BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Downing is one of the worst culprits for slowing the play down.

The system I would play is 4-2-3-1. It's difficult to name a starting line up when I don't know what our squad will be but I would dearly hope that signing a keeper, centre back and a left back are absolute priorities. Personally I think we need 7 new players to have a squad capable of top 6 they are a keeper, centre back x2, right back, left back, central midfield, winger. If we were to do this then my starting 11 would look something like this. 

New GK

Nyambe           Lenihan              New CB      New LB

Travis                 Johnson/New                 

Holtby                          Dack                          Rothwell/New

Armstrong

That's probably our best lineup at the moment but suffers from extreme narrowness. Also I'd have Evans over Johnson though when fit (a rare occurrence).

A "best we can do" side missing three players, which has three number 10s in it, and excludes two strikers who cost us a combined £12m tells you everything you need to know. 

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well if he moves to someone like Sunderland my theory will be bang on :) Would be a great move. 

Point is it still doesn't sit well with people sitting out his contract doing naff all and being allowed to do so at a club were every penny counts.

Yes he's perfectly within his rights to do so but to paying supporters stumping up their hard earned you can't be surprised it wrankles. Especially when the club needs every penny to put towards the team.  Probably doesn't seem like a big deal at the end of a keyboard but it is it's taking the piss really.

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Point is it still doesn't sit well with people sitting out his contract doing naff all and being allowed to do so at a club were every penny counts.

Yes he's perfectly within his rights to do so but to paying supporters stumping up their hard earned you can't be surprised it wrankles. Especially when the club needs every penny to put towards the team.  Probably doesn't seem like a big deal at the end of a keyboard but it is it's taking the piss really.

So you would prefer he went on loan whilst we paid him? Mmm' ok then. Get out there and earn your money boy!  I think any fan who is overly bothered by the Smallwood situation needs to get a grip and some perspective on whats important at the football club and in their lives to be honest ? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

So you would prefer he went on loan whilst we paid him? Mmm' ok then. Get out there and earn your money boy!  I think any fan who is overly bothered by the Smallwood situation needs to get a grip and some perspective on whats important at the football club and in their lives to be honest ? 

Stock answer from you when you've dug another hole one day you'll hold your hands up and say yeah ok ?

Play the ball not the man and where in gods name did anyone say send him somewhere else and we pay him. The whole point is getting him off the payroll or at least some of his wages for a while which is what tends to happen.

Get inside out of the sun mucker.

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

maybe thats why he is looking Ben Whiteman to play the passing midfielder and a reason why Downing played so much in centre midfield last season. I don't think Holtby can play that role for me. Much better playing the number 10 role or inside right role. 

So if you wanting to play that counter attacking football style what would your formation and starting 11 be please Ewood Ace? Just want to hear your thoughts on it  and genuine interested in them

What would yours be going into next season, including any signings? (not the actual player but the position eg new GK) And what would your view be if we did sign a winger, are you totally against having wingers or just dont think Mowbray is interested in them.

I personally think that we are dying for width. None of our wide players this season have been effective. Goalkeeper, centre back and left back are all obvious areas but out wide isnt far behind.

Next season the only current players we have to play in the back 5 are Lenihan and Nyambe. So obviously need a competent keeper, LB and CB. Evans and Travis are fine in CM. Dack just off Armstrong as the main 2 up front. I sadly dont think its realistic to sign 2 wingers, so one of Holtby, Rothwell, Chapman or Rankin Costello on the other side. Probably Holtby with width on the other side.

Stick Dillon Phillips, Cunningham, Ayala and Jones into those 4 slots and we look much better but that obviously isnt realistic and theres minimal chance of holding onto our key players.

Whiteman is a rumour that surely cannot have any legs to it. Central midfield well down the list of priorities.

• Like 1

@roversfan99 Since you've seen repeatedly that Mowbray isn't interested in playing with width and that any wingers we do sign (Chapman) inevitably just rot away, why do you still sorely want us to buy wingers?

I completely agree that we should play with width and that we need wingers to do so. But since we very clearly are not going to play that way, what's the point of buying a winger?

Anything that lowers the budget enough to lower the quality of CB or GK we get is a no go for me. At least those (surely) can't be played out of position by TM.

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Stock answer from you when you've dug another hole one day you'll hold your hands up and say yeah ok ?

Play the ball not the man and where in gods name did anyone say send him somewhere else and we pay him. The whole point is getting him off the payroll or at least some of his wages for a while which is what tends to happen.

Get inside out of the sun mucker.

You're making no sense as you tend to do when you get annoyed. He was given a contract, why in gods name would he go somewhere on less? Would you? I suppose you would so going off your comments. Fair play to you. Anyway, it's an irrelevance really. Good servant, best of luck to the lad. I am sure the club will bounce back from paying him the last few months.

Go and have a lie down now and don't be tempted to go and give Richie abuse on Instagram  ? 

Contracted players go on loan all the time, bloody hell every team in the EFL is full of loanees. The player never misses out financially, it will normally be a wage split between the two clubs.

Smallwood stands out, as he didn’t go on loan for some game time, which he’s perfectly entitled to do, but the fact it was so noticeable shows it’s not the norm to sit out a year when fit.

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You're making no sense as you tend to do when you get annoyed. He was given a contract, why in gods name would he go somewhere on less? Would you? I suppose you would so going off your comments. Fair play to you. Anyway, it's an irrelevance really. Good servant, best of luck to the lad. I am sure the club will bounce back from paying him the last few months.

Go and have a lie down now and don't be tempted to go and give Richie abuse on Instagram  ? 

Ha ha there you go again, now it's half pay ?   Not how it works and you know it they get paid the same it's between the parent club and loaning club to sort who makes up what percentage. 

I follow no players on anything i leave that to fanboys like thee.  I wish him well but he's blotted his copybook but he probably couldn't get away with it at most other clubs.  That's a different argument though.

Edited by tomphil

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

@roversfan99 Since you've seen repeatedly that Mowbray isn't interested in playing with width and that any wingers we do sign (Chapman) inevitably just rot away, why do you still sorely want us to buy wingers?

I completely agree that we should play with width and that we need wingers to do so. But since we very clearly are not going to play that way, what's the point of buying a winger?

Anything that lowers the budget enough to lower the quality of CB or GK we get is a no go for me. At least those (surely) can't be played out of position by TM.

Obviously it has specifically been provoked by a link to a winger. But because my opinion is that we need one and that our wide players (well who have played there) havent contributed in a way that we need. 

We also apparently wanted wingers in January and I think Mowbray was quoted as such so the penny may drop. Indeed the Chapman incident will of course have more to it than him just being a winger.

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Ha ha there you go again, now it's half pay ?   Not how it works and you know it they get paid the same it's between the parent club and loaning club to sort who makes up what percentage. 

I follow no players on anything i leave that to fanboys like thee.  I wish him well but he's blotted his copybook but he probably couldn't get away with it at most other clubs.  That's a different argument though.

Only League 2 clubs interested on loan apparently. How much you honestly reckon they would contribute? 

Well, lets just hang tight and see where he ends up. That will tell how blotted his copybook is. 

Ya, well whether he should have gotten an extension in the first place is certainly a different discussion. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Only League 2 clubs interested on loan apparently. How much you honestly reckon they would contribute? 

Well, lets just hang tight and see where he ends up. That will tell how blotted his copybook is. 

Ya, well whether he should have gotten an extension in the first place is certainly a different discussion. 

His copybook with some fans i mean as to confidently sit out so long it looks like he has something sorted elsewhere or an offer has been there a long time.  Or maybe even a loyalty bonus or something due from Rovers when his deal ends that might have been null and void had he sought some kind of move.  Who knows these contracts contain all sorts.

Just find it hard to fathom an all action lad so keen as him when he's on the pitch would just wipe out a year of playing.

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

His copybook with some fans i mean as to confidently sit out so long it looks like he has something sorted elsewhere or an offer has been there a long time.  Or maybe even a loyalty bonus or something due from Rovers when his deal ends that might have been null and void had he sought some kind of move.  Who knows these contracts contain all sorts.

Just find it hard to fathom an all action lad so keen as him when he's on the pitch would just wipe out a year of playing.

He got married so maybe his missus had a word ?

2 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

Downing in centre midfield. Some of our worst football last season was played when Downing played there. It's a big reason why opinions on Downing and whether he should be given another contract changed drastically after Christmas.

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Counter-theory: Downing is excellent at keeping the ball which is an integral part of a team doing well in the style we're (supposedly) moving towards, but becomes ineffective when he's there to be our main creative threat in midfield. 

So a fully fit team with Dack and others who can play a bit means that Downing plays an important role in making us tick. When he's playing a three in midfield with two ball-winners and there's no Dack in front of him, he isn't threatening enough to be our go-to creator and whilst he'll still likely find a Rovers shirt, it won't be in a way that threatens the opposition. 

I didn't see any obvious signs of Downing struggling massively from a physical point of view post lockdown, so I'd lean more towards the changes in the team not suiting him rather than a sign that he's not up to it anymore. I'd be wary of offering him big wages, but I'd still try to fit him within our budget if possible. 

• Like 3

• Backroom

Smallwood knows he'll never get a contract close to this one again so is making sure he gets every penny from it. Blame is 100% on TM and we can add the last year and a half of Smallwood's wages to the £12m & Mulgrew's wages that have likely eaten up massive portions of our budget.

Tbf we took Rodwell after he drained Sunderland of more wages in a week than Smallwood costs us in six months, so not sure the club or any supporters can cry ethics unless they were vocally against Rodwell's signing because he'd robbed a living at Sunderland for two years. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

@Mercer what do you know of him? 

He looks ok from the online coverage you can find online but without seeing him live hard to judge 

Never seen him play.

Told he reads the game well, makes good decisions and is brave and agile. 

From what I'm told, would be a big upgrade on Walton and Leutwiler.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Never seen him play.

Told he reads the game well, makes good decisions and is brave and agile. 

From what I'm told, would be a big upgrade on Walton and Leutwiler.  

Thanks for the reply 

Me and you drunk would be better than Leutwiler Mercer :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

The system I would play is 4-2-3-1. It's difficult to name a starting line up when I don't know what our squad will be but I would dearly hope that signing a keeper, centre back and a left back are absolute priorities. Personally I think we need 7 new players to have a squad capable of top 6 they are a keeper, centre back x2, right back, left back, central midfield, winger. If we were to do this then my starting 11 would look something like this. 

New GK

Nyambe           Lenihan              New CB      New LB

Travis                 Johnson/New                 

Holtby                          Dack                          Rothwell/New

Armstrong

Thanks for the squad

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

What would yours be going into next season, including any signings? (not the actual player but the position eg new GK) And what would your view be if we did sign a winger, are you totally against having wingers or just dont think Mowbray is interested in them.

I personally think that we are dying for width. None of our wide players this season have been effective. Goalkeeper, centre back and left back are all obvious areas but out wide isnt far behind.

Next season the only current players we have to play in the back 5 are Lenihan and Nyambe. So obviously need a competent keeper, LB and CB. Evans and Travis are fine in CM. Dack just off Armstrong as the main 2 up front. I sadly dont think its realistic to sign 2 wingers, so one of Holtby, Rothwell, Chapman or Rankin Costello on the other side. Probably Holtby with width on the other side.

Stick Dillon Phillips, Cunningham, Ayala and Jones into those 4 slots and we look much better but that obviously isnt realistic and theres minimal chance of holding onto our key players.

Whiteman is a rumour that surely cannot have any legs to it. Central midfield well down the list of priorities.

First I have no idea on Whiteman rumour you need to asked the source of the info which was @Sparks Rover . 

Thought-out Mowbray time at the club hasn't played with natural wingers at the club apart from Conway during his time here as I have repeating said to yourself several times. If he is looking to buy or loan one a winger then its looks like a change of Strategy

I would play a 4-2-3-1 formation                 

New keeper

Nyambe(or better attacking full back) Lenihan  New CB New LB

Travis  Evans/Buckley

Brereton/Holtby   Dack         Rothwell

Armstrong

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We also apparently wanted wingers in January and I think Mowbray was quoted as such so the penny may drop. Indeed the Chapman incident will of course have more to it than him just being a winger.

Didn't we look to sign Jordan Jones from Liverpool who isn't a winger? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for the squad

First I have no idea on Whiteman rumour you need to asked the source of the info which was @Sparks Rover . 

Thought-out Mowbray time at the club hasn't played with natural wingers at the club apart from Conway during his time here as I have repeating said to yourself several times. If he is looking to buy or loan one a winger then its looks like a change of Strategy

I would play a 4-2-3-1 formation                 

New keeper

Nyambe(or better attacking full back) Lenihan  New CB New LB

Travis  Evans/Buckley

Brereton/Holtby   Dack         Rothwell

Armstrong

Didn't we look to sign Jordan Jones from Liverpool who isn't a winger? 

So you would personally opt to have Ben Brereton as a wide man? Or you think thats what will happen? Would you personally like to see a winger or 2 at the club?

We wanted a winger in January. I hope we want one now budget allowing because nobody who has played out wide this season has been effective bar maybe Armstrong who is a striker.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18204589.mowbray-atsu-rovers-failure-add-january/