BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

We'll get part way through next season doing similar and going nowhere at which point i can see the manager saying maybe we need better players but we can't afford them !!!

Can just see it now, when it's something everybody knows already.  Get them playing a wait that suits them and their strengths not his so called ideals that are part fantasy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Pissed a few off last at Ewood last season with his celebration but whoever gets Rhian Brewster on loan for 2020/21 gets Top 6 for me. Played very well in 2020 and only getting better.

He is going Pl club on loan or staying at Liverpool. 

Was never coming here. 

@roversfan99, mention Parrott from Spurs going to Millwall on loan next summer. Reject loan moves to Celtic and Swansea from reports

30 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

That's been the talk coming out of the club (Mowbray) for a while, but countless times last season we resorted to Lenihan or Walton lumping it up to the likes of Armstrong. There's little evidence that the transition in style has worked. We relied almost solely on Tosin passing it out from the back to get us up the pitch with the ball on the floor and he's gone back to City. If we don't sign a defender who has a similar passing range to Tosin, we're going to see more of Lenihan lumping it forward and that's just a fact.

I wasn't actually saying I would buy those suggestions by the way. Merely just agreeing with the sentiments that Chris Martin could do a job for us and offered up Steven Fletcher as someone who would be of a similar vein. It would make sense to have a variety of options up front though. All I've seen of Vale is from his cameo appearance at the end of the season and although he looked bright, I can't comment on whether he's a viable option for a Championship front line at the moment as I don't know enough about him. Happy to hear your views on him and his playing style if you've watched a number of U23 games he's featured in.

Revolutionary, I know, but I'd sign a midfielder that can pass.

We've not had one for years.

The reason Tosin was the playmaker last year, and Mulgrew the years before, is because our CMs go hiding rather than coming short to get the ball and dictate play.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have change over the season in passing stats and the reduce in the number of long balls. 

We need to change away from the long ball to suit players like Rothwell, Armstrong, Holtby going forward. 

But we don't have the players in defence or midfield who are capable of passing the ball to these players the way that Mowbray wants them to. The likes of Holtby and Rothwell need the ball played quickly into them when they have space but our defenders and sitting midfielders don't have the ability to move the ball quickly and accurately, which is why we see so much ponderous sideways and backwards passing. Personally I think if we can sort the defence out then we are better suited to counter attacking football.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The reason Tosin was the playmaker last year, and Mulgrew the years before, is because our CMs go hiding rather than coming short to get the ball and dictate play.

I think we have one already on the books who could sit deep and try and dictate the play, Lewis Holtby.

Problem is Mowbray plays him everywhere but that role.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

How could it diminish it though if he's playing and playing well the lge 1 stuff would still be in his resume. He might then have a few decent clubs in for him instead of the desperado's. With that goes the chance of a better contract it's called putting yourself in the window and showing you want to play and have something to offer.  It's an age old method in football and sitting out your contract doing nothing is an age old red flag about attitude.

Sorry bud but by your theory very few would bother going out on loan it's not rocket science players should want to play.  There must be something in it that contractually suits Smallwood and fair enough but it isn't a good look to potential suiters. Especially someone of his age who has a good few years left.

Well if he moves to someone like Sunderland my theory will be bang on :) Would be a great move. 

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Saved me a job there. 2 bruisers who can defend would do me. As long as they are able to play a 5 yard pass to a playmaker who can dictate a quick tempo I'm good with that.

• Like 1

Just spoke with a Celtic fan there and he mentioned the Jones link. He said he was excellent for Kilmarnock and was doing well for Ranger, but that Gerrard took a dislike to him after an incident where he either got sent off or injured doing a bad tackle and never forgave him. He said Gerrard has a ruthless style that may not be in his own best interests long-term. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just spoke with a Celtic fan there and he mentioned the Jones link. He said he was excellent for Kilmarnock and was doing well for Ranger, but that Gerrard took a dislike to him after an incident where he either got sent off or injured doing a bad tackle and never forgave him. He said Gerrard has a ruthless style that may not be in his own best interests long-term. 

Well if Jones wants the exact opposite managerial style......

• Like 7

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I think we have one already on the books who could sit deep and try and dictate the play, Lewis Holtby.

Problem is Mowbray plays him everywhere but that role.

Holtby himself has said that is his best role but as we saw last season with Harrison Reed, Mowbray could spot a central midfielder if he was stood right in front of him

9 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

But we don't have the players in defence of midfield who are capable of passing the ball to these players the way that Mowbray wants them to. The likes of Holtby and Rothwell need the ball played quickly into them when they have space but our defenders and sitting midfielders don't have the ability to move the ball quickly and accurately, which is why we see so much ponderous sideways and backwards passing. Personally I think if we can sort the defence out then we are better suited to counter attacking football.

maybe thats why he is looking Ben Whiteman to play the passing midfielder and a reason why Downing played so much in centre midfield last season. I don't think Holtby can play that role for me. Much better playing the number 10 role or inside right role. 

So if you wanting to play that counter attacking football style what would your formation and starting 11 be please Ewood Ace? Just want to hear your thoughts on it  and genuine interested in them

22 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Yeah, I agree. Missing out on McGinn a couple of seasons ago was a massive blow. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

maybe thats why he is looking Ben Whiteman to play the passing midfielder and a reason why Downing played so much in centre midfield last season. I don't think Holtby can play that role for me. Much better playing the number 10 role or inside right role. 

So if you wanting to play that counter attacking football style what would your formation and starting 11 be please Ewood Ace? Just want to hear your thoughts on it  and genuine interested in them

Holtby would've been a much better fit than Downing in centre midfield. Some of our worst football last season was played when Downing played there. It's a big reason why opinions on Downing and whether he should be given another contract changed drastically after Christmas.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Downing is one of the worst culprits for slowing the play down.

The system I would play is 4-2-3-1. It's difficult to name a starting line up when I don't know what our squad will be but I would dearly hope that signing a keeper, centre back and a left back are absolute priorities. Personally I think we need 7 new players to have a squad capable of top 6 they are a keeper, centre back x2, right back, left back, central midfield, winger. If we were to do this then my starting 11 would look something like this. 

New GK

Nyambe           Lenihan              New CB      New LB

Travis                 Johnson/New                 

Holtby                          Dack                          Rothwell/New

Armstrong

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lost the heid in an old firm game, never seen again. Actually isn’t the worst but very much working off lists C and D if that’s the calibre we are looking at 

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Downing is one of the worst culprits for slowing the play down.

The system I would play is 4-2-3-1. It's difficult to name a starting line up when I don't know what our squad will be but I would dearly hope that signing a keeper, centre back and a left back are absolute priorities. Personally I think we need 7 new players to have a squad capable of top 6 they are a keeper, centre back x2, right back, left back, central midfield, winger. If we were to do this then my starting 11 would look something like this. 

New GK

Nyambe           Lenihan              New CB      New LB

Travis                 Johnson/New                 

Holtby                          Dack                          Rothwell/New

Armstrong

Team is too lightweight/ small for me