BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Plenty of issues can crop up trying to sign a player sometimes you’ll miss out and it is what it is. But letting contracts run is absolutely unforgivable. I feel for the first time in a while we have a few cash cows letting contracts get down to one year is incredibly risky and very avoidable. We as a club can not afford to be lackadaisical like this.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, alex l said:

The last time we tried anything like this we some Portuguese lads who got nowhere near capable, Petrovic who was described as box to box, but we wasn't capable with the ball. More recently didn't we have a forward from ligue 2 who lasted half a season?

Not as easy as Brentford have made it look otherwise every club would be doing it. 

A few cheap gems in the likes of Samba and N’Zonzi spring to mind though (German and a French 2nd divisions I think).

Scratch the Portuguese stuff off as that was all agency rubbish rather than actually scouting. 

Brentford have a great footballing model, and certainly go about their business the right way. Shame for them that they seem to keep bottling it. 

2 minutes ago, superniko said:

A few cheap gems in the likes of Samba and N’Zonzi spring to mind though (German and a French 2nd divisions I think).

Scratch the Portuguese stuff off as that was all agency rubbish rather than actually scouting. 

Brentford have a great footballing model, and certainly go about their business the right way. Shame for them that they seem to keep bottling it. 

They have a footballing model.

I dislike that they've scrapped their Academy and they they have a foreign legion in a cloggers league.

35 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Tom White has signed for Bolton Wanderers on a season long loan.

Tom teams up with the Trotters

Good move for him. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

With the size of the squad, seeming lack of budget and other issues to deal with including a short time frame to get business done the likes of Holtby and Rothwell need to stay.

In an ideal world we'd look to upgrade but I don't see that as being possible this summer. Both have an awful lot to prove given the fanfare around them.

Letting more go now with gaps we already have would be suicidal

I would be offering Rothwell a new long term contract. 

If Nyambe wont sign a new contract then I would be looking to sell him..cant let him leave for nothing in 12 months time. Crazy situation. 

• Like 1

Not sure if it's been brought up before, but Martin Olsson is back from injury and has been looking very good playing as a makeshift centre back for his hometown club Helsingborg in the Swedish top tier. He's only there on symbolic wages in order to get his match fitness back up, and will likely move on to a new club this summer. Apparently he's already had offers from clubs in the Championship, wonder if we're among them? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Olsson is 32, was never the best defender and seemingly has struggled for fitness easily. If he hadnt played for us prior would be be mentioned? Would like to think theres better elsewhere.

On our supposed budget there probably isn’t ‘better elsewhere’.

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If Nyambe wont sign a new contract then I would be looking to sell him..cant let him leave for nothing in 12 months time. Crazy situation. 

Tribunal, not nothing. But that's still not good enough. I thought we already established there is a 1 year extension option in the club's favour though? Or that might have been Dack.

3 minutes ago, AAK said:

On our supposed budget there probably isn’t ‘better elsewhere’.

Very true, but that means that ultinately our defence will remain incapable of keeping the number of goals conceded down enough for us to challenge.

There are free agents from this league, Morgan Fox, Tyler Blackett, George Friend, Steven Kingsley, all of them are very limited. You would think it will require a bit of imagination and a loan or someone from this fabled "European scouting network" if we are to find anyone worthwhile.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Very true, but that means that ultinately our defence will remain incapable of keeping the number of goals conceded down enough for us to challenge.

There are free agents from this league, Morgan Fox, Tyler Blackett, George Friend, Steven Kingsley, all of them are very limited. You would think it will require a bit of imagination and a loan or someone from this fabled "European scouting network" if we are to find anyone worthwhile.

Agree totally pal, however that word ‘imagination’ isn’t one that you can attach to the manager, board, owners and club in general, we just plod along.

• Like 3

It is mindboggling that with the money we have spent in the past few seasons and the fact we have not 'had' to sell anyone off, that we are still in a position where we need at least 5 players of starting pedigree. A GK, a LB, two CB's and a new DG. That's half a team almost. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Morgan Fox would give us a functional left back. That's a step up. I would like to know that Mowbray has an independently verified list of targets provided to him by the vaunted 'european scouting network' to prove their value..

Just now, JacknOry said:

It is mindboggling that with the money we have spent in the past few seasons and the fact we have not 'had' to sell anyone off, that we are still in a position where we need at least 5 players of starting pedigree. A GK, a LB, two CB's and a new DG. 

Very good point. Aren't we also now at the end of Mowbray's 'four or five transfer windows' plan? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

It is mindboggling that with the money we have spent in the past few seasons and the fact we have not 'had' to sell anyone off, that we are still in a position where we need at least 5 players of starting pedigree. A GK, a LB, two CB's and a new DG. That's half a team almost. 

Yep. I mean it's largely because under Mowbray our defensive and GK additions have totalled three loans, Leutwiler (always intended as backup) and Bell, I believe, but yep, mind boggling.

(Oh and Hart, who was surely only ever seen as a prospect. Point is we haven't even really tried to permanently strengthen this area, apart from probably LB, which is staggering when it's been our weakest area ever since we sold Hanley and Duffy for a mint)

Edited by bluebruce

Yep the neglect of the defense. Mismanagement of funds to spend all that money on the front line and neglect the back line. Wouldn't mind so much if our supposed multi-million strikers knew where the net was. Then again, they are wingers in the eyes of TM. 

You just know that it is going to be a couple of freebies and a couple of loans once again. Then on deadline day we will stump up for another CM or misfiring striker. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Would you accept that we are only in this crazy situation due to Mowbray, and his blind determination to play Elliott Bennett at all costs (usually Nyambe's).

Any other manager - I literally mean any - would have seen this and had Nyambe signed up till at least 2022, LAST summer. He is a physical beast, who needs coached, not made casualty #1 every time we have our strongest XI available meaning Bennett has to play (somewhere).

Like with Raya, Mowbray is going to cost us another (potentially) brilliant young player for relative pennies... unless he gets him signed ASAP.

9 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

A GK, a LB, two CB's and a new DG. That's half a team almost. 

I'd actually be okay with Bell as our LB IF it allowed us have a quality GK and CB alongside Lenihan, and maybe a Whiteman in midfield. There is a player in there somewhere... like Nyambe.

Would we have made the playoffs with this as our defensive 7 for most of the season - Raya, Bell, Tosin, Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis, Whiteman? Walton and Bennett in the back 5 ruined our season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Would you accept that we are only in this crazy situation due to Mowbray, and his blind determination to play Elliott Bennett at all costs (usually Nyambe's).

Any other manager - I literally mean any - would have seen this and had Nyambe signed up till at least 2022, LAST summer. He is a physical beast, who needs coached, not made casualty #1 every time we have our strongest XI available meaning Bennett has to play (somewhere).

Like with Raya, Mowbray is going to cost us another (potentially) brilliant young player for relative pennies... unless he gets him signed ASAP.

I'd actually be okay with Bell as our LB IF it allowed us have a quality GK and CB alongside Lenihan, and maybe a Whiteman in midfield. There is a player in there somewhere... like Nyambe.

Would we have made the playoffs with this as our defensive 7 for most of the season - Raya, Bell, Tosin, Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis, Whiteman? Walton and Bennett in the back 5 ruined our season.

Bell is 4 years older and I do not see where this hidden competent left back is. 

It would be crazy to prioritise a midfielder over a left back. I cant see Whiteman signing at all.

• Like 5

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

'd actually be okay with Bell as our LB IF it allowed us have a quality GK and CB alongside Lenihan, and maybe a Whiteman in midfield. There is a player in there somewhere... like Nyambe.

The fact that we even got into a position of having Bennett and Walton in our backline is borderline criminal itself. 

Bell for me would be a backup LB. At least Nyambe has some athleticism and looks bothered. We need a LB and we certainly need a CB (two in fact) and a GK. That has to be the minimum. You know we will get two of them and then a couple of loans. 

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

It would be crazy to prioritise a midfielder over a left back. I cant see Whiteman signing at all.

Even if we did prioritise Whiteman over the left back, we still wont get him. The way things are done here, we would miss out on him anyway as other clubs are far more proactive.