BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Burnley probably want this sort of story to try and get shut of Gibson.

Do Rovers want shut of Armstrong?

These made up stories are NOT helpful to Rovers, the player or the team. At best they cause speculation and rumours to swirl.

32 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

To be fair, JH’s point is about the club’s top assets, the likes of Pope, not deadwood.

So when the link the likes of Smallwood or others with moves, that's fine?  Anyway, maybe no one is interested in Pope at the price Burnley would want. Armstrong could be seen as a bargain gamble in and around the 10 million mark. Pickford cost 30 million, for example. Pope would be what 40 million then? 

Smallwood drained 5-10k pwk for a year seemingly with the gaffers consent after being told it's highly unlikely he'll kick a ball with the first team.  Surely they won't let Mulgrew do the same on double that.

Just think about this when we are told we can't find the extra few grand a week for a keeper on loan or something.  Mowbray should pay off these out of his own pocket !  

Wouldn't be so generous to his mates with his own money.

• Like 5

Just now, JHRover said:

Burnley probably want this sort of story to try and get shut of Gibson.

Do Rovers want shut of Armstrong?

These made up stories are NOT helpful to Rovers, the player or the team. At best they cause speculation and rumours to swirl.

"Burnely probably want this" "the Armstrong story is made up" The Dack link was made up" 

Man , you are starting to sound a bit ridiculous. 

Anyway, if a club was interested in AA, a link in the LT wasn't going to be the catalyst for that. 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Depends what is more important to the player, playing regular football or collecting a wage. 

His house is lovely there. Its a good area and close to Lytham

Smallwood wouldn't have been out of pocket by going out on loan. He would have been paid by the club loaning him and the rest of his wages made up by Rovers contractually. I still find it strange that he chose to train regularly and not play any football. Once it became apparent that he wasn't going to play he should have been offered a settlement.

Each to their own.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So when the link the likes of Smallwood or others with moves, that's fine?  Anyway, maybe no one is interested in Pope at the price Burnley would want. Armstrong could be seen as a bargain gamble in and around the 10 million mark. Pickford cost 30 million, for example. Pope would be what 40 million then? 

What’s fine? They can print anything like about whoever they like.

JH however believes that when they print stories like ‘clubs linked’ about our top players without naming said clubs, it’s just the paper doing the bidding of agents and the club to get an auction going.

Considering Sharpe has never broken a transfer story from what I can recall and gets half his info from places like this, it’s not exactly far fetched and probably common practice.

Fair enough if folk want to call it ‘conspiracy’, but it’s how Nixon and his ilk have carved out a career. Naive to think otherwise.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Smallwood wouldn't have been out of pocket by going out on loan. He would have been paid by the club loaning him and the rest of his wages made up by Rovers contractually. I still find it strange that he chose to train regularly and not play any football. Once it became apparent that he wasn't going to play he should have been offered a settlement.

Each to their own.

Loaned to slog it in League 2 where he could potentially get injured? His stock would be no higher doing that than it is now when looking for a new club, arguably lower. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Mattyblue said:

What’s fine? They can print anything like about whoever they like.

JH however believes that when they print stories like ‘clubs linked’ about our top players without naming said clubs, it’s just the paper doing the bidding of agents and the club to get an auction going.

Considering Sharpe has never broken a transfer story from what I can recall and gets half his info from places like this, it’s not exactly far fetched and probably common practice.

Fair enough if folk want to call it ‘conspiracy’, but it’s how Nixon has carved out a career. Naive to think otherwise.

It's completely different to Nixon. 

I have no doubt there is interest in Armstrong and that Sharpe would have heard this. Simple as that really. 

Yes from agents, from Nixon type hacks, from someone in the club as we need the cash.

Its not a sleight on Sharpe, from his point of view it simply fills a page of the paper in the close season, which is hard enough. It’s all part of the ecosystem of the murky world of transfers.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Loaned to slog it in League 2 where he could potentially get injured? His stock would be no higher doing that than it is now when looking for a new deal, arguably lower. 

He could have got injured in training, that's football. I might be old fashioned but in my book footballers should want to play.

• Like 2

Sharpe reporting that we will be monitoring Wharton in preseason along with the rest of our 'young' defenders. So I wouldn't expect any incoming defenders for a while yet if at all, at which point we'll be picking up scraps. 

Edited by Lucimo

Just now, arbitro said:

He could have got injured in training, that's football. I might be old fashioned but in my book footballers should want to play.

They should, but many don’t... but they are straight out with the platitudes after moving on, ‘so happy to get going again after a tough season not getting the games I’d have liked’.

4 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Sharpe reporting that we will be monitoring Wharton in preseason along with the rear of our 'young' defenders. So I wouldn't expect any incoming defenders for a while yet if at all, at which point we'll be picking up scraps. 

We do this every summer. Every pre season we set off with 6, 7, 8 younger lads who Mowbray wants to keep an eye on and see if they can break through.

But by the time the real action starts they won't be. I'm pretty sure of that especially in a crucial position like CB.

The problem is as you say this period of assessing the young lads either deters or prevents new signings coming in early doors and getting games and up to speed. 

Whether Mowbray genuinely wants to give them an opportunity or if he is sending messages off to India by giving them a try before deciding to spend instead I don't know.

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

In many cases I agree, I can just understand why Smallwood would choose to stay here, use the nice facilities and get himself in good nick for finding a new club. 

5 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Sharpe reporting that we will be monitoring Wharton in preseason along with the rear of our 'young' defenders. So I wouldn't expect any incoming defenders for a while yet if at all, at which point we'll be picking up scraps. 

Well having a strong arse worked well for Daglish and does the job for Dack , so I see the logic :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

It's a good idea to look at the younger players in pre season but we absolutely need another 1st choice CB alongside Lenihan no matter if Wharton is good enough.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We do this every summer. Every pre season we set off with 6, 7, 8 younger lads who Mowbray wants to keep an eye on and see if they can break through.

But by the time the real action starts they won't be. I'm pretty sure of that especially in a crucial position like CB.

The problem is as you say this period of assessing the young lads either deters or prevents new signings coming in early doors and getting games and up to speed. 

Whether Mowbray genuinely wants to give them an opportunity or if he is sending messages off to India by giving them a try before deciding to spend instead I don't know.

Nothing wrong with looking at Vale, Butterworth, Carter and Maglorie in pre season. 

We need another centre back or 2(if Williams leaves) in even if Wharton will be part of the 1st team squad next season. 

I would be keeping Vale here next season as part of the striker unit. 

Mowbray needs to focus on bring in 3 first choice players in the keeper, Centre back and centre midfield areas before September. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Loaned to slog it in League 2 where he could potentially get injured? His stock would be no higher doing that than it is now when looking for a new club, arguably lower. 

How high is his stock when he lost his place to a novice at championship level and hasn't kicked a ball for the first team in a year or whatever ?

Also you think clubs don't take notice of a player happy to sit out and soak up wages ?

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nothing wrong with looking at Vale, Butterworth, Carter and Maglorie in pre season. 

We need another centre back or 2(if Williams leaves) in even if Wharton will be part of the 1st team squad next season. 

I would be keeping Vale here next season as part of the striker unit. 

Mowbray needs to focus on bring in 3 first choice players in the keeper, Centre back and centre midfield areas before September. 

Agreed, we don't have a problem creating/scoring goals, If we find a way to keep a few more out then we will progress, That's why I rated Tosin so much as his passing cut out our midfield into the final 3rd, we conceded a lot of goals and could of been more if balls were played to the cms more often 

Edited by Jlee1984
  • Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

How high is his stock when he lost his place to a novice at championship level and hasn't kicked a ball for the first team in a year or whatever ?

Also you think clubs don't take notice of a player happy to sit out and soak up wages ?

Novice or not Travis is a good player, so no shame in that. Smallwood will be remembered for being a crucial part of our starting 11 that got promoted from League 1, that will have clubs interested. Dropping on loan to League 2 would only diminish that. 

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Novice or not Travis is a good player, so no shame in that. Smallwood will be remembered for being a crucial part of our starting 11 that got promoted from League 1, that will have clubs interested. Dropping on loan to League 2 would only diminish that. 

How could it diminish it though if he's playing and playing well the lge 1 stuff would still be in his resume. He might then have a few decent clubs in for him instead of the desperado's. With that goes the chance of a better contract it's called putting yourself in the window and showing you want to play and have something to offer.  It's an age old method in football and sitting out your contract doing nothing is an age old red flag about attitude.

Sorry bud but by your theory very few would bother going out on loan it's not rocket science players should want to play.  There must be something in it that contractually suits Smallwood and fair enough but it isn't a good look to potential suiters. Especially someone of his age who has a good few years left.