BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Cauley Woodrow is a good player but you can't help but feel Gallagher can give us that if he plays between the goalposts. 

But, for £2.5m, I'd sign him every day of the week.

I want to see us linked with a feckin goalkeeper though. Our name should be thrown in with literally every available keeper out there even if out of pure lazy journalism... we don't have one ffs.

• Like 1

Interesting to look at the potential sale value of our squad now. If we had a Brentford style model (which I''m not advocating for or rubbishing either), we'd probably have sold Dack for £15m a year ago, Lenihan would've gone for £6m when Sheffield United wanted him, Travis would be off this summer for £8m to a Newcastle and Armstrong would go next summer for anything between £10m and £20m (Depending on whether he can grab another 17 goals in 2020/21). 

We haven't gone down that selling route but I tell you what, if we were a selling team to the extent of a Brentford, we could have some serious resources to build a serious squad. Yet, we could sell Dack, Armstrong, Travis, Lenihan and Nyambe for a combined total of £37,500,000 and still we wouldn't see more than £7-8m of it invested back into player buys. Because that's the way selling clubs work, and without the clearly superior scouting and negotiating team they have down in London at Brentford's set up, we can't afford to sell on our best players and start again.

Jealous of it, big time, I'd be so impressed if we went to the French Ligue 2 and found the next Benrahma on a free, but does anybody expect it? I know I don't. We keep hearing about Europe, and the scouting philosophies  - but we never see those fruits.

A great window for me really would be spending the total sum of nothing on four or five 22-25 year olds from Leagues and Teams in EU that I've never heard of, because it shows the club have actually gone out there and found some talents, or at least what they think might be talents. Spending however many millions on rebuilding a side to emulate one which finished 11th with average player buys from the CH... doesn't appeal to me. The answer has to be the European market, cheaper wages, more options, different play styles.

Praying that Tony gets it right, but knowing that he most likely won't.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Cauley Woodrow is a good player but you can't help but feel Gallagher can give us that if he plays between the goalposts. 

Agreed. We have a big lad striker type, he doesn't suit our playstyle so neither would Cauley Woodrow. Pretty cheap at £2.5m but still a waste of budget considering we only spent £5m on a similar style player last summer.

1 minute ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

What as Walton's replacement. Cant do no worse

He might have wrists with more structure than a poppadom

You know what I meant though ?

An old coach of mine used to explain wherever he wanted a player by markings on the pitch. The striker wasn't to leave either side of the goalposts; me as the defensive midfielder was too far wide if I left the edges of the 18 yard box, and too far forward if I was closer to their D than the semi-circle / the ball was between me and the goalkeeper. Maybe someone should try and do the same to our strikers, who without Graham and Dack are never in the bloody box when we need them to be. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 2

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

An old coach of mine used to explain wherever he wanted a player by markings on the pitch. The striker wasn't to leave either side of the goalposts; me as the defensive midfielder was too far wide if I left the edges of the 18 yard box, and too far forward if I was closer to their D than the semi-circle / the ball was between me and the goalkeeper. Maybe someone should try and do the same to our strikers, who without Graham and Dack are never in the bloody box when we need them to be. 

I suspect it is tactical why they are not in the box. SG needs to use his physical strengths more when he plays centrally like his goal against Reading.

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Interesting to look at the potential sale value of our squad now. If we had a Brentford style model (which I''m not advocating for or rubbishing either), we'd probably have sold Dack for £15m a year ago, Lenihan would've gone for £6m when Sheffield United wanted him, Travis would be off this summer for £8m to a Newcastle and Armstrong would go next summer for anything between £10m and £20m (Depending on whether he can grab another 17 goals in 2020/21). 

We haven't gone down that selling route but I tell you what, if we were a selling team to the extent of a Brentford, we could have some serious resources to build a serious squad. Yet, we could sell Dack, Armstrong, Travis, Lenihan and Nyambe for a combined total of £37,500,000 and still we wouldn't see more than £7-8m of it invested back into player buys. Because that's the way selling clubs work, and without the clearly superior scouting and negotiating team they have down in London at Brentford's set up, we can't afford to sell on our best players and start again.

Jealous of it, big time, I'd be so impressed if we went to the French Ligue 2 and found the next Benrahma on a free, but does anybody expect it? I know I don't. We keep hearing about Europe, and the scouting philosophies  - but we never see those fruits.

A great window for me really would be spending the total sum of nothing on four or five 22-25 year olds from Leagues and Teams in EU that I've never heard of, because it shows the club have actually gone out there and found some talents, or at least what they think might be talents. Spending however many millions on rebuilding a side to emulate one which finished 11th with average player buys from the CH... doesn't appeal to me. The answer has to be the European market, cheaper wages, more options, different play styles.

Praying that Tony gets it right, but knowing that he most likely won't.

The last time we tried anything like this we some Portuguese lads who got nowhere near capable, Petrovic who was described as box to box, but we wasn't capable with the ball. More recently didn't we have a forward from ligue 2 who lasted half a season?

Not as easy as Brentford have made it look otherwise every club would be doing it. 

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

I thought Middlesbrough were making cutbacks and were in FFP trouble?

Warnock's staying on for next season apparently. I'm sure he wouldn't have if he didn't have room to manoeuvre in the transfer market. A lot of the big earners are being sold apparently. 

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-agrees-become-middlesbrough-18672997

49 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I've mentioned this before but maybe you didn't see it. That striker for the England womens team who scored nearly all our goals in the last womens world cup was interviewed about goalscoring. Previously she'd been running around a lot up front and either not getting the chances or not being sharp enough to take them.

Phil Neville told her " Imagine the edges of the penalty area continue down the pitch. I don't want to see you moving out of that area ever again. Try and move around a bit less. It worked for Van Nistleroy, it'll work for you, so try it ".

After that she start getting amongst the goals again.

• Like 4

Good news though for Caley and Co. who will be able to work for a fraction of the hassle and aggro, and be home in time for tea.

Anyone else explain why we need to pay circa 50 stewards to stand around inside the ground watching the game when there are no fans there?

Surely one stationed on each gate outside would suffice and save thousands in unnecessary expenses.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I reckon our chances (and anyone relying on ticket receipts) of spending any money this season has just taken a huge blow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53556072

We may well be weeing with the willy we have.

Good job our stadium is too big for us ? about time we had a full house at Ewood 12 thousand ?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I reckon our chances (and anyone relying on ticket receipts) of spending any money this season has just taken a huge blow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53556072

We may well be weeing with the willy we have.

I'm guessing reduced capacity restrictions will have less of an impact on us than others who actually fill their stadiums. If anything it could potentially reduce the value of players and have less of a negative impact on our income than say a Nottingham Forest or a Sheffield Wednesday.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Good news though for Caley and Co. who will be able to work for a fraction of the hassle and aggro, and be home in time for tea.

Anyone else explain why we need to pay circa 50 stewards to stand around inside the ground watching the game when there are no fans there?

Surely one stationed on each gate outside would suffice and save thousands in unnecessary expenses.

I guess they are trying to keep people employed. Plenty of companies are doing it and I fully support it.

• Like 1

Good Freebie goali going in Holland .. Warner Hahn 

Warner Hahn's period at SC Heerenveen came to an abrupt end due to the corona crisis.  His contract has now expired and the 28-year-old goalkeeper hopes for a nice adventure abroad.
 Hahn signed a three-year contract with Heerenveen in mid-2017.  After a disappointing first year - Hahn was out for months due to an injury - he has been the regular under the bar for the past two seasons.  'When I signed with Heerenveen, I indicated that I wanted to continue in the end.  Wanted to take a step, preferably abroad, because that is my dream.  The plan was that I would be resold after one or maybe two years.  It turned out differently.  But my plan is still the same. "

The keeper is disappointed with his farewell to Heerenveen, or rather: the lack thereof.  "I would have liked to thank the supporters, walked around the stadium again.  It is no different in these times, but I would like to do it again at a later time. "
 Abroad
 Hahn previously played for Feyenoord, PEC Zwolle, Excelsior and FC Dordrecht.  He hopes to continue his career across the border, preferably in England.  "But that's not a must.  I am open to everything, ”he says.  "A different culture, a different way of playing football, a different country.  That seems nice to experience, also for my family.  I am now 28 and have been walking in the Netherlands for a while.  I have pitched in all stadiums in the Eerste Divisie and Eredivisie, it is time for new ones. '
 "Some things have already come along, clubs that showed concrete interest.  But that was not yet the perfect option.  I am waiting for an offer that I really feel 100% good about, but when it will be difficult to predict.  Especially in this transfer summer.  My agents are busy with that and keep me constantly informed. "
 Namely, Corona means that a transfer-free status is different than usual.  Hahn: 'Normally things start to run in April or May, but now everything is confused.  In some countries they are still playing, the transfer market remains open much longer.  It's a crazy situation.  Since it's unclear when exactly leagues end and start, I just make sure I'm in top shape.  I work with a personal trainer, so that I can start right away when a nice club arrives.  I can't afford to lie on the beach now. "

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm guessing reduced capacity restrictions will have less of an impact on us than others who actually fill their stadiums. If anything it could potentially reduce the value of players and have less of a negative impact on our income than say a Nottingham Forest or a Sheffield Wednesday.

I don't know - it will be a major reason to hugely reduce the budget I think. It'll spook the finance guys massively and they will recommend minimising all spending.