and is not a starter at the club - so could be looking for a move. He is a ball playing CB, young, played for England right up to U20 level - so ticks a lot of TM boxes. Can also play RB so ideal whenever TM decides to publically hang Nyambe out to dry.

He is third choice at BC but i get the feeling he wants playing time now. I get that feeling as he was suddenly loaned out in January to Blackpool on deadline day (who loans out their 3rd choice CB unless he has pushed for it himself as wants more playing time?). I know a few Blackpool fans and they said he was absolute class for them, so much so that WBA have been linked with him.

Couple of mil should do it i reckon We all know it wont happen though.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

If we had some money and the club finally decided to invest a bit of cash in the defence, I would be looking to sign Taylor Moore from Bristol City. Is in the last year of his contract and is not a starter at the club - so could be looking for a move. He is a ball playing CB, young, played for England right up to U20 level - so ticks a lot of TM boxes. Can also play RB so ideal whenever TM decides to publically hang Nyambe out to dry.

He is third choice at BC but i get the feeling he wants playing time now. I get that feeling as he was suddenly loaned out in January to Blackpool on deadline day (who loans out their 3rd choice CB unless he has pushed for it himself as wants more playing time?). I know a few Blackpool fans and they said he was absolute class for them, so much so that WBA have been linked with him.

Couple of mil should do it i reckon We all know it wont happen though.  

I don't personally believe there's a feasible replacement for Tosin on the market. He's a unique footballer who provided an asset we've not really seen from a centre-half at Ewood Park for a long while. You look at the loan options, the frees and the cheaper CB's of Championship quality, they're all Darragh Lenihan types, all defence and no passing or dribbling ability. If Tosin can't return, I don't think the solution is to spend £2m on an average centre-half, I think the answer is to move to a 3atb or 5atb system. 

If the budget is £3m, we can't be wasting two thirds of it on a centre-back who won't be anything like as good as Tosin was for us. Focus those funds on a tolerable goalkeeper, a left back and whatever other hole needs filling, because the market for high quality central defenders is practically non-existent for a team with our funds available this summer.

Edited by JoeH

11 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I don't personally believe there's a feasible replacement for Tosin on the market. He's a unique footballer who provided an asset we've not really seen from a centre-half at Ewood Park for a long while. You look at the loan options, the frees and the cheaper CB's of Championship quality, they're all Darragh Lenihan types, all defence and no passing or dribbling ability. If Tosin can't return, I don't think the solution is to spend £2m on an average centre-half, I think the answer is to move to a 3atb or 5atb system. 

If the budget is £3m, we can't be wasting two thirds of it on a centre-back who won't be anything like as good as Tosin was for us. Focus those funds on a tolerable goalkeeper, a left back and whatever other hole needs filling, because the market for high quality central defenders is practically non-existent for a team with our funds available this summer.

The problem with this approach - and the approached you have put together in your stats thread (which is very good, btw), is you're basing all your decisions on Rovers as a football club not being able to improve our players. Mowbray doesn't like loaning players and wants to avoid it wherever possible. We're not looking to replace Tosin in a like for like player, there's not many of them and they're too expensive (including on loan - Tosin cost us 1.5m) we're looking to bring in players that are better than all our other options apart from Lenihan, but also with key attributes we think we can develop, ultimately to sell them for a good profit. 

I predict in the majority we will sign low fee/out of contract players, who have limited experience at this level, that we think we can improve. I think that stacks up with the signings I've been told we're looking at, Conor Ripley and Florian Hartherz. 

Just now, JoeH said:

Think you should do a bit of research on the lad before labeling him as average and a Lenihan type. Pacey, tall, brings the ball out from the back and has good passing ability. In fact, the only negative is that this sometimes leads him to making mistakes. Sounds as close to Tosin as we are likely to find in the league that is a realistic target that could be ours to own instead of loan. Bristol fans think he should be a starter and were shocked when he was loaned out. Blackpool fans loved him and claimed he was a class above the other CB they loaned in (a certain Henerghen who we will probably get in on a free lazy transfer instead).

Began his career at Lens, has played against the likes of Mbappe and attracted 10 million euro bids from other French clubs. They wanted 15 mil for him at the time so nothing materialised. Also was attracting prem interest before he eventually signed for Bristol City, He is behind the likes of Kalas but obviously wants to play.

• Like 1