BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

37 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I agree, I was talking in terms of his career progression more than anything. 

Moreover, if post the Covid break, we had no intentions of going for a play off place, we had a dozen games to see what our youngsters (21 plus year olds) were capable of or not without fear of relegation. Come the close season, we would know who may be up to it or not and that should have driven our recruitment policy and who we release.

I said at the time - as soon as we fluffed it against Wigan and Barnsley, the team should have been packed with Academy prospects / young players who will be here next year to see what they're made of.

Instead we trundled out the usual suspects. Rank bad management. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Can we please stop with this "only positive opinions allowed" mentality. He is a young lad who has only played in Poland, where he was relegated, and the only opinion we have available is one that is negative and highlights a lot of flaws in his game.

Does that mean if he signed that I wouldnt give him a chance? Obviously not. But some of us dont just dismiss any potential negatives/doubts of potential signings. It is constructive and fair to consider both sides, including any doubts, on potential signings and you cant just rubbish them solely because they are "negative."

I haven't said that you only be Positive at all, but you cannot form an opinion on a player you never seen and basing that on one post from poster on this site. Joe is right by what he is saying no one can form an opinion. Rovers have signed a number of foreign players over the years where fans have known very little like Nzonzi signed from a second division French Club which got relegated, or Samba signed from Hertha Berlin B, other players like Nelsen, Mokenna, Ooijer, Pedersen, De Pedro, Kalinic, Rochina and Formica over the last 20 years which some have very good signings or ok signings or poor signings. But my point is no way could you have judge how good they would be or not when we were linked or signed them based on very limited opinion or knowledge.  

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Maybe there was a bit of hyperbole, he made 2 bad mistakes v West Brom and barely played again. A penalty save in a game he let 5 in is hardly proof that I am wrong.

As I keep saying, I am against loaning in a young goalkeeper. I think that is fair and I am not the only one.

No Hyperbole at all. You were crystal clear on your view. now you are back tracking

Raya let 5 goals at Brentford one and it didn't stop them buying him. 

2 hours ago, DanielMB said:

What I like about him is that he has always seemed quite confident and calm. He has played alot at a young age so got some good experience. He has been good in the air whenever Ive seen him. Are there any rumours about him? Would love to see him here. I Think there was a bid from an “established Championship club that belongs in the top of the League” in January

Thanks for the report DanielMB. 

Just some info that Rovers could be looking to loan young keeper from premier league club. Iversen could be possible option. 

Think I've seen Brentford linked with him 12 or so months ago pre Raya time

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Wonder if that deal is imminent or just more agent talk. 

I'd welcome a CB, can read whatever you like about what people think of him.

It's what he does in Rovers colours is all that matters to me.

what agent talk? 

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I thought we'd agreed you wrote Dowell off after seeing him play once against Rovers?

Didn't write him off tho, just that I am surprise Norwich move for him and where does he fit into the team. I commented in the game live at Ewood I've seen him in he was poor against us for Derby pre lockdown. 

54 minutes ago, schoey said:

Was speaking to my mate who is friends with him earlier and he said it seems like Wharton is preparing for life away from Ewood next season, which is a shame unless we’re planning to loan him to a league 1 club this time.

Well he has said he wants to break through at Rovers this coming season. the article was from this week. 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

The loan system has prepared him

For League One maybe, but I find it to be an extreme assumption That some loan spells in League Two make you prepared for the Championship.

However if Wharton or Maghoma is the choice for LCB, Wharton every day of the week for me. Similar age, both have no CH experience. But one costs nothing and is a graduate.

Edited by JoeH

1 hour ago, Ricky said:

I would imagine Sheffield United fans may not share your views after their experience of a young loan keeper. They’ve had two pretty useful seasons out of him.

Very true. I did mention in my earlier post that there are exceptions to that rule though. And youd have to be promoted to benefit ie in their case whereby even if he goes back to United this summer, they are in a position to blow 15m on a new keeper.

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I haven't said that you only be Positive at all, but you cannot form an opinion on a player you never seen and basing that on one post from poster on this site. Joe is right by what he is saying no one can form an opinion. Rovers have signed a number of foreign players over the years where fans have known very little like Nzonzi signed from a second division French Club which got relegated, or Samba signed from Hertha Berlin B, other players like Nelsen, Mokenna, Ooijer, Pedersen, De Pedro, Kalinic, Rochina and Formica over the last 20 years which some have very good signings or ok signings or poor signings. But my point is no way could you have judge how good they would be or not when we were linked or signed them based on very limited opinion or knowledge.  

No Hyperbole at all. You were crystal clear on your view. now you are back tracking

Raya let 5 goals at Brentford one and it didn't stop them buying him. 

You can, otherwise there is no point in this thread. As long as you are open minded when they can join, ie with Downing when most (including us 2) were against the signing initially who then went on to become very popular and successful, you can have pre-conceived ideas, discussions, debates about a player before he arrives. Otherwise this thread is pointless.

I am not backtracking. I dont want us to sign a young goalkeeper for the reasons I have mentioned.

Regarding Muric specifically, I have seen him a few times I think, but the one time I remember he made 2 errors in a 2-1 defeat that I specifically remember because there was a lot of hype about him because he played quite a few League cup games the season before for City if I remember which I will have seen, and also of course v England when he conceded 5.

So yes I went over the top, fair play, there is no indication we will sign him anyway. If we did, I stand by my comments about loaning a young keeper, and also would judge him in a Rovers shirt like anyone else. 

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well he has said he wants to break through at Rovers this coming season. the article was from this week. 

Unfortunately doesn’t mean that it’s going to happen though, does it? Given Mowbray’s reluctance to use him previously and comments about him not being big enough, and us trying to bring in a centre back the same age as him (even after blooding Carter) you’d have to think the younger centre backs we’ve already got on the books won’t feature much, if at all next season.

The article also quotes him as saying:

“I think I have come to that age where I am not a little boy anymore, I am a man of 22," he said.

“I need to get on with my career, be the best I can be and play at the highest level I can play at.”

“I think now is the time to really give it a good go.” 

So you could read that either way as optimism or the start of his exit (again). Also the interview could’ve been done days ago and things could’ve changed since then. We’ll have to wait and see but I’d be very surprised if he didn’t leave on loan again or even permanently.

10 minutes ago, schoey said:

Unfortunately doesn’t mean that it’s going to happen though, does it? Given Mowbray’s reluctance to use him previously and comments about him not being big enough, and us trying to bring in a centre back the same age as him (even after blooding Carter) you’d have to think the younger centre backs we’ve already got on the books won’t feature much, if at all next season.

The article also quotes him as saying:

“I think I have come to that age where I am not a little boy anymore, I am a man of 22," he said.

“I need to get on with my career, be the best I can be and play at the highest level I can play at.”

“I think now is the time to really give it a good go.” 

So you could read that either way as optimism or the start of his exit (again). Also the interview could’ve been done days ago and things could’ve changed since then. We’ll have to wait and see but I’d be very surprised if he didn’t leave on loan again or even permanently.

I would like to give him a chance as part of the squad. He has alot of experience under his belt now. Why not give him a chance. 

Could this be another O'Connell situation here in a few years time 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, JoeH said:

For League One maybe, but I find it to be an extreme assumption That some loan spells in League Two make you prepared for the Championship.

You don't know what you are talking about.  It happens all time...Mens football he needed and he's now got that experience.

Ferdinand went to Bournemouth 

Lampard to Swansea

Kane to Swindon etc...

Im sure there are a lot of lesser know examples 

What is wrong with being on loan 2 levels down? Never hurt loads of players who went on to have magnificent careers....the list is endless.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

You don't know what you are talking about.  It happens all time...Mens football he needed and he's now got that experience.

Lampard to Swansea

Kane to Swindon etc...

What is wrong with being on loan 2 levels down? Never hurt loads of players who went on to have magnificent careers....the list is endless.

Beckham went from playing 4th tier football with Preston to Man United regular within a matter of to months. It does a player much better to go out and play men's football rather than at 20, 21 still only playing under 23's football. 

14 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Lampard to Swansea

Kane to Swindon etc...

Absolutely it can happen, and just because it's a much lower level doesn't mean you can't hack it at two tiers up.

I think what he is saying though is that it's an extreme assumption that just because he did well at League Two level doesn't mean he WILL do well at this one. As opposed to saying the fact it was two leagues below means he CANT. I think it's a fair statement. It's just harder for us, especially as fans who haven't been watching him, to feel safe in relying on him. Personally I have no issue with him and Del duking it out for 3rd choice CB. Then see how he does and if he can compete for regular starts. But I'll be worried we are in for a long and depressing season if we are relying on Wharton making that jump, even if it may turn out golden.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Absolutely it can happen, and just because it's a much lower level doesn't mean you can't hack it at two tiers up.

I think what he is saying though is that it's an extreme assumption that just because he did well at League Two level doesn't mean he WILL do well at this one. As opposed to saying the fact it was two leagues below means he CANT. I think it's a fair statement. It's just harder for us, especially as fans who haven't been watching him, to feel safe in relying on him. Personally I have no issue with him and Del duking it out for 3rd choice CB. Then see how he does and if he can compete for regular starts. But I'll be worried we are in for a long and depressing season if we are relying on Wharton making that jump, even if it may turn out golden.

I certainly would put him ahead of Del.

Shocking player

Just looking at this Maghoma chap he went on loan to Yeovil 2015/16 season , admittedly he was only 18 at the time , didn’t play a single league game and they finished 19th in league 2 ..... and he couldn’t get a game 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would like to give him a chance as part of the squad. He has alot of experience under his belt now. Why not give him a chance. 

Could this be another O'Connell situation here in a few years time 

The reason we might not give him a chance is because the manager might not think he is good enough.

I dont know because I haven't seen enough of him the last couple of seasons.

It is a big step from League Two to the Championship.

What I do know is that it is make or break time. Either he is good enough, in which case he contributes here, or not, in which case he needs a move.

But what we don't do is just chuck him in for the sake of it and hope it works out just because he's already on the books and it is cheaper/easier than bringing someone else in or because we are making some sort of point about giving academy lads a chance. Now that would be daft and dangerous.

Just now, JHRover said:

The reason we might not give him a chance is because the manager might not think he is good enough.

I dont know because I haven't seen enough of him the last couple of seasons.

It is a big step from League Two to the Championship.

What I do know is that it is make or break time. Either he is good enough, in which case he contributes here, or not, in which case he needs a move.

But what we don't do is just chuck him in for the sake of it and hope it works out just because he's already on the books and it is cheaper/easier than bringing someone else in or because we are making some sort of point about giving academy lads a chance. Now that would be daft and dangerous.

The manager didn't think Travis was good enough until he was forced to play him. He also seems to think Bennett is comparable to Nyambe.

There's nothing daft and dangerous about having him as the 3rd / 4th option at CB (who, with the nature of the Championship, will be given plenty of time to prove himself). We still ABSOLUTELY need a quality CB partner for Lenihan. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 5