BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

16 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He is better than all our midfield and for 2m its a bargain believe me. And we have been tracking him for 18 months, big fail on Mowbray part if we don't secure him.

Did you not say he met with Mowbray and Venus previously and he left feeling unimpressed?

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Yeah that's my bad. I keep using £2-4m, because having researched him before, I don't think we'd get him at £2m, he's got a great youth CV and at 23 won't come cheap at all I don't reckon. I think he's out of our price range IMO but as you say you could take the option of spending a majority of the budget on defenders - which is a perfectly reasonable action to believe in. 

I like you as a poster Joe. But you seem to be simultaneously arguing that this guy is too expensive for us, but also can't be good enough due to his price (from this and also the other posts). You're also saying his great youth CV makes him too expensive, but downplaying his actual CV.

Tbh if you haven't seem him play, as I haven't, I'd stop trying to discredit the suggestion the poster made. I look at players based on their background off a quick search too, but personally I think you've expended too much energy arguing against this one if you're not already well up on him. Apologies if you've already let it drop, I haven't refreshed the thread ?

• Like 3

IF we have cash to the tune of multi millions to spend on someone like Whiteman then fine. Highly rated, could be a good addition.

But here we have the paradox of Rovers these days. 

What cash we do have should be directed towards the gaping holes in our squad. CB and GK. If the season started tomorrow we could cope without Whiteman. We couldn't cope without at least one new decent CB and at least one GK.

Who would be surprised if we went early and spent a bob or two on this lad for a non priority position only to spend zero on the critical positions and end up scrambling around for frees and loans late on?

It also wouldn't surprise me to see Stoke come in for Evans at some point. I expect he is high on O'Neill's list. I wouldn't be keen on that one because him and Travis seem to be the perfect partnership.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Yeah that's my bad. I keep using £2-4m, because having researched him before, I don't think we'd get him at £2m, he's got a great youth CV and at 23 won't come cheap at all I don't reckon. I think he's out of our price range IMO but as you say you could take the option of spending a majority of the budget on defenders - which is a perfectly reasonable action to believe in. 

I like you as a poster Joe. But you seem to be simultaneously arguing that this guy is too expensive for us, but also can't be good enough due to his price (from this and also the other posts). You're also saying his great youth CV makes him too expensive, but downplaying his actual CV.

Tbh if you haven't seem him play, as I haven't, I'd stop trying to discredit the suggestion the poster made. I look at players based on their background off a quick search too, but personally I think you've expended too much energy arguing against this one if you're not already well up on him. Apologies if you've already let it drop, I haven't refreshed the thread ?

• Like 2

Just now, bluebruce said:

A simple 'Decent shout but I would rather go for xxx or spent the money on a keeper' would have sufficed. We move on. Better than going to such great lengths to discredit this one random suggestion - which is all it was. 

Anyway, dont want to start the whole thing up again.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

He is better than all our midfield and for 2m its a bargain believe me. And we have been tracking him for 18 months, big fail on Mowbray part if we don't secure him.

Pretty sure this would just be the absolute typical bog standard fail on Mowbrays part.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, JHRover said:

IF we have cash to the tune of multi millions to spend on someone like Whiteman then fine. Highly rated, could be a good addition.

But here we have the paradox of Rovers these days. 

What cash we do have should be directed towards the gaping holes in our squad. CB and GK. If the season started tomorrow we could cope without Whiteman. We couldn't cope without at least one new decent CB and at least one GK.

Who would be surprised if we went early and spent a bob or two on this lad for a non priority position only to spend zero on the critical positions and end up scrambling around for frees and loans late on?

It also wouldn't surprise me to see Stoke come in for Evans at some point. I expect he is high on O'Neill's list. I wouldn't be keen on that one because him and Travis seem to be the perfect partnership.

I think you are right about Stoke.

However, I don't think Evans has delivered consistently in all the years he has been here. Before his injury against Preston, I was actively hoping Stoke would take him off our hands...for a fee.

• Like 2

Danny Ward had a great season for Huddersfield the season they got promoted from the Championship, he signed for Leicester in 2018 but hasn’t made one league appearance yet. He’s 27 now so surely he’ll want to be a number 1 soon enough, very good keeper. Doubt we’d be able to afford a fee but if Leicester were willing to loan him out we should be all over that. Decent number two for them to have though so it’s probably unlikely. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Even if he's brilliant I would really think carefully about spending 2m on a central midfielder when we have so many of them and it's the area where we already have the best quality.

• Like 1

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Even if he's brilliant I would really think carefully about spending 2m on a central midfielder when we have so many of them and it's the area where we already have the best quality.

Nothing wrong with improving on what we have but yeah only if we have an adequate budget left over for our more pressing needs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Agree, we need some defenders and a goalie.  Evans to Stoke is plausible though, so with all this money off the wage bill, perhaps we should invest in quality 

47 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'd stop trying to discredit the suggestion the poster made

39 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

A simple 'Decent shout but I would rather go for xxx or spent the money on a keeper' would have sufficed. We move on. Better than going to such great lengths to discredit this one random suggestion - which is all it was. 

I wasn't discrediting you. I stated my opinion. Albeit I went into more detail than "Decent shout but", I still gave my opinion. If you're after someone who'll say things like that then I'm not your guy, and you may as well use the 'ignore' option for me.

I've never once discredited you as a poster on this message-board, I'm simply stating my opinion on what you suggested, as everyone is welcome to do / should be encouraged to do in my opinion.

Edited by JoeH

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

LiveLancs saying rumour of a meeting with Whiteman was untrue.

Interesting how that came about then. Bond is an interesting option for GK, not one I'd thought of, but appeals imo.

18 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I must have been watching a different team to many last season.

Our CM is ok with Travis in there and woeful without him.

Yes, we need help at LB, CB and GK, but a better defensive screen for the back 4 goes a long way to improving that goals against column.

Not to mention what a good CM partnership does for your attack (assuming this lad doesn't just pass backwards and sideways like Evans and Johnson).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I must have been watching a different team to many last season.

Our CM is ok with Travis in there and woeful without him.

Yes, we need help at LB, CB and GK, but a better defensive screen for the back 4 goes a long way to improving that goals against column.

Not to mention what a good CM partnership does for your attack (assuming this lad doesn't just pass backwards and sideways like Evans and Johnson).

He isn't particularly the defensive screen type though is he, @Sparks Rover ?

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

No rumour.

Weird they'd say it didn't happen so definitively if it did, unless the club is keeping quiet lest they be accused of tapping up?

Any update? Whiteman excites me, strikes as what Bradley Johnson was 5-10 years ago.

23 minutes ago, Mike E said:

LiveLancs saying rumour of a meeting with Whiteman was untrue.

Interesting how that came about then. Bond is an interesting option for GK, not one I'd thought of, but appeals imo.

Genuinely discredit most things I read in Lancs Live. 

However I do like some of the content.

Feel like a few of the articles have a headline that is just clickbait.

Edited by RoversClitheroe