BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, JacknOry said:

Think you should do a bit of research on the lad before labeling him as average and a Lenihan type. Pacey, tall, brings the ball out from the back and has good passing ability. In fact, the only negative is that this sometimes leads him to making mistakes. Sounds as close to Tosin as we are likely to find in the league that is a realistic target that could be ours to own instead of loan. Bristol fans think he should be a starter and were shocked when he was loaned out. Blackpool fans loved him and claimed he was a class above the other CB they loaned in (a certain Henerghen who we will probably get in on a free lazy transfer instead).

Began his career at Lens, has played against the likes of Mbappe and attracted 10 million euro bids from other French clubs. They wanted 15 mil for him at the time so nothing materialised. Also was attracting prem interest before he eventually signed for Bristol City, He is behind the likes of Kalas but obviously wants to play.

I don't think that kind of player is somebody we will ever bring in, we can't afford how much a player of that calibre would cost. If he can do the things you say he can, he'd cost a bomb.

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I don't personally believe there's a feasible replacement for Tosin on the market. He's a unique footballer who provided an asset we've not really seen from a centre-half at Ewood Park for a long while. You look at the loan options, the frees and the cheaper CB's of Championship quality, they're all Darragh Lenihan types, all defence and no passing or dribbling ability. If Tosin can't return, I don't think the solution is to spend £2m on an average centre-half, I think the answer is to move to a 3atb or 5atb system. 

If the budget is £3m, we can't be wasting two thirds of it on a centre-back who won't be anything like as good as Tosin was for us. Focus those funds on a tolerable goalkeeper, a left back and whatever other hole needs filling, because the market for high quality central defenders is practically non-existent for a team with our funds available this summer.

A defenders first job is to defend. Great footballer, but Tosin can't have been that good at defending considering the number of goals we conceded. An experienced, solid Championship CD should be first on Mowbray's shopping list, along with an experienced, competent goalkeeper. 

• Like 5

Just now, JoeH said:

I don't think that kind of player is somebody we will ever bring in, we can't afford how much a player of that calibre would cost. If he can do the things you say he can, he'd cost a bomb.

Couple of mil would do it. 

21 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Couple of mil would do it. 

If he'd only cost a couple of mil, with that CV, he's definitely not as good as we need.

29 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If he'd only cost a couple of mil, with that CV, he's definitely not as good as we need.

Again do some research. In last year of his contract.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, renrag said:

A like for like replacement is not what I’d be looking for. None of Faz, Keely, Moran, Hendry etc were over blessed with passing or dribbling ability but they certainly knew how to keep the goals against column down.

If you were a striker who would you rather play against - Tosin or Glenn Keeley or Kevin Moran ? I know who I'd rather lock horns with.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

So in one post he's too good of a player for us, and in the next he isn't.

You are a difficult man to please

No... It's very clear I'm saying that:

EITHER he's too good for us and wouldn't be available for £2m, based off the description given of this amazing footballer, OR he's not as good as is being made out and isn't somebody we want. There's no player of that described quality buyable for £2m. There just isn't. 

Read whats going on before trying to propose I've changed my mind, whereas infact I'd merely suggested it can't be one thing if not the other.

42 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Again do some research. In last year of his contract.

If he is as good as you propose, why is he in his last year of contract, not playing games and not been snapped up?

Either he's this amazing talent we can sign to replace Tosin, or he's not. If he was good enough why on earth is he available in that manner....

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I don't personally believe there's a feasible replacement for Tosin on the market. He's a unique footballer who provided an asset we've not really seen from a centre-half at Ewood Park for a long while. You look at the loan options, the frees and the cheaper CB's of Championship quality, they're all Darragh Lenihan types, all defence and no passing or dribbling ability. If Tosin can't return, I don't think the solution is to spend £2m on an average centre-half, I think the answer is to move to a 3atb or 5atb system. 

If the budget is £3m, we can't be wasting two thirds of it on a centre-back who won't be anything like as good as Tosin was for us. Focus those funds on a tolerable goalkeeper, a left back and whatever other hole needs filling, because the market for high quality central defenders is practically non-existent for a team with our funds available this summer.

I know Tosin's a pretty rare centreback at Championship level but I wouldn't say its critical to get someone with his technical skills. A blood and thunder defender who gets his head on everything, has pace and is positionally good would would arguably be an improvement over him. That shouldnt be too hard to find (I hope).

Id take that over a passer whose positionally weak or poor in the air any day.

• Like 9

Just now, JoeH said:

EITHER he's too good for us and wouldn't be available for £2m, based off the description given of this amazing footballer, OR he's not as good as is being made out and isn't somebody we want. There's no player of that described quality buyable for £2m. There just isn't. 

Read whats going on before trying to propose I've changed my mind, whereas infact I'd merely suggested it can't be one thing if not the other.

and Toisin wasn't as good as you were making out. At West Brom he ended up at full back because they thought they had better CBs than him. Granted he was better than what we had but to me he was not the type we needed. We needed a defender first and a footballer second.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If he is as good as you propose, why is he in his last year of contract, not playing games and not been snapped up?

Either he's this amazing talent we can sign to replace Tosin, or he's not. If he was good enough why on earth is he available in that manner....

So, you have not listened and still have not done a bit of research for yourself. I have never said whether or not he is as good as Tosin. He is certainly an upgrade on our other options at CB aside from Lenihan though. Which is the whole point right? We need to strengthen on what we have at the back with some permanent incomings. 23 years old and has the potential to be an excellent CB at this level and possibly even the PL (considering WBA being heavily linked to him).

He is in the last year of his contract presumably because he has let in run down due to a lack of playing time. I have read various interviews and he is highly ambitious and wants to play.

I just do not understand your logic. We should not sign a player who is available with a year-left on his contract because he is available with a year left on his contract? Makes zero sense.

You are just throwing out any transfer suggestions at CB so that you can continue with your suggestion of changing to a back 3 or 5 (both pointless ideas if you ask me). Besides we would need 'defenders' for that any way so not sure why you are being so dismissive of potential signings we could go for.  

Some harsh words towards Tosin here, I thought he was our best defender by a fairly decent margin better than Lenihan and Nyambe who are thought of quite highly (generally). He will be missed by me , he didn’t bully strikers but he didn’t need to...apart from his passing he was pretty quiet which is good for a centre back. If you have a defender constantly making these blood and thunder tackles or last ditch body on the line sort of stuff it looks good in highlights but they’re generally shite positionally which I don’t think Tosin was. Victim of looking too laid back I think.

I will emphasise truly you don’t need anything better than solid at the back to get out of this division you just need a competent tactician. I am pretty sure better centre backs than Tosin would struggle here with our poor defensive tactics.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheWeasel said:

Some harsh words towards Tosin here, I thought he was our best defender by a fairly decent margin better than Lenihan and Nyambe who are thought of quite highly (generally). He will be missed by me , he didn’t bully strikers but he didn’t need to...apart from his passing he was pretty quiet which is good for a centre back. If you have a defender constantly making these blood and thunder tackles or last ditch body on the line sort of stuff it looks good in highlights but they’re generally shite positionally which I don’t think Tosin was. Victim of looking too laid back I think.

I will emphasize truly you don’t need anything better than solid at the back to get out of this division you just need a competent tactician. I am pretty sure better centre backs than Tosin would struggle here with our poor defensive tactics.

I don't really agree with this. We conceded a lot of goals this year - and while definitely the majority of the blame sits with a poor keeper and fullbacks Tosin was okay but not first rate defensively, he got beat in the air a few times and pulled out of position from time to time. If he stayed I would be fine with it, but there are improvements we could make there as we need to bring someone else into the team.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Tosin was nice to watch, but we still conceded 60 goals

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't really agree with this. We conceded a lot of goals this year - and while definitely the majority of the blame sits with a poor keeper and fullbacks Tosin was okay but not first rate defensively, he got beat in the air a few times and pulled out of position from time to time. If he stayed I would be fine with it, but there are improvements we could make there as we need to bring someone else into the team.

Oh for sure I’m not saying the guy is irreplaceable by any stretch of the imagination but I think he was our best defender this season. An experienced goalkeeper for communicating with the back four and a good sweeper style cb would be ideal to complement lenihans more gung ho approach. These players need to be bought quickly rather than the usual pissing about we do.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Adarabioyo is very difficult to replace but moreso because of his technical ability, and the priority is conceding less goals, not playing out from the back. He wasnt a bad defender either of course but there is nothing wrong with getting in the type of player in which you turn your nose up to, players whose first priority is to defend. I dont think he is a realistic signing but someone like Ayala would be a better defender than Adarabioyo and help us probably concede less, even though he lacks the footballing ability of Adarabioyo.

I dont understand why you seem to think that an extra centre back automatically means a tighter defence, especially when it involved converting full backs to play there.

You look at teams who have conceded less, Preston are the obvious one. They lack an Armstrong or a Dack but they are built on solid foundations, getting a normal centre back like Bauer has really improved them, no nonsense to an extent, no transfer fee, one we missed out on. We shouldnt be snobbish towards players like that. Teams like Millwall, Forest, Swansea and Cardiff, they are organised better than us, they put more emphasis into defending properly, even when we brought in a good centre back at last, it was one who stands out for his technical ability.

I also dont see us spending 3m.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

and the priority is conceding less goals, not playing out from the back

I don't believe they are TM's priorities. I'd agree with them, but the club want to play out from the back, that's been clear for about 18 months.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Mahrez cost Leicester City around £450k. Isn't there an argument that says they could have turned round and said he can't be that good if he's only costing £450k. There's no player of that quality buyable for £450k.

Surely it's the scouts job to find the gems that are worth more than the selling club values them.

Edited by LeftWinger
  • Like 6

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Mahrez cost Leicester City around £450k. Isn't there an argument that says they could have turned round and said he can't be that good if he's only costing £450k. There's no player of that quality buyable for £450k.

Surely it's the scouts job to find the gems that are worth more than the selling club values them.

Yes, Benrhama was cheap too from French L2

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I don't believe they are TM's priorities. I'd agree with them, but the club want to play out from the back, that's been clear for about 18 months.

If his main priority when signing defenders isnt to concede less goals, then we can forget about progression anyway.

• Like 6