BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Didn't he also say Raya sale was to help buy a new keeper. In came a loan.

He also said loans aren't the way to progress. The defenders all were loans.

He also said that he's there to help the club progress.

He also said the aim this season was playoffs.

Shall I go on? 

I get the impression you will never need an invitation to go on.

I was pointing out a fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Has to be Trav or AA for me. Young, English and playing very well in the Championship. £10m is still a pittance in the PL. Pandemic or not, gate Reciepts aren’t as important to them and they have to spend anyway to remain competitive.

Fair enough. Whether we actually sign them or not is not what makes them credible. Clubs speak to lots of players they’re interested in.

The fact that we had a meeting with Ben Whiteman who would command a £1m fee tells me that the budget has been set. Negotiating a new contract with Downing having previously held off because we didn’t have a budget, also tells me that they have a budget.

So I go back to my original point. They have a budget. 

Your probably right about a set budget.  But we also have history of having a set budget and chasing players we can't afford, then bemoaning that they were too expensive!  

Apart from the fact he's a midfielder (and we have glaring issues elsewhere), I like the idea of signing Whiteman.  Good age at 24, best player at his club.  Bit like a 'Dack' signing. 

That's the kind of profile I'd like us to aim for. He could dove tail very nicely with Travis. 

Though not sure how good he'll be playing right wing?‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Your probably right about a set budget.  But we also have history of having a set budget and chasing players we can't afford, then bemoaning that they were too expensive!  

Apart from the fact he's a midfielder (and we have glaring issues elsewhere), I like the idea of signing Whiteman.  Good age at 24, best player at his club.  Bit like a 'Dack' signing. 

That's the kind of profile I'd like us to aim for. He could dove tail very nicely with Travis. 

Though not sure how good he'll be playing right wing?‍♂️

Or left back ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Has to be Trav or AA for me. Young, English and playing very well in the Championship. £10m is still a pittance in the PL. Pandemic or not, gate Reciepts aren’t as important to them and they have to spend anyway to remain competitive.

Fair enough. Whether we actually sign them or not is not what makes them credible. Clubs speak to lots of players they’re interested in.

The fact that we had a meeting with Ben Whiteman who would command a £1m fee tells me that the budget has been set. Negotiating a new contract with Downing having previously held off because we didn’t have a budget, also tells me that they have a budget.

So I go back to my original point. They have a budget. 

Unless of course in an effort to overcome the Venky syndrome Mowbray is doing things back to front.

E.g. he still doesn't have any confirmed budget, nor has he even spoken to the owners. He knows this is a potentially disastrous situation to be in as far as summer recruitment is concerned. So he attempts to work within that situation by speaking to players first, doing his homework on them, in the hope or expectation that at some stage in the near future he is given some sort of budget and then he can give the green light to sigings. In a case like Whiteman he will already know that having chopped significant wages off the books that adding a young lad from League One is likely to be doable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

WBA were interested in. Maybe they still want him. 

Maybe Bournemouth have put the bid in for him. 

Like you say it could be Travis. West Ham or Palace could been interest in him. If West Ham was interest in him I would be asking for Cullen in part exchange plus a fee. 

on what basis are you suggesting these things?

All I have ever seen was a 'link' in some tabloid about WBA being 'interested' in Dack. That was more than a year ago, before they got promoted. There's no evidence it even went anywhere.

Are you just plucking clubs out of thin air like Bournemouth, West Ham and Palace? Or have you seen something somewhere that suggests they might be interested in our players?

Why would we be selling anyone to AFC Bournemouth? Would they even have a transfer policy yet with Howe possibly leaving? Are we ambitious as a club because selling players to Bournemouth isn't.

Its no wonder made up rumours spread like wildfire.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

All I have ever seen was a 'link' in some tabloid about WBA being 'interested' in Dack. That was more than a year ago, before they got promoted. There's no evidence it even went anywhere.

Are you just plucking clubs out of thin air like Bournemouth, West Ham and Palace? Or have you seen something somewhere that suggests they might be interested in our players?

Why would we be selling anyone to AFC Bournemouth? Would they even have a transfer policy yet with Howe possibly leaving? Are we ambitious as a club because selling players to Bournemouth isn't.

Now, now, you use this as fact yourself when the argument suits. 

1 hour ago, Richard Oakley said:

Meeting with players is not an indication or confirmation that there is a budget. Free agent wages are paid out of current wages.

In previous transfer windows, Mowbray has said  'we don't need to sell'. This year , it's 'he doesn't want to sell. After the new club financial year, Venkys have in the past said they'll continue to pay the wages. They've not said that this year.

The £10m bid is probably from Sheff Utd for Lenihan. They've bid that last two summers. if they'd made it £10m plus O'Connell, I'd be tempted.

We'd not get Whiteman for £1m. Doncaster rejected a 7 figure bid for him last summer. Perhaps you'd know why he was unimpressed with Mowbray, assuming the meeting actually took place?

£10m for lenihan, and O’Connell? Deary me ??

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Unless of course in an effort to overcome the Venky syndrome Mowbray is doing things back to front.

E.g. he still doesn't have any confirmed budget, nor has he even spoken to the owners. He knows this is a potentially disastrous situation to be in as far as summer recruitment is concerned. So he attempts to work within that situation by speaking to players first, doing his homework on them, in the hope or expectation that at some stage in the near future he is given some sort of budget and then he can give the green light to sigings. In a case like Whiteman he will already know that having chopped significant wages off the books that adding a young lad from League One is likely to be doable.

Plausible 

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Its was Josh who posted the Dack story to WBA in December 2019 so 7 months. 

Palace are looking for younger players so Travis would suit that philosophy. 

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2020/july/roy-hodgsons-comments-pre-crystal-palace-v-tottenham-hotspur/

If West Ham lose Rice to Chelsea, I think Travis would be good replacement. 

You complain about rumours but a number of people have posted them in a last few days but I notice you DIDN'T complain then!!!

Would much prefer the rumoured £10m bid to be for Dack than Armstrong. 

1) If Armstrong manages another 17 goal season he’s worth more than £10m in my eyes.

2) Dack is much older than Armstrong and won’t hold his value for anything like as long. 

3) We’ve spent 6 months without Dack already, so the transition of losing him would be smoother than the transition of losing our only current goal scorer in Armstrong. 

4) There is still a certain % chance that Dack returns a shell of his former self. Whilst I don’t necessarily believe that will happen, it could, whereas Armstrong has been banging them in for a long while now and is unlikely to drop form.

Just now, JoeH said:

1) If Armstrong manages another 17 goal season he’s worth more than £10m in my eyes.

2) Dack is much older than Armstrong and won’t hold his value for anything like as long. 

3) We’ve spent 6 months without Dack already, so the transition of losing him would be smoother than the transition of losing our only current goal scorer in Armstrong. 

4) There is still a certain % chance that Dack returns a shell of his former self. Whilst I don’t necessarily believe that will happen, it could, whereas Armstrong has been banging them in for a long while now and is unlikely to drop form.

I would want to keep Armstrong at all cost. 

They can feck off with £10 million for Dack. I think the few months he has been out has led to people forgetting how good he is! From the instagram stuff I have seen, he looks in better shape than ever. 

I always use this one for reference, but Burnley played £14 million for Jeff Hendrick and I still can't work out what he is meant to be good at! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

Just now, JoeH said:

I'd prefer it to be for Bennett.  Only way he's going!

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

They can feck off with £10 million for Dack. I think the few months he has been out has led to people forgetting how good he is! From the instagram stuff I have seen, he looks in better shape than ever. 

At 27, with a long term injury recovery, he can’t command the £15m-£20m he was once reportedly/rumoured to be worth. 

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

At 27, with a long term injury recovery, he can’t command the £15m-£20m he was once reportedly/rumoured to be worth. 

Many, many players have had a similar injury at his age or older and not only came back the same, but better. With modern medical and fitness procedures, it's not the injury that it once was. 

I agree it is unlikely someone will bid that for him now, but I think that's lucky for us. Of course players can get injured again, but nowadays I think players expect to actually come back stronger from these type of injuries. 

Accepting £10 million now would be stupid. There is a very long list of worse players who moved for more than that. If he starts well in his first 3 games back, let alone say 5, he will be back in the £15-20 million bracket. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Surely it's Buckley, right Paul? ;)

Hasn’t grown or played enough yet Bruce. But I can tell you with even more certainty than Sparks did about Whiteman, that the two clubs who have been monitoring and making contact about him will not even flinch at spending 8 figures on him. He’s the “chosen one”...not my words!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Palace are looking for younger players so Travis would suit that philosophy. 

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2020/july/roy-hodgsons-comments-pre-crystal-palace-v-tottenham-hotspur/

If West Ham lose Rice to Chelsea, I think Travis would be good replacement. 

You complain about rumours but a number of people have posted them in a last few days but I notice you DIDN'T complain then!!!

Nothing wrong with rumours Chaddy, but this is complete conjecture. Travis is a good Championship midfielder but he isn't near Premier League standard and the chances of West Ham getting £60 Million or whatever the figure might be for Rice and them signing Travis to replace him is fantasy. 

• Like 2